Chapter 4

MASKED FEELINGS

 

Soo Hyuk: I immediately bowed my head upon meeting our professor in the middle of my tracks towards the bus. I was the last one to arrive here in school and according to her, I caused a two-minute delay in our departure. That impostor Park just left the house without even caring if her own classmate, who apparently lives under the same roof as hers, would reach school in any matter of time. She should’ve at least told my mom that our class schedule today is a little bit important compared to the other days since we’re having a boot camp. Even though I over slept, I still find it necessary to take her into account and involve her in this issue of me being late.

I sluggishly entered the bus, knowing that I would see that impostor Park’s face again. The first five rows of the seats were already occupied. Right at the sixth row, I saw an empty space. Upon recognizing who my seatmate would be if I choose this place, my eyes fiercely looked up to see if there are other free seats. I would not want to sit beside that impostor Park. Well it’s new that she’s sitting alone. Where’s her newly found best friend? That Ju Lee? Su Jee? Soo Mi? Ugh, simply the girl she was with the other day…this girl she saved.

“Soo Hyuk, take your sit. We have to leave, now.” Professor Ahn said, obviously annoyed of my tardiness.

So, I am left with no other choice but to let myself slump beside this impostor. She’s actually sleeping but because of the impact of my sitting, she woke up and looked at me once.

The bus started moving right after our professor suited herself on her seat as well. It is a six-hour bus ride to the camp. If I’m not mistaken, our destination would be somewhere in the woods. A silent ringing sound suddenly played so I looked over impostor Park since I know it’s definitely not my type to set a ringing tone such as this. From her hand, I saw from the screen of her phone a caller I.D. which says “Dad”. I used my elbow to knock her arms so that she would wake up and pick up the call.

“Noisy. Your phone.” Annoyed, I grouchily said.

She turned her vision to the phone and just right after few seconds, she touched the ‘reject’ button. She’s ridiculous! Rejecting someone’s call, WHICH IS ACTUALLY A CALL FROM YOUR DAD, is something that will make you a lot more worthy to be called a brat.

I don’t know how to describe my annoyance towards this girl. I knew by the time I saw her that she’s nobody but a trouble maker. Making a big fuss at school even though she’s just a new comer is something unpleasant. I’m not saying that what the girls did to her friend is acceptable, but for her to fight back even though she knows that it’ll just make everything a lot more worse is really annoying. Not just that…she just suddenly appeared in our house then my mom’s like telling us that she’s going to live with us from that day onwards. Of all the billions of people in this world, why does it have to be her?

When we were passing by the highway, impostor Park’s bag dropped down on the floor without her knowing it…it’s because she’s sleeping soundly. I picked it up for her out of good manners and placed it over her lap for her. And I tell you, her bag is so heavy. What did she put in there? Stones? I closed my eyes and decided to just put to sleep the remaining time of our travel. Just in all of a sudden, a heavy weight landed on my right shoulder. Knowing that it’s probably that Impostor Park’s head, I shot my eyes open and tried to wake her up by moving my shoulders up and down, irritated. Realizing that it doesn’t work at all, I decided to take her by the neck so that I could push her towards the window. When my bare palm touched her skin, I got surprised extremely feeling the high temperature of her body. Fever. With that, I got the urge to push her faster since I DON’T want to get fever too. Well, there are bacteria that are passed through physical contact or through air, who knows.

Even though her head hit the window, she just rubbed it off and dozed back to sleep again.

I must make sure to never, ever, go near this girl again.

-

CurtianaWe arrived at the hall in…I don’t actually know how long it took for us to reach this place. I was actually in a deep sleep the whole ride. I don’t know if it was just my dream that the giant nutshell man was sitting beside me. Anyways! Eunjee seriously seems so excite about our activities ahead. Me? I still feel sleepy and kind of dizzy too. But I’m still up for adventures!

“Today, we’ll divide the class into five groups, meaning four members each group.” Professor Ahn announced, “For one whole week, you will do all the activities with your group mates.”

I sat on the floor on the corner of the room, not wanting to tire myself like those students who remained standing.

“Group 1: Kim Suk Jin, Park Haneul, Yoon Bae Jin, and Lee Soo Hyuk. Group 2: Park Jaerin, Shin Soo Cha, Sang Su Hee and Park Curtiana. Group 3: Song Ji Won, Ok Ch…”

I shot up straight upon hearing my name being mentioned. And the heck? With the stupid girl Shin Soo Cha. Yes, the girl who poured juice on Su Hee yesterday.

“How unlucky!” Su Hee exclaimed beside me.

Whoa! When did she get there?

“Alright, go to your respective groups and we’ll start your first mission.” Professor Ahn shouted.

Soo Cha started heading to our direction, her face, UGLEH! Uh, I mean, she looks extremely annoyed. Through her path, she purposely bumped Jaerin’s shoulder, um, I guess to add effect on her entrance. Ha ha.

“I don’t want to be grouped with you losers.” She said.

I decided not to answer to prevent adding fire to the oil. I’m just not in the mood right now too.

“Here’s your mission.” Professor Ahn handed an envelope to Jaerin then she went back in the middle of the crowd once again.

“Each of you will have different tasks. Everything that’s listed in your mission envelopes are all the materials needed for cooking our dinner tonight. Even if only one group won’t be able to find their mission, everyone won’t be able to cook dinner.” She explained further.

“It is already 5 pm, so everyone should be back at 7. I thing two hours is enough. Just make sure your flash lights work because it’s going to get dark soon. Follow the signs and don’t get lost. Everyone, be careful, it is your mission to take care of your members.”

-

The track to the upper hill is steep and slippery because it is just made up of soil. One false move and you’ll surely fall down. We’ve been working for almost two hours already and the time allotted for us is almost used up. We still haven’t found any signs of the stupid pot we’re assigned to look for. Soo Cha is not actually helping; our whole time together, she’s just cursing for being grouped with us…whom she called losers. Just few seconds ago, we saw two teams have already found theirs which actually made us even more depressed.

“It’s already 6:54 and it’s dark.” Jaerin commented while flashing his lights to the trees hoping that the pot is just hanging there somewhere.

“I know it’s too late, but let’s split into two groups. Two among us go to this way and the other two go up there.” He instructed.

“Okay then.” I said and pointed the useless Soo Cha, “Go with her Jaerin. Su Hee let’s go.”

“OH NO!” Jaerin protested. “Let’s make rock, paper, scissors decide for us.”

-

Aside from being depressed for not finding our mission earlier, I also feel extremely down for winning the rock, paper, scissors game against Jaerin. It’s because this useless girl, Soo Cha, also won against Su Hee, so we ended up together.

“Can you please point your light to other ways except the path you’re walking to? How can we find the freaking pot if you won’t help at all?” Annoyed, I complained.

“What if I get tripped and fall down? It’s really dark you know?” she answered back.

“That’s why I’m walking ahead of you .” I murmured, more like talking to myself, “I don’t want to get accused of pushing you down the hill.”

“Just look at what time is it! 7:30! Freaking 7:30 and we’re still here!” She complained, “You know, I’m not yet done with you. Once we get back to school, I’ll make you pay for your actions yesterday. Just don’t misunderstand me, I’m not doing this because I want to help you, it’s because I want to eat dinner because I didn’t have lunch, and because I’M SO HUNGRY!”

A shining object welcomed my sight when we reached a very tall tree by the cliff. I can actually reach it if I tiptoe. It’s not hard to get it but it really takes a very long walk to get here. When I started to approach it, I realized that Soo Cha’s complaining stopped so I looked back. To my surprise, she’s not behind me anymore. Her flashlight is resting on the ground which made me suspect that something bad might have happened to her. I rushed to the spot where her flashlight is and looked around. There are no signs of her. The path we walked through earlier to go up here is empty and it’s really impossible for her to leave without bringing her lights along. I suddenly heard rustling sounds to my left, as if the grasses and branches are being stepped on. My eyes went wide realizing that to my left is actually the cliff. Unhesitant, I hurriedly looked down and saw Soo Cha trying her best to hold on a tree branch.

“STUPID! WHY DIDN’T YOU CALL MY ATTENTION?!” I shouted and hurriedly tried to support her weight since the branch looked like it’s about to snap.

“You won’t help me anyway.” She said, crying.

“! WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THIS CALLED? IS THIS NOT HELPING?”

This won’t work! If she won’t be able to climb up with my help, I guess this won’t really work. I can’t pull her up with my strength alone…and because of her crying, it makes her lose her strength even faster. My head started to feel dizzy. I just realized awhile ago that I have fever. It was when I helped Eunjee climb a step up the hill this afternoon. She said that she felt that my body temperature is high. Well yeah, this ing fever is so wrong timing! This even makes me not fully use my strength. Time to drift to another plan, I need to think fast before I get totally useless because of this fever.

I peeked down to see how high the cliff is…around three-story building…bushes below and few trees on the way. No choice.

“When I say let go, let go of the branch and hold tightly onto my arm, okay?” I instructed her.

Her eyes went wide as she shouted, “ARE YOU CRAZY?”

“DO YOU WANT TO DIE?!” I yelled back.

Her silence meant fear. Who wouldn’t be scared? Just the thought of dying is already frightening and creates chills down to the spine.

“Okay…1…2…3…LET GO!”

In the mid-air, I secured Soo Cha’s head and made sure that I will fall first. If I don’t, her body might be misguided and instead of falling down on the bushes and trees, she might fall flat on the ground.

Luckily when we finally reached the land, I felt pain…which simply meant I’m alive! I raised my hand, touching my head, checking if there’s blood coming out of any wound. Well, yeah, I got a wound on my forehead but it’s just scratch.

WAIT! SOO CHA!

Before we fell, I pushed her to the bushes! WHERE IS SHE?!

I hurriedly tried to get up but I felt an extreme pain building on my left rib. I guess it is because of the impact…but I’m fine, it is bearable.

“Soo Cha!” I shouted, “Soo Cha! Answer me if your fine!”

Just right after I shouted, she came out of the bushes, walking properly with only few bruises on her face.

“You’re…you…you’re bleeding.” She stuttered.

“You don’t have to mention it. I can actually see it.” I stood up and dusted my clothes, not minding the pain I’m feeling all over, “stay here, I’m just going to get the pot and we’ll go back to the camp.”

When I’m already few steps away from the spot where I fell Soo Cha called my attention.

“Why did you help me?” she cried, “You should’ve let me fall down by myself!”

I faced her again and stared at her with cold eyes.

“If you died, do you even know how painful it is for those people you left behind? The feeling of losing someone is the worst feeling anyone could ever have. If you would think of your pride at times like this, at least think of how your family and friends would feel when something happens to you. When other people are around, let them help you. Don’t think of anything else, just let them help you. Even if they’re your enemy, let them help you. Even if they’re the person you’re afraid to get them involved in such situation, when they’re willing to help, let them help you. Don’t die in front of someone like me who can actually do something to help.”

I hurriedly looked away, not totally understanding why I even lectured her in such manner.

“I’ll get the pot. So stay here.”