The First Day

Twinkle

“CURFEW?!!! What are we? Minor teenagers? What are those stupid rules?” The two girls complained in chorus and in a totally in synced fashion.

 

“Unnie! You cannot let this happen!” Seohyun cried.

 

The two girls’ whines continued ringing on the leader’s ears and they were making her go crazy. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before she cried out the pent-up frustrations she had inside just waiting to explode.

 

“CAN YOU PLEASE SHUT UP FOR A WHILE?! DON’T ASK ME ABOUT THOSE RULES ANYMORE, OKAY! They are the least of my concerns! Just obey them, PLEASE! And this conversation is over! Over!” she yelled and then stomped to her room slamming her door to them. Tiffany and Seohyun were both floored. It was the first time they had seen their leader this mad and she had never yelled at them even once until now.

-------------------

 

Once inside her room, she immediately threw herself to bed and closed her eyes for a moment wishing that this was just a long bad dream. When it seemed like it was only a matter of seconds before she could be completely immersed in the dreamland, the sound of the fax machine interrupted her sleep. A fax machine was installed in the leader’s room to ensure that that hard copy of schedules and scripts could be received by them.

 

Taeyeon got up lazily from bed and walked toward the desk where the fax machine was located. A sheet of paper slipped out and her eyes widened when she saw the message.

 

“I knew you would not keep the list of rules I have given you. So just in case you throw it in the trash or tear it into pieces, I faxed you a copy of it. Even though I have already explained it to the other members, I still like for you to have a hard copy of it. Post it on the wall of your living room so that it can easily be seen as a daily reminder or all of you. I’ll inspect it tomorrow early morning. By the way that’s an order. Remember, I’ll be closely watching you.

 

So just in case you throw it in the trash or tear it into pieces, I faxed you a copy of it. How can he read my actions?” Taeyeon asked.

 

A second sheet of paper slipped and it was no other than the list of rules. Taeyeon pulled it out and chucked it inside the drawer. She’ll take care of it tomorrow. But first, she needed to calm herself. She searched for pictures of Jungsu in the the internet. She knew she could find him among the media pictures of the celebrities under their agency. When she found a decent one, she cropped and enlarged it.

 

As Taeyeon was busy working on this, Tiffany opened her room a bit and peered through the tiny gap in between.

 

“What is unnie doing?” Seohyun asked in a whisper.

 

“I don’t know, she was busy doing something on her laptop.” Tiffany said.  “Oops, she is coming.” As Taeyeon was leaving her seat, Tiffany also left her post and went back to the couch like nothing happened.

 

Taeyeon printed the manager’s photo and pasted it on her bedroom wall. She opened her room and walked outside their dorm in a hurry. “I’m going out. Don’t wait for me and go to sleep already. It’s already late. You’re past your sleeping time.” She told them before going out.

 

Seohyun stared open-mouthed at the leader’s retreating back. “What did she just say? Go to sleep because it’s already past our sleeping time? Are we little kids?”

 

Tiffany just shrugged her shoulders. She also found it weird.

---------------

 

Taeyeon arrived at the apartment with a set of darts on her hands. Thinking that the two were already asleep, she walked straight at her room. Seohyun sneaked a peek from her door when she heard the door of their apartment clicked open. She saw the handful of darts that Taeyeon brought and she wondered where she would be using those.

 

Taeyeon got inside her room and threw the darts at the poor photograph, lashing out all his anger at him. “Park Jungsu, you’re going to pay for this!” She never stopped until she was completely satisfied.

 

However, it did not last long because her nemesis once again visited her even in her dreams and his words echoed in his ears and haunted her.

 

“…will watch closely over you.”

“…watch closely over you.”

 

“…watch closely…”

 

“…closely…”

 

And then RINNNNGGG!!!

 

Taeyeon woke up at the sound of her alarm clock. She sat up on her bed and fumbled for her alarm clock on her bedside table. “What’s the time?” she said as she rubbed her eyes. She got out of her bed and did her earliest task of waking the members up. Seohyun was not much of a problem since she was an early riser. Her only trouble was Tiffany who slumbers like a Sleeping Beauty.

 

Just then she received a text message from an anonymous number.

 

“I’ll be there in 45 minutes. Be sure you are all ready. Isn’t it nice to arrive at the location a bit ahead of time? You know, you get time to relax, bond, etc. –Jungsu.”

 

“45 MINUTES???” Taeyeon face palmed and grumbled. “You pain in my head and pain in my !” She shot another dart to his photo. “You inconsiderate –“ another glance at her clock told her that 5 minutes have passed, the same 5 minutes that she wasted with her gripes. “Aish! Never mind!”

 

Taeyeon raided Tiffany’s room and she found Tiffany still curled up in bed hugging her bolster pillow. Taeyeon shook Tiffany. “Tiffany you need to wake up now.” However, Tiffany just groaned. “My beauty sleep is not enough yet. Sica-sunbae said that beauty sleep is very important.”

 

Taeyeon gritted her teeth. She removed the blanket covering Tiffany. “Fany, get out of that bed now!”

 

“YAH! What the heck is wrong you?” Tiffany complained.

 

“What’s wrong with me? I am your leader! You should follow me! Did I not tell you to sleep early? Now get off that bed or I’ll chuck all your pink collection and even Jackson out of the window!!!”

 

Tiffany sat up on her bed. “Gosh, why are you always at edge? You don’t have to resort to those.” She got out reluctantly and walked to the shower like a zombie.

 

“Hurry! You only have 40 minutes.”

 

“Unnie, chill. If you continue to act like that, you’ll have wrinkles.” Seohyun chirped in who was seated in an Indian style at the corner of the living room. “Rest your mind like this… uhm…” She said then she closed her eyes and continued her meditation.

 

“Stop sitting there like a Buddha. We have roughly 40 minutes to prepare!” Taeyeon told Seohyun.

 

“BWOH? Recording is still slated for an hour later.”

 

“But manager-from-hell will come in 40 minutes to pick us up! So hurry now!”

 ---------------------

 

On the other side Seoul’s Han River, Tiffany is not the only one who is a sleepyhead and Taeyeon isn’t the only one who is having a hard time waking the other up.

 

Suho, the right-hand man of Kyuhyun’s grandfather and now apparently becoming Kyuhyun’s nanny. Ever since the day Kyuhyun arrived at the Cho Mansion, he has been entitled with the task of watching over the only grandson of the chairman and president of Starlight Entertainment, taking care of him, and in charge of controlling him as much as possible using the best of his abilities.

 

If you think this task is easy, think again, especially if this involved a rebellious brat named Cho Kyuhyun. What happened this morning is not an exception and Suho ended up having a harder time than Taeyeon.

 

 As usual, Suho marched to Kyuhyun’s room and knocked on his door with his routine dialog. “Master Kyuhyun, it’s time to wake up now. First day of your job, remember? For sure, Miss Seohyun will be surely be waiting for you.”

 

As usual, the response that he got was just a vague and incomprehensible grunt. He had no choice but to enter the bedroom. When he got inside, he saw Kyuhyun sprawled on bed and still on the snooze mode. He was even drooling. Right beside his bed was the stash of game consoles let scattered on the desk. “Honestly, what else is new?” Suho sighed inwardly.

 

Each morning this has always been the case. Nothing much has changed except for the reason he was waking him up.

 

“If you want to escape from this so-called prison of yours, you should get out of that bed now.”  Suho said.

 

“Shut up.” Kyuhyun answered. “I still want to sleep.”

 

Suho thought it would be easier now but he could not believe he was mistaken. Whether it’s waking him for a breakfast meeting with his grandfather or for a job that would get him out of this house that he hated, the response was still the same.

 

He drew the curtains and let the sun light came in which had Kyuhyun squinting his eyes to the sudden brightness.

 

“I already told you before that you should sleep early so that you wake up early. But what did you do? You play games again until the wee hours –“

 

“You’re not my mother, Suho.” Kyuhyun cut him off. Suho was floored.

 

There was a bit of silence before Suho decided he had to resort to desperate measures.

 

“If you don’t get up now,” Suho said in a threatening tone, “I’ll throw all your consoles away. I’m sorry but I have to do this.”

 

“Go and try.” He said in a grave tone. His eyes opened and sent him death glares.

 

Suho was taken aback but he has to maintain a firm disposition. One of his tasks was to control him with the best of his abilities anyway.

 

“You leave me with no choice now.” Suho said, trying his best to stop his voice from shaking. He walked towards Kyuhyun’s game console and…

 

“DO NOT TOUCH THEM!!!!!!!”

 

Kyuhyun’s voice erupted from the room and minutes later, Kyuhyun was all prepared and was already walking side by side with Jungsu and with Suho tailing behind them. As for Suho, he earned a bump on his head from attempting to touch his young master’s consoles.

 

“Why so early?” Kyuhyun grumbled. “And you,” he turned to Suho. “Can’t you see it’s drizzling? Where’s the umbrella?” he asked sharply.

 

“It seems like he is still in bad mood with me.” Suho thought.

 

“Palli!” Kyuhyun yelled.

 

“W-wait! Already coming!” Suho immediately rushed and opened the umbrella. He quickened his steps to catch up with Kyuhyun who was already several steps ahead of him. Jungsu was just watching the scene in front of him silently and based on what he had witnessed all that he could say was he found the male version of Seohyun.

 

“It was the first time that I’ve seen a personal assistant who also has his own personal assistant. Personal assistant’s personal assistant, who would have thought a job description like that, would exist? Jungsu commented.

 

“Mind your own business.” Kyuhyun retorted.

 

“Excuse me, for your own information, even though you are the only grandson of the president of the company I’m working in. This time around, I’m your boss here and your grandfather granted me the right to subject you to my authority. Understand that, kid?” Jungsu replied.

-----------------

 

Taeyeon was all ready and today she thought she had probably set a personal record of having the shortest and quickest preparation of all time and that already included packing, choosing outfits, dress, and makeup all accomplished within less than 40 minutes. Now, she just has to wait for those two girls who moved like turtles relative to her.

 

She sat at the living room getting more and more uneasy with every second that passed and it did not help that her migraine was kicking in again. She massaged her temple with her other hand while the other was squeezing a stress ball.

 

“You are the cause of all this,” she said as she squeezed the ball tighter. She was already feeling in 7th heaven in her life of limelight until he came into the picture and turned it into living hell. That’s right, she thought, she already has a nickname for him.

 

“Manager-from-hell Park Jungsu! You called me a seagull star! Now, you’ll feel the wrath of this Seagull Star!” she said to herself. She glanced at the clock. There is still five minutes left before that manager-from-hell arrived. She stared intensely at the door waiting for his arrival. The doorbell rang and she did not respond. She already left the door unlocked beforehand. She just let the guest come inside their room on his own.  And then the knob turned and the door was opened. A smirk was formed in Taeyeon’s lips. The moment that person stepped in, Taeyeon hurled the stress ball straight at visitor and it hit the target’s head.

 

“And that’s one for you! Do you think you can boss me around like that, Park Jungsu! You don’t know me yet! This is the real Kim Taeyeon!” Watching that person wince from pain, Taeyeon felt satisfied like she has scored a winning point. Everything went perfectly as she imagined it to be except for one thing.

 

That person is NOT Park Jungsu.

 

“What’s happening with y— Siwon-shi?” Tiffany rushed to Siwon’s side and examined the part o his ace where the ball hit him. “Why did you hit my bodyguard?”

 

“Your b-bodyguard? He’s n-not Jungsu?” Taeyeon asked. This realization dampened her feeling of victory. In that moment, Taeyeon wanted to shrink on the spot. It was such an embarrassing moment for her.

 

Seohyun came out of her room and also got curious of the incident. “What happened? I heard Taeyeon-unnie yelling and – what’s going on?” She saw Tiffany tending to a guy she never met before and eyeing Taeyeon blamefully. The said leader was covering her face with her hands.

 

 “Seriously, have you gone crazy?” Tiffany asked their leader. Just then the door opened and revealed Jungsu and Kyuhyun. They overheard the conversation.

 

“Who has gone crazy?”

------------------

 

“Are you that much desperate to get even with me?” Jungsu asked as he and Taeyeon were seated inside his car. “You started yelling randomly thinking that it was me and as revenge you wanted to hit me with what – a stress ball? No wonder everyone thinks you’re crazy.”

 

“Thanks for reminding me.” Taeyeon said with her voice filled of sarcasm.

 

She kept her face away from him simply because after the incident she felt that she had no more face to show him. Even though she hated to admit it, she could never change the fact that she had embarrassed herself in front of him. She believes that in every battle, one must always show that he/she got the upperhand. Any weaknesses should be kept secret from the opponent. But right now, she was simply at a disadvantage. What happened to her motto in life that states that what Taeyeon wants, Taeyeon must get and she must get it the way she wanted it to be. Seriously, what happened to that anymore? How did she become a puppet now to this person who suddenly popped into her life?

 

“Do I really drive you crazy?” Jungsu asked as he leaned to her ear. Taeyeon turned to him and found herself face to face with him with only several inches between them.

 

“Seatbelt please,” Jungsu told her as he reached over her and fastened the seatbelt for her. He went back to his seat afterwards while Taeyeon remained frozen on her spot. Could not get Taeyeon’s reaction off his mind, he suddenly cackled a laugh amidst the brief silence between them.

 

“What is funny?!” Taeyeon snarled.

 

“You,” Jungsu snickered. “What do you think I’m going to do with you? Your eyes popped out of your socket. It’s like going to fall anytime. OMO! It’s really so hilarious. HAHAHA!”

 

“If you’re just going to make fun of me, can I just go back to my members’ car?! Taeyeon snapped.

 

“You can’t,” Jungsu said waving a finger in front of her. “I told you countless times already, as long as you did not abide by the rules, I will continue to watch over you closely. I’m serious about that.”

 

And Taeyeon’s nightmare continues.

---------------------

 

Meanwhile, on the other car, Tiffany was still overly worried about Siwon’s condition. She even brought an ice pack with her.

 

“Siwon-shi, if you don’t treat that, it will create a mark on your handsome face.” Tiffany told him as she put the ice pack on the minor swelling just a little above his right eyebrow.

 

“I’m really fine and besides I can do it on my own, thanks.” Siwon said as he grabbed the ice pack from Tiffany and applied it to affected part himself.

 

“No. Let me. I really like to personally take care of my employees,” Tiffany stole the ice pack from him.

“I really appreciate it –“

 

Omo! He said he appreciates it,” Tiffany giggled inside.

 

“-but I rather do it myself.” Siwon seized the ice pack from her.

 

“This is so tiring to watch,” Seohyun interjected. “Unnie, that was just a stress ball. It cannot even cause a concussion or God’s sake. One more thing, I thought he is a top agent. How come he cannot even manage to dodge a mere thing like that?” the maknae chided.

 

“Seohyun, what happened today is totally an exception. That is totally unexpected! Who would have thought Taeyeon will act like that?” Tiffany cried out in defense.

 

“Whatever.” Seohyun replied nonchalantly. “Speaking of unnie, why is she not with us?” asked Seohyun.

 

“That Jungsu man said that they have something to talk about.” Tiffany answered.

 

“Are these all the boxes that you have?” Kyuhyun panted as he carried a dozen of boxes in his arms. He placed them at the back of the car. He sat there for a while to catch his breath. “Geez, I’m really not a morning person. Why am I already doing this so early in the morning?” he muttered while wiping the sweat on his forehead with the back of his hand.

 

“There are still more at the security office. Bring them all here. Quick!” Seohyun ordered. Kyuhyun’s jaw dropped.

 

“WHAT? There are still more?” Kyuhyun asked with a wide-eyed expression.

 

“Are you complaining?” Seohyun asked sharply. “If you just went here to complain, you can just leave.”

 

“Of course not, Miss Seohyun. Anything for you,” Kyuhyun replied through clenched teeth. She was really testing him but he won’t give up. The mighty Kyuhyun does not give up. Anyway, this was only the beginning.

-----------------

 

“Now that we’re gathered here,” Jungsu announced as they arrived in front of the TV station. “I have something to tell to all of you. Today is the first day we all got to work together so I expect that we get along well so that the latter incident will never happen again.”

 

“He reminds me of our guidance counselor,” Seohyun muttered under her breath.

 

“Of course we’ll work well together.” Tiffany giggled as he linked her arms with Siwon. It was very obvious to everyone that she was completely smitten with him. While Tiffany was lovey-dovey with Siwon, on the other hand, the atmosphere was tense for Seohyun and Kyuhyun. It was also the same for Taeyeon and Jungsu but Taeyeon was successful in masking it with a smile.

 

“I also expect that Miss Taeyeon here will serve as a role model for her members,” Jungsu gave Taeyeon a knowing look and nodded to Kyuhyun’s direction. The latter was carrying a stack of boxes that almost covered half of his face. Taeyeon got what he meant. She motioned the other driver to come. “Please get all those boxes from Kyuhyun-shi and return them to the security office of the apartment. The driver followed and Seohyun watched the scene with shock. She was about to open to complain but Taeyeon cut her off. “Seohyun, you brought too many luggages. Just leave the others behind.”

 

Jungsu glanced surreptitiously at Kyuhyun and muttered, “You owe me one this time.”

 

Kyuhyun replied with a smile. “Thank you, hyung.”

 

And they all know that this will be a long day.