I become an ice statue.

The Experiment

(A/N: So far, the characters introduced were Sehun & Luhan, Suho & D.O., Chanyeol & Baekhyun, Lay & Chen, and Kris &Tao. I have Xiumin and Kai left, but be patient :P Also, thank you for the comments! They are the most encouraging, and I accept criticism of course. The only reason I post this is to get feedback :D)

As morning came, I sneaked downstairs. The hallways were empty and I saw nobody on the way. I was supposed to be living with 12 guys, but either they were hiding all over this enormous castle, or they were still sleeping. I opened the doors to the outside and breathed in the fresh air. Birds sang above me, trees danced in the wind, and I wondered how things could seem so normal, when I was living in a fantasy book. I smiled and walked outside, ignoring the camera. It's not like I was going to run away. I just wanted to take a little walk. I strolled around the entire castle once, twice, until I decided maybe I could go into the forest. All this time, I didn't realize that someone was walking several meters behind me.

I entered the woods. At one point I thought I saw a deer running away from me in the distance. I almost got used to the fact that I was in a forest, relaxing all by myself, when I noticed a camera attached to a tree above me. Of course. They knew exactly where I was and what I was doing.

I stopped for a moment to listen to the birds. When I stopped walking, a branch cracked behind me. I spun around, and saw a figure ducking behind a tree. I gulped, and broke into a run.

"Wait! Stop!" a voice called. I froze. Literally.

It was really freaky and painful. My feet glued themselves to the ground and I felt a chill run up my spine. I watched as my shoes grew ice, which spread and crawled up my pants. In several seconds, I was frozen to the ground. The freezing cold around my legs prickled and stabbed my skin beneath the material of my pants. I screamed.

"What... are you okay?" the boy ran up to me. I had never seen him before, except in the one picture in the diary.

"No, damn it, I'm not!" I hollered. "It hurts!"

"Oh no," the boy began huffing and puffing onto my legs, trying to melt the ice. He looked so creepy doing so that if I wasn't frozen, I would have kicked him in the face.

"What are you doing?!" I yelled. "Take the ice back!"

"Take it back?" he asked with tears in his eyes. "But... how?"

I thought about the diary. It definitely mentioned frost as one of the powers, and if this boy had any powers at all, frost was definitely it. I should have been staring at the ice in bewilderment, freaking out, panicking, but instead I tried to think logically.

"Alright," I told him. "Focus. Just think of the ice melting."

"I'm t-thinking, but it won't melt," he whimpered.

"Because you're thinking of a thousand things at once!" I scolded. "You have to calm down. Ice. Ice. Just think ice. Melting ice."

The boy repeated what I said, and began murmuring to himself. Several seconds later, the pain slowly began subsiding as the ice melted. I took a wobbly step forward, my pants and feet soaked, but legs free of cold and pain.

"There you go," I smiled.

He looked at me in surprise.

"How did that..."

"I don't think I need to explain it to you, do I?" I asked, worried that he knew nothing about our reason for being here. He shook his head.

"Luhan already told me everything. I just... I didn't know that I would... wow," he exhaled, and sat down on the ground. I put my back against a tree and looked over at a camera in the distance. Did it catch everything on tape? Probably. The scientists now knew that this boy had developed his powers.

I expected some kind of reaction from them. But nothing happened. I guess they listened to their boss, after all. Do not interfere, he had told them.

"I'm Xiumin," the boy introduced himself. I bowed.

"Romi," I said. We sat under a tree in silence for several minutes, before Xiumin whispered, "What's your power, Romi?"

"I don't know," I admitted. "It... didn't come yet."

He nodded.

"Am I the first one?"

"Probably," I shrugged. "I don't know everybody yet, but nobody here bothered telling me their powers, so I'm guessing you're the only one so far."

We talked for a while about what happened. Xiumin tried explaining his feeling to me, but I didn't quite understand what it was like.

"It's the most amazing thing in the world," he shook his head in disbelief. "I didn't have any confidence, but somehow my one thought managed to freeze your legs. Speaking of which..." he looked at me uncertainly. "Are you okay?"

I glanced at my legs. I was still all wet from the melted ice, but the pain was gone. I pulled up my pants. There was not a single mark on my legs.

"I wonder if this is because you didn't actually mean to hurt me," I said. "Would you be able to actually hurt someone? Freeze them to death?"

His eyes grew, and he shook his head.

"Not possible! I don't even want to try!"

Kris would want to know...

"Maybe you wouldn't be able to convince yourself to do it, but physically, you probably have the ability..." I mumbled and he stood up.

"Romi, don't say that! I don't want to use this power for such things! I don't even entirely know how to control it... unlike you."

I blinked.

"Well," he explained. "You told me what to do. How to melt the ice. How did you know?"
I didn't want to tell him about the diary, I'm not sure why. Maybe since it was written by my grandmother... it seemed that I shouldn't be going around, telling people about her secrets.

"Movies," I lied, but he nodded, as if it made sense.

"That's so smart. Romi... you'll help me out, right?"

"What with...?"

"You know," Xiumin came and sat down in front of me. "With my powers. You know more than I do, and quite honestly, I'm freaking out."

I sighed. I was sure that if I got some kind of weird alien ability, I'd be losing it as well.

"First of all, don't be scared," I repeated what my mom told me. "If you're scared, your powers might start acting on their own, trying to protect you. And if you accidentally hurt someone in such a situation... you're dead."

"Right," he nodded, staring at me intently. "I won't be scared."

Liar.

"Anyway, I think we should go back to the mansion," I told him. My stomach was grumbling, demanding at least a piece of toast for breakfast. Xiumin stood up, and held out his hand. I rolled my eyes, but grabbed it anyway. I almost jumped at the touch. So warm, so soft, so human. Not what I expected from an alien who just froze me to the ground several minutes ago.

Together, we walked back through the forest toward the castle.