process

Tides

 

Things went on like that for almost two months.
 

In the meantine, they released Suho from hospital, and before that, I visited his room one more time to draw a line under everything that had happened in it. Suho looked up from his already packed suitcase when I came in and smiled at me, obviously feeling relief now that he wasn't going to be forced to spend his days there anymore. I smiled back and took a step towards his bed, standing in front of him but on the opposite side, laying my hands on the suitcase's cover. 'Are you ready?', I asked and he nodded, releasing a light sigh. 'More than ready', he admits, 'except...'
 

I slightly tilted my head to one side, raising my eyebrows a little. What could possibly be an exception from being happy about going home after nearly two weeks of sitting in a hospital bed all day? Suho lowered the cover of his suitcase down on everything that was inside it and the buckles clicked when he fully closed it. He faced his now ready luggage for a moment, then he looked up at me again, almost shyly. 'I know this sounds strange, but can I still call you up to come over sometimes?', he mumbled, keeping eye contact as strongly as he could, and I shivered in excitement. He really wanted me to come over again. My heart skipped a beat at the thought of that because I had already worried about the time after his hospital stay, about whether he would want to see my again that frequently or not.
 

'Uh, I'm … my phone works 24/7', I replied, trying hard to surpress the bouncing undertone that my voice had gotten, but the untypical grin on my face was propaby giving me away anyway. I in some air and calmed myself down as much as I could facing the bed sheets, then I faced my boyfriend again, smiling more softly now. 'I mean, yes. Please … please do.' I After all, I didn't want to irritate him. He still seemed so insecure sometimes and his affection towards me felt fragile, like he still had to struggle to keep it upright. I had already gotten used to that and I had learned how to handle by that time so I didn't want to ruin the constantly flowing relationship we had.
 

Suho blinked in confusion, but then he smiled again – even more loving than before. He always seemed to appreciate my obvious caring about him even though he propably couldn't return it whole-heartedly. I shrugged that thought away. I just wanted him to be happy and if visiting him made him happy, that was absolutely fine with me. 'Thank you, Miyoung', the young man then said as he walked around his bed to stand next to me and nudge my side softly before pulling his suitcase off the bed. 'I'm already looking forward to that.' I felt my cheeks blush and avoided his warming gaze for a moment. 'Me too.'
 

__ ___ __ __ 
 

I was sitting on my sofa reading a book when the phone rang.
 

I turned my head a little to locate its ringtone which took a moment since I tended to just put it anywhere after having given someone a call. I shoved my bookmark between the pages I had been reading and wiggled down from my seat, groaning a little because of the lost comfort. It was about half past nine in the evening, not exactly the time I would have chosen to call someone, but I still picked up the phone without checking its display. I wasn't busy anyway.
 

'Yobuseyeo?'
 

'Hello Miyoung. It's me, Joonmyun.' I slightly gasped at the sound of his voice. Not even my cheap receiver was able to spoil its comforting and warm sound and I felt goosebumps creep up and down my arms. Everytime he called me my heart started racing like it was the first time I talked to him, and I almost felt childish for enjoying the effect he had on me. 'Am I disturbing you?', Suho then asked a little worried since I hadn't answered right away. I snapped out of my silence and laughed at his concerned courtesy. 'Uh, kind of', I replied with a mild playfulness in my voice, 'you know how jealous my sofa gets when I leave it to call you.' He chuckled into the phone and I knew he was shaking his head at my comment. That was one thing he hadn't unlearned.
 

I leaned against the phone table and tugged at the hemline of my call-it-a-day-sweater, ripping off a loose thread. 'Do you think your sofa could live without you for half an hour?', my boyfriend then wanted to know, but it wasn't less of an ironic, rhetorical question and more of a rather real concern. Having forgotten about me often made him talk more informally than he should and worry about things he shouldn't worry about and I always did my best to let that show in a comforting way, trying to joke the awkwardness away. I laughed a little. 'I guess I could convince it to excuse me for a while if your reason is good enough', I thoughtfully answered, and Suho didn't take much time to reply.
 

'I'd like to show you something...' 
 

I jerked a little. His voice had suddenly lost the careful but still coy undertone it had had a second before, he now sounded serious, almost urgent, and I was immediately convinced that the thing he wanted to show me was important to him – and that made my curiousity grow even further. I gulped. 'I think that will do', I said, trying to keep the joking atmosphere upright. 'I'll be right there.' Suho heaved an hardly audible sigh, obviously relaxing. 'Don't forget to wear your coat', he then said in his typical, caring manner before hanging up, 'it's gotten pretty cold outside.'