Kris becomes the leader. Of a gang.

The Experiment

I opened the door and stood face-to-face with two boys I haven't seen before yet, although their faces looked a bit familiar after staring at the picture in the diary.

"What's up?" I asked, as if it was totally normal for them to be knocking on my door in the middle of the night.

"Sorry to bother you," one of them murmured awkwardly. "But there's an emergency downstairs and they're calling for Yang Romi... I'm guessing that's you?"

My eye twitched. What could possibly be going on that so immediately required my attention? I've only been here for about five hours!

"Nope, nobody here by that name," I lied, and began to shut the door. The boy put his foot in the crack and I smashed it in the door.

"Lay!" the other boy exclaimed. "You ok?"

"Yeah," he hissed, then looked back at me. "It's important," he told me. I rolled my eyes, and looked back at Chanyeol and Baekhyun. They were still sleeping. With a sigh, I left the room and followed the two boys downstairs.

"In there," Lay pointed to a large door on the first floor. "Chen and I are going to wait out here, in case... you need us."

I stared at him, confused. What is going on? I opened the heavy door and stepped into a brightly-lit living room.

"Finally...! Wait. Where's the girl?" a voice called.

I swear a vein popped in my head.

"That would be me..." I muttered.

"You're Yang Romi?" a tall guy asked, approaching me.

"Unfortunately..."

"Excellent!" the giant smiled slightly. "Tao, cue the music!"

A goth-looking kid clicked a button on his remote control and heavy metal music blasted through the large speakers in the corners of the room. I jumped and covered my ears at the volume.

"WRONG CD, TAO!" the giant roared. Tao quickly pressed another button and the song switched to a slow, mysterious classical piece.

"Sorry, Kris... My finger slipped..." Tao bowed in an apology.

"Now that the mood is set..." Kris coughed. "Please, sit down, Yang Romi."

"No, thanks."

"Oooh, such confidence! I like it. Alrighty then. You'll be the perfect addition to our group."

"What group?" I frowned.

"Well you see, out of all the people in this castle, I have scouted four with the biggest potential for survival of this... horrendous experiment. One of them is here," he nodded at Tao, who bowed at me with a polite smile. "Two are waiting outside," he pointed at the door. "And the last one is you."

"How did you conclude I had potential for survival?" I asked.

"Romi, darling, you're a special subject here. This gene doesn't usually appear in females, you know? But you and your ancestors are an exception. That already makes you stand out. And I have no doubt that your power will be great. And all because you're a girl," he said. "You... are a girl, right?"

I grabbed a figurine from a table beside me and threw it at him. Before it hit Kris in the face, however, Tao was by his side, and caught it with his hands. I stared in disbelief. Where did those reflexes come from?!

Tao said nothing. He put the figurine on the side and moved away. Kris smiled at me.

"Oh yeah, and Tao's my security," he added. "He's quite swift and excellent at combat."

"Wonderful," I gulped.

"So, Romi. Let me tell you now, before you get involved with anybody that might lead you to death later. If you join us now, we can take over this place together. We can show those crazy scientists that children of aliens are not to be meddled with. We will not bow down to their rules, nor will we break under the pressure of our powers. We will learn to control them and take charge. Don't you want to go home as a strong girl, Romi-ya?" Kris put his long arm awkwardly on my shoulder. "Because you can make your parents proud by joining us," he added.

I thought about my mom. She told me not to be scared. Fear meant the inability to think straight, and lack of logic could lead me to lose control over my powers, whenever they would appear. I couldn't loosen my grip on common sense. So I thought about this, for the sake of coming back to my mother safely. I already made some allies here. Suho seemed willing to help out, and I assumed D.O. would too, but their plan was to play along with everything that the scientists prepared. Sehun and Luhan were really nice people and I had no doubt they would help me in need, but their soft personalities didn't seem too willing to fight for freedom either. As for the two weirdos up in my room... I didn't know what to think of them. They seemed a bit stupid to me, and I didn't want to risk getting into trouble because of them. And Kris did seem to know the most about this whole situation.

Reluctantly, I reached out and shook Kris's hand.

"Fine. I'll do what you want, as long as you get me out of here safely," I said.

"Good choice," the corners of Kris's lips twisted into a tiny smile. "Very good choice."

Chen and Lay took me back upstairs (not like I couldn't get there myself). When I opened the door to my room, I was glomped and fell down on the floor, right between the two of them. Lay quickly helped me up.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"I'm fine," I growled, and slapped Chanyeol on the head.

"What the hell?!"

"See, I told you she wasn't kidnapped, tortured, and killed," Bacon murmured.

"You told me just the opposite!" Chanyeol complained, and moved away from me. "Sorry, Romi. I thought the scientists did something to you."

I rolled my eyes.

"Well, I'm definitely not getting any more sleep tonight," I complained and sat on my bed with a sigh. Chen and Lay were still standing awkwardly outside my room.

"Are you guys coming in or not?" I asked and urged them to close the door.

"Oh, uh... n-no, we have to go see Kris," Chen muttered, looking nervously at Chanyeol and Bacon. Then, the two of them scurried away without another word. I guess they didn't want my two "roommates" involved in Kris's plan. I didn't really care. I wasn't too serious about joining his group either. He seemed a bit... crazy?

"So I see you were reading that instead of sleeping," Bacon pointed at the book on my bed. I shrugged.

"It's a bit interesting. She describes the other boys' powers a lot. But... for some reason she won't mention her own," I frowned. "She seems to be ashamed of it."

"Ugh. Doesn't that make you nervous?" Bacon asked me. I wanted to nod, but instead I just shrugged again. He didn't have to know how freaked out I was.

"So does she mention our powers?" Chanyeol asked happily.

"Probably," I said. "But I don't know your ancestors' names, so I can't tell you which of those guys are your relatives."

"I actually don't know either..." Chanyeol admitted, and glanced at Bacon. He shook his head as well.

"So annoying!" I hit the pillow again. "How do we not know anything about our past? How did my mom manage to hide this from me for eighteen years? Superpowers? Aliens? That's not exactly something easy to keep as a secret," I yelled into my pillow. Bacon put his hand on my shoulder.

"Chill, Romi," he said. "We'll be fine."

"Yeah, knowing Baekhyun, he'll kick everyone's butts the moment he gets his powers."

"And knowing Chanyeol, he'll accidentally hurt himself the moment he tries to use his."

I smiled into the pillow, then turned to him with a frown.

"Not funny," I lied. He shrugged.

"So what are the powers listed in here," Chanyeol asked, grabbing the book. I sighed.

"Water, fire, earth, air... the basics. And teleportation, telekinesis, light, thunder, flight..." I thought. "Uh... frost, time, and healing."

"HEALING?!" Chanyeol exclaimed.

"That would be good for you!" Bacon laughed. "You could use some of that power. Considering how often you seem to get hurt."

"Don't say that!" Chanyeol's jaw dropped. He chased after Bacon, who jumped over the bed with a yelp.

"Leave me alone, Chanyeol!" he called, laughing.

"No, you made me look clumsy in front of Romi!" he whined, and ran after him. Then, he tripped over his own feet and fell to the floor. I rubbed my eyes. You do a pretty good job at that yourself, Chanyeol. Covering my face with my hands, I smiled.