Chapter 2

MASKED FEELINGS

CurtianaI walked home after a long day. I guess I was in somehow, peace the rest of the day because the brat girls didn’t show up in the next classes. Su Hee was really worried and restless the whole day after witnessing that I stood up for her. Well, I just can’t believe that she lets them do such things to her to the extent that she’ll allow them to humiliate herself in front of a large number of people. I just put in my mind that I must be extremely careful since I can sense that those girls can really play dirty games. Those es!

I pulled out a crumpled piece of paper from my pocket which indicates the address of the house I’m going to stay at for the meantime. My parents were the ones who arranged everything and they already sent my huge luggage to the place, so all I have to bring right now are the things I brought to school. As I reached the entrance of the village, I realized that this is somewhat luxurious. The big houses prove it all. Isn’t this too much for someone like me who’s going to live alone? I mean, why here? I can manage to stay in an apartment with one room. Plus, it took a twenty-minute bus ride from school, so this means…I have to wake up early everyday just to arrive school in time?! Gosh! It took me three turns to a corner until I reached a white two-story house which seemed to be made for six people to live in. My parents are too exaggerated, I only needed a room and it’s enough. I unwillingly entered the gate and headed to the door way. I feel so exhausted after walking for like ten minutes from the bus stop. So if I’ll sum everything up, it is a 30 minute travel to school! Seriously?!

I inserted the key to the key hole and dragged my exhausted body inside. I just arrived yesterday from the States so I still feel a bit dizzy and I’m still coping up with the large time/day difference. Add up the crazy things that happened this day. I removed my shoes at the doorway and opened the shoe cabinet beside the door. To my surprise, several other pairs of shoes are already resting peacefully inside. I’m sure these are not my shoes! The female shoes are too small, and obviously not my style and there…are shoes for men too! I hurriedly looked up to the hallway leading to the living room and THE LIGHTS ARE FREAKING SWITCHED ON! WAIT! DID I ENTER THE WRONG HOUSE?! I was about to go out to check if I saw the address of this house correctly, but I decided not to since the key that was given to me by my mom fitted the key hole…so that means I’m at the right house! But why…

I quietly walked to the living room, trying my best to just tiptoe. As I got closer, I heard faint sounds of the television. SOMEONE IS WATCHING!

”Kids, we’re about to eat!” A female voice echoed in the whole house. I peeked to the right side of the hallway and saw the living room. There is a little kid, maybe the age of 6 sitting on the couch. I seriously don’t remember my mom mentioning about a kid and a female in the house, so who are they?! I was about to get my phone from my pocket to ask my mom about these stuffs in the house when I realized someone is already standing at the left side of the hallway looking at me.

“WAAA! YOU! MONSTER!” I shouted loudly recognizing him as the tall guy who messed with me earlier at school.

“WHY ARE YOU HERE?!” I continued.

He just raised his eyebrow at me and continued to stare at me with cold eyes.

“HOW DID YOU GET IN? I LOCKED THE DOOR! YOU GHOST?!” I panicked, “AH STALKER! ?!”

“What’s going on there?” I heard the female voice again.

“Mom, there’s a burglar.” The tall guy calmly said without taking his eyes away from me.

Wow! I can’t believe how this guy can be so expressionless. I mean if I’m a real burglar, would he really react the same way? They could’ve been robbed big time if that so!

“Burglar? Where?” The female voice got closer to where I am this time. I peeked back to the right side of the hallway and I was right, she’s already standing there. She’s holding a spatula on her hand and an apron on her body, the way it looks, she’s cooking dinner. I jumped in front of her and bowed many times.

“I’m sorry, ma’am, I’m really, really, really sorry. I think I just entered the wrong house. This is my first time here in this village so I’m really sorry. I was about to leave but that bad guy appeared in all of a sudden. I’m really sorry!” I bowed for one last time.

When I straightened back up, she is just looking at me with wide eyes. Wait a second!

THIS WOMAN LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE AUNTIE JADE!

I stood in the space frozen not knowing if I should believe my own eyes or not. She looks like auntie Jade ten years ago, the younger version of her! What’s the meaning of this thing?

“CURTIANA!” She shouted.

I blinked many times not knowing how to respond.

“CHOI CURTIANA!” She repeated.

“Mom, she’s not Choi, she’s Park…so she’s not the person you’re looking for.” The tall guy said and afterwards looked at me, “Shoo. Get out of our house.”

“So you two know each other! That’s great but…” She stopped and hit the tall gigantic guy with the spatula, “Where did your manners go?!”

How did the lady know my real surname? I guess she knows my parents and the truth about my real identity. At school earlier, I introduced myself as Park Curtiana, just like the name I used when I was in States. I didn’t follow my birth name Choi since I just don’t like getting linked to that name. Park is actually auntie Jade’s surname, which I just borrowed. Even though she’s already dead, I don’t find the reason to change back and use the surname Choi once again.

“Even so, do you think there’s someone else in this world named Curtiana?! It’s a very pretty name only meant for a very pretty girl!” the lady shouted.

“Ewww.” The kid who is watching the television interrupted, “Pretty as Aki’s ”

“If you don’t want to see a flying spatula, you better keep quiet boy!”

“Um, Aki? Is he someone you know?” I asked out of curiosity.

Out of nowhere, the tall guy just pointed his finger to a large Siberian husky lying beside the kid.

I laughed out of amazement, “COOL! THEN THAT DOG’S MUST BE A SUPER STAR!”

I smiled uncomfortably and awkwardly moved in the little space. These two terrible guys are so annoying. I turned to look at the lady who is laughing loudly because of my statement. “Yes ma’am, I’m Choi Curtiana.”

“Liar, you’re a Park awhile ago!” the tall guy butted in. He tried to say something else but the lady strongly pushed him away which made him hit the wall.

“FINALLY! I HAVE A DAUGHTER IN THE HOUSE!” she shouted.

“DAUGHTER? IN THE HOUSE? LIVING TOGETHER? ALL OF US?” I questioned in so much disbelief. This is not right! My dad, my mom, I’m going to kick their when I see them!

“WELCOME HOME!” She raised both of her arms as if she is presenting me the house.

It took several seconds before I shouted together with the kid and the tall bad guy, “SERIOUSLY?”

”I…I’m sorry, but I guess…you’re wrong…My mom said that I’ll be living…”

”Living with us! You came home at the right time, the dinner is ready, let’s go to the dining area!” She energetically said and disappeared before our sight.

I stayed at my place for few more minutes, still shocked with all the events.

”Who are you?” The tall guy grabbed my arm and pushed me to the wall, “I don’t want you here, brat…Ah! You’re an illegitimate child! Are you my mom’s? Or my dad’s? This is unacceptable!”

Finally getting a hold of myself, I got the thought of his words telling me that I am a brat and a freaking illegal child!!!

“WOW MAN! I just appeared in your house and I’m already an illegitimate child of your parent! Can’t I be considered a visitor first or house guest before getting to that level? Giant nut shell!” I answered and shove him away.

”I don’t like living with strangers, how terrible.” I heard the kid said.

I smirked, “I bet you two are brothers, both ill-mannered.” And I stuck my tongue out.

I rushed to follow the path of the lady whom I believe, the mom of those two awful guys. I need someone to explain to me what the heck is happening. After hearing that she knows my name, I guess I didn’t enter the wrong house after all.

“Ma’am, excuse me…” I said as I entered the kitchen.

“Oh you’re here to help! Finally, I have a daughter who would cook with me in the kitchen!” She said handing me four plates and four glasses. I faked a smile and hurried to the dining table outside the kitchen. I hurriedly put the things I’m carrying down and rushed back to the kitchen.

“Ma’am I just wanted…”

“Here you go ~ ” she sang as she handed me a large bowl of rice.

Again with a fake smile on, I nodded and ran to the dining room. By the time I got back to the table, the two guys are sitting already on the chairs with their arms crossed over their chest. I leaned down to get close to the ear of the tall guy.

“Your mom sure is something!” I quietly commented.

I didn’t wait for him to respond and instead I ran back to the kitchen.

“I wanted to know…”

“Here’s the delicious curry! The fruits will go next!” She said and went back to cutting the watermelon.

I sighed knowing that she’s trying her best for me not to bring up anything about our sudden living together. She seems energetic, and fun, I think I’ll just make her frustrated if I bring up the topic about living together. Plus, she really resembles auntie Jade…

“I just wanted to know where I should sit at the dining table?” I lied about my question. It should actually be, why are we living together? Sigh.

“WOW!” She clapped happily, “So you’re okay living in our house! YAY! I really have a daughter!” She jumped to hug me.

“You go sit in front of Leo. I’ll serve the fruits!” She said, excited. “And call me mom from now on! I always wanted to have a daughter, really!”

I nodded and I leisurely walked towards the dining area, I can’t believe I agreed to this. This is not right. If that lady knows me, my mom or my dad must’ve explained everything to her. Plus I am living with that tall guy, who is actually my schoolmate, my classmate! Just simply what the hell! Everything is completely messed up!

”That chair is supposed to be my mom’s, shoo.” The kid coldly said after I sat down in front of the tall guy.

“Your mom told me to sit in front of Leo, so it is you and not this tall guy?” I asked, pretending to be really innocent. “Ill-mannered kid!” I stuck my tongue out and transferred seats.

I started thinking that it would not be bad to live with other people since it’s sad to be alone. Maybe I should not be alone these few days since I’m still coping up with auntie Jade’s death. I guess it’s a good experience for me to live with someone I can call mom. I’ve always wanted to live in a cozy home with my mom and my dad but our situation makes it really impossible for that to happen. I wanted to feel how a mom waits for me until I get home from school and eat the dinner she prepared for me. And like what the lady said earlier, I wanted to try cooking in the kitchen with my own mom too. I feel like crying right now. But I don’t want to shed tears. I promised myself when I survived my first year in States that I would never cry again. Even when auntie Jade died, I didn’t cry because I promised her that I will stay strong no matter what. I must keep and fulfill that promise.

“Yeah, that’s Leo.” The lady appeared from the kitchen, “And this is his ill-mannered brother, Soo Hyuk.”

“I bet they didn’t acquire that attitude from you ma’am.” I said and stuck my tongue to both of them.

“Sho mom, tel me, how did dish shtinky girl shuddenly get chu live widush?” The kid, Leo, asked even when his mouth is full of rice and curry, "and you, don't tell me you already agreed to live here?"

Aigoo, I think I should teach this kid some lesson one day and we’ll see who’s stinky! Anyways, what’s the story behind my arrival to this house? Should I really stay here? When I see my parents, they'll get what they want from me, aigoo.