Prologue

Tides

 

“Are you ready, MiYoung?”

When I heard a familiar voice address me, I blinked hastily and then turned around to face the entrance of my bedroom. Suho was leaning against the door frame, his arms loosely crossed in front of his chest, and I couldn’t help but let my eyes linger on his appearance for a moment. Whenever he turned up in my sight, I seemed to snap out of all my senses, and this phenomenon hadn’t gotten any better since the first time he stood in my door. He slightly tilted his head to one side so it would lean against the door frame, and that movement brought me back from my drifting cloud of silent amazement.
 

Suho and I were going to see a famous violinist’s concert that night, and he said he’d come over early so there wouldn’t be any chance for him to be late and ruin the beginning of the concert for us. I agreed because I was really eager to finally experience my favorite musician in a live concert, but now it seemed like I was the one on the edge of being late. I had told him to take a seat in my living room and watch TV until I was ready to leave – but my ‘getting ready’ phase turned out to take longer than I would have thought.
 

 I smiled at him almost guiltily. “Yes… almost.” Suho laughed his typical laughter, light and melodic, and then shook his head knowingly. “I could swear that’s what you said half an hour ago.” I playfully grimaced at him while I shoved the strap of my floral dress up my shoulder and then I faced the mirror again to check for any flaws. Whenever my boyfriend and I were going out together, I was in pains to dress up so that I would be able to keep up with his effortless elegance. He was wearing black pants and a white shirt that complimented his silhouette, and that was all he needed to wear to look classier than anyone else could. And every time I noticed that it would hardly be possible for me to match him because effortlessly elegant wasn’t the way I had been born, I felt like changing my clothes again.
 

Suho’s tense sigh was almost inaudible, but it reached me in no time. I bit my lower lip as I realized I had sunk into these nagging thoughts once more though he had told me not to waste my time on them ever again, and lowered my gaze when he left the door frame and stepped next to me. I knew he hated it when I was doubting my appearance. He found me beautiful and he didn't save on telling me about it everytime I was about to complain about how I looked. But sometimes, I just couldn't help it.
He put his right arm around my shoulder, holding me close, while the fingertips of his left hand carefully traced down my exposed upper arm until they reached my fingers. He intertwined them with his and I let out a shaky sigh at the touch.  “Sorry I kept you waiting”, I managed to say. Suho, who had already taken a gentle hold of my fingers, raised them and when they were so close to his face I could feel his breath on them, he let his lips grace the skin on the back of my hand.
 

“It was worth it”, he told me honestly, pushing every doubt I had aside with just his voice.
 

I looked up again. Our gaze met in our reflection and the loving seriousness in his dark brown eyes made me blush. He had now been my boyfriend for almost two years, and still every time we locked eyes, every time he complimented me, I felt my cheeks glow and my body tremble. I was an independent young woman and I knew how to walk on my own two feet, but when Suho had stepped into my life, something about me had changed. I was now able to let feelings show more openly even if I didn’t like them like my restlessness when I was upset – because I knew there was someone who cared and someone who I cared about so strongly it was exciting. It hadn’t taken too long for us to meet again after the first incident and since then, I haven’t been able to escape the comforting warmth of his presence anymore. And I didn’t want to. Ever.
 

“You look okay, too”, I answered, the waggishness in my voice overshadowed by my aquiescent happiness.
 

He laughed, the sound of it flowing through my body. “Thank you”, he said politely but with a coy undertone. My lips curled into a bright smile again and I leaned against his shoulder, breathing out in relaxation. Suho let our hands sink and pressed his lips against my temple, letting them wander down to the corner of my eye and my cheekbone which made me chuckle. I loosened my hand out of his grip and wrapped my arm around his waist, careful not to wrinkle his shirt. The sight of us in the mirror made me feel happy and speechless at the same time.
 

“But we really have to leave”, he then reminded me. I turned my head to look up at him and blinked at him in feigned innocence.
 

“Good”, I said, “I was just about to tell you that I am ready.”

__

Yes, I gave 'you' a name :)
Hope you guys don't mind.