Soonkyu, I'm Sorry

Yes...Ma'am

Soonkyu?

Donghae would've never expected his high Commander to have that kind of name. He chuckled while reading it over, Lee Soonkyu. " Yah, Seongwan-ah! Check this out! Lee's real name is SOONKYU!".

Seongwan was a very lean boy with an eye smile that could stop a girl's heart. He had been recruited a month ago, same time as Donghae, and since then they've been good buddies. The other guys might've , but he was faster than half the men in his block.

Seongwan leaned forward and looked at the name, his eyes widening. " Jinja?(really?)".

Donghae nodded excitedly and both boys laughed at the beauty of it all. Seongwan calmed down and nudged Donghae, his face very serious. " Geundae (But), what were you doing in Soonkyu's office? You know she'll kill you if she finds out!".

Donghae rolled his eyes and put the paper back in his pocket, leaning against his headboard for support. " Pish posh, like she'll ever find out.".

The two boys continued the night chatting up a storm, each daring each other to call her by her real name the next time they saw her, laughing about how they'd probably get their heads chopped off.

The next morning every man from block 5 ran into their stationary gym and took their places in line. Something seemed to be wrong, you could just feel it. Suddenly Commander Lee barged through the front doors and stood in front of the many lines of men. " Alright everyone 3000 diamon push ups, now!".

The bored exprssions on each man's face became those of someone who was asking for death. Soonkyu was mad. REALLY mad and that meant trouble, someone was going to get punished.

While every person began doing push ups, Lee headed back for the doors. " Lee Donghae, recover and meet me outside.".

Donghae had a feeling he knew what she was going to talk to him about, but got up anyways and followed her outside. Once they were completely out of ear distance from the gym, Lee turned around and slapped him across the face.

Donghae stood there shocked, he slowly brought his hand up to his cheek. " D-did you just...slap me?".

When he looked up he couldn't believe his eyes, the strong and fierce Commander Lee was crying. For once, he saw the innocence and the pain in her eyes. She looked like a girl who had just gotten out of high school and was probably having a spat with her boyfriend.

" How dare you!!" She yelled, loud enough for the hawks in the air to stop mid-flight. Everything became scarcely quiet.

Donghae tried to reach out and touch her but she stepped back. " Soonkyu-ssi.."

But he was interrupted when she pushed him. " Don't call me that! What gives you the right to look through my stuff? My personal stuff!".

Donghae was extremely surprised by her behavior, he didn't expect her to get so sensitive over the discovery of her real name. " Commander chill out it was just a piece of paper with your name on.."

But again he was cut off by Ms. Soonkyu herself. " I don't care about that! You knocked down a box and it smashed against a gold locket!".

" I-i'm sorry?" He was still confused, was the locket expensive?

" You idiot!" She paced back and forth then turned to face him again, " That was my mother's last gift to me before she died! It was the last thing I could ever remember of her!".

Donghae's heart almost crushed into little tiny pieces as guilt washed over him. He knew what it was like to lose a parent and if he ever found his dad's lucky navy jacket torn to bits he might've just killed the person all together. Donghae did the unexpected, he reached over and grabbed Soonkyu by the shoulders. He wrapped his arms around her tiny frame and pulled her into his embrace. He could feel her struggling to let go, kicking him and punching him, and he could admit that the pain from those blows ere no joke, but he continued to hold on to her until she had finally given up and let him hold her.

" S-soonkyu...I know what it's like." with Donghae's words Soonkyu looked up at him confused, " I know what it's like to lose a parent and I swear to God if I could go back in time and stop myself from ruining your mother's locket I would.".

Lee pulled herself out of his grasp and wiped the remaining tears off her cheeks. " Nevermind. Just go back inside and tell the boys that I won't be instructing PT (in ROTC we call that code for exercise) today and that they can go back to their dorms.".

Donghae watched as she slowly walked away and bit his lip, walking back into the auditorium and giving all the guys the news. The boys cheered and headed out, maybe to get a drink or something like that, but Donghae just stood there.

Seongwan ran up to him and slapped him on the back. " Yah nice one! I thought you were gonna be dead meat back there! Guess you showed Soonkyu!".

Donghae looked down, the guilt was eating him alive, he could not believe how stupid and selfish he had been.

" Donghae-ah!" Seongwan snapped him out of his thoughts, " Let's go grab a beer, huh?".

Donghae shook his head and walked past him, " No, not today man.".

While walking towards his dorm, Donghae happened to spot Lee heading into her room. Her eyes were red and puffy and her strong appearance was now gone, all he could see was a broken woman.

Donghae looked down and headed the other way.

Lee Donghae, what have you done?

 

Annyonghaseyo everyone, just to point one quick thing out I'm just writing all this military stuff out by how I've learned in ROTC. In most american high schools we have a program called ROTC or JROTC and it's basically for those looking for discipline or wanting to enroll in the army or navy after high school. We wear uniforms, do drill, PT, and lectures in which we learn things like ranks and Orders to the Sentry. So just in case you were wondering. Questions and comments are appreciated.

Annyeong for now,

Kiraheart