Chapter 5

MASKED FEELINGS

 

Curtiana: Auntie Jade died because of old age…

Old age my …

I remember how she died…

I remember how her dead body set in front of me…

It rained heavy few minutes after I got home from school. It’s a normal night for both auntie jade and me.

I never imagined that that peaceful night would also be my nightmare forever.

A loud crashing sound, matched with the sound of the terrifying thunder, caught my attention. I rushed to the kitchen where auntie Jade was making our dinner. I stood frozen upon realizing that the windows were broken and a man just jumped in, rushing towards her, cutting her neck with a sharp knife. He purposely aimed to cut her pulse with just one go. Seeing me witness his deeds, he ran towards me to shut me to silence.

I don’t know why of all times in my life, I felt scared. I guess it’s probably normal since he carried a knife while I’m weaponless.

I closed my eyes, realizing that my body is too heavy for me to move a single muscle.

Strangely, I felt nothing. No pain. Is it because I’m already dead? But why can I hear police sirens?

It took me several moments to get the courage to open my eyes once again.

There was a dead body in front of me…the body of the person I once seen alive.

She protected me…

She shielded me from the intruder’s attack…

They said if not because of her old age, she would’ve probably survived…

But still, she died because she protected me…

All these times I know I am the reason…

When Soo Cha was struggling at the cliff, I saw her struggling between life and death.

I promised myself to never be scared of anything again.

To be able to protect the people around me, I know it’s the only way for me to return auntie Jade’s favor.

I don’t want to be coward again…

I don’t want to loose another person around me again…

 

“Curt! You’re awake!” I heard Su Hee’s voice.

I opened my eyes…and I’m in our room. How did I get here?

“You made me worry so bad!” She continued nagging.

I sat up and tried to remember all the happenings last night. After we fell from the cliff, I remember climbing up again so that I could get the pot from the tree. I was able to get it…and after that, I don’t know what happened next. The following scenes to me are not so clear.

“Can you get up? Everyone’s in the hall already, it’s already lunch.”

I was about to get up but a sudden thought struck me, “Soo Cha? Where’s Soo Cha?”

I don’t know why but Su Hee’s face just suddenly went dark after my question.

Did I say something unpleasant?

“Now that it happened…we owe her a lot more now.” Was her reply…which actually left me confused…

-

By the time we stepped in the hall, all eyes went our way. Right, where’s Soo Cha? She’s hurt last night too.

I looked around, trying to have a glimpse of her being alive at least, but seeing the faces of the girls in this room, there’s no one resembling her at all.

“Are you looking for your savior?” Mina, Soo Cha’s friend, stood up from her seat and glared at me.

Savior?

“She’s still in our room. I believe she’s still shocked because of all the events.” Lily said this time. “Thank her that you’re still alive, .”

I really don’t get this .

“Why should I thank her?” I asked, annoyed. Shouldn’t it be the other way around?

“Wow! You’re such an !” Mina shouted, “After she saved you from falling down the cliff, shouldn’t you be at least thanking her for that. You owe her your second life.”

I was about to answer back but I saw from my peripheral view that Soo Cha just entered the hall. I don’t know what really happened to the extent that these guys think that Soo Cha saved me. But seeing her face right now, she seemed to be in a misunderstood situation too.

I decided to back off and let them think whatever they want to think. So that’s why Su Hee said that we owe her a lot more now. I don’t need to explain. As long as I know the truth, everything’s fine with me.

As I sat in the table assigned for group 2, I just suddenly felt a weird aura around.

I looked at the seat in front of me and bingo!

“Why is this guy sitting here? This is group 2, right?” I asked randomly while pointing the giant nutshell on the other side of our table.

“Um…our professor decided to shift Soo Cha to group 1 and Soo Hyuk was asked to replace her spot in our group.” Jaerin answered.

“I don’t like being grouped with you too Park, so quit complaining.” Soo Hyuk answered in an annoyed tone as he stuffed grilled pork in his foul-words-machine mouth.

“My opinion was not asked about this matter! I demand for reconsideration!” I argued.

“Can you keep quiet for just one minute and let us peacefully eat our food?” he slammed his chopsticks down the table and looked at me heatedly.

You…

“Okay one minute…Like you can finish eating in one minute!” I mocked.

“Curt, here’s your food. Yay! Eating time!” Su Hee tried to put the fire out between Soo Hyuk and me but duh.

“Can you please make out of the time when to use your blabbermouth and when to make it shut?”

“You shouldn’t have agreed to exchange places with Soo Cha.”

Jaerin sat beside Soo Hyuk and decided to talk to him about random stuffs just to prevent him to make this fuss longer.

What’s with this annoying day?!

-

Well, my body still hurts like hell after what happened yesterday. Just that, after what I did, I am the one who was put into such position as the one who owes something. Seriously.

Since it’s our free time, I decided to roam around the area. The scenery is pretty with the sun all sky high. About fifteen minutes after I left the place, I reached the ocean…s pretty here, really. When you need to think all by yourself, this place is perfect.

I suddenly felt bothered after dreaming of what happened last year. I’ve been dreaming about what happened to auntie jade over and over again. I don’t want to remember it but it’s bugging me.

I heard someone from behind me cleared his or so I looked back.

“Soo Cha, what’s up?” I greeted her.

She just weakly smiled back and sat beside me.

“I’m…I’m sorry.” She said.

“For what?”

“I didn’t think that they would misunderstand what happened last night. I should be the one saying thank you to you.”

Well, yeah, I really helped Soo Cha yesterday, but I don’t need anyone to know. Just the fact that I know myself that I helped someone is enough.

“Speaking of, I don’t remember anything after that incident. I just woke up this morning in our room.” I looked at her eagerly and asked, “So what happened?”

There was a big smile on her face.

“We got back in the dorm safely.” Was her reply.

“I know. That’s why we’re here. But I’m asking how?”

“Well…I was told not to mention it to you, but if you insist…” She stopped and stood up.

She ran far away towards the shore, “WE FLEW!!!” she shouted.

EH! FLEW?! IS SHE CRAZY?!

“YA! DID YOU HIT YOUR HEAD OR SOMETHING?” I shouted as I ran after her.