The Waltz

Yes...Ma'am

" We are having a military ball, Saturday. You must all dress formally and of course...bring a date." Commander Lee was finally back in action. It had been a total of three weeks of vacation for all the soldiers, not one had even bothered to wonder why their beloved Commander was not present. Of course, their paradise had to be ruined at some point.

At the sound of a ball, the men's eyes lit up. A ball? Hot chicks? Oh hell yeah, I'm down! That's probably what they were all thinking, but in the back of Donghae's mind, he was not interested in any ball. He was too focused on how dull the glint in Lee's eyes had become. They were gray and lifeless.

I hate myself.

Donghae had probably repeated that phrase about 600 times throughout his whole break. He felt like such a jerk. He felt like his insides were just twisted in this undeniably-impossible-to-break knot.

" Since we are having a ball, everyone is required to waltz. Does anyone here know how to waltz, by chance?" As Lee said this she expected maybe a couple of hands to pop up or at least one since they were gentleman, but to her avail not a single one had volunteered.

Soonkyu rolled her eyes and let out an airy breath of annoyance. " Alright since no one here knows how to waltz, like i'm not surprised, I am required to teach you all. So everyone, grab a partner!".

The men looked at each other awkwardly and reluctantly the room was filled with echoing footsteps of every guy running to his mate, chattering about how embarassing this would be. The footsteps stopped, and soon there was only one man standing alone, by himself, in the center of the auditorium.

" Donghae?" The men were surprised, Commander's voice had changed so dramatically as she had called his name. She actually sounded like an innocent young woman for once.

Donghae was so caught up in his thoughts he hadn't realized what was going on. He looked around and saw the guys in pairs. He confusingly turned to the woman standing in front of him. " Yes?".

Soonkyu cocked her head to the side and looked up at him. " You don't have a partner?".

For a moment, Donghae was lost in her bunny-like eyes, but quickly shook the thought out of his head before answering. " U-uh, I guess so.".

Lee smiled gently and shook her head amusingly. " Ok, since you don't have a partner, I'll be yours.".

Donghae's eyes widened at the thought of having to hold his Commander so close. He had never touched anyone besides his mom and his aunts before, how was he supposed to touch her? It's not like he never liked girls, he was just too shy. He was never able to take a step further in his relstionships, which usually resulted in the girls breaking up with him in frustration.

Donghae still nodded and took a step closer to her, while Lee looked to her side and gestured to all the men surrounding them. " Now to start the dance both partners intertwine their hands like so," Soonkyu grabbed Donghae's hand, " And make sure your thumb is wrapped around his.".

The other guys awkwardly held hands, their bodies stiff with embarassment. At this moment, they were actually jealous of Donghae.

Soonkyu did the unexpected and grabbed Donghae's other hand, bringing it her waist while she put hers on his shoulder. " And make sure your hand is just below the armpit, but just above the waistline. Your partner should have their left hand on your shoulder. Backs straight.".

Donghae couldn't meet her eyes. He was sweating loads. He was not use to this much skinship and the way she seemed to be so calm with their current position intrigued him.

" Now sway from side to side," Lee rocked the two of them gently, " And then twirl." She then brought her arm up, and Donghae instinctively twirled her around before she faced him once more.

Each man did it over and over again until the redness of their cheeks became permanent. Their legs moved like robots and all they could do was smile at each other then turn away.

" There you go Donghae-ah, just like that!" Soonkyu smiled at him, always giving constant praises.

Donghae watched her as she instructed him on exactly what to do and when to do it, and to seem as natural as possible.

Soonkyu suddenly looked down and bit her lip. " Sooo, who are you going to take to the ball? Seongwan?".

Donghae chuckled and shook his head as they continued to sway throughout the room. " Actually I have no idea, b-but maybe you'd like to go with me?" He had no idea why he was stuttering but something inside him hoped she'd say yes.

Lee looked up in surprise by the sudden question and looked away for only a moment. " Sure.".

Donghae smiled from ear to ear and suddenly his heart began to beat at the speed of light. " Great.".

What the hell is wrong with me?

His heart continued to beat quickly. He wondered if she could possibly hear it.

" Oh and by the way," Soonkyu caught his attention once more, " Just call me Sunny".

Donghae quirked an eyebrow and laughed. " What is that? A stage name?".

Sunny rolled her eyes and smirked, slightly slapping his arm. " No it's just a nickname my unnie's used to call me by back home.".

For some reason Donghae seemed to be a bit surprised by the mention of having 'unnie's'. He sort of imagined her as the person who would most likely enjoy sitting curled up on a sofa reading a book then going to a mall and hanging out with friends.

" Alrighty then, Sunny Bunny it is." Donghae smiled, he noticed her eyes widen and her cheeks go red.

" Eh? Sunny Bunny?" Lee cocked her head to the side, a bit of aegyo (cuteness) audible in her tone.

Donghae nodded and pulled their bodies just a bit closer. " Yep, my nickname for you.".

Sunny didn't know why but something in her heart suddenly clicked, and a warm feeling spread across her body.

 

 

Annyeong everyone, I just decided to write this through inspiration. Just for a heads up, this is exactly what I had to do in ROTC today. It was so embarassing, I couldn't look at my partner's face. We had dance to the music, twirl, sway, and hold each other in awkward positions. SOOOO UNCOMFORTABLE! The reason we did that is because we were having a Military Ball so we were required to waltz there, eventhough i'm not going I still had to learn >:(

Bye for now everyone,

Kiraheart