I'm Home

Yes...Ma'am

 

Donghae did not bother to see Sunny off. He couldn't bear it. He didn't want to blow up in her face.

Ever since he had seen that picture in her room he couldn't stop thinking about her. Why did she have that picture if she hated him so much? And why was it hidden? Sungmin had done horrible things to her, even to Donghae. It just didn't make sense.

Donghae tried to clear his mind. It was a beautiful sunny day outside and he was still laying in bed. All he wanted to do was relax. Seongwan wasn't around when he woke up, meaning he probably went to go jogging on the track again. 

Donghae pulled himself up out of bed and stared at the digital clock on his desktop. Twelve-thirty in the afternoon. He must've been tired. Donghae's mind trailed off again. He wondered what Sunny might've been doing by now. Loading her luggage into her car? Starting up her engine? 

On the contrary. Sunny was already on the road. She had left early in order to get there sometime in the afternoon and not late at night, considering it was about an 8 hour drive back to Seoul, where her family lived. 

Sunny couldn't help but wonder why Donghae had been so concerned about their relationship while she drove. He came up out of the blue, uninvited and started questioning her like it was some sort of interrogation. Why was he so concerned? Why did he care? It was all so confusing. She kept wavering between whether or not it was because they were "friends" or maybe because he thought of her as more than friends. She assumed it was probably the first option. He had made it clear that they were just friends and that she really didn't mean much to him at the hospital. What she was doing was the right thing. Or was it?

Sunny ruffled her hair, frustrated and continued to drive, trying to focus on the road. She hoped this trip would clear up everything.

Some hours later Sunny pulled up to her parents house. It was a big blue home on top of a hill somewhere on the South side of Seoul, you couldn't miss it. She took a deep breath and let it out. It made her nervous to be back after so long especially without calling. Yes, she didn't call anyone. She wanted it to be a surprise.

Sunny hopped out of her car and slammed the door behind her, hoping it was loud enough for someone to hear and open the door so she wouldn't have to. Slowly she made her way to their front porch and carefully rang the bell. She waited. Nothing. Sunny pressed the button again. No one. She began to grow impatient. Just as she turned around the door opened and standing there was her mother, still looking as beautiful as Sunny had seen her one year ago. 

Sunny had already begun to cry. " Mom..."

Her mother's eyes watered. " Come here."

Sunny let go of everything. All of her emotions that she had suppressed back at the base for the sake of her reputation burst through and she jumped into her mothers arms, sobbing. " Mom. Oh God, Mom I missed you so much. I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was coming I just couldn't bear being away any longer."

She felt her mom's soft patting on her back as she cried. " It's alright baby," her voice was sweet and reassuring " You're home, that's all that matters. You are finally home."

Yes she was home. Sunny was home. She stepped out of her mother's embrace and gave a small smile. Happily hugging her mother once more before stepping inside her beloved house she missed so much. " Where's Dad?"

Her mother followed after her, excited with the unexpected arrival of her daughter. " He's still at work, but he'll be back soon."

Sunny turned back around and held onto her mother's hand. " I'm so happy to be here."

" Oh me too, but first I have a lot of questions for you missy." Her mother lead her to their living room and they sat on the couch. " How did you get here? What happened? How's life at the base? Have you been eating well?"

Sunny laughed and leaned back. " Whoa slow down mom. My Chief gave me temporary leave, life at the base is fine, and yes I am eating three times day."

Her mother smiled and held her daughter's hand. " Well what happened? What made you want to come back? "

Sunny's breath hitched. She wasn't sure she wanted to tell her mother yet. " Well I just missed you guys...a lot."

Her mom gave her a look. " Lee Soonkyu, don't lie to me. If you had wanted to come back so bad you would have told us you were coming the minute they gave you permission. I know my daughter well! Come on, tell me the real reason."

Sunny sighed. " I don't know if I'm ready to tell you yet, but all I have to say is that it has to do with a boy."

Her mother gasped, excited. " What? A boy? When?! Oh I'm so happy for you!"

Sunny held her mother in place. " Calm down mom. We're just friends ."

Sunny's mother slumped in her seat. " Oh. So that's it?" She paused for a moment. " Nothing more?"
 
Sunny shook her head and shrugged hopelessly. Her mother nodded before suddenly jumping up in realization. " Oh my goodness Soonkyu you still haven't seen the girls! Are you going to meet them soon?"

" Well yeah I was planning on going over to Taeyeon's house for a quick visit later." 

Her mother smiled, eyes sparkling. " Why don't you head over right now? I'm sure she'll be happy to see you."

Sunny looked at her mom, making sure it was really okay with her before agreeing to head over to her best friend's home.

Sunny gave a quick goodbye to her mother and left her house, walking towards the street. Taeyeon only lived a block away. She remembers when her and her friend used to walk to one another's house at night and chat about things that were happening in their lives, giggling like little girls while talking about crushes and crying about each other's hardships. She only hoped the other girl would remember her. Sure it had only been a year, but that's a lot longer than it actually seemed. People can change faster in one day than one year. 

Sunny took a deep breath as she approached Taeyeon's house. It was just as she had remembered it. A beautiful white house with a spacious front yard with flowers showering the doorstep. She slowly made her way to the front door and knocked. It wasn't until only two seconds later when the door quickly opened revealing her best friend whom she had missed so much. Taeyeon stared at her blankly for a moment, not believing her eyes, before bursting into tears. 

" Pabo." Taeyeon whispered, holding onto Sunny, " You never even called."

Sunny smiled, teary eyed. " I'm sorry. I really sorry."

Sunny pulled away and smiled at Taeyeon. " Can I come inside? I think there's a lot that we need to talk about."

Taeyeon nodded and stepped aside, giving her room to walk inside. She led Sunny up to her old room and they both took a seat on her bed. " You caught me at just the right time. I just got back from Seoul University two days ago."

Sunny's eyebrows raised. " You enrolled? Kim Taeyeon when did you get so smart?"

Taeyeon laughed. " Yeah I got accepted 6 months ago and just got on break. I decided I'd visit the family, but I never thought I would see you here. Man it's been so long? When did we last see each other?"

Sunny thought back to the last time she came home. " Um I think it was at the barbecue Hyoyeon threw at her house last time."

Taeyeon nodded laughing. " Oh my gosh I remember. She got so drunk that night."

Sunny laughed too clearing and letting out a deep sigh. " Actually Taeyeon, I needed to talk to you about something important. I need your advice."

Taeyeon nodded gesturing her to keep talking. " Ok well, there's this guy at the base-"

Taeyeon squealed in excitement interrupting Sunny. " Oh my gosh did you finally find the right bae for you? What's his name?"

Sunny shook her head and laughed. " His name is Donghae and no just let me continue. See, I think I kind of like him and, I don't know, I thought he liked me too but then he kept going on about being friends and how I was such a good friend to him but nothing more and I guess I got kind of harsh on him?"

Taeyeon looked at her for a moment then spoke. " Then just be friends."

Sunny didn't understand how that would really help her situation. " Wait what?"

Taeyeon laughed and playfully nudged  Sunny's side. " Dude you're just over complicating things. If he wants to be friends then be friends, get close to him, flirt here and there, and then after awhile, if he actually feels differently about you and things work out, you will have your man. If things don't change then maybe you guys weren't really meant for each other in the first place."

Sunny thought about it for a moment. Taeyeon was very blunt. She said what she meant without any hesitation, making Sunny worried over whether or not the girl had actually thought this through, but she trusted her best friend. " You really think it'll work?"

Taeyeon shrugged. " Hey you never know, love works in wondrous ways. Just know that even if things don't work out with him, there will always be some guy out there waiting for you."

Sunny smiled softly and hugged her friend. The two of the spent the rest of the day laughing, gossiping, and catching up with each other's lives. 

" So what's his name?" Sunny giggled.

Taeyeon smiled shyly. " I can't tell you yet. I don't know if it's official between us or not."

Sunny rolled her eyes. " Oh come on you can tell me, besides you haven't even met him yet so it won't matter anyways."

Taeyeon blushed nervously. " I know but he said he's coming next week."

" And I won't be here to bug you about it so what's all the hesitation for?" Sunny was starting to get suspicious.

Taeyeon fiddled with her fingers. " Just give me time."

Sunny stared at her for a moment then decided not to press any further with the subject. She looked up at the clock hanging on Taeyeon's wall and her eyes popped out of their sockets. Sunny jumped off the bed and put on her shoes in a hurry. " Oh my god it's 8:00 pm already? My dad got home two hours ago! He's gonna be pissed if he finds out I came without bothering to see him first!"

Taeyeon laughed and leaned back. " Oh come on your dad is not that uptight."

Sunny shook her head. " Oh you don't know him. He wasn't a General for nothing!" She turned back to her friend, " Walk me out?"

Taeyeon nodded and led her to the front door, giving her a big hug, before promising she would call up the other girls and get them all together soon before Sunny had to go back.

Sunny walked home silently, drifting off to her thoughts. She thought back to the argument her and Donghae had had a month ago. Since then they hadn't talked and only ever saw each other during training or drill, though she tried not to notice him within the other men while they were doing push-ups or running through an obstacle course. It had never been this awkward with them before, but now it was like they didn't even know each other. He didn't visit her room anymore or even make simple eye contact with her. He was doing his very best to avoid her. Sunny decided that when she got back she would make things right by taking Taeyeon's advice and trying out the whole "friends" thing. I mean what's the worst that can happen right?

Sunny finally saw her house and walked inside. The door, surprisingly, had been unlocked. The first thing she saw was her father sitting at his desk on the other side of the room looking through paperwork and Sunny smiled. " Dad!"

He turned around, recognizing her voice and excitedly put his arms out. Sunny ran into them and squealed when she was lifted into the air just like old times. Her father may have been aging but he was still stronger than a bull. " Ah my girl! It's been too long."

Sunny patted his back, feeling more at home than ever. Her dad pulled away and curled a piece of her hair behind her ear. " I missed you." 

Sunny giggled. " I missed you too."

Her father clapped and pushed her towards the stairs. " Mom's making dinner so bring your friend downstairs."

Sunny looked at him confused. " Friend?"

Her dad chuckled. " What did mom not tell you? We have a guest. He'll be staying with us while you're here. You guys will share your room together. Bring him down, the food's almost ready!"

Sunny nodded and wordlessly bounded up the stairs. A guest? Staying in the same room with her? And it was a "he"? Who was this guy? Sunny was feeling nervous as she opened the door to her room. When she saw who "he" was though, she almost cried in frustration.

Sitting on her bed, wearing sweats and a t-shirt, was Donghae.

 

Hey guys sorry it's been really long :(
I went on vacation for 4th of July like my family does every year in Lake Tahoe. It was fun but after two straight days of writing on my laptop my uncle kind of put up this "no technology" rule in the house we rented so me and my cousins had to give him our stuff :P it was sad at first since I couldn't continue writing and I was almost finished too but in the end It ended up being a really great trip :) so here's the long awaited chapter, sorry it took so long and sorry for my crappy writing, I wrote this kinda fast T-T but I'll see you soon with another, hopefully much better, chapter!