Vanilla Cappucino

Junho & Soeun

Every Saturday morning, she would get up early as she can and headed to her favourite café at downtown. It takes about 15 minutes by walking from her house. This routine has been her habit since she moved out from her old apartment.

Thanks to her best friend whom introduced this café to her. After drowning herself in stack of papers, it’s good time to reward herself with a cup of vanilla cappuccino and a slice of blueberry cheese cake. Little did she knew that this routine was about to change her life.

Wearing a brown leather jacket and jeans that hugged her leg nicely while her hair is let loose, she walks down the path elegantly.  Someone who is apparently late for something hit her from the back causing the maiden to fall on her knee.

“Ouch!” She grunted and looked up to see the criminal but he already running ahead her. “Why he - !”

She is trying her best to ignore the pain but badly. She walks with a lump until she reached her favourite café. At what she thoughts she could arrived in 15 minutes, it takes her about 20 minutes because of her injured knee.

She pushed the glass door and makes a way to the counter where a tall brunette girl greeted her. The worker is familiar to her that she throws her a knowledge smile.

“Welcome to Aurora Café.  I assumed your order is the same as usual?”

She nods and smile softly. “Yes, please. I’ll be at my usual seat.” And when she meant by usual seat, she loved to sit at the back while facing the glass window where she could saw pedestrians passing by.

“Of course. One of the waiter would deliver your order.” She said before giving back her balance.


Placing her bag on the counter table, she took out her small notepad and scribbled something on it. Most of her closest friend know about her habit which she always loved to write a short poem or short story and published at newspaper for new writer column.

Her submission was so high in demand that the newspaper company has continuously paid her for her contributions so she could continue to submit her work.

“Here is your vanilla cappuccino and a slice of blueberry cheese cake. Plus, a plate of raisin cookies on the house.” A masculine voice greeted her and she looked up to thank him but flabbergasted when she realized that he was the one who hit her.

She pointed at her finger on his face with fury look. “Yo – you! Because of you I injured my knee. How dare you didn’t apologized to me after you hit me back there.” She glanced at his name tag furiously. “Junho!”

The waiter bites his lower lip and glancing around to make sure his manager didn’t hear her or he would be fired right away for assaulting customer. “I’m – I’m really sorry. I will paid for your injury later. I – I was already late for the work that unintentionally, I was hitting you in the process. I will make it up for my trouble but please, don’t complaint to my manager. Today is my first day at work.” He begged and hoping she would showed him a mercy.

Soeun has a tendency to get soften especially for this kind of problem. She could related herself at his problem and decided to let it pass. “Fine. The pain wasn’t that hurt anyway. Go do your work or your manager would think the otherwise.”

“Seriously? No, is there anything you want me to do?”

“Massaging my feet?” She lets out a funny laugh. “Nah, it’s okay. I can handle this by myself. Go!” She ordered him. Although he was reluctant but he obeyed her order anyway.


Her stomach was rumbling that being asked for food. She her lower lips and gathered all her stuff into her bag. She thoughts about stuffing herself at local story managed by her neighbourhood. She bids her goodbye and walks out from the café.

She was about to cross the road when someone called out her name. She turned around only to find herself gasped by his presence in front of her. “Junho?”

“My lunch ended at 2. Mind if I accompany you? As a token of gratitude for not complaining to my manager.” He said; out of breath.

Soeun laughed softly and circling her hand over his. “Come on! I will show you my favourite shop. I have to tell you that her cook is superb!”