pitch black

Tides

 

The closer we got to the concert hall, the heavier the clouds seemed to become. Suho was driving so I was free to examine the sky as it was getting darker. I furrowed my eyebrows at the sight of the thick mountains of clouds, their contours retraced by the last bits of sunlight so they almost looked spooky. I wasn't a fan of upcoming thunder storms, so I unconcsiously pulled my lips together as a sign of slight dislike. „We should propably hurry up“, I mumbled, more to myself than to Suho, but he reacted anyway. That's what I loved most about him. He cared.
 

„It's not far anymore“, he reassured me in his most comforting voice. I didn't notice I had sat up stiffly until he took his hand away from the gearshift and placed it on my thigh. I twitched and looked down onto his hand, then my body sunk back into the soft cushion of the passenger seat. My left hand automatically slid under his fingers and he squeezed them with a smile – just in time to distract me from the first thunder rumbling over our heads. Suho squeezed my hand a little harder when it twitched under his, running his thumb over my finger tips again and again while paying attention to the traffic in front of us. I almost felt bad for being so obviously afraid of something as banal as a thunder storm so I tried to pull myself together. I didn't care about rain or bad weather in general – the only thing I didn't like was the sensory overload.
 

I smiled back at my boyfriend and let him take his hand away to put it on the gear shift again while I fumbled with the hemline of my dress, being careful not to look out of the window. I hated seeing the lightning crash down onto the ground, knowing it would instantly be followed by growling thunder. I was so busy keeping myself from paying too much attention to the weather outside of the car that I didn't even notice Suho looking at me from the side. He must have sensed that I was anxiously trying to distract myself, because he suddenly asked me to check if we had taken the tickets with us. I blinked at him, actually taken off guard for a moment.


„Uh...“, I began, not really knowing what to say, and he laughed. „What? We're almost there. I just want to make sure were not going to go through all the parking-spot-trouble for nothing.“ I shook my head in confusion, but when the next thunder seemed to unload all of its bad temper right next to our car, I decided that checking my purse for the tickets would be a fun thing to do acutally. I bent down to grab the small bag from under my seat, then clicked it open. I knew exactly where I had put the two ticket strips the organizer had sent to us just a few days ago, so I tried to pull them out without looking. But when I noticed my hands weren't touching anything but the thick air inside the purse and my apartment keys, I shuddered.
 

I pulled the purse up so I could take a closer look inside of it, roaming everything that was already in it aside multiple times so I was able to make sure the tickets weren't just hiding away in some unclear corner of the bag. But they weren't. I almost buried my nose in it to forage for the two slips of paper, but no success. Oh crap. I automatically formed an 'O' with my mouth in shock, and Suho turned his face to look at me while we had to wait at a traffic light. When I glanced out of the front windshield, I could already see the concert hall. We really were almost there. „Is everything alright?“, Suho asked, changing down so the car softly bucked for a second. I pressed my lips together, then shook my head. „We forgot to bring the tickets“, I admitted, my voice swaying between guilt and anger.
 

My boyfriend's eyes widened for a moment and he lost his comforting smile, scanning my face for any hint of a joke. I opened the purse, pointing its inside towards Suho so he could see I wasn't lying. He thumped the steering wheel, pensively looking out of the front windshield, then back at me. „I thought I had packed them right before leaving“, he said, obviously trying to retrace every step he made before we left my apartment. „Yeah, me too!“, I added, then I furrowed my brows, „and that's our source of errors, I guess.“ He laughed lightly at my almost resigned remark. „So nobody took it?“ I crumbled my lips but I couldn't help but smile at the situation that was so like us. Or – like me, actually. He was my organized better half, but I was slowly getting worried that I might have influenced him in some way. „Seems like it. Oh my god, Suho, I'm so sorry!“, I burst out, somewhere between laughing and apologizing desperately.

He shook is head rejecting my apologies just like I knew he would, but I didn't want him to take the fault on his shoulders alone. „Oh my, I knew we should have checked twice“, I giggled, still shaking my head in sheer disbelief. How could we forget the tickets? I had been so busy getting dressed over and over again that I had completely blurred out on more important things.
 

„We could try to get in anyway, they gave us a certain number in case something would go wrong“, Suho tried to calm me down, and the longer I thought about it, the more I got through to the fact that this was propably the only possibilty we had left. Because I really wanted to see that violinist and I knew Suho did too, so I just nodded and sunk back into my seat. „Or should we go back and risk being late?“, my boyfriend then asked, and I sat up again immediately, shaking my head no as clearly as I could. „No! That's – we'll try it like you said before.“ The thunder storm was getting louder anyway, I didn't want to spend any more minute out here where it wasn't as safe as I needed it to be. Suho furrowed his eyebrows, he clearly didn't think his first idea was promising enough. But before he was able to say something, I reacted.
 

„Drive already! The traffic light's turned green seconds ago!“
 

And without even knowing that this was right, I said it. From that moment on, everything went faster than we would have thought. Suho, still distracted from our little discussion about the further course of the evening, didn't take another look around before he accelerated. Little did we know that it hadn't been seconds that the traffic light had turned green but it was already on the edge of turning red again – the absence of any driver behind us had made us neglect that circumstance. But others had watched the traffic lights very clearly. Someone of the opposite direction accelerated just in time with us, but lightning strucking a high building not far from where we were took that person's attention away from the road and last but not least the slippery pavement did its job.
 

The last thing I remember was the way I buried my fingers into the cushion of my seat and the seat belt cutting my upper arm from how sharply Suho was breaking. But it was no use. I took another look back to my boyfriend, but he was busy trying to get us out of the situation, his facial features so hard I knew it wasn't his natural self anymore. I felt like shedding tears of panic at the sight of him and I wanted to reach out for his hand, but the clock was ticking too fast.
 

When we crashed, everything around me suddenly turned pitch black.