Baekhyun: Chapter 17

The Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"What?" You blink, completely taken off guard.

"We should break it," he reiterates. "Lose it. Cut it off. Let's go home. Let's go home right now and get rid of our copies," he says firmly, standing up and pushing the chair back.

"Wh - what?" You stammer. You're so confused and disoriented that you can barely function. Belatedly, you stand up, as well, and try to stop Baekhyun. "Wait, what are you saying?"

"You don't want it anymore, right?" He asks you. "And we don't need it anymore, do we?"

"Is that a trick question?" You say, trying to buy some time.

"I'm being serious," he notifies you. 

"But how ... what are you saying about us not needing it anymore?" You stare at him, trying to understand his actions. He keeps his eyes on yours, but there is little you can do to identify the emotion that is coursing behind his dilated pupils. "Baek ... I ... is it because ... you want to date ... for real?" Your voice comes out in a weak whisper, and you hammer your chest with a fist to try to get the lodge in your throat. You feel vulnerable after saying those words. That could have easily been taken as a confession, which is probably how Baekhyun is interpreting it. He's not responding at all, at least not in a way that's visible. His eyes are still stable, and when he opens his mouth to speak, the blunt, flat tone succeeds in disappointing you.

"No," he says. And then he turns away, refusing to look at you. You watch him helplessly as he walks toward the door. You wish you could interpret his mind by staring at his receding back. He pauses right in front of the door, slightly turns his head, and mumbles, "You can tear it up when you go home." After leaving those words in the frigid air, he pulls the door open and walks outside.

You remain seated for what feels like an hour as you try to process what had just happened. You stare at Baekhyun's old wallet resting on the table. You reach out and finger the fading leather, running your hand over the unravelling threads. You wish you hadn't given Baekhyun that new wallet. You wish you hadn't bought it. Maybe if you hadn't felt considerate, this moment would have never arrived.

Break the Contract? So is it over, just like that? 

Is this what it feels like to break up with someone?

Is it even right for you to feel this way at all, when you were only dating him under the circumstances?

Are you being selfish?

Are you being insecure?

Or are you simply acting the way a rejected girl should?

None of this makes sense, and your mind takes futile spins. Your thoughts burrow and scurry, and all you can do is vainly try to grasp an idea before it scampers away. You tighten your grasp on the wallet and try not to think about Baekhyun. Baekhyun and his idiotic smile. Baekhyun and his easy charm. Baekhyun, alway

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter