Baekhyun: Chapter 20, Final

The Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Subconsciously, you reach a hand out and slap him across the cheek. As soon as you do it, your eyes widen in shock, and you pull your hand back, cringing at yourself for what you've done. Baekhyun cups his cheek and stares at you, and a gauche silence follows. 

"Did you just ... " he starts.

"Sorry!" you panic, becoming flustered. "Oh my gosh, I didn't mean to ... I swear ... my hand jut moved on its own, and I - "

But then Baekhyun laughs. Really laughs, as if you've just done something hilarious. Except what you did wasn't hilarious at all. You hit the side of his face, and even your fingers are stinging with the action. 

"Uh ... are you okay?" You ask.

"I missed that," he grins, shaking his head.

"Missed what?"

"Your hitting me," he answers. 

You snort. "You want me to hit you again?"

"No thanks ... " he says, backing off. You smirk, and he pats his cheek, as if to make sure that his face is still intact. "And anyway, that wasn't an answer."

"Yes, it was," you respond hostilely.

"It was?" He hesitates. "Then ... what was it supposed to mean?"

"No," you say, and turn away.

"Wait, no what?" He pleads, chasing after you. He attempts to keep up with your stride, but you're going too fast. "What does that 'no' mean?" Exasperated, he grabs your arm and pulls you to a stop. You turn to face him, but seeing that he's uncomfortably close, you step back. 

"It means no," you say firmly. He looks at you, confused, as if he honestly doesn't understand why you'd reject him.

"No ... why no?"

"Because you're a lousy jerk," you define. "Because I want to be friends with you, and then I thought that was all I wanted, but I guess I was wrong, huh?" Getting riled up, you spiritedly continue, "Because you know, life in a way that just when you think you have it all figured out, you realize you don't. And just when I thought I was okay with being a nobody at school, and that you got confessions every day without even trying, well ... I thought I was okay with that. And then I guess I wasn't. Because when we started the Contract, I saw ... gosh," you sigh, gritting your teeth. "That stupid Contract. Which we never should have started, because it was always in the back of my mind as I kept thinking about how I might like you and all that crap, and I realize that I did, and I know I'm not making any sense, and I ... " you slow down, taking a deep breathe. "It's not like I thought all this out," you murmur. "What I'm saying right now ... is just ... it's just coming out, and it's probably coming out all wrong, because I with words like that. So I guess ... " You meet his eyes seriously and state, "I hate you, Byun Baekhyun."

He blinks. "You do?"

"I hate you," you repeat. "Because you make me feel like somebody. And I hate you for having the ability to make me embarrassed and weak, and for having this stupid effect on me where I don't know what to do with myself every time you're around. I hate you for that. I hate you, okay?" You take a step forward, clenching your jaw, forcing yourself to remain focused. "I hate you."

Baekhyun stares at you in utter bewilderment. "Wait ... so what you're saying is ... "

"This," you interrupt, and with that you tug on his hand, lean in, and kiss him.

You've never really been one to take the initiative before. You like playing it safe. Safe is comfortable. Safe is secure. Safe is predictable. A part of you doesn't really know why you did what you just did - kissed Baekhyun, your one and only best friend and potential boyfriend - but you can't take it back now, and while a part of you wishes you could, the majority of you intends to keep kissing him.

And Baekhyun is kissing you back, which is a fact that doesn't go unnoticed by you. You've always seen him as a callow boy with a flair for attracting unwanted attention, but nothing in the way his lips move against yours screams immaturity. You find yourself getting lost against his touch, and he does nothing to stop you. This isn't at all like the past two kisses he's given. Those kisses had made you feel crazy. But now, you're sure you're positivel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter