Baekhyun: Chapter 16

The Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Well, we’re dating, right? I honestly don’t know. But the fact that he chose me besides another says something, don't you think?" You answer. She watches you, her eyes going from your face to the bag in your hand, before she takes a step back.

"Listen," she starts, "You - "

"And why do I always bump into you, anyway?" You ask her. "Are you stalking me?"

"What?" She stutters, flabbergasted.

You grin. "That was a joke."

She just gapes at you as if she can't comprehend what had just happened before she crosses her arms. "Ask him."

"Excuse me?"

"Ask him if he likes you," she challenges.

You scoff. "I don't need to do that. Look, if you want to know him so much, ask him yourself if he likes me."

She honestly considers your proposition, because a knowing look passes her eyes. You open your mouth to take back what you've said, but she doesn't affirm your suspicions. "Do what you want. I'm going." Before you can say anything else, she's turned around and left, leaving your unexpected resolve to deflate. You seethe as you watch her exit before you walk the opposite way and head out of the mall.

She's overly curious about Baekhyn's feelings for you, although you can't blame her. You're curious, as well. And it's not just about the Contract anymore. It's about your heart. You want to know if he sincerely likes you, and if he's willing to date you outside of the Contract.

Things are going well, aren't they? That contract was created for personal benefits. You were saved from being the outcast, and even though you don't entirely appreciate your new label, it's somewhat better than being uninteresting. As for Baekhyun, he hasn't been getting all those confessions, although Min's been a constant pain in his ... well. Rear end. Actually, that's a lie. Min is not doing anything to Baekhyun. Min is pestering you more than she is bothering Baekhyun. So really, in the end, the only thing that's changed for him is that he hasn't gotten as many confessions as before. If anything, you're the one who has experienced more change, and not just in social status, either. The Contract had ignited your feelings for Baekhyun, feelings you hadn't even been aware of, feelings you were afraid to acknowledge. And now that your position in his life has been compromised, you're afraid. Being friends with the opposite is a weak place in life. One can go from friends to something more in so quick a moment. Yours just took a lot longer than most people, but you should have seen it coming. You've known him for years. You should have expected that, eventually, you'd form feelings for him.

The question is whether he has the same feelings for you.

You decide to call Baekhyun and ask him what he's up to. He answers you on the third ring, and with bated breath, you greet, "Baek!"

"You sound lively," he comments, and you ignore his flat tone easily.

"Can I see you?"

"Eh?"

"Uh, can we meet somewhere?" You rephrase the question. "Are you near the mall?"

"Maybe," he answers airily. "Why?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter