We gather together for a little party.

The Experiment

 WHOOOOO THANKS SO MUCH FOR SUBSCRIBING AND COMMENTING :D I am now a happy child XD lol today was the last day of school and my grad ceremony is next Friday so now I have lots of free time.. hopefully. I'll try to work harder on this and actually make something enjoyable out of this fanfic -_-" thanks for having patience! Also, although it's a different genre, I'm encouraging you all to give my other story a try, especially if you like reverse harem ;D

 

I looked nervously back and forth between their faces. There was not a hint of humor on either of them.

"W-what are you guys doing here? Aren't you eating? We might be up all night, you know," I mumbled and scratched my head.

"Don't try to change the subject," Bacon growled. "I can't believe this. I thought we were all a team, and here it sounds like you're doing things behind our backs."

"Don't be so dramatic," I snapped back at him. "I was trying to find us a way to survive."

"Yeah, by not telling us anything. Were you going to keep the plan for yourself? To leave us behind? You don't really care about us, do you?" he kept blurting out nonsense.

"Oh yeah," I said with sarcasm. "That's the reason I went to the trouble of finding your powers for you. Because I don't freaking care."

He glared at me.

"Romi, can't we all work together?" Suho pointed towards the door. "There are four others in there, right? We could use their help and I'm sure they could use ours."

"I know. I was hoping we could work together as well."

"Pfft, so why didn't you let us join your little party?" Baekhyun scoffed.

"Bacon, it's not-"
"Don't call me that."
"Fine."

"Finish your sentence."
"Don't tell me what to do."

"Guys," Suho interrupted. "Come on. No wonder we can't work together as thirteen if we can't even get along in three."

I sighed.

"Look, I don't know why Kris is acting the way he is, but I'm sure he has a reason. I'd like to find out what his plan is then find a way to get all of us involved in it. You can either try getting out of here in a group of eight, or you can play along and join his team to try and get all of us out. I already made my choice. What's yours?"

Bam. With that, there was nothing more to argue about.

Suho nodded.

"I don't like that you were keeping secrets, but I'll try trusting you, Romi," he said. "Please get what you can out of Kris and hopefully we can befriend him."

I smiled at him, then looked at Baekhyun. He scoffed, rolled his eyes (attitude...) and walked past us to the kitchen with a, "Whatever."

"I'll take that as a yes," I stuck my tongue out at his back. "Tell the others that we'll meet outside in half an hour," I told Suho.

"Aren't you coming? You'll starve!"

"I'm not hungry," I waved my hand in dismissal and went upstairs.

 

 

When I was hidden safely in my room, I reached into my pocket and took out my marble. A strip of moonlight sneaked in through the window and lit up the room, but still nothing reflected off the ball's surface. It was pitch black, like the forest outside. I stared at it for a while.

What kind of energy did it give me, exactly?

The opposite of Bacon, darkness?

Some kind of devilish dark magic?

Or the absence of anything, a black hole?

I hate this, I thought and gripped the marble harder in anger. Having my powers was supposed to answer my questions, clear my thoughts, put some light on the subject. But instead, I am quite literally still in the dark.

Just then a knock came on the door.

"Come in," I said, putting away my marble. The door opened and in came the last person I expected to see.

"Romi..." D.O. mumbled as he closed the door behind him. "Are you busy...?"
I shook my head.

"Nope. What's up? Are you alright? Do you need something?"

He sighed and held up his rock.

"I need your help," he said with a frown. He looked at the rock in distaste, as if breaking it and releasing more trouble was the last thing he wanted to do. I felt kind of bad for him.

"D.O.... you don't have to force yourself to do it, you know," I said quietly. He looked at me in surprise.

"I don't?"

"Of course not. If you don't want to, we won't hold grudges. Well, I won't."

"Oh," he put the rock down on my table. "In that case, I'm leaving this for you. See ya!"

"D-D.O.!" I blurted, bewildered. He laughed and turned back around.

"I was kidding, Romi. Of course I'm here, because I already made up my mind."

I turned pink. So D.O. was capable of joking too, huh?

"What made you decide on this?" I asked him.

He shrugged.

"I guess it hit me that if I don't team up with someone, I'm screwed. Out of all the people here I trust Suho-hyung the most, and since he followed you without hesitation, so can I. I trust you, Romi," he sent me a look that said something along the lines of, If you disappoint me, I'll dig your grave myself.

I smiled at him encouragingly, but inside, I felt sick. This trust game was very tiring.

Releasing the remains of D.O.'s power took only a moment and soon the two of us were headed outside. The rest of the gang was already there, chilling on the moonlit grass. When I passed Baekhyun, he gave me a little glare and turned around. I sighed.

"Yah, Romi, I heard you were going to abandon me!" Chanyeol came running at me with a pout. "How could you! You were going to cross over to the dark side!" he started ripping out grass and throwing it at me.

"Yah! Calm down! Geez!" I shot Baekhyun a glare. How could he tell Chanyeol of all people?

"Romiiiiiiii," Chanyeol wailed and continued bombarding me with grass. Finally, D.O. muttered something in irritation and the grass stems wrapped themselves around Chanyeol's wrists, pulling him to the ground.

"What the-"

Suho smiled.

"I'm glad Kyungsoo was able to join us," he said and nodded at me with approval. Baekhyun scoffed. Well, at least one of them forgave me.

"What about the others?" Xiumin asked. "Kris, Tao, Chen, and Lay?"

"They... probably won't be joining us," I admitted, but at that very moment a voice behind us said, "We're right here, children. Have you been awaiting us?"

I turned around at the sound of Kris's voice and my eyes almost fell out of their sockets. All four of them actually left the castle and came out to practice with us.

"Kris," I hissed. "Why are you here?"

"Is that a problem, Romi?" Baekhyun asked. "Did this mess up your plan?"

"N-no, for your information, I don't even know anything about a plan," I snapped at him. "I'm just surprised that they came, as I didn't invite them..."

"I did," Baekhyun replied with his arms crossed. "I told them they might as well watch, since we were all going to be here. It's the first step to working together, right?"

Suddenly, I felt like a big weight was lifted off my shoulders. Baekhyun had suggested all of us working together, and Kris actually agreed to come and give it a try. I gave Bacon a sincere smile, which threw him off balance a bit.

"Why are you flashing your teeth at me?" he asked with narrowed eyes.

"Nooo reeeeeason," I sang.

"I'm still mad at you," he added and I shrugged.

"That's okay."

He scoffed again.

But I think he smiled a little bit, too.

 

And so it began. We started with Kris (he wouldn't have it any other way). We stood in a circle around him, looking like some kind of cult or something. Check this out, creeper scientists. This is what we can do, I thought. And Kris, please don't fail this time.

Kris took a breath and stood with his back straight, in the middle of the circle. We stared at him in silence for a minute, until finally he laughed out loud. I gaped at him.

"Might you want to tell us what's so funny?" I asked cautiously. He smiled at me.

"I did it, Romi! I did it! Did you see that?"

I shook my head, and his smile disappeared.

"Y-you didn't? But I just..."

"Kris, you ," Baekhyun called. I put on hand on his tall shoulder.

"Don't worry, Kris, it's not supposed to work the first time. You can try again, that's why we're doing this."

"But it did work! I flew up, at least an inch!" he protested.

"Well then everything's clear," Suho laughed. "The grass here must be at least six inches long. I mean, its tips reach above your ankles! There's no way we could see you float."

Kris swore.

"I'll show you," he growled. "Eventually."

 

Next up was Tao. With the power to control time, we couldn't confirm anything either. He claimed that time stopped for moments, but none of us were affected, so we could only take his word for it.

"It's hopeless," Xiumin whined. "If we're not affected by his power, then how can we use it for our escape?"

 

The third to go was Chen. It took him a bit of time, but eventually he did manage to call forth a sea of clouds, which threatened to release rain on us at any moment. We cheered for his success.
"Whoo!"

"Go Chen!"

"Finally, something happens!"

"Tsk," Kris scoffed at his own teammate. "Clouds? That's not even close to a real storm."

Thunder rolled across the sky and Kris winced.
"Alright, sorry."

"Lay?" Suho smiled at him. "What can you do?"

"According to Romi, I heal," he frowned. "But... nobody's injured..."

"I can fix that," Baekhyun grinned evilly at me. Chanyeol let out an over-exaggerated gasp and hugged me.

"No touchy Romi!"

We thought for a moment.

"How about this?" I held out my arm. On it was a tiny scar from months ago, when I fell over while dancing and scratched myself. "It's almost healed anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to speed up the process."

Lay took my arm and pressed his hand against it. His palm glowed in the dark and I felt my arm getting hot. The heat spread throughout my whole body and when Lay pulled away, the scar was gone.

"Whoa," I said with my eyes wide open. Somehow it still surprised me to see the scar actually disappear. Lay smiled in content.

 

"Sehun and I will try next," Luhan said. "We already had enough practice inside, didn't we?" he smiled and Sehun, who returned it shyly.

Luhan raised his hands up and the diary pages from this morning scrambled out of my pocket, the slowly flew through the air, into his hand. The guys weren't convinced that this was of any use, though.

"Oooh, great, you can levitate feather-light objects in slow motion!" Kris and Tao laughed. "What if the scientists come after us with some kind of weapon and-"

In a split second, Luhan held out his arm and Kris's marble shot out of his hand, and into Luhan's.

"What..."

This time, everyone cheered.

"Nice speed, Luhan," I complimented.

"Not possible," Kris argued, still in shock. "I was holding it firmly in my hand, and the next moment it was gone. I didn't even feel it escape my grip!"

"What about Sehun?" D.O. asked.

"He has wind," Luhan explained.

"Well, the wind is also limited in the weight it can carry," Chen said. "So I guess it has to be something even lighter than the marble?"

Luhan winked at Sehun and gave him an encouraging nod.

Sehun clenched his hands into fists and in a moment, I felt a strong gust of wind blew at me - from beneath my feet. I was thrown into the air, and floated there, constantly pushed up by the wind.

"Whaaaa! Sehun! Oh my God!" I squealed, freaking out. Chanyeol tried grabbing me, and the wind got stronger, pushing me up higher, just out of his reach.

"Now this is useful," Suho said happily and everyone nodded.

"Pfft," Kris scoffed. "With my power, you could float up like that too, Romi. After all, I'm the master of flying."

"Please, do show me," I laughed as Sehun set me down on the ground. "Show me what you got."

Kris hesitated for a moment, then tried. I suddenly felt a bit lighter - as if I could jump up and never come back down. But despite the feeling that gravity disappeared, nothing actually happened.

"Awww..." I sighed in disappointment. "We'll keep trying."

"Ha ha, so it seems like Romi is light enough for the wind to pick her up, but not light enough for Kris to handle her," Chanyeol whispered to Baekhyun and they started laughing. Kris narrowed his eyes.

"I can handle picking up Romi! I'm strong enough for that!" as if to prove his point, he stormed over to my side and picked me up into his arms.

"See! Light as a feather!" he tossed me up into the air and I screamed.

"KRIS WTF PUT ME DOWN UGH!" I yelped and he did as I told him. The guys were rolling around on the grass now, laughing hysterically.

"Romi, your expression..." they said between hiccups. "Soooo funny...."

I whacked their arms, but smiled.
 

After Suho was done forming little water bubbles in the air and Baekhyun and Chanyeol ended their lasers vs. flames battle (Chanyeol won when I distracted Baekhyun with a loud screech), it was finally time for D.O.. He was very unsure of himself and turned red when everyone was staring at him, but I gave him a little push and he proceeded to the middle of the circle. Kris tensed, hoping that D.O. would reach his expectations. I gulped. You can do this, D.O.. But... please don't kill us.