Epilogue

All that I've left...

Hana walked into the room, she briefly wiped away the stray drop of tear that fell despite her will to keep it in. ‘Be prepared’, that’s what the doctor told her, and that’s why she took him home.

She stood next to the bed, looking at the frail man who was asleep. His eyes opened slowly as she settled herself on the side of his bed.

“Sorry, Daddy. I am sorry. Please go back to sleep.” She hushed the man.

“Sleep? I can sleep all I want later on when I am dead.” Junhyung smiled, helping himself sit up.

“Daddy, don’t say that.” Hana pouted.

“Alright, alright. I wasn’t sleeping Hana ah. I was just closing my eyes while waiting for you to come.” Junhyung said, raising his cold, boney hand to caress his daughter’s cheek.

“How are you feeling today?” Hana asked.

“Better than ever.” Junhyung smiled.

“What’s that box?” He asked.

“Oh, this?” Hana smiled cheekily as she placed the box on her lap.

“This is everything.” She said as she laid out everything on empty part of the bed.

“Wah~” He gasped, looking at her.

Inside the box were everything Junhyung got her ever since she was young, from teddy bears to dolls to accessories, clothes, books, decorations and many, many more.

“You kept everything?” Junhyung asked, picking up a teddy bear.

“Of course.” Hana smiled.

“Remember what happened when you were nine?” Junhyung asked as he picked up an empty bubble bottle.

“Don’t talk about that.” Hana laughed.

“Of course we have to talk about it.” Junhyung said.

/Flashback

“Daddy, where is this place?” Hana asked, hiding behind Junhyung.

It has been a long time since Hana had her hair cut. Her fringe is blocking her vision and she is always rubbing her eyes. Junhyung took her to the hair shop Beast frequent to get her hair cut.

“You need to get a hair cut, Princess.” He said, ruffling her hair lightly.

“I don’t want to.” She pouted, running towards the door.

“Hana ah~” Junhyung sighed, going after her.

He knew something like that would happen.

“Junhyung sshi, the place is ready.” One of the girls told him.

“I’ll be there in a minute.” He smiled before turning back to Hana.

“Come on, Princess.” He said, tugging onto her small hand.

“Noooooo~” She whined, pulling her hand out of his, hugging herself tight.

“It’s just a hair cut. You’ll look very pretty after that!” He tried to coax her.

“No!!! It’s scary! No!!” She pouted.

“It’s not scary. You’re not going to even feel anything!” He tried again.

“No! It’s going to cut me and I am going to die!!!” She exaggerated.

‘Yang Seungho, it’s all your fault you always give in to her whenever she refuses to get her hair cut.’ Junhyung thought to himself.

It was always Seungho who gives Hana the haircut because she was afraid. But Junhyung does not know how. It’s nothing like making waffles.

“Be good, Princess. We’ll go for ice cream later on?” He sighed.

It wasn’t that Junhyung was being impatient. He was just tired. His work kept him awake for the past three nights, and when he thought he could finally rest, he saw Hana rubbing her eyes because of her hair.

“Daddy, please. No…” She pouted.

“Hana, Daddy is tired. Please, just listen to me for once. I promise you, it’s not going to hurt. Nothing is going to happen, you’re not going to die. Come, let me prove it to you.” He said, carrying her up.

He settled her on the chair before picking up a pair of scissors.

“See~” He said as he snipped off a bit of his hair.

“Seungho appa used to do it for you too, right? You didn’t die neither did it hurt. It’s the same.” He pleaded.

She nodded unwillingly, showing pity to her father’s tiredness.

“Thank you.” Junhyung smiled weakly.

He signaled for them to carry on while he sank into the soft couch, closing his eyes for the first time in three days.

“AHHH DADDY!!!!!” His daughter’s loud cries shocked him out of his almost deep sleep.

He turned to where the voice is coming from to find the girl pouting at him with teary eyes, with the hair stylists backed off a few meters, looking at Junhyung with the ‘I really have no idea what happened’ look.

Junhyung sighed as he forcefully pushed himself up from the really comfortable couch, dragging his tired body towards her.

“What is it, Princess?” He bended down to her level, asking her with the best patience he could force out of his tired self.

“I don’t want!” She cried, shaking her head frantically.

‘WHY!?’ He almost yelled, but suppressed it.

“Why, Princess?” He asked her patiently.

“It’s scary!” She cried.

His heart broke at the sight of her tears.

“But you need a haircut.” He said.

She did not say anything, except cry even more.

“Alright, alright. Stop crying.” He wiped her tears with his thumb.

He turned to the hair stylist with an awkward smile.

“I’m sorry for wasting your time.” He apologized.

“I guess… she… I don’t know. But anyway, how much is it? I’ll pay you anyway.” He said, taking out his wallet.

“It’s alright, Junhyung sshi. We didn’t even cut.” The stylist smiled.

“But it’s time wasted.” He said.

“No, it’s not.” The stylist insisted.

“Alright. Then, thank you. I guess I have to do it myself anyway.” He said, poking Hana’s cheek lightly.

“It’s never easy getting a child to get their hair cut.” The stylist said.

“It’s definitely more difficult on her then.” Junhyung said as he carried Hana up.

“Thank you for your time anyway.” Junhyung said.

“Bye bye!” Hana waved, smiling widely out of a sudden.

“Right, at least you still have manners.” Junhyung mumbled under his breath.

He bid goodbye to the people in the shop before heading out with Hana in his arms.

Once they were home, he let her do her stuff while he go dig for that pair of scissors Seungho always uses. He smiled to himself when he found it.

“Panda, you really, really have to bless me this time.” He mumbled to the scissors.

“HANA!!!” He yelled at the top of his voice despite their home not being very big after all.

“HANA, WHERE ARE YOU!?” He yelled, walking around the house.

He opened Hana’s room door to find her sitting on the bed, staring at him.

“Why didn’t you answer me when I called for you, Princess?” He asked.

Her eyes widened at the sight of the scissors in his hand.

“If you’re not going to let them do it, I’ll have to do it for you.” He said.

She shook her head.

“Hana, come on, please be nice to me. I know I am not good at it, scratch that, I’ve never done it before, but please, let me do it. I don’t want your fringe to be irritating your eyes so much.” He pleaded, stretching out his hand.

She reluctantly took his hand, letting him lead her to the toilet. He settled her on the side of the basin.

“Don’t move, alright?” He said, combing her hair.

He was about to snip when she shook her head again. His head fell backwards as he let out an audible sigh.

“Wait.” He said as he ran out of the toilet.

“Look what I’ve got here!” He said in forced excitement.

“BUBBLES!” She yelled.

“Yes, bubbles.” He smiled, blowing them, making her so excited as he filled the room with bubbles.

“Here, you do it.” He said, handing her the bottle of bubbles.

As she blew the bubbles, exciting herself, he took the chance of her distraction to snip parts of her long hair. He was scared he would cut her at first, but the more he cut, the more he got used to it. He could even cut her hair neatly with her moving about. And from that day onward, that bottle of bubble played an important part in getting Hana’s hair cut. It was like Junhyung’s savior.

/END OF FLASHBACK

“Till today, I don’t understand, why were you so afraid?” Junhyung asked.

“Honestly, Daddy, I wasn’t afraid.” Hana said, smiling shyly.

“What? You created such a fuss and after so many years you tell me that you actually weren’t afraid?” He asked, not angry, but more of surprised.

“I just wanted you to do it.” Hana admitted.

“You cheeky thing~” He laughed, raising his weak arm to poke her cheek.

Hana felt the pang in her heart as she watch her father having difficulties raising even his arm. The pair of arms that carried her, held onto her and embraced her.

“Is this still working?” Junhyung asked, pointing at the star projector.

“Of course. Shall we turn it on?” Hana asked excitedly.

Junhyung nodded, smiling at his daughter excitement despite her age.

/FLASHBACK

“Daddy, Daddy!” Hana burst into Junhyung’s room.

“Yes?” Junhyung asked, looking up from his laptop.

“Look at this!” She crawled onto his bed, opening her book, showing him pictures of the galaxy.

He got off his seat and went to join her on the bed.

“What is this?” He asked, taking a closer look.

She started telling him about the other planets as well as the Milky Way and such. He listened attentively despite the fact he knew everything.

“Hana likes the stars?” He asked.

“They are pretty, aren’t they? If only we can sleep under the blanket of stars. How nice would that be~” Hana said, flipping the pages while leaning against Junhyung.

“True. Stars are nice, and calming.” He said as he recalled the time he used to spend with Seungho star gazing.

“Daddy~” Hana called out.

“Hmm?” Junhyung smiled at his daughter.

“Have you and Appa watched the stars together before?” She asked.

“Yes, we did.” He smiled, pinching her nose lightly.

“So nice.” She pouted.

“I can only look at the books.” She frowned.

“Why? Hana wants to see the stars too?” He asked.

She nodded.

Junhyung stretched his arms as he took a look at the time. 11.30PM.

“Come, let’s go.” He said.

“Huh? Go? Where?” Hana asked.

“Didn’t my Princess say she wants to see the stars?” Junhyung smiled as he grabbed his coat.

“Are you serious!? Daddy are we really going!?” Hana jumped up.

“When has Daddy lied?” He asked, letting his daughter climb onto his back.

He drove up to the hill where Seungho and him used to frequent. He turned to the passenger seat to find his daughter asleep already.

“I thought you want to see the stars?” He mumbled to himself.

“Hana ah~” He called out, patting her cheek lightly.

“Hana~~” He called out again.

She opened her eyes slowly, looking at him with a small pout.

“We’re here.” He said with a smile.

“Daddy, carry~” She stretched out her arms.

“I knew it~” He laughed as he got out of the car and went to her side.

He held her in his arms as he walked up the hill. It was tiring having to climb up the endless flight of stairs, and it was twice as tiring having to carry her in his arms as he walked, but he enjoyed carrying her, for some reason.

When they finally reached the peak, he let her down as he panted to catch his breath.

“Hehe~” Hana chuckled, looking at him.

“What?” He asked, wiping off the perspiration on his forehead.

“Daddy, you have a terrible stamina.” She .

“Oh my gosh. I carried you all the way up here! Am I not even allowed to pant?” He asked, but couldn’t hold back his laughter.

She shrugged her shoulders, pulling him to sit down.

“You’re a big bully.” He commented, pinching her cheek lightly.

“Well, you like it, don’t you?” She said, winking at him.

He had to admit, he loved it.

“Yea, yea. Whatever.” He said, pulling her closer to him.

“Look~” He pointed up to the sky.

“WAH!!!” She exclaimed.

“It’s pretty huh?” He said, admiring the night sky as well.

“I WISH I COULD BRING THEM ALL HOME!!!” She yelled.

Junhyung laughed at that statement. Seungho used to say it too.

That night, the father and daughter admired the night sky, falling asleep on the hilltop.

Even after a few days, Hana was still excited about the stars. Junhyung didn’t think it was a bad thing, until his daughter made a weird suggestion.

“Daddy! Let’s paint my room black!” She said.

“Black!?” He shouted, choking on his Coke.

“Yea! Black! Then we can paint little silver dots to make them look like stars!” She said.

“It doesn’t work this way, Princess. And no painting of your room black, just imagine how hot and odd would it be.” He said.

She pouted.

“But I want it black! I want to paint the stars!” She insisted.

“Hana, don’t be ridiculous, come on.” He said, laughing.

“It’s not funny!” She stomped her foot.

She stomped back to her room, leaving Junhyung shaking his head and wishing that Seungho were with him to face all these.

For the next few days, Hana ignored him.

“Hana, come on, when have I not given what you ask for? You have to be reasonable.” He said, regretting slightly at how much he spoilt her.

She stared at him, shoving the spoonful of rice into .

“I just want stars in my room! It’s not like I am asking for drugs!” She talked back.

He raised his hands in defeat, retreating to his room without even having dinner. He left early the next day for a work trip with Beast. He left a note on the fridge.

‘Don’t be angry, Princess. We’ll work things out, okay? Daddy loves you. See you in three days.’

“What are you looking at?” Doojoon asked Junhyung.

Junhyung has been on his laptop for hours, but it was not work.

“Something.” Junhyung said.

“That’s vague.” Doojoon replied, sitting beside Junhyung.

“It’s Hana. She wants to paint her room black and dot silver paint to make it look like stars.” Junhyung said.

“BLACK!? HAHAHAHA!” Doojoon laughed.

“You’re not helping.” Junhyung glared.

“You spoil her too much.” Doojoon said.

“You mean I rather be mean?” Junhyung asked.

“No, but discipline is required.” Doojoon said.

“Hana is a good girl. Yes, I know I’ve spoilt her a tad bit too much, but what can I do? I mean, firstly I was mean to her, then she lost Seungho, and now I am always away. The least I can do is to fulfill her wishes, no? Come on, help me look for something in replacement!” He said, slapping Doojoon’s arm.

“HANA~” Junhyung called out the moment he opened the door to his home.

Hana was at the sofa. She almost ran to hug him but stopped herself and instead flashed him a glare.

“My Princess is still angry?” He said, walking towards her.

“Let me show you something. I bet you’ll be kissing me later.” He smiled, tugging onto her hand.

He let her to her room and took out the box from the paper bag.

“You want to close your eyes?” He said.

“For what?” She asked.

“For maximum surprise.” He smiled.

Hana closed her eyes while Junhyung busied himself with whatever he bought.

“Done. Open your eyes.” He smiled.

Hana opened her eyes and gasped. The entire room was illuminated with stars.

“OH MY GOD! DADDY!!” She jumped into his arms.

“I told you you’ll be kissing me~” He laughed.

“So now, we don’t have to paint your room black anymore?” He asked.

She nodded, admiring her room.

‘Thank God.’ Junhyung thought to himself.

Luckily for him, he found this DIY star projector in one of the stores while on his trip. He doesn’t know how it works, but he studied it before coming home.

Hana that star projector every night. Junhyung fulfilled her wish to sleep under the stars. But it sure wasn’t easy pleasing that twelve years old.

/END OF FLASHBACK

“It’s pretty, isn’t it?” Hana asked, admiring the lighted up room.

“I can’t believe it still works.” Junhyung said, looking up at the ceiling.

“I’ll never let it spoil.” Hana said, leaning against her Daddy.

“You mean, you’ll always bring it to me when it’s spoil?” Junhyung said.

“Hee~” Hana could only chuckle.

“But Daddy might not be able to help you mend it anymore.” Junhyung said.

“Don’t say that.” Hana mumbled.

“Princess~” Junhyung said softly.

“Just don’t say that.” Hana pouted, looking away.

“Alright, alright.” Junhyung smiled, squeezing Hana’s hand lightly.

“Daddy, sorry for the times I broke your heart.” Hana said.

“All children are bound to break their parents’ hearts, but that’s part of growing up. And, parents can never stay angry with their kid, not even more a minute.” Junhyung smiled.

/FLASHBACK

Junhyung called Hana’s phone for the nth time that night. He was getting worried. It was 3AM and Hana hadn’t come home. He had no curfew for the girl but he did not expect her to stay out so late.

The door clicked opened, revealing Hana dressed in skimpy clothes, cheeks flushed as she stumbled into the house.

“Hana.” Junhyung called out.

“Oh, hi Daddy~” Hana smiled.

“Hana, I have been calling you.” Junhyung said patiently.

He knew how sixteen year olds are like. He knew it was the rebellious stage and he had his share of rebellious too, therefore he was in no position to yell at her. But now, he finally understood how his parents felt at that time.

“Oh, my phone was out of battery.” Hana said.

“You could have called me earlier, at least. Do you know how worried I was?” Junhyung asked.

“And what the hell are you wearing? Is that even considered clothes?” He frowned.

“Come on, Dad. Don’t be old fashioned.” Hana rolled her eyes, making her way to the room.

“I am not done talking with you.” Junhyung said, taking extra measures to control his temper.

“But I am done talking to you!” Hana yelled.

“What did you say?” Junhyung asked, clenching his fists tight.

“I am done talking to you, Daddy! Stop controlling me!” Hana yelled.

“When have I controlled you!? If I had, you wouldn’t be like this! Just look at the time now! It’s 3AM! What sort of girl comes home at 3AM!? And what have you been doing outside!? Drinking!? Is that even legal!? I have given you too much freedom! It is my fault you’re behaving like this today!” Junhyung shouted.

“At least I am not taking drugs like other people!” Hana yelled back.

“Do not compare yourself with others! If you’re dying to compare, compare to those who at least let their parents know their whereabouts! I have been calling you since forever, Hana!” Junhyung yelled.

“I am not a kid anymore!” Hana shouted.

“Oh, really?” Junhyung said with a hint of mockery in his voice.

“Yes! Just stop bothering me! You’re always on trips! So why are you caring now!?” Hana shouted, stomping out of the house.

“WHERE ARE YOU GOING!?” Junhyung yelled.

“IT’S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!” Hana yelled, running off.

Junhyung ran around the estate looking for his daughter. He cursed himself for shouting at her.

“Just where the hell are you?” He buried his face in his palms, leaning against the wall.

It was close to morning, but he still couldn’t find Hana.

“Hello? Junnie?” Yoseob answered the call.

“Seob… Help~” Junhyung let out a helpless cry.

“Junnie! What’s wrong!?” Yoseob shouted.

“Hana. I lost Hana.” Junhyung said.

“You lost Hana? What do you mean, hyung!?” Yoseob yelled.

“I yelled at her. We had an argument last night and she ran off. I looked everywhere for her, but I just couldn’t find her! Seob, what should I do?” Junhyung cried.

“Don’t cry, hyung. Where are you? I’ll wake the others, we’ll look for her together, okay? We’ll find her, do you understand? But now, you go home. We’ll meet you at your house.” Yoseob said, trying to calm the older one down.

“Yes. Okay.” Junhyung mumbled as he headed home.

The other Beast members arrived at his home shortly after. They were shocked at how one night can shag the rapper so much.

“Junnie, you need to sleep.” Hyunseung said.

“I can’t sleep. How can I sleep?” Junhyung said, pacing up and down.

“Have you called her friends?” Doojoon asked.

“Friends? I… I don’t know any of her friends! Oh my god, if Seungho was around, none of this would have happened!” Junhyung cried.

“No, no! You’re doing very well! Don’t blame yourself any further!” Doojoon hugged the rapper tight.

They know asking Junhyung to sleep at home would be impossible, so they went out to look for Hana together. Each of them calling her phone as they ran through the streets.

“Hello?” Hana finally answered, sounding as thou she just woke up. It wasn’t Junhyung’s call she picked up, but Dongwoon’s.

“Hana!? It’s Dongwoon ahjusshi! Hana, where in the world are you!?” Dongwoon yelled.

Hana kept quiet.

“Hana! Answer me! Your Daddy is worried sick!” Dongwoon yelled.

“I am at a friend’s place. What do you want?” Hana asked in a frustrated voice.

“I want you to come home now!” Dongwoon shouted.

Junhyung snatched the phone from Dongwoon.

“Hana? Hana!? Hana, where are you? Just come home and we’ll talk huh? Hana, please!” Junhyung begged.

“Hyung! You need to stop spoiling her!” Dongwoon snatched his phone back.

“Hana, this is a warning. Come home, now.” Dongwoon said in a serious tone.

“Yes.” Hana mumbled, hanging up the call.

The Beast boys waited patiently at Junhyung’s home for Hana’s return. The moment the door open, all of them stood up.

Hana looked at them, waiting for a scolding.

“Hey, Princess. Have you eaten? Want some waffles?” Junhyung asked, heading to the kitchen.

“Daddy…” Hana mumbled.

“Yes, Princess?” Junhyung smiled.

Fatigue was written all over Junhyung’s face.

“Daddy, I am sorry.” Hana cried, hugging Junhyung tight.

“It’s alright. As long as you’re safe, everything is alright.” Junhyung rubbed circles onto her back.

“Daddy I didn’t mean to say those mean words to you last night. I am sorry.” She cried.

“I understand. It’s okay. Shh, stop crying. Everyone’s looking at you.” Junhyung poked her cheek.

/END OF FLASHBACK

Hana looked at Junhyung. His eyes were closing slightly. Hana knew what was going to happen, but she did not want Junhyung gone so soon.

“Daddy, Daddy.” Hana shook Junhyung lightly.

“Hmm?” Junhyung opened his tired eyes, looking at Hana.

“Remember when I was eighteen?” She said.

Junhyung nodded.

“How could I ever forget?” He said, lips curling into a smile.

/FLASHBACK

“Daddy!” Hana called out as she entered home.

Junhyung stepped out of his room, smiling at his daughter. His smile dropped when he saw another figure behind her.

“Daddy, this is Tae Yong, my boyfriend.” Hana smiled.

“Boy…friend?” Junhyung said, eyeing the boy.

He bowed to him, greeting him politely.

Junhyung did not like how he looks like. He looked exactly like a punk, but he somehow heard Seungho’s voice, asking him to keep his comments to himself.

“So, is your friend staying for dinner?” Junhyung asked.

“Can he?” Hana asked.

“Why not? Anything for my Princess.” Junhyung smiled.

Throughout dinner, Junhyung was eyeing the boy. He didn’t like the fact he was so touchy towards Hana even in front of him. He could tell that Hana did not exactly like it too. He swallowed back his comments because he just wanted Hana to be happy, nothing else matters.

The boy came over to their house frequently. They were always inside Hana’s room. Junhyung knew how to stay out of their way despite being worried they may do weird stuff. He kept himself busy in his own room to distract himself from those thoughts.

“Yea, I am at her place.” He overheard the boy say. He was going to the toilet but it was occupied. He was about to walk off when he heard the boy talk.

“Yes, Yong Junhyung. I know, that rapper from that old group. Ya, that gay.” He said.

Junhyung clenched his fists. What the boy said was right, but no doubt, hurting.

“Of course I am disgusted! But well, in future, I would be marrying Hana, not him. I hope he doesn’t fall for me or something hahahaha!” The boy continued.

It has been years since Junhyung heard such insults.

“Don’t mind the boy.” Junhyung told himself.

He wiped off the tears that fell, turning back to retreat to his room.

He froze when he saw Hana standing behind him, fists clenched, tears staining her cheeks.

“Hana…” Junhyung called.

“That bastard…” Hana mumbled.

“OPEN UP!!!!” Hana banged onto the toilet door.

“Hana, stop it.” Junhyung grabbed onto her hands.

“OPEN THE DAMN DOOR YOU BASTARD!!!” Hana kicked the door hard.

“What is it, babe?” The boy asked, looking surprised.

Hana pulled her hands out of Junhyung’s grip, giving the boy a hard smack across his cheek.

“How dare you insult my Daddy and my Appa!? How dare you say such things!? Disgusting? You called my Daddy disgusting!? Look into the freaking mirror! Use ours if you don’t have one at home! Take a look at who is the disgusting one!” Hana shouted.

“Babe, you’re yelling at me over this?” The boy said, as thou it wasn’t anything big.

“That’s it. We’re over. Get out.” Hana said.

“So you want a break up? For a freak like him?” The boy pointed at Junhyung.

Junhyung’s face darkened, lucky for the boy, the years of controlling made not punching him in his face much easier for Junhyung.

“I don’t understand. How is it that you can stand two men as your parents and think it is okay? While others call Umma and Appa, you call Daddy and Appa, isn’t it weird? Well, at least one died, so you only had to call one of them Daddy.” The boy said brainlessly.

“I beg your pardon?” Junhyung said, stepping forward.

He could take insults on himself, but never any insults on Hana, or worse still, Seungho.

“What did you just say? At least one what?” He asked.

“Both of them are my Daddy and Appa, however I want to call them. It is absolutely none of your freaking business. And don’t you dare call them a freak. Their love is the greatest love I’ve ever since! At least one died? Both are alive to me! Seungho Appa is alive! Junhyung Daddy is alive too! The one dead, is YOU!” Hana yelled, literally kicking the boy out of their house.

She slammed the door shut, huffing in anger. She turned to Junhyung who was staring at his feet.

“Daddy, I am sorry.” She apologized.

“Why apologize? It’s not your fault.” He smiled.

“I never expected him to be such an .” She pouted.

“Well, thanks to s like him, I witness my daughter standing up for me for the second time.” Junhyung said.

“Daddy, I’ll stand up for you anytime!” Hana said, hugging Junhyung tight.

“You’re not a freak! Just because you and Seungho appa are not how normal couples should be doesn’t make you two a freak. Love has no boundaries. You love Seungho appa and Seungho appa loves you, and both of you love Hana. It makes us a normal family regardless of what others say. Daddy, just remember, to Hana, we’re normal, and that’s all you have to care about.” Hana said.

Junhyung let out a chuckle.

“Silly girl, Daddy gets it, of course. I mean, of course it is hurting to hear such words. I cannot say I am totally used to it, but I guess throughout the years I have learned to block out things that aren’t beneficial to me. And, it doesn’t matter what other people say about me, as long as in your heart, my impression doesn’t change.” Junhyung said.

“Daddy, you’re the best Daddy that I could ever ask for.” Hana said.

/END OF FLASHBACK

“You’re still wearing this?” Junhyung asked as he reached for the pendant at Hana’s neck.

“Of course. You gave it to me.” She smiled, looking at the heart shape pendant,

“For your birthday, right?” He said, admiring the pendant.

“My 21st birthday, to be exact.” She smiled.

/FLASHBACK

“Daddy, I am here already.” Hana said over the phone.

“Alright, just sit down somewhere and wait for me. I am coming.” Junhyung said as he ended the call.

He had asked Hana to meet him in one of the auditoriums in CUBE because they were working backstage so they could go off to celebrate her birthday together.

Hana sat down, looking around the empty auditorium. She sighed as she looked at her watch. It has been fifteen minutes, but Junhyung was still nowhere in sight. Sitting alone in such a huge, empty area isn’t exactly her favourite thing.

The lights suddenly went out, shocking Hana, causing her to scream.

“DADDY!!!!” She cried out.

“Here~” A familiar voice said.

The lights on the stage lighted up, revealing Junhyung standing in the middle, the lights on him.

“Happy birthday, Princess.” Junhyung smiled.

“What is this, Daddy!?” Hana yelled, running down the stairs.

“Eh, eh. Just sit somewhere in the middle. Not too close.” He said.

“Why?” She asked, but sitting down still.

“You’ll know.” He smiled.

The lights went out again and when it came back on, all six members of Beast were on stage. They danced and sang, giving her a solo two-hour concert. Nearing the end, they even pulled her up stage to dance with them.

“Happy birthday, Princess.” Junhyung smiled.

“Thank you, Daddy.” Hana said, kissing Junhyung on his cheek.

“We performed too, don’t we get a kiss?” Doojoon asked.

Junhyung smacked Doojoon in his ribs.

“Kidding alright! Protective Daddy~ A hug is okay, right?” Doojoon asked.

The boys took turns to hug Hana while handing her their present for her.

“Go and have fun with your friends. I know you have plans.” Junhyung smiled, handing her a stack of cash.

“Woah~” The boys gasped, so did Hana.

“It’s alright, Daddy.” Hana said, pushing the money back to Junhyung.

“It’s Daddy’s treat for his daughter. Don’t you dare refuse.” He said.

“Daddy, why not we all go together?” She said.

“Go together?” He asked.

“Yea, me, my friends and all of you.” She said.

The six of them burst into laughter.

“Come on, Hana! Who wants six ahjusshis at a party!?” Kikwang laughed.

“You all are not!” Hana pouted.

“Go on and have fun. Just perhaps, come home before 12AM, so at least Daddy can sing you a birthday song.” Junhyung said.

“Then what are you going to eat?” She pouted.

“Don’t you worry about us! We are old enough to take care of our stomachs. We’ll go eat samgyupsal or something.” Yoseob said.

“Alright then. Daddy, not too oily huh.” Hana said.

“Yes, yes.” Junhyung smiled.

“Oh gosh, hyung. You make me want to have a daughter too.” Dongwoon said.

“Go and get married then.” Junhyung smiled.

He kissed Hana goodbye before leaving with the others.

After dinner, he headed home to wait for Hana. While waiting, he baked her a cake because he was unwilling to risk buying from outside. He did not want history to repeat itself again. Throughout the years of practice, there really isn’t anything Junhyung cannot cook now.

He kept looking at the clock, wondering to himself why Hana was still not back.

“Seungpanda, I guess I shouldn’t hold too much hope huh? Who bothers about the time when they are playing, right?” He said to himself.

He worked on his laptop, trying very hard not to look at the time, but failed miserably.

10.45PM. 11PM. 11.13PM. 11.27.PM. 11.40PM.

Hana was still not back and Junhyung was getting sleepy.

He scribbled a note and stuck it onto the present he got her. He left the present beside the cake. He went to the toilet to wash up and prepare for sleep. Just as he was about to close his eyes, the front door clicked open.

“DADDY!” Hana yelled.

He looked at the time. It was 11.52.PM.

“Daddy!” Hana burst into his room.

“Hi.” Junhyung smiled.

“You’re going to bed already!?” She asked, obviously unhappy.

“I thought you wouldn’t be back so soon.” He said.

“You said to be back before 12AM, didn’t you? You said you want to sing me a birthday song.” She pouted.

“We can still do it now. Hurry!” He jumped out of bed, pulling her into the kitchen.

He searched for candles and quickly lighted them up. He looked at the time. He had three minutes before the end of her birthday. He sped up the birthday song, causing Hana to laugh like crazy.

“Make a wish and blow the candle!” He hurried her.

“One minute!!” He yelled.

“Okay, okay!” She blew the candles out.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PRINCESS!” He clapped, kissing her on her cheek before handing her the present.

She opened it and smiled. It was a necklace with a heart shape pendant. She turned to the back and read the words engraved behind; May you always be loved, Princess.

“Like it?” Junhyung asked.

Hana nodded.

“I would always be love. By you.” She smiled.

“Of course. Daddy will always love you.” He put on the necklace for her.

/END OF FLASHBACK

“Hana ah, I am tired.” Junhyung said, smiling weakly at his daughter.

“Daddy, Daddy! No, no! Don’t sleep yet, please!” Hana begged. She knew that once Junhyung sleeps, it would be forever.

“Daddy! Talk to me! Remember the day I got married? Huh?” She said, letting her tears flow freely.

“Of course I remember. That was the happiest day of my life. Seeing you dressed in that gown, and handing your hand to the man I knew would love you forever. It was just pure bliss. If only your appa was here to see it.” Junhyung said.

“Speaking of which, where is he? And the two brats?” Junhyung asked.

“They are on their way! Daddy! Wait for them huh~ Please, Daddy!” Hana cried.

“Hana ah, Daddy lived long enough. Death is a natural phase in life. We all have to go through it some day. Just that, my time is now.” He said.

“No, no! It’s not~” Hana cried louder.

“Princess, Daddy is blessed enough to have you, and to see you grow up so gracefully, married a good man and have your own family. It’s enough. Daddy misses your Appa. It’s time I go to him now.” Junhyung said, patting Hana’s back lightly.

“No, no, no!” Hana cried.

“Shhh… Don’t cry~” Junhyung coaxed her.

“You know what other days were the happiest in my life?” He asked.

“What?” She asked, looking at him.

“When I met your Seungho Appa, when you told me you were getting married, when you told me you were pregnant, and… everyday I spent with you, it was the happiest day of my life.” Junhyung said.

“Thank you so much for bringing me so much joy, Princess. I don’t know how would I have coped if not because of you.” He said.

Just as Hana was about to say something, the door burst open, revealing his son-in-law as well as his two grandchildren.

“Haraboji!” The girl pouted, crawling to lie beside Junhyung.

“Hey my dear girl. Nice to see you. You’ve grown huh?” Junhyung smiled.

“Haraboji, annyeonghasaeyo.” The boy greeted.

The boy was three years older than the girl. Although quieter, Junhyung could see his affection inside, whereas the girl shows everything, and has the same aegyo ability as her mother.

“Hello Appa. How are you feeling?” His son-in-law asked.

“Better than ever.” Junhyung smiled.

His son-in-law was not some rich guy from a prestigious family. He was just a normal man with job as a manager in some departmental store. He wasn’t as good-looking as Junhyung neither was he as talented or as rich, but one thing for sure, he loved Hana as much as Junhyung did.

Junhyung liked him instantly, unlike that punk. He knew instantly that he was the right one for his girl. When Junhyung asked him if he knew about him and Seungho, he replied yes with no disgust or anything, which pretty much shocked Junhyung.

“You. Come here~” Junhyung gestured to his son-in-law.

“Yes, Appa?” He asked, grabbing onto Junhyung’s boney hand.

“I trust you to love Hana, that is why I handed her hand to you that day.” He said.

“And, I am sorry for not being normal enough as your father-in-law. But I really like you. I mean, for Hana.” Junhyung said.

“Appa, don’t say that. There’re no such thing as normal enough or what. There’s no such thing as normal actually. We’re all weird in our own way. That makes us the same.” He said.

Junhyung let out a small smile.

“Would someone go get me Coke?” Junhyung asked.

“Daddy!” Hana frowned.

“Please~” Junhyung pleaded.

“I’ll go.” His grandson mumbled, stepping out of the room.

The boy came back shortly with a can of Coke. He opened it and poured it into the cup. Junhyung took the cup from him with shaky hands, grinning like a fool at the cup of brown thing.

“Daddy, some things just doesn’t change, doesn’t it?” Hana laughed at her father’s never dying addiction for Coke.

“Of course. After so many years, the taste of this remains the same.” Junhyung smiled, taking a sip of the sweet drink.

“It’s a wonder you did not get diabetes after so many years.” Hana blabbered out.

“Orh hor! Cursing your Daddy now hmm?” Junhyung frowned playfully.

“No no. I wouldn’t dare.” Hana smiled, wiping off the bit of Coke on the corner of Junhyung’s lips.

“It must be your Appa watching over me, that’s why I can drink as much Coke as I want and still remain healthy.” He said.

“Haraboji!” The girl called out.

“Yes?” Junhyung asked, turning to face the girl.

“Is Seungho haraboji handsome?” She asked.

“Handsome is not the correct word to use describe him, my dear.” He said.

“Then what?” She asked, snuggling into his arms.

“He is… I don’t know… There are no words to describe him. The closest I can get is perfect. Your Seungho haraboji is a perfect man.” He said.

“Were you all very in love?” She asked.

“You bet we were.” He said.

“Then when he passed away… Were you devastated?” She asked.

“Of course. Ask your Umma. But then… I learn to keep him here.” He said, poking her chest, where the heart lies.

“Here?” She asked, touching her chest.

“He is never gone, my dear. He lives in my heart, in your Umma’s heart, and maybe even yours.” He said.

“Oh. Hi, Seungpanda.~” Junhyung suddenly smiled to an empty part of the wall.

“Daddy, what are you saying?” Hana frowned.

“It’s your Seungho Appa. I see him. As perfect as ever.” Junhyung smiled.

“Daddy! Don’t scare me like this! Please!” Hana cried, hugging Junhyung tight.

“Hana, remember what I just said? Here. I’ll always be here.” Junhyung poked her left chest lightly.

He coughed a little.

“Daddy, no!” Hana hugged him.

“Daddy, I am not letting you go!” She cried.

“Hana, I am glad you grew up well despite the fact I am always not around.” Junhyung said.

“Daddy please! Wait! I have something to show you!” She said, ing the first two buttons of her blouse.

At the same place where Junhyung has his tattoo, Hana has hers too. In the same font, it wrote ‘Born again your daughter’.

“I thought I said no to the tattoo?” Junhyung asked weakly.

“I am sorry I went against you. I wanted physical evidence to prove my love for you, Daddy!” She cried.

“There was never any need of evidence, silly girl. I know. I can feel. You love me, and I love you too, very, very much.” He said.

“Daddy, promise me, if you meet God or something like that, tell him that I want you and Seungho Appa as my parents again!” Hana cried.

“Hahaha~ Silly girl. Shouldn’t you ask for a normal family?” He asked.

“You’re normal! Seungho appa is normal! We’re a normal family! You’re the best Daddy I could ever ask for! Seungho appa is the best appa I could ever ask for! This is the best family I could ever ask for! Be it another ten thousand times, I want to be your daughter! I want to be in this family!” Hana cried onto Junhyung’s chest.

“Let me tell you a secret.” Junhyung said, gesturing Hana to come closer.

He whispered something into Hana’s ears. He smiled at her wide eyes.

“Bye Hana. Daddy loves you, always and forever.” Junhyung said weakly.

He smiled at everyone else behind before closing his eyes slowly. With a smile on his face, he left to join Seungho.

“Daddy…” Hana whispered, shaking the lifeless body lightly.

“Daddy…” She called out again, but there was no response.

“Daddy, I love you.” Hana said, tears flowing down her cheeks as she pressed a light kiss onto Junhyung’s forehead.

“Seungho appa, take good care of Daddy, and wait for me to join you all. We’ll reunite as a family soon.” She whispered.

The headlines the next day was ‘Korean band Beast’s rapper Yong Junhyung, 73, passed away peacefully with his family beside him last night. He is the last member of then famous Korean band to pass on. He is survived by his daughter, his son-in-law as well as two grandchildren.’

“Hana, you okay?” Her husband asked.

“I am fine.” She smiled, kissing him on his lips.

She stood at the corner, staring at her father’s photo at the funeral. His last words to her kept recurring in her head.

‘Hana ah, the truth is, I never hated you. The first time I saw you, I almost jumped onto you to hug you tight. I loved you from the very moment I saw you. But something stopped me. It’s pride. I was held back because of my pride. I lost those precious times with you and Seungho as a family because of my pride. I am sorry, Hana ah. It’s too late now, I cannot bring back those times, but if I could, trust me, I would give up anything for it. Hana ah, you still have the time. I know you’re someone who doesn’t show affection to just anyone. But Hana, don’t regret anything. Don’t let pride take over you.’

***

“So, was I a good Daddy?” Junhyung asked.

“Well… Erm…. Not bad~” Seungho said.

“Pardon!? Not bad!? Wah~~” Junhyung rubbed his forehead.

“You’re not good, Junhyung ah.” Seungho said, grabbing Junhyung by his waist.

Junhyung looked at Seungho with the ‘what!?’ look.

“You’re the best.” He whispered into the younger male’s ear.

“Hehe… But I could have been better.” Junhyung said, snuggling his face into Seungho’s neck.

“Don’t be so hard on yourself, Junnie. You did a great job. Thank you.” Seungho said.

“Don’t say thank you. She’s our responsibility, no?” Junhyung smiled.

“Don’t be so full of yourself yet. I mean, you did a great job. Thank you. BUT! I am still the perfect one.” Seungho giggled.

His giggles were music to Junhyung’s ears. How much he missed it~

“I don’t know if you’re a perfect appa or not, because that is up to Hana to judge. But I know, you’re the perfect one for me, and hell, I miss you so damn much.” Junhyung said, crashing his lips against the older male.

“I MMFFMMPPMM” Seungho tried to speak.

“What?” Junhyung asked, pulling away, chuckling at Seungho’s failed attempt.

“I said, I miss you too.” Seungho said.

He cupped Junhyung’s cheeks as he lean in to kiss the younger male.

“We’re finally back in each other’s arms.” Junhyung said.

“I told you, patience is a virtue, and you did it.” Seungho smiled.

Junhyung was about to say something when Seungho pressed his fingers against the rapper’s lips.

“Unless you want to rap, don’t speak.” He said firmly.

The rapper looked at him with a confused look.

“Just kiss.” Seungho smiled.

They shared a kiss full of nothing but love, this kiss that they had waited for over forty years.

- 끝 -

***

diyromanticstarprojecto.jpg
 
axpic03.jpg
Here, the star projector. Don't you want it in your room too!?
 
***
Weirdest ending ever hahahahaha! Junyung and Seungho are both dead at the end yea, but still very loving. Actually, all of them are. Junhyung is the last member to pass on, remember? I know 73 is not an old age to die, but I honestly don't think that anyone of this era would live till like 99 or something, including myself. And also, I had to match Hana's age so yea.. Anyway! It's just story! So don't get affected.