We hit the road.

The Experiment

 I hope there's no mistakes in this one XD OMFG it's almost over T_T then on to the next! A couple more chapters guys. Thanks for sticking around with me, I really appreciate it T_T this was a great experience hehe I hope I got at least a little better at writing by the end, so that the next story can be less y -_-" Anyways here's more action etc. etc. :P Comment please :D

Xiumin reacted first. As soon as the men emerged from the rubble, an army of sharp icicles darted past my head. Some of them speared straight through bodies, others missed; those that hit their target let out a cracking noise accompanied by the slushy sound of cut meat. I seriously felt like puking on the spot.
The doctors didn't hesitate anymore. Our move initiated a battle and there was no turning back.

The disgusting sound of dying men was overpowered by the clicking of guns. A second later, about twenty of them fired, all in our direction.
Everything slowed down. I don't know how to explain the feeling. First of all, I didn't even feel like crying. I didn't feel like running. I couldn't move. I was so. Freaking. Scared. The entire world seemed to suddenly move in slow-motion. I saw the bullets spinning, at least three of them headed straight at me at a speed that my mind couldn't even process. I knew what was going to happen. I was going to die. We were all going to die. I've seen this in movies before. All action around you seems to slow down, then the childhood memories come and the next thing you know BAM! You're dead.

I closed my eyes and waited for the memories to pop in. I almost hoped they would. All the good parts of my life (before I was involved in this nightmare) would flash before my eyes and then it'd be over. Wouldn't that be nice? I waited. And waited. Finally, I opened one eye, unable to take it anymore. Everything around me was frozen in place. Not even just moving in slomo - EVERYTHING STOPPED.
I looked around, and noticed the other guys doing the same. But when I tried letting out a sound or taking a step forward, nothing happened. I had no other control over my body. All I could do was watch Tao, the only person who could move a muscle. He walked up to every single bullet (now hanging in mid-air, about two meters away from our faces) and grabbed them into his hands, then quickly buried them in the ground. It seemed like a simple process, considering that he didn't even bother flinging them at the scientists' heads, but when he turned around to face me and the guys, he was sweating. This must have taken a lot out of him.

"Ready?" he murmured, looking at Kris, who nodded. Tao released time and fell into the dirt, exhausted. Kris swiftly moved him to the side and placed him next to the van, by Sehun and Luhan. If I wasn't so scared, I might have laughed at the expressions on the scientists' faces. One moment, they shot at us, the next their bullets disappeared. Their utter confusion made me think that maybe Tao had more control over his powers than I thought he would: after all, the gang and I could remember everything that happened, and we were able to look around. They clearly couldn't.
 

[And the awaited moment, as most of you were so worried about Bacon and Kai that you forgot about Yeollie and Lay *sniffles*]

 

While the scientists tried to organize their disoriented selves, the action didn't stop. The huge door to the castle swung open and a trio ran out, screaming their asses off (how they still had the energy to do so, I don't know...). Kai looked just as bad as he did when we saw him earlier, meaning that Lay either couldn't, or didn't have the chance to heal him. Chanyeol on first glance seemed okay, but I could see a dark red stain on his left shoulder, while Baekhyun's limp body was swung over his right. Lay was running several feet behind them, limping.
"OHMYGAWD!" Chanyeol squeaked as they neared closer to us. "GET IN THE CAR, THERE'S MORE COMING!" he burst. While I stood there in bewilderment, the guys got to work. They really must have been planning this the whole time I was gone, because their instincts were very much prepared for everything that was happening. D.O. and Daehyun grabbed both my hands and hauled me over to the trunk. D.O. squeezed in next to me. We were the smallest in the group, but still barely fit. With panic in his eyes, Daehyun ran to take the backseat. Chanyeol sat next to him with Bacon on his lap, while Sehun and Luhan were both placed on Daehyun's. Kai quickly sat behind the wheel while Lay sat by him in the front seat and automatically turned around to tend to the injured.

But clearly, the van couldn't fit all of us.
"I'm taking Tao. Go ahead and I'll watch over you from above," Kris stated and grabbed Tao. Then, he jumped up high as if he had springs attached to his shoes, and never came back down. I watched in awe through the back window as his body floated up in the air weightlessly.

"But what about the other three?" I asked D.O.. He was looking at Suho, who was gazing at him with the same intelligence in his eyes. I wouldn't have been surprised if they could read each others' minds. The two seemed to have been friends here from the beginning. But still, the way Suho sighed and nodded in defeat made my heart sink.

"Don't worry, Romi. We'll catch up soon," he smiled at me slightly, before turning to Xiumin and Chen. Their faces paled, but seeing Suho's confidence, they also nodded. I looked from one to the other, before processing what happened.

"You're STAYING?!" I screeched. D.O. instinctively grabbed my wrists. At that moment I saw a crowd of armed men come out of the castle. The scientists that attacked us earlier called them over. It was now fifty against three.

Before I could say anything else, Suho shut the trunk door and Kai stepped on the gas pedal. For the first time in weeks, we were leaving the prison. We pulled out of the yard with a screech of tires and to the asphalt road, which ran alongside the forest. Above us, Kris flew awkwardly with Tao in his hands. I had tears in my eyes when I saw Suho, Chen, and Xiumin (possibly our strongest fighters outside of D.O.) raising their hands in unison, prepared to attack.

I couldn't believe we left them behind.

The moment it happened, I regretted it, but no matter how much I thought about it, I couldn't get myself to say anything. I was so sick of screaming. So sick of arguing with the guys and having them look at me like I was the crazy one here and I would get it if I didn't shut up and follow their plan.
"Trust us," D.O. whispered. I turned red in fury and embarrassment.

"I will, if you trust me," I told him back. "We'll go back to get them, right?"

"Of course. We just need to recover a bit. They'll be fine," he promised.

"There's about one hundred people involved in this operation," Chanyeol coughed out. "I fought off at least ten of them. I'm so tired T_T" he complained.
"Let's hope this works then," I said, then called to the driver, "So what exactly is Kris's genius plan, Kai? He didn't tell me anything in the end..."
"This
is his genius plan," Kai scoffed. "That overgrown brat is really full of it, you know that?"

I gulped.

Fabulous. And I'm sure Kris didn't predict having to leave our comrades behind, so finding them later better not be a problem.

We drove in silence for about ten minutes. I still could see nothing but trees all around us, but Kai promised we were getting closer to the city. On the bright side, Lay managed to bring all of us to consciousness.

"Bacon!" Chanyeol smiled widely and hugged his buddy.
"Don't call me that!" he groaned, and that was the first thing he said.

"Bacon, are you okay?!" I asked, suddenly realizing how much I had missed him. I glanced over into the back seat. "Thank God you're alive!"
"Thanks, God," Baekhyun mumbled, and Lay smiled gently.

"You're still hurt," I noticed, pointing at the bruises on his body.

"Yeah. Human being don't like being zapped by lasers," he said thoughtfully. "They really hated me in there."

"You did well, Bacon," I told him, and he gave me a crooked smile mixed with a pained scowl.

"Thanks, I guess."

I sighed in relief when Sehun stopped wailing into Luhan's sleeve and looked back outside. My eyes grew and I shook D.O..

"Huh?"

"LOOK! THEY'RE FOLLOWING US!" I yelled, my voice shaking. There were indeed two identical vans on our tail. D.O. growled and opened the trunk door. He waved his arm and one of the trees from the forest groaned heavily before thrashing down onto the car. The vehicle stopped and the windshield broke into a million pieces, but the passengers were still alive. One of them grabbed a gun and shot at D.O.. He fell down onto my lap a second later, and I screamed. I looked at him with tears in my eyes, expecting blood. Instead, I saw a small dart inserted in his shoulder.

That was enough to tick me off. Before any of the guys in the front of the car could stop me, I cupped my hands. When I pulled them apart again, a round sphere grew between my hands. I focused all my remaining strength on this little ball of gravity. The void. The power that I inherited. The power that my grandmother had claimed made her feel like some kind of an animal, like a monster. The power that I wouldn't hesitate to use if it meant saving my friends' lives.

Or getting revenge.

The car half-squashed under the gigantic pine tree moved forward despite the engine being turned off. I pulled it towards me, along with the tree. The driver stepped on the brakes, trying to overpower me, but it was no use. I bent my fingers, imagining that I was digging into his head. I hated him. I hated all of them. They hurt D.O..

Suddenly flung forward by my outburst of energy, the car and the tree both sailed towards us, not even touching the asphalt anymore. Behind me, I could hear Chanyeol letting out a high-pitched scream and Kai calling, "Romi, no!", but it was too late.

Trust me, I thought angrily. I won't let it hit us. JUST TRUST ME ALREADY.

With that, I spread my arms farther apart. The little sphere between my hands grew larger, until it was the size of our entire van. The portal opened, and I welcomed its victims with relief. It was tiring to keep it wide open like that. But as the car filled with scientists and the tree both flew into the void, I could feel some energy returning to me, as if I was feeding on the death of whatever fell prey to the black hole.

 

Scary thought. Now I know what my grandma meant when she wrote that in her diary.

 

I quickly cupped my hands back together and the sphere disappeared. The portal closed and I looked at the other remaining van with tears still pouring out of my eyes. For the passengers of that second car, I felt even more hate.

 

It's all their fault. It was their own fault I had to pull that car into the black hole, their fault I had to crush it into a gazillion pieces to survive.

Their fault I just killed people, is what I tried telling myself.
 

Chanyeol turned around to look past my shoulder at the other car.

"Get down, Romi," he said with a small smirk. His voice sounded so unlike him. It was firm, but soft, as if all his worries left him. He sounded almost... relieved.

Grateful I didn't kill him in the process of saving his life.

Ha ha, you're welcome, Chanyeol.
"My turn," he said, preparing to set the other car on fire.
And I was going to let him do it, not wanting to fight anymore. I wanted to let him take care of the rest while I brushed my friend D.O.'s hair off his forehead, hoping he'd wake up soon.
But something stopped me.

"Wait, Chanyeol!" I called with panic in my voice, before he managed to snap his fingers.

"What?" he looked at me, confused.

No, guys, I was not having second thoughts about this. I couldn't care less if he hurt the stupid "doctors". But there was a small problem.
"Suho, Xiumin and Chen are in that van," I gulped.

Chanyeol squinted and saw what I was pointing to. The scientists, knowing that we could just as easily end their lives, used their only chance to stop us. They grabbed their passengers by their paralyzed necks and pressed their pale faces against the windshield.

"We have your dear friends," the driver mouthed to us with a dangerously insane look in his eyes. "You kill us, and they go down as well."
Well, at least we don't have to worry about finding them anymore.

 

Suddenly, our car stopped and so did the one behind us. I looked towards the front in shock.

"What are you doing?!" Bacon scolded, but he shut up when he saw what was in front of us. Dr. Kim stood in the middle of the road, his own car behind him. He had been waiting here already before we even left the castle. Kai cursed loudly.
"Just run him over!" Chanyeol suggested, but there was no way we could do that, because Dr. Kim opened the door to his car and motioned his hand to a woman sitting inside. was taped shut and her hands were tied behind her back. There was fear in her eyes, the same fear she had warned me to keep away so that I wouldn't go insane.

My mom...