Chapter 1

MASKED FEELINGS

 

“Who’s that?”

“Is she the transfer student from US?”

“Look at her lousy fashion!”

“Didn’t you know? I heard from our professor that she didn’t pay for tuition!”

“She’s a scholar!”

“So that means she’s poor!”

“Her cheap looks says it all!”

 

RRRIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG

 

Curtiana: Finally, lunch time. I’ve only been here in this school for half a day but I already hate the s surrounding me. It is really tough to cope up with the new surroundings, not to mention my dislike of socializing with these rich and proud people. I heard from someone that students here in this school think that they are the richest among the rich that is why they despise underprivileged students.

Shinwa University, also known as the learning ground of the sons and daughters of the noble families, is one among the top schools in Korea; among the top 10 in Asia.

Still, this school accepts scholars, who extremely proved their worth to stay and learn here. Some proved their skills in academics, but most number of scholars proved their skills in sports.
I am standing by the window, watching the students playing soccer on the fields when someone hit my head.

”Oy Newbie!”

I hurriedly looked behind me, only to see this tall guy looking really irritated.

”If you’re just going to stand there…at least, make way so others may walk through the hallway.”

He coolly pushed me sideward and started to walk away. When he was already at the staircase he stopped and looked at me with cold eyes.

”You don’t own the path so step aside next time, newbie.”

I really find my staying in, somehow, the middle of the hallway a bother for others as well. But who is he to hit my head with his iPad? Is he kind of showing off that he is rich? He could’ve just said excuse me or any polite words to ask me to step aside. That bastard has no manners! Time to teach him some lesson. I started to rush towards the staircase too, where the tall guy walked down to the lower floor. I looked down from the balcony and luckily, he is still few steps before reaching the end of the staircase. I grabbed the nearest object from where I stand (which turned out to be a half-empty bottle of water resting over the trash can) and aimed it to the head of the tall guy. By the time it hit him, he is already at the lower floor where many other students witnessed him yelled in pain. I smiled, evidently contented with what I did. Since I don’t want to attract the attention of the students from the lower floor, I hurriedly ran away to wherever to avoid them from seeing me, the culprit. Since the students here wanted to play naughty game to the new students, I thought, why not play with them?

I was running contentedly, pleasured with the thought of a successful revenge. As I was about to turn to a corner, I accidentally crashed to a random student who looks obligated to bring some paper works to the faculty room because of the hundred of papers that flew to the air as we collided to each other. It actually seemed like large confetti dropping from the air.

”Oh, my !” she cried as she stood up.

”I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” I repeatedly said and bowed. I felt really sorry for her since she’s the only one among the two of us who fell on the ground after our collision. Maybe because I was running that’s why I had the stronger force to be able to make her fall down.

”I’m really sorry, miss.” I said for one last time before I started helping her pick the papers on the ground.
She fixed her glasses since it actually tilted a bit when she fell.

”I’m sorry too, I didn’t see you.” She said.
I just smiled at her and continued what I was doing. I offered to help her carry the pile of papers to wherever she’s going…well, I actually guessed it right earlier, she’s heading to the faculty room to pass these to the professor. I helped her carry the other half amount of the papers so that it won’t cause her any hassle.

”You’re the new student right?” she asked as we strolled.

I looked at her in surprise, “Huh?” She actually knows that I am a new student?

She giggled for short time before answering me that we are in the same class that’s why she knew me. I felt slightly embarrassed for not recognizing her. But I guess right now, it is still acceptable since this is my first day here. I barely even got the interest to look at the faces of my classmates awhile ago. I don’t feel like befriending them either. All I know is that, some of them were talking about how cheap I look. Well I don’t care, let’s just say that I am being a rebel right now for wearing these boyish clothes. Somehow, I feel comfortable wearing them.

”Just don’t mind those girls talking about you earlier.” She said and gave me a serious face, “Those five girls are the daughters of high officials of the school that’s why they act brat and bossy. They’re not afraid to be scolded.”

”High officials?” I asked in amazement.

”Yeah, the deans, the stockholders, the secretary.” She explained. “Even the professor doesn’t dare to scold them since they know they’ll be fired when their parents get in the picture.”

I knew it. This school has really turned into a hole.

”There’s no such thing as student’s right when you’re talking about the sons and daughters of the school officials. Their parents seem to have lots of eyes surrounding every corner of the school so no one dares to mess with them.” She continued with a serious expression. “They don’t even respect someone like me who represented and carried the name of the school in different countries for many times, what more to a new scholar like you.”
I kept quiet for awhile, thinking whether I should ask her the question that runs into my mind right now or not. I mean, if she finds my question offensive, what should I do? I just thought how did she know all these? Is it based from a personal experience?

”What are you looking at?” she finally asked after noticing me looking at her. I just hook my head and smiled.

”There’s the faculty room! Here you go!” I energetically said and handed the papers back to her.

Before going apart she held my arm and looked at me with a serious face again.

”I really warn you not to mess with them. You won’t be the only person affected when they act against you. They will include your family and your friends. So just stay away from trouble.”

I confusedly nodded and let her words slide away from my mind. I don’t get the point of this school having specially treated students. That’s why I really don’t want to study here. If only I’m not who I am, I’m surely be a free person.

-

So this is how the cafeteria looks like, decorated especially for extremely rich people. I headed to the food corners one by one to see what food will suit my hunger. After passing 3 stalls, I saw that the next stall sells kimbap! The kimbap made by Korean hands! Well, yeah, it’s been a very long time since I ate kimbap made by a pure Korean. Mostly in restaurants abroad, kimbap is made by a native in that country so I can’t taste the Korean purity and touch. The last was actually made by our late head household, auntie Jade. She died a month ago, because of old age. She’s been with me in States since I was 2 years old. Every single day I wake up, she never forgets to mention my parents. I don’t tell her but I know that she doesn’t want me to hate them for leaving me alone abroad. I miss her so much.
The only time I noticed that I was spacing out was when someone ordered ahead of me when I am ACTUALLY in front of the line. I recognized him within just split seconds…he is the tall guy earlier!
”Oy! I’m actually the next one to order!” I said from behind him.
My words were no use since he is already finished saying his order. He didn’t even look at me to apologize or anything instead he just watched the man prepare his food. I sighed heavily and crossed my arms on my chest. I decided not to make a fuss and instead wait for him to leave peacefully. Aish! If this guy appears in front of me again, I would pull all of his hair strands out of his scalp! Seriously!

”Miss, excuse me, miss?”

I was startled for a moment since I didn’t hear the man inside the stall calling me. He was another member of the staffs of the food stall, attending to my needs.

”It’s her habit to space out, pardon her.” I heard the tall guy said to the staff.

I unbelievably looked at him as he smirked and walked away with his kimbap. Wow! He really is something! Who is that guy? I’m going to kill him!

”Kimbap!” I irately said to the staff.

It made him jolt backwards a bit since he was surprised of my sudden shouting. Upon realizing this, I awkwardly laughed and raised my palm.

”Ha ha, sorry.” With a fake smile, I said.

After getting my food, I sat by the nearest table I saw. Quietly, I ate the kimbap by myself. I almost choked when the girls suddenly yelled out of the blue. Good thing, I was able to spit it out at the right time before I nearly died.

What’s with all the yelling?

I looked around and noticed a group of about 20 to 30 girls crowding something. After few minutes, a tall man with blue hair emerged out of the crowd, followed by a guy with blonde hair. Somewhat, the guy with the blue hair looks extremely familiar…

”They’re part of the idol group named bigbang, that’s TOP and GD.” A voice suddenly said.

To my left, I saw the girl whom I crashed unto earlier.

”Can I sit here?” she asked pointing the chair in front of me.

I immediately nodded not thinking twice, “Sure.”
I asked her more about the bigbang thingy and why they are so popular here in school. I learned that they are actually popular in Korea, not only in school…and that they have three more members aside from these two here in the cafeteria.

”So you eat alone?” I asked as careful as possible.

”Yeah, don’t have friends.” She said while chewing one of the kimbap I offered her.

”Why? How long have you been here? Didn’t you say you’ve represented the school many times already? How come you don’t have friends if you have stayed long here? And…” I curiously threw question. “What’s your name?” I uncomfortably laughed after talking to her the whole time, not actually knowing what her name is.

She sniffed as she grabbed another kimbap from my plate, “I’m Su Hee and I’m a scholar.”

”Su Hee…” I quietly repeated. Her words made me kept quiet quiet. So this is how this school really works, they detest poor students. What’s the money’s role anyway when it comes to intelligence? Isn’t it more important?

”I’m a scholar since I am a freshman.” She continued, “I experienced all the bullying when I was a newbie here like you.”

I put down the chopsticks and sat up straight, this is what I actually wanted to hear.

”That’s why I am warning you not to fight back and just ignore them. Just don’t do it that way…like the way I did.”

I don’t want to ask anything right now since I can feel that she’s sad about something. All I know right now is that the way she’s talking about has something to do with those girls.

”Oh! Look who’s together!” I perceived a loud voice behind us, and as expecting, she’s one of those girls back in the classroom.

”The scholars!” Another one of them said.

”No wonder, birds of the same feather flock together!” They all laughed and started to walk past us.

I ignored them like what Su Hee said. I was about to eat another piece of kimbap when one of the girls suddenly poured juice on Su Hee. I sat on my chair unbelievably seeing them laugh at her.

”WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM?!” I shouted and stood up. My voice actually made the whole cafeteria’s noise die down. All eyes looked at me.

”Ohhh, she’s angry. I’m so scared.” The girl who poured juice on Su Hee jokingly shivered.

”WHO ARE YOU TO POUR JUICE ON HER?” I shouted louder.

”AND WHO ARE YOU TO SHOUT AT ME?!” She threw back, “As if you can do anything…right girls?”

The girls made and agreeing sound as they all smirked at me. They started rolling their eyes as they walked away from us.

I smirked, getting the thought of playing games with them as well. I grabbed the largest piece of kimbap from my plate and threw it towards the girl who spilled her juice on Su Hee. She shouted in disgust upon realizing what just hit her. I grabbed Su Hee’s drink from the table and walked towards the girls who are melodramatically disgusted with a piece of kimbap hitting her hair. They all looked surprised seeing me standing before them. I believe that they are quite surprised grasping the thought that I would fight back.

”You girls like to play dirty games.” I said.

I raised Su Hee’s drink and slowly poured it on the same girl. After the bottle was empty, I threw it to the shoulder of her friend who is standing right beside me. I pushed the next girl to the ground and I pretended to kick the next one. When my feet is about to hit her I stopped, trying to give her time to run away. Instead, she just fell down her knees maybe because she was frightened that her awful face almost got hit by a strong kick. I fixed myself and looked at the annoying girl.

“I always loved to play, so I really thank you for inviting me to join your  game.” I smirked.