Chapter 2

Fiction and Fact [Sequel to On Rainy Days]

 

Yoseob:

   We just sat there watching Junhyung in silence, holding a small hope that our focusing gazes would wake him up somehow. It was kind of awkward when we weren’t fooling around as usual, but I knew it was not a proper time to joke. Seeing Junhyung like that made me feel guilty. I feel safer when everyone is taking care of me, so I always act like a childish kid in front of people. Junhyung, in contrast, is always taking care of other people. Especially Hyunseung. I have to admit it, I’m jealous. Why can’t I just have someone special to care only for me?

   I thought I was going crazy. My thought kept spinning around in circles. I’m jealous with Hyunseung for being Junhyung’s. I was crazy. I am crazy.

   Just then, Junhyung startled from his sleep and sprang up, trying to get out of the room as quickly as he could. Before his effort succeeded, Kikwang took long strides towards the bed and pushed him down.

   “You have to rest, hyung.” The younger ordered firmly. I have never seen him being so serious since the first time I met him.

   “No.” Junhyung refused and pulled the needle out of his arm. Some of us winced at the sight of blood. The machines in the room started to shriek in a terrible sound before Kikwang gave them a violent kick and everything fell back into silence. Dongwoon stood up, wanting to say something but the leader signaled him to sit down. We all didn’t want things to become worse. Junhyung looked at Kikwang, and the latter’s face went red with anger. He yelled, breaking the scary silence of the room:

   “Hyung, just because you want to take care of Hyunseung-hyung doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice your freaking life for him! Think clear before you decide to do anything crazy, or someday you’ll have to regret it!” He clenched his fists tight and lowered his voice. “What about us? What about ~~~~~~? What about Hyunseung? What would he feel when he wakes up without you by his side? Hyung, stop it. It’s enough for you to take care of yourself. From now on, we will handle the job.”

   Junhyung shook his head and staggered his way out of the room, slamming the door behind his back. Kikwang sat down on the bed and held his head in desperation. I stood up and looked at Doojoon. The latter nodded, and I rushed after Junhyung.

You:

   She opened her eyes as soon as the phone vibrated without even realizing that she was sleeping on the floor. She rubbed the sleep out of her swollen eyes and sat up while reading the message.

From: Doojoon oppa

There was a problem with Junhyung, but we got it all under control. Kikwang is a little bit depressed. If you are free, call us. Don’t get frustrated. Just continue with your work if you are busy.

   Soon after that, she realized that she missed the morning’s lecture. It was already half past twelve, and she would surely miss the rest of the classes if she didn’t hurry up. Rushing into the bathroom, she took a quick cold shower and started to brush her teeth while calling the guys. Doojoon picked up right after she finished brushing.

   “~~~~~~? Are you still there?”

   “Yeah, yeah, oppa,” She rummaged through her messy wadrobe and pulled out the only shirt that wasn’t wrinkled. “I’m here. What’s going on?”

   “What are you doing?” Doojoon lowered his voice. “You aren’t calling us in class, are you?”

   “No, I’m still at home. Now tell me what the hell is going on?” She the loudspeaker and put the phone on the table while struggling with her messy hair.

   “Good.” Doojoon sighed. “I’m afraid that Junhyung has been under too much stress. He passed out earlier before and we’re in the hospital now…”

   “WHAT?” She interrupted the leader in a loud voice and began to shove the papers into her backpack. Rushing out of the bedroom and toasting the bread as quickly as possible, she was spreading orange jam on the last piece of bread when Doojoon answered.

   “It’s okay, he is well enough to escape from his bed and go back to Hyunseung. But there is a slightly major problem here…”

   “Be quick, oppa!” She slammed the door behind her back and rushed to the bus stop with a piece of toast still on her hand. Luckily, the bus was there waiting for her patiently. She jumped up and found herself a seat while still talking with the leader on the phone. Doojoon sighed and told her:

   “He and Kikwang argu… I mean, had a small discussion before he left. The younger is a little down now, and Yoseob is with Junhyung. Hyunseung is still fine, and maknae wants to talk to you.”

   “Okay,” She sighed and bit a corner of the toast. Disgusting. “Put him on.”

   “~~~~~~?” Dongwoon’s voice came to her ears.

   “Yeah, I’m here.” She smiled. The maknae of the gang was only her age, but his voice sounds even manlier than Junhyung’s. “So, what’s up?”

   “Kikwang hyung hasn’t been that well after he and Joker hyungnim argued…”

   “Dongwoon!” She chuckled as the leader growled and the maknae murmured.

   “Okay, sorry. I meant… have a little discussion. He kept silent ever since hyungnim left and I’m kind of scared. Will he blow up or something like that, ~~~~~~?”

   She sighed. Things were getting tougher and tougher after she left.

   “Oppa will be alright.” She said and stood up from her seat. The bus was going to reach her campus any moment. “Just give him some time to calm down. Please pass the phone back to Doojoon oppa. I need to tell him something.”

   “Thanks, ~~~~~~. You are the best.” Dongwoon said. A few moments later, Doojoon was on. “What’s it?” He asked.

   “I’m going home.” She said as quickly and firmly as she could, picturing the scene of Dongwoon still holding the phone on his hand with his jaw dropped down to the floor. Maybe he did it, maybe he didn’t.

   “WHAT?”  A moment later, the leader shrieked in anger. “Kwon ~~~~~~, what the are you thinking?”

   “I’m thinking what I’m thinking.” She smirked and walked down from the bus. “Trust me. I’ve got it all under control. Bye, oppa.”

   “Don’t even tell me that… Hey!”

   She looked down at her phone once again before rushing into the building. After greeting a few friends, she got to the head of her department’s office and knocked gently on the door.

   “Come in.” As she heard his husky voice, she exhaled deeply and turned the doorknob. The fat, kind professor was standing next to the window. At the moment he saw her, he smiled warmly and spoke with a pure English accent.

   “Well, good afternoon, Ms.Kwon. Why do I have the honor to see you here today?”

   “Good afternoon, Professor Clarkson.” She panted and sat down facing Clarkson. He offered her a cup of tea, but she refused hurriedly. He raised his eyebrows at her questioningly and asked:

   “It is rare to see you rushing like that, Ms.Kwon. What do you want to talk about?”

   “I want to finish my studying as soon as possible.” She looked down at her lap and murmured.

   “But… why?”

   “There is something I need to fix way back home.” She smiled sadly.

   “I know, but I’m afraid it’s unlikely to happen. Our rules stated that every student studying for a Master degree needs to complete all of his or her credits before writing the thesis. You have five more to finish, and it wouldn’t be possible to…”

   “Please, Professor.” She interrupted him and started to pull out her paperwork. “I have been researching for my thesis lately, and I think this would be a potential success. I can finish all of my credits in one week and a half, and until then, please read my thesis. I will present it in front of the committee right after that if possible. All will be done in two weeks. I need to be home, Professor. Please help me.”

   “Okay, I’ll see what I can do about it.” He told her while his bald head. “I’ll see you in one more week.”

   “Thank you, Professor.” She bowed at him respectively and left the room, preparing for her next class.

-----------------------------------------

Author's words: Hey, it's dreamybaby here. So... how do you think about this? I thought it was kinda lame :|

Anyway, another chapter of Gamers will be updated some time tomorrow. Please show me your support! *bow*