We go through an examination.

The Experiment

Thanks so much for your encouragement! I don't know if this chapter is too good cause I kept getting distracted and although it looked long to me, not much really happened O_o but be patient, and please comment XD As you might have noticed, I make up the plot with each chapter so your comments actually might help me come up with what happens next cause at the moment i have no clue -_-" well, i have a tiny idea but not really XD anyways THANK YOU again, you guys are awesome :D

I was shaken awake by a firm hand.

"Romi-ya, wake up," Suho whispered. "They're here."

My eyes shot open just as the door handle jiggled. The huge door swung open and a cool breeze flew into the living room. All of us jerked onto our feet.

In the door stood the man I had seen last week. He was wearing the same disgusting peacock-green suit and his hair was greased back yet again. An evil smirked lurked on his old, wrinkled face.

As my mom ordered, I had tried holding back my fear. 'Don't be scared!', she yelled at me repeatedly before we were separated. Knowing that she had a good reason to tell me that, I obeyed. I had done all I could. But now, after a week of controlling my emotions, everything poured back into me in one split second. Seeing the kidnapper's face, all the fear and frustration embraced me yet again. I wanted to scream, but couldn't. My throat hurt and tears welled up in my eyes. Somewhere to my left, I heard Sehun let out a quiet sob, accompanied by Luhan's soothing voice.

I was scared.

To cover it up, I tried to arouse a different feeling inside. It wasn't too difficult. Within moments, my fear was replaced with rage.

"W-what... are you doing here?" I growled through gritted teeth. Chanyeol and Chen put their hands firmly on my shoulders, as if wanting to restrain me. I snapped at them in surprise, before realized I was shaking in anger. They were trying to hold me back so I wouldn't do anything stupid.

"Well, well, what a nice greeting," the dude let out a cold laugh. "Hello, my name is Doctor Kim Byunji," he introduced himself.

"You don't look like a doctor," Lay pointed out. I stared at him. How could he stay so calm and collected when the reason we were stuck here was standing in front of us?! I looked around and my jaw dropped. Aside from teary-eyed Sehun, everyone seemed quite normal. They were looking at the guy with frowns, but none took it any further than that. No enraged glaring. No sadness. No anger. No fear.

"Why are you here?" Luhan asked. "Usually you send two people to take care of us. What made you come personally?"

"Ah, yes you're the one who's been watching us, huh? Very interesting to have the quiet ones spying. Good strategy, Yang Romi."

"Don't say my name," I spat. I didn't want to listen to a single thing he said.

"She had nothing to do with it," Luhan narrowed his eyes. "Why would she?"

"Oh, is that so?" Dr. Kim entered the room and closed the door behind him. "I was under the impression that the girl became a..." he smirked. "Leader of yours."

Kris scoffed.

"I'm the leader," he announced.

"Actually, that would be me," Suho argued, as if it really mattered. My anger grew. How could they be having this conversation. I wanted to get straight to the point.

"Why are we here?" I growled. Dr. Kim smiled at my impatience and walked over to the couch, taking a seat.

"I thought you were already explained everything. It's quite simple, really. Your ancestors came from a different planet. To humans' dismay, the inhabitants of that planet have some weird abilities, as you have already experienced yourself. Being the wonderful species that humans are, they let the aliens stay alive, as long as they knew how to control their powers."

"My mother is not an alien," I pointed out, trembling. I was on the verge of crying. I missed her very much.

"No, she's not," Dr. Kim chuckled, waving his hand dismissively. "But don't tell me that will change your mind on the subject. After all you've been through, can you still deny what you are?"

No. It was difficult at first, but now nothing could change my mind. I knew I wasn't entirely human.

"Besides," Dr. Kim added. "Your grandparents were inevitably aliens. They had the same powers as you. The powers pass on to the grandchildren. They always appear every other generation."

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I'd like to make this clear," Suho cut in. "We are here only to learn how to control out powers, right?"

"Indeed," Dr. Kim nodded.

"So if we learn... you will let us go?"

He smirked again.

"Not exactly. If you learn to control your powers, you're just as dangerous as you'd be without the knowledge. The powers still remain. What we want... is for you to learn how to suppress them."
"Can't we just promise we won't use them?" Chanyeol sighed.

"It's not that simple, little boy," Dr. Kim laughed.

"I'm about two heads taller than y-"

"Your promises mean nothing."

"So where's our food?" Xiumin finally spoke and everyone scowled at him.

"You won't be getting it just yet," Dr. Kim said calmly. The guys automatically started protesting.

"Dude, we're starving here!"

"Sir, you can't expect us to cooperate if you don't let us eat!"

"This is bullcrap! Gimme the food!"

He chuckled.

"You know, usually my workers attend to your needs before you even notice you have any needs," he said. "Don't you think there is a reason why this time is different?"

We shook our heads.

"You're going to go through an examination. We have to check how your bodies function with all that... power within you. Don't worry, it's just a health check-up, followed by a little test and a couple of shots you need to take," he said in a not-so-encouraging tone.

"I'm not letting you inject anything else into me," Baekhyun stated and I nodded.

"It's not really up to you."

"But why no food?" Xiumin whimpered.

"The medication can only be injected on an empty stomach. It is not my fault. Please forgive me," he sent us an ugly smile. "The faster we get it over with, the faster you will get your meal. I know it's only 4:00am, but we can proceed any time you'd like. How about it?"

Kris and Suho exchanged glances, then nodded.

"Wonderful. So, who's first?"

 

As soon as the guys agreed to the testing, four dozens of the doctor's little minions burst into the room. They crowded around us, grabbed us by the collars (elbows, in Kris's and Chanyeol's case, as they couldn't reach their collars) and they dragged us out of the mansion, into the night. Sehun was practically wailing the whole way, yelling insults at everything and everyone, and Luhan tried to wriggle out of the helpers' grasp to get to him, but failed. They took us over to the ranch house and opened the door.

The first floor looked like a normal house, but it was also the typical size of one. There was no way all these people fit in here, no matter how little furniture they had. As if noticing my curious gaze, Dr. Kim said, "We live downstairs. This is just an entrance."

"Oh, so there's a basement," Lay nodded, thinking the same as me.

"And a cellar," Dr. Kim smirked. "For those who misbehave," he sent me a meaningful glare, and I returned it.

"Please make yourselves comfy here," he motioned to a single couch in the middle of the room. "We'll be taking you up one by one. You," Dr. Kim pointed at Kris, who had volunteered to go first. "Follow me up."

The two of them disappeared up the staircase. Some of the guards went downstairs, to the basement, and about ten stayed behind to stand firmly by the doors. We waited impatiently, but nobody dared let out a sound, afraid that the rest of us will snap. Finally, after about twenty minutes, Dr. Kim came back down to us. Without Kris.

"Sooo... you were going to go next?" he pointed at Tao. Tao stood up, eyes narrowed, fists clenched.

"What did you do to Kris-hyung?" he asked through gritted teeth.

"Oh don't you worry, he's sleeping," Dr. Kim smiled evilly and we all gulped.

"SLEEPING?" Tao growled.

"Literally, sleeping. He'll wake up in a matter of hours, when the sun rises. It seems... the testing is rather exhausting," he waved his hand, signaling Tao to come over. He did so with heavy feet, trying to hold back his anger. I too, was shaking. If they did anything to any of my friends, I won't hold back, I thought. I'm sorry, mom. I'm sorry I'm scared. But I won't let them hurt any of these kids.

 

One by one, the guys were disappearing. My throat grew dryer every time one of them went up the stairs, my body shook more every time the doctor came back down by himself. I was the last one left. Figures.

"Yang Romi?" he called me with a smirk, not even bothering to come back down to get me. I stood up, clenched my hands into fists and stomped over to the staircase. I went up and he met me on the landing. The top floor was basically a corridor spotted with doors. I don't know how many rooms fit there, but it seemed like there was quite a lot of different chambers, and my curiosity took over again. As he lead me down the hall, I stretched my neck to peek into one of the rooms to which a door was left ajar. Dr. Kim noticed my attempts but said nothing. I guess there was nothing he had to hide from me in there.

We finally entered a room. It was covered in white tiles, and looked like it had been cleaned spotless. As ordered, I sat down on a stool. The place basically looked like a normal doctor's office, except for the lack of virus or disease-related posters on the walls, which have been replaced with a nice set of guns. I stared at them.

"Don't you worry," Dr. Kim chuckled. "They're filled with tranquilizer darts, not bullets."

"Oh, what a relief," I rolled my eyes.

"And I won't use them on you anyway. I have other ways to make you stay still," he smirked and I gulped. Creepy old man.

He started off with a physical examination. He checked my heartbeat (when his hand came closer to my body, it took every bit of my self-control not to slap it away), weighed me, and pushed an ice cream stick onto my tongue, shining a little light bulb into my mouth. I swear he pressed the stick harder than necessary and I felt like puking on him. When he was done, he noted a bunch of stuff into his notebook, then smiled coldly at me.

"Alright. Now, Yang Romi, I'm going to ask you to show me your power."

I stared at him.

"What?"

"Go ahead. Show me what you can do."

"You mean... you want me to... attack you?" I mumbled, totally taken off guard.

"What? Heck, no," he laughed. "I doubt you could, even if you tried. But I would like you to summon whatever you're willing to show me, so that I can evaluate how much you can do."

The wheels in my head started turning. What should I show him? Was it better to show him my best abilities, so that he thought I was already experienced? But what if he then marked me as dangerous? Should I show him just a little bit, to look less threatening? But then he might think I have little control over my power...

Wait a second.

"Don't tell me you didn't see my ability yet," I replied coldly. "We practiced right in front of your cameras. You know what I can and can't do. Can't you use that to evaluate me?"

"Child, this isn't actually about what you can or cannot do. Trust me, I have experienced your powers plenty before. I know what you're really capable of."

What was he talking about? When my grandmother was alive and stuck in here, he could have been at most two years old.
"What really matters to me is how much you're willing to show me personally. Will you try to threaten me with your ability? Will you try to act cool? Will you attempt to escape right at this moment? I'm giving you a free move, Romi," he crossed his arms. "Are you going to make it? Are you wondering what I will do to you if you don't? Are you... scared?" he smiled at the last word and I scoffed.

"No," I lied. "You and your dirty little helpers were there," I said, knowing he remembered. "She told me not to be scared. So I won't be."

"Good girl," Dr. Kim answered, although I knew he didn't believe me. "So, go ahead, show me what you can do."

I stood up and cupped my hands together.