EPILOGUE

The Experiment

 

*7 years later*

"Romi, you have to go to the hospital," Chanyeol insisted, pulling my legs. I grabbed the sides of my bed in panic and kicked my legs around.

"NO. I AM NOT GOING. I FREAKING HATE DOCTORS, PARK CHANYEOL, YOU KNOW THAT."

"We all do," Chanyeol scowled at the memory. "And I told you to call me Yeollie."

"You're not getting a nickname," I said stubbornly and kicked him away.
"OHMYGOD I GIVE UP," he threw his arms in the air dramatically and left my room. I pouted and curled into a ball. My stomach hurt.

"Romi..." a voice called from the doorway. "I brought you something to eat."

"I'm not hungry, Xiumin. I told you guys, I'll be fine. Just go home already."
"No way. You've been puking and whining for two days now. This is not right and as your friends, we have to take care of you," he said, holding up a spoonful of soup. I love soup, but it looked so unappetizing at the moment, that I had to hold myself back from smacking it into his face.

"Go. Away," I mumbled into my pillow.

"But I told you we have to take care of you, at least while-"

"THEN BRING ME BACON."

"Whatever you want, Romi," he smiled. "As long, as you eat something, you're turning skinnier right on my watch and that shouldn't be happening. I'll go make you some bacon then, you just wait here..."

"OH MY GAWD," I cried. "BACON COME HERE BEFORE I LOSE IT WITH THESE KIDS."

As if on cue, Baekhyun ran into the room with a phone in his hand.

"Good news! Romi, pack up! I got you an appointment with a doctor!"

"Bacon, no! I trusted you! I thought you were the sane one here!"

"I am!" he argued and gave me a bright smile. "Believe me, I think you'll like this one!"

 

I was dragged out of the house and driven to a hospital. We didn't go to one nearby, which was surprising, but at least it gave me more time to beat up Chanyeol and complain that the guys were making a big deal out of a cold. When we finally arrived, the trio took me to an office in a hospital I have never been to before, although the name sounded oddly familiar. But my brain was too sick to function properly.

We slipped into the office and I was forced into a seat. I was pouting the whole entire time. I know it was childish of me, but I just absolutely completely and whole-heartedly hated doctors. Who in my place wouldn't?

When the doctor walked in, however, I changed my mind. At first I didn't recognize him, as he was wearing huge glasses and a white lab coat, but his soft voice confirmed my suspicions.

"How are you, Romi?" he asked with a cute smile.

"I'm great, Lay, and you? Haven't seen you since the wedding!"

"Yeah, I've been busy in the hospital. And what do you mean you're great? Aren't you here for a reason?" he laughed.

"It was out of courtesy," I scowled. "My stomach's killing me."

"Alrighty, I'll check what's wrong, but play along, okay? Don't beat me up," he joked, glancing at Chanyeol.

"I don't have the energy to," I admitted. For the next couple of hours, I let him take random tests, not caring one slightest bit what was happening. I trusted Lay with my whole heart. At the end of the tests, I sat down at his desk and lay my head down. I waited for his conclusion and started falling asleep. When the guys woke me up later, I quickly wiped my drool off his desk and sat up.

"Huh?" I mumbled, rubbing my eyes. Chanyeol was lying lazily on the bed I was supposed to be occupying, Baekhyun sat on a chair while Xiumin was chugging down a glass of water.

"How are you feeling now?" Lay asked.

"Better, I guess," I lied.

"Well, I have your test results," he coughed. "And it, uh... it seems our little Romi is pregnant."

Xiumin spit out the contents of his mouth, spraying Bacon in the process. Chanyeol dropped his jaw to the floor. I just stared blankly.

"Excuse me?" I asked after a moment.

"You're pregnant, Romi," he repeated cautiously as if afraid I'd hit him.
I know I should have some sort of a dramatic reaction, but all I could think of to say was, "We took a pregnancy test?"

"You should have been paying attention instead of sleep-walking like a zombie!" Baekhyun scolded, wiping the water off his face.

"Shut up! What are you guys doing here anyway! This is a private session!"

"Ungrateful little baby," Bacon folded his arms.

"What was that?"

"Nothing."

"ROMIIIIIIII," Chanyeol wailed. "YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A BABY?! THAT MEANS... THAT MEANS I'M GONNA BE AN UNCLE!"

"D.O. never told us anything," Xiumin pouted.

"And you're surprised. Look at you guys," I shook my head. Lay looked at me curiously.

"How come you're not reacting like they are? It seems they're more excited than you are."

"Huh? No no, I just... don't know how to... react..." I turned red and scratched my head. Was this a good thing? Or a bad thing? I decided to let D.O. decide.

 

That evening I invited all the guys over to our house and Bacon broke in the news for me (I ended up just stammering, unable to produce any intelligent words). D.O. pulled me into a spinning hug, his laughter echoing through the room.

I guess it's a good thing, I thought with a smile. The guys started to party, but one person pulled me to the side.

Daehyun.

 

Not much changed for Daehyun. He worked for D.O. at his company. He still had the same blonde hair. He lived with the two of us. He still wore a mask over his face and hadn't said a word to us, ever, but I could see he was happy.

But now, when he took me out into the hallway, away from the noise, his eyes were serious. He pulled down his mask, revealing the face I haven't see in years. He opened his mouth, but no sound came out, and I nodded for him to try again.

"Romi," he said, his voice came out hoarse and tired.

"You speak," I smiled at him widely. "You said my name."

He just nodded with a frown.

"There's a problem," he said slowly.

"Why?" I asked blankly.

"I don't know how to tell you this exactly, but I have no choice..." he started, looking around nervously. I stared, unable to process the sad tone of his voice, totally mesmerized by his voice. Imagine living with someone for seven years, then finally hearing them speak. It felt like a miracle.

"What is it?" I encouraged him.

"Dr. Kim, he..."

I paled and noticed the seriousness of his voice. I haven't heard that cursed name in a while and it did not bring back any good memories.

"He... has a daughter."
My heart stopped. Well, that's what it felt like anyway.

"How do you know that?" I whispered.

"I've seen her, a long time ago. She usually didn't hang around his research field, but visited him sometimes. He has a daughter, Romi."

"What... a-about her?" I mumbled, although I knew what was coming.

"She... supported... his plan," Daehyun gulped. "She was entirely on his side."

I closed my eyes, trying not to freak out.
"This doesn't affect you right now, I don't think," he added quickly, probably thinking I was about to faint. "But, I just thought I had to warn you... since technically, your grandchild will inherit your power..."
"You're right," I nodded slowly. "Thank you... thank you for the warning."

He nodded and slipped the mask back over his mouth. With that, the conversation was over and he became silent once again.

We sneaked back into the room, where the boys were celebrating. D.O. pulled me into another hug and some music. I didn't feel like dancing, even though with Lay's medicine, some of the pain went away. I did however, put on a brave smile and join the party to the best of my abilities.

Don't worry, I said to no one person in particular. My child, my husband, my friends, my grandchild, myself. Don't be scared. I'll protect you.

 

_______________________

You guys. I love you. Really. Thanks for giving me a chance :D Please feel free to drop by anytime if you want to say anything - comment on a story, advertise your own, or just say hi. Of course after this I'm moving on to another fantasy story. I tried writing a romance thing but I at it so badly XDD so I need my fantasy to balance out my life :P anyways please look forward to the next story I'd love to see you all there again :D Also, don't forget to leave a comment. THAT GOES TO ALL OF YOU, SILENT READERS XD at least make an attempt for the last chapter? lol. You can say bad things if you want, I'll deal with it XD I just want feedback. Whoo. You guys have some patience -_-"

Thanks again :D

-Kima

PS. Congrats to the person that said D.O. and Romi would be good together. I was thinking that the whole story and your comment encouraged me to go along with that XD