Baekhyun: Chapter 10

The Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It takes a lot of self control for you to hold back from saying something particularly caustic. Thankfully, Baekhyun breaks the pressure by pulling away from Min and hurriedly saying, "We can eat dinner, that's alright."

"That's great," Min says, reaching for his arm again, but once more Baekhyun evades her moves by folding his hands behind his back and rocking back and forth on his heels. She stares at her outstretched fingers before returning her hands to her side and glancing at her 'boyfriend'. "Shall we go?"

"Sure," you reply, making a move to follow her. Before you can keep your position by Baekhyun, Min stands beside him. You suppose her thought process is that, if she can't hold his hand, she might as well be as close to him as she possibly can. Unwilling to feel miffed, you decide to walk next to the new guy, who is busy staring at their backs with wide eyes.

"So uh, what's your name?" You ask him, trying to make conversation. He jolts, as if your words have suddenly brought him back from his own thoughts.

"Uh, Chanyeol," he responds, his deep, rich voice resonating from within his chest. He clears his throat and awkwardly walks alongside you, staring at the ground as he tries to parallel his step to yours.

"Do you, um, know Min well?"

He shakes his head. "Not really. She's my neighbor. But I don't talk to her."

"So you don't have a crush on her."

He looks at you, surprised. "Where'd you get that?"

"Min," you shrug, and he just nods like he completely understands. "She said she got confessed to this morning. But if you didn't do it, then I guess somebody else did."

"Well, I did see her this morning," Chanyeol ponders out loud. "But I only said good morning. And then she came by my house a few hours ago and said she needed to go to the city, and she needed me to take her, so I did." He makes a face at this, puffing up his cheeks and sighing. "I didn't really have anything to do, anyway. So I came."

"And now you're on a date," you conclude as you pass by a street light. You watch as Min pretends to trip on something, but Baekhyun barely even reacts to her dramatic act. She flips her hair over her shoulder and continues to walk adamantly. "She always like that?"

"Flirty? Not really. She's actually pretty nice," Chanyeol informs you, and you can't help but be shocked at this. Nice? Min? Nice? That's like, impossible. "I mean it," he pushes his statement, realizing that you don't believe him. "This is the first time I've seen her like this. But I guess I don't know her that well, so maybe she's like this all along and I never noticed." He bends down to pick up a discarded water bottle from the floor and throws it into a nearby trash can. "I don't know," he resumes. "I just came because she said she'd get me food."

You laugh. "Sounds like a deal to me."

"We're here," Min yells over her shoulder. Seeing you talking to Chanyeol, she smirks, "You guys look good together," earning a curious Baekhyun to turn your way. His eyes rest on you, and once more you can't tell what he's thinking. You reach them both just as Baekhyun pulls open the door to the restaurant, allowing all of you inside.

Min enters first, followed by Chanyeol. You trail behind and wait for Baekhyun to follow you, and when he does, he leans in and whispers in your ear, "Is he nice?"

"Why do you want to know?" You whisper back. The restaurant is dimly lit; you almost trip in your lack of awareness. Baekhyun steadies you by placing a hand on your arm, but you shake him off before any potential feelings can arise and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter