Key Oppa

Every Breath We've Ever Taken

Jonghyun Oppa brought us to a little park after we finished our drinks. It was nice. Because it was during the school year, the playground was empty. Oppa and I sat next to each other on the swings as we continued our talk.

"Oppa," I called his attention. "What happened after the piano room?"

Jonghyun smiled as he stood up. He stood in front of my swing, keeping me steady with his hands holding onto both ropes. "You want to know everything, don't you?" He chuckled.

"Everything!" I grinned. "Jeba, Oppa?"

"Arasso." Jonghyun kissed my forehead.

I prepared myself for the rest of the story.

"After we kissed in the piano room, everything became awkward."

"Jinja?"

"Neh." Jonghyun smiled, recalling his memories. "No one knew that we kissed, let alone that it wasn't the first time."

"Eh?" I furrowed my eyebrows. "You didn't tell your Hyungs? I didn't tell my Unnies?"

He chuckled. "Apparently not. But I really did want to tell them. I couldn't though."

"Waeyo?"

"At the time, Key had confided in me a little secret."

"A secret?"

"Dae." Oppa tried to hide a smile. "Did you know that Key liked you?"

"Bwoh?!" I stood up. "Key Oppa?!"

"Neh, Key."

"Key Oppa liked me?"

For some reason, this fact was hard to digest. Key and I aren't very far apart in age, and he'd always been such a good friend to me. I just didn't think that it was possible! Key Oppa was very handsome, and in my eyes, he was out of my league.

"Why didn't he say anything?!"

"I think he was going to..." Jonghyun stepped back and led me to the wooden castle play area. I followed him around the maze. "But for some reason he didn't."

"What did he tell you?" I asked as I caught up to him.

Oppa stopped in his tracks. He thought, "Come to think of it, it was the night of your debut."

I waited for him to explain.

"While you performed, and I waited backstage, Key came up behind me. He was just staring at the stage, it was like he was in a trance almost."

"A trance?"

"I asked him if he was okay, and he told me, Hyung... Have you ever liked someone in the company? I told him I had before--"

"Who?!" I teased. "Kim Jonghyun, have you dated an idol before me?" I chuckled.

"Anya!" He said in a huff. "Lindi--"

"Oppa, I'm joking."

"Oh." Oppa blushed.

"Continue with your story." I smiled.

"Right." He cleared his throat. "Well, after that, I asked him who he liked. He said,  I don't know if I should say. It's embarrassing, and I don't know if she likes me back."

Poor Key Oppa, I thought to myself. That's always frustrating -- liking someone that you know won't like you back. I would know, wouldn't I?

"I told him that he'll never know unless he says something." Jonghyun ran his fingers through his hair. "And then he said, It's Lindi, Hyung. She's beautiful. But I know she'll never like me the way I like her."