Baekhyun: Chapter 1

The Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Another confession?”

“What?” Baekhyun asks, stirring from his position on the bench. He sits up and rubs his eyes tiredly, stretching his arms and attempting to fix his brown hair, which is streaked with glimmers of sandy gold.

“This,” you say, waving the folded yellow stationary in his face. When he sees it, he blushes immediately and ducks his head in embarrassment. Sighing, he straightens his uniform, closes his eyes, and leans his back against the brick wall.

You’re behind the athletic building where most sports equipment is kept. Because of the solitude this place provides, Baekyun comes here often to take a nap in between class breaks. You always come here, too, if only to about being lazy, but most of the time you just come for his company. Baekhyun is your best friend, after all, and he’s a guy you’ve grown up with since you first moved into the area ten years ago. You’re comfortable around him, and he’s comfortable around you, and there isn’t anything you’d want to do to change that.

The thing is, Baekhyun is extremely good looking, and even you can’t deny that. You’ve had a crush on him once back in grade school, but it was an emotion that was fleeting, an emotion stemmed from childhood fantasies. You can’t possibly like him now, anyway. He’s become too good of a friend for you to suddenly like. Plus, he’s popular with the girls, and if you were to choose to like him, you’d easily become lost in the sea of all those females who chase after him.

He’s so popular that he gets confessions from girls almost every day. It might be due to the fact that he’s the only handsome male student (considering this school is made up of 80% females), or it might be due to the fact that he’s rich and yet has chosen to attend a local public school. Either way, he’s a dream come true for most of your female classmates, and every girl does her best to win his affection.

It’s gotten so bad to the point that Baekhyun tries to avoid female interaction at all costs. Except you, that is. He doesn’t mind hanging out with you.

But of course you’re an exception. You doubt he even sees you as a girl. You doubt anybody in this school even sees you as a girl. You’re not exactly outstandingly special. Sure, you take the time to heighten your features, make sure your hair and face look good, little thinks like that, but you don’t wake up an hour or so before school starts like all the other girls at this school just to put on layers and layers of makeup. You don’t have the time for that. You’d rather be lazy. You’d rather, well, sleep.

You’re not the smartest student in your class, either. Heck, you’re probably low-ranked on the school’s academic list, which is practically nonexistent. It’s not that you don’t try to get good grades; you do, you really do.  But the teachers must be conspiring against you or something, because every time you get your report card, it’s always the same as it was before, and the number it was before was never anything worth boasting about.

You don’t hang out with the girls at this school, either. It’s not that you don’t want to hang out with them, but you know for a fact that they don’t want to hang out with you, even if you try to be friendly. Every time they look at you, they turn their noses up and walk away. Why? It’s not because you didn’t straighten your hair this morning, or because you got a less then average grade. It’s because you’re Baekhyun’s best friend – that is, his only best friend.

Baekhyn doesn’t have that many friends, either. Sure, tons of guys look up to him, but most never dare talk to him, either because they respect him too much, or because they’re afraid. You don’t understand what’s there to fear about Baekhyun. He isn’t exactly a scary guy. Most males at the school don’t talk to him because he’s practically stolen every available girl within the vicinity.

Not that Baekhyun does it purposefully. All he has to do is sit in a classroom during a lesson or at the cafeteria during lunch, and the girls are drooling over his insanely good looks while the guys look on with both awe and anger. That’s what happens when a guy, who is both rich and handsome, enters a common, ordinary school. He involuntarily wreaks havoc on both es.

Why are you friends with Baekhyun? That’s a good question. The only thing you have in common is your lack of friends. Other than that, there aren’t many similarities. He’s rich, you’re middle-class. He’s immensely attractive, while you don’t consider yourself to be attractive at all. He’s popular with the opposite , and you … well, to put it shortly, if you were to walk into the school in your most revealing article of clothing, probably nobody would notice you.

(Well, okay, maybe that’s an exaggeration, but the point is there.)

The only reason girls at this school even talk to you in the first place is because of Baekhyun. “Famous by association” is the term, although you don’t appreciate only being acknowledged just because you know Baekhyun so well. You’re an underdog in all other terms, except for those times in lunch when Baekhyun plops his tray next to yours and chooses to sit with you. Day after day he does this, and you can never tell whether he’s doing this to infuriate his fan girls, or because he really does want to sit with his friend, a complete loser.

Maybe it’s both.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter