Words hurts

All that I've left...

Junhyung’s POV

“What did you just say, panda?” I asked, massaging my temples.

“I adopted her. No, we adopted her.” He said with a wide smile.

“I DID NOT!! SEUNGHO HYUNG! I.. I DON’T WANT HER!” I yelled.

“Lower down! She’s going to hear you, damn it~” He smacked me arm hard.

“Let her hear it then. Whatever her name is, whatever her background is, NO! You want to take care of something, right? I’ll buy you a puppy, okay? You wanted a puppy, didn’t you?” I said.

“How can you compare her to a puppy!? And what is wrong with you?!” He snapped at me.

“What is wrong with me? What is wrong with YOU!?” I yelled.

“What!?” He shouted.

“I came back and this is the present you are giving me!?” I yelled.

“Yes! Whatever you say, Yong Junhyung. I have adopted her and I’ll take full responsibility of her. If you’re unhappy staying with her, you can leave.” He said.

“Wait. You’re asking me to leave, because of that brat?” I asked, surprised.

“Yes. You can leave. If you want to stay, you’ll have to accept her as well.” He said.

“I can’t believe this. I really can’t.” I mumbled, walking out of the room.

I opened the door to find that girl name Hana standing outside our door, looking down.

“Move out of the way!” I shoved her to the side.

She almost fell but Seungho caught her just in time.

“YOU CAN IGNORE HER BUT YOU CANNOT HURT HER!” He grabbed my collar, pushing me hard against the wall. My shoulders hurt from the impact.

“You have never respected me, have you?” I said, pushing myself out of his grip and stomped out of the house.

Seungho’s POV

“Junhyung!” I yelled, but instead the slamming of the front door greeted me.

I wiped off my tears and looked down at the small figure.

“Did he scare you?” I asked, going down to her level.

She kept quiet, backing away from me.

“I’m so sorry. I never expected him to react so violently. But trust me, he is a nice man, and he’ll love you.” I said, opening my arms, inviting her in for a hug.

Her small body sank into my embrace.

“Seungho appa~” She said softly.

“Love you.” I mumbled, kissing her softly on her cheek.

***

I pat Hana to sleep while looking at the time. It was 10PM already, but Junhyung isn’t back yet.

“Good night, princess.” I whispered softly into her ear as I tucked her in.

I waited until 12AM, my anxiousness increased by the minute.

Junhyung and I hardly argued. Whenever we did, we would settle it right at that moment, but this time, I could sense that it would not be that easy.

I admit I am selfish and did not think in Junhyung’s point of view when I signed the adoption form. But it wasn’t on impulse. I have always love children, but Junhyung.. He just did not get along with them, I don’t know why.

It is impossible for us to have children, so I thought if I adopted one, he would be able to unleash his fatherly figure, but instead, it unleashed his anger instead.

I sighed and picked up my phone, dialing his number.

The call got through, but there was no sound on the other side.

“Junhyung, I know you’re listening. Look, I take back what I said about you leaving, okay? I’m sorry. I was harsh. Please come back, and we’ll talk about it, please?” I pleaded.

“It’s either her or me.” He said.

“Junhyung, please!” I begged.

The call ended and then the front door opened.

“Where did you go!?” I ran towards the man, jumping into his embrace.

He was cold to touch. He did not even take his coat when he stomped out. He was dressed only in t-shirt and jeans in this chilling weather.

“You’re freezing, aren’t you?!” I said, rubbing his arms to warm him up.

He stared at me, expression unreadable.

“It’s her or me, Seungho hyung.” He said.

Ever since we got together, he calls me ‘seungpanda’ or ‘panda’. When he calls me hyung, I know it’s serious.

“Junhyung, I can’t just send her back, and even if I could, I wouldn’t. It’s not SPCA okay?” I said.

“We don’t have time for a kid, hyung!” He said.

“It’s not about time, right? You just don’t like kids. Tell me why then, and then I’ll consider.” I said.

“I just don’t like them!” He said.

“You were a kid yourself, Yong Junhyung.” I said.

“Yea, and I hated myself when I was a kid. I am so happy I grew up.” He said.

“Junhyung, please. You should have seen the look on her face when she knew we were going to adopt her.” I pleaded.

“You’ve already decided, haven’t you? Whether I am going to say, you’re not going to change your mind.” He said.

I looked down, not saying anything.

“Then I guess we have nothing to talk about.” He mumbled, walking towards our room.

“Where are you going!? What do you mean!?” I yelled after him.

“I’m sending her back to the orphanage or wherever you got her from the moment she offends me. I am serious and I will do it. I am very, very mean.” He pointed a warning finger at me as he got into bed.

“She’s an angel, trust me! Okay, my grumpy Joker, sleep well. Want a massage?” I asked, squeezing his shoulder.

He flinched and winced softly.

“Why? Is something wrong?” I asked, pulling down the back of his shirt slightly. I gasp when I saw a huge bruise on his shoulder.

“Is.. Is it.. me?” I asked.

“See the things you do to me for a stranger.” He mumbled, burying his face into the pillow.

“Sorry, baby. I am so sorry.” I said, rubbing the bruise lightly.

One year ago

“Hana ah~ Go and wake your Daddy up.” I said.

She shook her head.

It has been a year since Hana came to us, but Junhyung and her is still not getting along. She is trying, but Junhyung just keeps pushing her away, in a really rough manner. But he has grown to care for her, I can tell.

Whenever she gets teased about having no mother, although Junhyung doesn’t say anything, I could see him sending death glares to those bullies. Once when she fell sick, I found him creeping into her room in the middle of the night to check on her temperature.

He cares, he just doesn’t want to admit it.

“Alright, alright. I’ll go. Eat up.” I said, kissing her on her forehead.

“Junnie~” I shook him slightly.

“Mmm~” He mumbled in his sleep.

“Junnie, wake up. Remember, we’re going to the amusement park today.” I said.

“For what?” He slurred.

“It’s Hana’s birthday, remember?” I said, poking his arm.

“I don’t care.” He mumbled.

“Come on, we promised her.” I said.

“You promised her, not me.” He said.

“Get up!” I slapped his thigh.

He sat up almost instantly, with his hair all over the place.

“That’s my boy~” I smiled, straightening his hair.

“Now, go shower and then eat breakfast, okay? And be nice to her, it’s her birthday.” I said, kissing him on his lips.

Just as I was about to go out, I was pulled back.

“What do I get for being nice?” He asked, locking me with his legs.

“What do you want?” I asked, leaning against his chest, tracing circles on him arm.

“I don’t know, what can you give?” He asked.

“Be an angel, and you’ll know.” I nudged him on his chest and struggled out of his grip.

He got prepared and strolled out of the room. He sat beside Hana, glaring at her while Hana looked down at her pancakes. I think glaring at her was his way of greeting her since he has been doing that every morning since a year ago. But not on her birthday, for goodness sake! I kicked him under the table, sending him a hard glare.

He winced and pouted at me.

“Eat up, and we’ll go, okay?” I said, pushing food to him.

We spent the whole day at the amusement park. It was just Hana and I who were playing, while Junhyung just walked behind us, looking as bored as ever, on purpose. I caught him staring at some of the rides, but when I asked if he would like to go on it, he scoffed at me.

“Did you have fun today, Hana?” I asked as I drove us back home.

“Yes! Thank you, appa!” She exclaimed, unbuckling her seat belt and standing up.

“SIT BACK DOWN AND BUCKLE UP!” Junhyung snapped at her.

She sat back down quickly and buckled up, looking down.

I stared at Junhyung. He rolled his eyes at me and looked out of the window. I knew he cared because it was dangerous, but him yelling at her, I just cannot accept it.

“Hana ah, daddy didn’t mean to yell at you. He is concerned. It is dangerous to stand up like this, remember what I told you before?” I said, trying to comfort the girl.

She nodded, not saying anything, not even looking up at me.

When we got back, she ran to her room without saying a word.

“Yong Junhyung, I told you to be nice.” I said.

“I am nice! If I weren’t nice, I would have …” He looked away, not continuing.

“Would have what?” I asked, crossing my arms.

“Nothing. I’m tired.” He said, walking to the room.

I pulled him back.

“Would have what!?” I yelled.

“I would have smacked her, okay? Is this what you want to hear? Huh?” He said into my face.

“You’re unbelievable! You’re a monster! It has been a year yet you’re still.. still so.. rude!” I shouted.

“I told you, didn’t I? I hate children. I hate them. You should have expected this.” He said.

“Maybe you’re right. I shouldn’t have adopted Hana.” I said.

“You’re finally realizing it now?” He said.

“Yea. Because I have never expected you to be so evil. I thought you’ll change as the time pass. I thought you’ll show your fatherly side. But hell no. I feel so apologetic towards Hana. I adopted her in hope to give her a home. But because of you, it became hell.” I said.

He stared blankly at me, obviously shocked.

“You traumatized her for one full year. All I asked if for you to be nice to her for one day. One day out of three hundred and sixty five, yet you can’t even do it. You’re really, really, really mean. This place where the heart lies for normal people, yours is empty, I’m pretty sure.” I said, poking the left side of his chest.

I walked off, leaving him standing there like a piece of block. I went into Hana’s room to find her curled up into a ball, sobbing softly.

“Baby girl~” I called out, pulling her up so she could snuggle into my embrace.

“Appa~” She cried softly.

“Shhh shhh~ No one cries on their birthday.” I said, kissing her cheek lightly.

“Why.. Why does Daddy hate me so much?” She asked in between her sobs.

“He doesn’t hate you, Hana ah~ He just doesn’t know how to express his feelings well.” I said.

“He hates me. Appa, I am sorry.” She cried.

“Why are you sorry? Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault.” I said.

“Because of me… you and Daddy is always arguing.. I’m sorry.” She cried.

“No, it’s not your fault.” I repeated.

I cradled her in my embrace until she fell asleep. I put her down gently before wiping her tear stained face with a tissue.

“I am the one who should be sorry.” I whispered.

The door creaked opened, revealing Junhyung.

“If you’re going to say mean things, I suggest you keep them to yourself and just go to sleep. You can have the whole freaking room to yourself. I am sleeping here tonight.” I said.

He walked in and left a brown paper bag on Hana’s table.

“I am sorry.” He said, back facing me.

“You’re right. I am really mean. But hearing those words from your mouth, I don’t know. It just seems to hurt thrice as much.” He said.

“I’ll sleep in the living room, you can sleep in our room. Don’t sleep here, your back will ache.” He said before walking out.

When he left, I took a look at what was inside the paper bag. The brown teddy bear that Hana was staring at just now, but because she had bought a lot of stuff for the day, I said no to her.

After watching Hana sleep for a while, I headed outside. I went to the living room to find Junhyung curled up on the sofa, hugging himself.

“Why do you always sleep without a blanket?” I mumbled to myself as I headed towards him.

I squat down in front of him, touching his cheek lightly. They felt a bit sticky. Did he cry?

“I don’t mean what I said to you. I know you care for her. I know you love her. Sorry, Junhyung ah. I’m sorry.” I whispered into his ear.

He pouted slightly. I knew he wasn’t asleep.

“Move over, let’s sleep here tonight.” I said, pushing him lightly.

That night, we cuddled on the sofa and fell asleep in each other’s arms.