I'm Leaving

Yes...Ma'am

It had been almost a month since Commander Lee Soonkyu had requested reassignment. When asked to give a valid reason as to why she wanted this, she claimed it was because of complete and utter ignorance and harassment from the group of men she had been training so diligently those past couple months. She said they were loud, they were uncooperative, sloppy, not ready for battle, anything to convince the chief that that wasn't  the right platoon for her.

" Ms. Lee, this is not a shopping mall. These platoons, these men, are not outfits. You don't get to try it on, purchase it, then return it the next day because you suddenly realized the colour doesn't suit you. This is the real world Commander. This is the army. We don't go shopping. We go and fight for our country with great honour and dignity. If there is a problem it is your duty to handle it."

Sunny held her ground as she was being scolded by her Commander-in-Chief. She knew this would be his response, but she had been hoping for some kind of miracle. She stared at him, without saying a word. The man was old and very tall. His hair was a salt and pepper grey and his eyes were beady and light brown. 

Sunny tensed, he had stopped talking. This meant he was ready to come to a decision and that she might be stuck with him, with Donghae, for good. 

The chief clasped his hands together and leaned onto his desk. " My conclusion is, Commander Lee, that if there is a real problem, if there is harassment and disorganization among your men, you may not be reassigned..."

Sunny wanted to scream. Internally she was ripping this man apart limb from limb, but she managed to keep her cool. 

The chief layed back into his chair and stared at her quizzically. " But, I cannot stray from the fact that I may have an unfocused or rather distressed commander leading my men, therefore you may take temporary leave for up to 7 days."

Sunny relaxed. It may not have been her ideal response, but thinking about being able to go home for possibly a week was something she considered a privilege. She had not seen her family and friends for over a year. " Then, Sir, I would like to request for temporary leave for 1 week."

He nodded and gave a small smirk, or what he probably considered a smile. " Temporary leave granted. I can make time available for you in a month's time."

She nodded and stood up. " Thank you sir."

Sunny turned around and walked out his office, turning down a couple hallways, before making her way outside.

Heading down to her room, Sunny watched the different faces pass by her. Including her, there were only 16 women in the entire base. All of them either soldiers, nurses, or technicians. She was the only one among them who had become a commander. She had to work her way up. It wasn't easy, but she proved that you didn't have to be a man to be a military commander.

Sunny squinted as she got closer to her rooming unit. Standing right in front of her door was the last person she wanted to see. She grumbled and stood in front of him.

" Your standing in front of my door."

He didn't say anything.

" Donghae, you don't have permission to be here."

Donghae shook his head. " I don't need permission to visit a friend."

Sunny cringed at the word friend and  strode right past him, opening her door. Donghae pushed through and walked inside her room. 

" Hey!" Sunny followed after him. 

She watched him study the pictures on her wall. Pictures of family and friends. He had his eye on one picture though. A picture of a younger Sunny, one who was maybe 6 years old, standing in front of a building next to a girl who seemed about the same age, her best friend Taeyeon.

He smiled lightly. " Is that you?" He pointed at the picture.

Sunny clenched her teeth and pointed at the door. " Get out Donghae!"

He sighed and sat down on her sofa. " I'm not leaving until I get to properly have a talk with you."

Sunny let out a frustrated yell and slammed her front door shut. " Fine! What do you want?"

Donghae leaned forward and placed his elbows on his knees, his hands held tightly together. " I came here to see how you were doing."

She scoffed. " I'm fine thank you. Now leave."

Donghae shook his head. " No your different. I haven't talked to you in days. You've been avoiding me. "

Sunny rolled her eyes and sat on the chair across from him. " Well I'm sorry we all can't be rays of sunshine. Besides, your one of my soldiers. I can't make any close contact with my soldiers, Donghae. There are certain boundaries I cannot cross."

Donghae frowned. " That never stopped you before."

She was quiet. The room got silent quickly as neither of them said anything. The only thing that could be heard was the ticking of her wall clock. 

Sunny finally spoke up. " I'm leaving soon."

Donghae's eyes widened. He sprung from his seat and nearly gave Sunny a heart attack. " What?! You can't do that! You can't leave! We need you!"

Sunny didn't say a thing.

Donghae stepped closer to her whispering loud enough for her to hear, " I need you,"

Sunny faltered. The look in his eyes was gentle. Soft. He stared at her with admiration. With love. She couldn't look at him the same. " Calm down. I will only be gone for a week. It's just temporary leave."

Donghae's shoulders tensed. " Why? What for?"

Sunny sighed and massaged her temples, using what was left of her willpower to keep herself from hitting him. " That is none of your concern."

Donghae shook his head in disbelief. " Of course it is! Your my friend-"

" Stop saying that!" Sunny couldn't hold it in any longer. She had always had a problem with thinking before she spoke. 

Donghae looked at her confused. " Stop saying what?"

Sunny was already beginning to regret her outburst. " Nothing just...just go back to your barracks soldier." The word 'soldier' seemed so foreign to her. She had gotten so used to calling him Donghae. It was then that she realized after not calling him by his name that it was her fault she felt this way. She did not discipline herself enough. She had no restraints and forgot one of the biggest rules and regulations on relationships in the military: No relationships were to ever take place between a soldier and someone in his/her chain of command. She had forgotten this and it was basic Army Policy protocol. 

" Soldier? Really?" Donghae was beyond frustrated. All he wanted to know was what he did wrong. " Is that really all I am to you?"

Sunny didn't answer him.

He continued. " Seriously Sunny what has been with you? Why are you leaving all of a sudden?"

Sunny wanted to tell him, she really did, but she hated showing people her weak side. " I miss my family. I miss my friends. I want to see them again. That's all."

Donghae didn't buy it. " Really? Is that all?"

Sunny yelled. " Yes for the love of God yes! That's it!"

Donghae didn't push any farther. He had done something wrong and all he was trying to do was figure out what it was. He sat back down on the sofa, flipping through his memories. Going back to the ball, the hospital, anytime he could think of being with just Lee Soonkyu. 

He stared at her for a moment before breaking the silence once more. " You know what? I don't know what I did wrong but I'm just trying to make things better between us and your not making any effort to do the same. I know being friends with my Commander isn't exactly encouraged, but I let myself go. I let myself be friends with you because your a good person. I know you are."

Sunny was done. She was not going to listen to him anymore. " Oh wow. You let yourself be friends with me. What a privilege. What an honour. You let yourself. You know what? I am so done with you. You say something hurtful to a person then turn around and pretend it never happened. I can't do this anymore Donghae. I can't. You want to know why I want to leave so bad? To get away from you! Are you happy now? Is that the answer you wanted?" 

Donghae shook his head. " I don't even know what I did wrong!"

Sunny glared at him without answering.

Donghae stood up once again, putting his hands up defensively. " Okay fine. If you want to leave? Go. You have made everything perfectly clear for me now. From now on I will stay out of your way."

He headed for her door and stopped mid way looking back at her one last time. " See you around, Commander."

Donghae trudged out her room, seething with anger, only to briefly catch a framed picture hiding behind a stack of books on her desk whilst walking out the door. It was Sunny smiling at the camera, a younger looking Sunny with longer hair, but that's not what got him jealous. It was the man who's arm was draped around her shoulders. A man he had so obviously recognized in a split second.

Lee Soonkyu's "husband", Lee Sungmin. 

 

Whaddup ma good friends? First update since my super long hiatus! Was I fast enough? Haha so yeah pretty serious chapter, problems between the HaeSun couple uh oh but no probs things will get better ^^ or will they MUAHAHAHA! As always thanks for reading and I'll update the next chapter soon :) Comments are appreciated (they help boost my urge to write more HEH)

Kira~