Chapter 6

MASKED FEELINGS

Su Hee: Today’s activity is all about team work. We’re given a piece of map composed of six checkpoints. Good thing that our path today is through the main way so there’s no need to worry of getting lost, like what happened yesterday. All we have to do is to finish a mission in each checkpoint then it’s all done. The fastest team to finish all the missions and reach the last checkpoint on the other end of the road wins!

So far, we’ve finished 3 checkpoints. At the first checkpoint, we have to guess what the components of the drinks on the table were. The second checkpoint is a quiz booth; we had to answer history questions correctly to pass through. And the most recent checkpoint was all about knowledge about capitals. Well, anyone in the group can answer, that’s why it’s called teamwork challenge. Even though I do not know the answers, I didn’t have to worry since I have my three other teammates.

So far, we are the leading group, isn’t that awesome?

We’re almost reaching the fourth checkpoint according to the map. It’s says, just right after passing through a tall pine tree. So…

“Hello, welcome to the fourth checkpoint.” A middle aged man greeted us with a warm-welcoming smile.

Confused, Soo Hyuk asked, “Where is the professor?”

“Yeah, I don’t see any table at all.” Jaerin added.

His smile widened, maybe because of the fact that he liked the way our faces looked since we are extremely confused.

“The next checkpoint is over there.”

He lifted his palm and pointed his index finger sideward. We followed its direction, only seeing a very long hanging bridge.

Instantly, I turned pale. I’m freaking afraid of heights!

“You look scared young lady.” He said, referring about me.

“Ha, ha, ha, no! Not at all!” I tried my best not to say it in a trembling voice but…it was no use.

“That’s great!” he clapped, “It’s 350 feet above sea level so just get scared when you’re already at the middle.”

WHAT?! 350 FREAKING FEET ABOVE SEA LEVEL?

“Oh before I forget,” he went near me and smiled widely, “this hanging bridge is built 40 years ago, I cannot assure you that it’s still well-built as before.”

EH?!

This man is obviously trying t make me feel a lot more nervous.

“Ohhhh! You look paler! Hahaha! I was just kidding! This bridge is as strong as a newly built builing! Let’s go! I’ll lead the way across.”

“Let’s go!” A child voice came in the picture.

As I turned my head, I saw a very cute little girl, maybe about five, already walking through the hanging bridge.

Yeah…she’s freaking walking like normal over a 350 high hanging bridge!

“Who is she?” Jaerin-oppa asked curiously.

“She’s my daughter.” The man answered willingly, “Mimi, I told you to stay home. It’s still not good for you to wander around.”

“I’m absolutely okay, daddy! We rarely have visitors here so I’m so excited that I can’t stay at home.” She answered while making a cute face.

Her smiles and cute gestures make me want to run after her, well…but not right now. Not when she’s in the middle of walking through that hanging bridge.

One by one, we started stepping on the wooden bridge. Well, every time we move, the bridge sways a bit so it makes it a lot creepier.

This young girl, Mimi, sure looks used to walk through this bridge.

“She’s so hyper. She looks not frightened at all.” I commented, trying to forget the fact that I’m currently 350 feet above sea level.

“Actually, we just live down the mountain so travel a lot here together.”

“Is she wounded? I mean, about the bandage across her neck?” Jaerin-oppa asked curiously.

The man shook his head and looked forward to see Mimi.

“Well, the thing is, the bandage is all over her body. She just had an operation in her heart a month ago. That’s why I don’t feel quite okay making her wander around like this.”

Woah! With such a tiny body, she had to go through such procedure. Jaerin-oppa seemed to feel sorry for bringing up such topic as this. I mean, it would have been a very awful experience not only for Mimi but also for this man, who is her father.

“It…it must have been hard for both of you.” Jaerin tried to come up with the best response.

“I agree!” I said, “I’m happy that she made it through!”

“Yeah, it was hard for us.” The man answered. “I’m just an ordinary farmer and I really can’t afford the expenses for her operation. I didn’t stop searching until I find someone who would answer our expenses but…”

Out of the blue, his face turned gloomy. It’s like he has reached the limits of his words.

I got to make this awkward aura go away.

“Wow! That’s awesome! Good thing someone was able to help! She’s a precious little girl, I can see that. With her youthful energy, I know that she’s meeting life with a positive outlook!” I cheered.

Oh! Right! We’re walking on a hanging bridge!

“WAH!” I shouted as I felt the bridge sway strong.

There was a loud thud before that, what was that?!

I hurriedly looked behind me even though I’m still shaking with nervousness.

“CURTIANA!” Jaerin-oppa shouted as he ran towards her.

I tried my best to run fast to but I can’t help but to keep my knees wobbling.

“Are you okay?” I asked, worried.

She’s just sitting on the wooden path in such an odd manner while keeping her gaze on the river below the bridge. I grabbed her arms to help her get up but I involuntarily let it go instantly when I felt how much her body trembles.

“You don’t look so well. You’re quiet ever since, is there something wrong?” I questioned.

“Get up!” I perceived Soo Hyuk’s voice from behind, “You’re wasting time!”

I looked at him unbelievably realizing how inconsiderate he is at times like this. I guess Curt is seriously afraid of heights that’s why she’s like this. Can’t he even realize that?

“I’m not here to win. I’m here to enjoy.” I said in a cold tone, “So it is okay with me if I wait until she’s better.”

Jaerin-oppa stood up and smiled, “Well, I guess Su Hee’s right Soo Hyuk. Let’s keep Curt company first…wait where’s our guide and Mimi?”

“They went back to the starting point. He said that there might be students waiting there already.” Soo Hyuk answered.

He slowly walked towards out direction, trying his best not to make the bridge sway. When he reached our place, he knelt down to level both Curt and I.

“The guide left us because-” he pointed his thumb somewhere…WAIT! I see the fourth checkpoint!

“WE REACHED THE END OF THE BRIDGE!” I shouted in amazement.

“Yeah, that’s why you should make this girl get up so that we can get going.”

-

Well, we finished second in our activity today. We got stuck at the fifth check point because we had to build an enormous puzzle with pieces in complicated shapes and sizes. By the time we finished digging the pieces on the ground, it was the only time we realized that the other teams were already there too.

Sigh, it’s okay, today is worth it.

“Where’s the other girl?” Soo Hyuk asked as I reached the dining table.

“Other girl? Ah, you mean Curtiana?” I answered, “I was with the Professor Ahn at the kitchen today so I didn’t see her after we got here from the mission.”

Without further ado, he stood up from the table and seemed like he was looking for someone inside the dining hall.

“I don’t think she’s in here.” I commented, thinking that he’s probably searching for her.

“Soo Cha!” he called.

Soo Cha? The enemy? He was looking for Soo Cha? He was referring the other girl as Soo Cha? Eh?

“Yeah?” Soo Cha asked casually with a smile. It’s like Soo Hyuk and her knew each other very well with the tone she used. Ugh, her flirty moves.

“Eat with us here.” He continued.

I widened my eyes and let my jaw drop. I kept shaking my head wanting to catch Soo Hyuk’s attention. Did he just invite Soo Cha to eat with us here on our table? What is this? Why is this happening?

“Woah Bro! Making a move on a girl at a school activity! You got it man!” Jaerin teased.

No way I’m grouped with him! Did he just forget that Soo Cha and I are the talk of the school as of the moment because of the juice incident? Now I believe that this man is extremely inconsiderate.

Soo Cha sat beside Soo Hyuk while I sat two seats away from them. I don’t want to disturb them! Gosh! I’m so annoyed right now that I can eat this wooden table in one swallow. My gosh!

Well yeah, minutes had passed but they’re still chatting endlessly. I haven’t seen Soo Hyuk chatting with any girl before. We’ve been classmates since first year but this is the first time I’ve seen him socialize with a girl. Maybe he is really in love. Aigoo. When the talk is about love, you really tend to forget a girl’s negative attitude since you’re blinded by your feelings. I pity you Soo Hyuk for falling in love with such girl.

“Hey guys!” Curt greeted as she approached our table.

“You’re okay now? You look energetic and all.” I asked happily, finally feeling the aura of a real friend.

“Absolutely!” She smiled, “Oh! The brat who saved me is here. Hi!”

Is she also referring about Soo Cha? No way.

“You’re surely one of a kind.” Soo Cha answered.

WHAT ARE THEY TAKING ABOUT?!

“You mean I’m like an alien in Earth?” Curt asked in a 180 degree turn of aura.

“If you say so.”

“Are you guys dating?” She asked, referring about Soo Hyuk and Soo Cha who are sitting together.

I told you, we isolated the two of them that’s why they get easily noticed that they sit so close together.

Soo Cha placed her elbow on the table and rested her chin on her palm, “So what if we’re dating?”

“I…” Curt grinned and copied the way Soo Cha moved, “pity you.”

There was a long moment of silence as if every one in the table processed what her words meant.

I laughed, “I agree! You know being associa-”

I wasn’t able to finish my words since I felt a very dark aura around…I was right, it was Soo Hyuk, looking extremely annoyed while giving this scary look on his face.

“OH REALLY…” he said with a smirk.

Aigoo, here they go again.