Exactly

Every Breath We've Ever Taken

//JIYOUNG//

 

"I'm sick of this." I gritted my teeth together as new pictures of Lindi and Key's photo shoot for Clean and Clear appeared on cyworld. No matter how hard I try to get her out of the way, netizens just remind me how amazing she is. Well, she's not. I know I worked harder than her when we were trainees. I deserved it more than she did. I didn't need that whole other year between me and the spotlight. It just wasn't fair.

"Aigoo," Joo-yeon Unnie sighed at my expression.

I could tell that all my complaining about Lindi wore her out. She didn't like how our situation ended up. She, Lindi, and I were all such good friends back in the trainee days. But when the time came that Lindi debuted ahead of us, Joo-yeon felt the bulk of my frustration.

"Give it a rest, Jiyoung-ah." Joo-yeon threw down her magazine in frustration. "It's pathetic, this feud, if it even is a feud, with Lindi-sshi." She bit her lip, clearly letting her anger show. "We were best friends. Have you forgotten all of it?"

"Anya." I said quietly, keeping my face away from her.

"Why would you go through all this trouble just to steal away Onew? Huh?" Joo-yeon spat questions at me. "What will this solve? You want another scandal that will ruin our careers? Is that worth getting back at Lindi just because she debuted before us?"

"I know it won't, but I need to do this!" I stood up from my seat and screamed this in my Unnie's face.

I wanted to say that I had a good reason to hate Lindi so much, but I really didn't. And stealing Onew--this might just be for my own sake. I want to prove that I can get something that Lindi wanted so much. Debuting was something that I wanted so dearly, but she grabbed it just before I could reach.

"I need to do this." I repeated.

"Don't count me in your plan." Joo-yeon shook her head. "This is cruel."

I scoffed. "I didn't expect you to understand."

Joo-yeon smirked. "Oh, right. Getting even was always yours and Lindi's thing."

 

//ONEW//

 

Love is so strange to me. This love especially--why have I held onto it for so long? It makes me seem so pathetic, now that I think about it. I'm waiting for a girl who is in love with someone else, and that someone is my dongsaeng. It couldn't hurt Jonghyun like that. He doesn't deserve the pain. If anything, I should stay away for his happiness--Lindi's happiness even if it's at the expense of my own. That would be right, wouldn't it?

"Hyung!"

I turned around. Taemin stood in front of me with a smile. His orange hair fell messily in front of his eyes, yet I could still clearly see his disappearing eyes.

"Neh?" I grinned, hiding my problems.

"What are we going to do for Lindi Noona's birthday?" Taemin sat down beside me.

Oh, right. Her birthday is tomorrow. I wonder if Jonghyun has anything in mind...

I shrugged, "Ask Jonghyun."

"He's stressing." Taemin chuckled. "He doesn't know what to do either."

Minho walked in the room to join us. He sat down in front of me and Taemin. "Well, we have to get a cake for starters. I can get it. after my schedule."

"Why don't we dance for Noona? She always likes watching us practice." Taemin smiled.

"I got it!" Jonghyun ran into the room with Key behind him. "Why don't we sing her favorite song? We can decorate their practice room, and we'll sing there."

"But what would we sing?" I asked, probably a bit harshly, but Jonghyun or the others didn't notice.

"Her favorite song!" Minho chimed in.

"Isn't her favorite song One For Me?" Key asked.

"Exactly!" Jonghyun jumped in excitement. "She'll love it!"

 

//LINDI//

 

"What do you mean we're not singing This Time anymore?" MinYoung whined to EunMi Unnie just as she told us the news.

EunMi shrugged, "The Wonder Girls, turns out, are coming back to Korea early from their overseas promotions."

"So we aren't performing on the Special Stage anymore?" I pouted.

"We are!" Hana beamed.

"We are?" Young-Ju repeated.

"Neh," EunMi continued. "We'll be singing Anywhere With You, our first single."

"Omo, we haven't performed that song in such a long time." Young-Ju lamented. "We need to practice!"

I stood behind all the girls as they discussed our performance. I really needed to practice. If I mess up on this song of all songs, it would be the biggest embarrassment in all of Korean history. This is our song. It's the song that defines us as idols. This is the song that started it all. If I mess this up, I might as well have stuck to being a trainee.