Chapter 8

Fiction and Fact [Sequel to On Rainy Days]

You:

  She lifted her head up from the table tiredly and looked around her office. Almost everyone was off to lunch break, leaving behind their colorful cubicals which stood out from the grey wall just like magic rainbows. She snatched the computer mouse in a rather violent way and began to browse through the folders. She was working there as a full-time journalist, but being a newbie in the office equaled nothing important to do, and she had already finished all of her paperwork for the week in two and a half days. Turning the search engine on, she was planning to download some kind of entertainment to the computer when someone rubbed a cold aluminium can against her cheek. She startled a bit and looked up to see her feminine colleague sticking his tongue out playfully.

   "You sure look tired. Want some Coke?" He held out a can offeringly, and she couldn't help but smile at him and take the can. She took a sip from it, and it made her feel a lot better.

   "Thanks, Minki." She said, and the latter grinned proudly while his blonde-dyed hair. Choi Minki, also known as Ren, was her colleague and new-found friend. She met him when she got hired into the company some times ago, and found out that they really had much in common. Anyway, Minki sat down on his chair and pulled himself closer to her. She pulled the small window seperating their cubicals aside, and Minki leaned over to pick Pororo up from her desk. He spun around happily playing with the little penguin as she finished her drink and stared at its brand name. Coke. Joker. Junhyung.  Coke. Joker. Junhyung. Suddenly, she felt desperated more than ever. Putting the empty can on the floor, she used her impressive imagination to think that the can was Junhyung and stomped on it. Poor thing, the can became flat and Minki sticked his head into her orange cubical again. He opened his eyes wider at the sight of the flat can, murmuring something that sounded like 'you are scary'. She smirked and rested her arm and head on the back of her chair. After getting a comfortable position, she began to stare at Minki until the latter begin to giggle. He played with his bangs cheerfully and asked.

   “"Why are you looking at me like that?".

"I was just admiring your beauty." She let out a dramatic sigh, causing the boy to blush gently. "No, seriously, I don't even get a clue why you are dating Dongho." 

   Minki just giggled again. She took the vibrating phone out of her pocket and looked at the text message:

From: Seungie Seung

Hey, mind if I pick you up in fifteen minutes? I need someone to go to the checkup with. After that it's double-crust pineapple pizza, my treat.

   She flipped her hair aside and pressed the call button. Hyunseung took two seconds to pick up.

   "What do you think about the offer?" He asked playfully.

   "You got me with that pizza thing. Where is Junhyung?"

  "He told me he was going out for Christmas decoratives."

  "Okay, see you in another fifteen minutes. I'm walking to the park; pick me up there." She said and hung up the phone. Minki was still looking at her curiously.

   "Is it your friend? The one with wavy hair?" He asked.

   "You know you sound like a creepy stalker, right?".

  "A great journalist knows everything." Minki smirked arrogantly. She flicked his forehead jokingly and stood up from her chair. 

   "I'm off now, but I'll be back in two hours or so. Just build some excuses. Tell the boss that I'm in my period or something like that. Something dirty."

   Lifting her bag up, she jumped over the window and got to Minki's pink cubical. He took a look at the window and took his scarf off.

   “Put this on. It's snowing outside and you might get a cold."

  She accepted the blue scarf and wrapped it around her neck. A shy, gentle fragance came to her nose as she kissed Minki on the cheek and said:

   "Thanks. And also, I'm going to save you from Dongho the Jerk when I'm back. Get yourself ready."”

  "Okay. I love you." The latter giggled and kissed her back.

   "Me too. I'll ask you to marry me later." She waved and got out of the room before meeting with Dongho. He nodded at her nonchalantly before heading to the working room, maybe just to make sure his little wife was okay. Lovers. She chuckled and turned around to face the elevator.

   She walked along the almost empty pavement with her hands being warmed inside her pockets. Some snowflakes staying on her nose and eyelashes reminded her of an amusing song her mother taught her when she was six. When it snows is when the sky is getting more sugar for its cup of tea. And there was even a funny dance for that song. Step, step, spin, slide, step, step, spin, slide. As she got familiar with the moves, she began to dance her funky way to the park; ignoring the fact that those few people on the street were looking at her as if she was a UFO. Later, she sat down on the frozen bench right outside the park and began to swing her feet gently until a luxurious black car appeared. The window in the back was rolled down and there was the fragile Hyunseung smiling at her. She skipped happily to the car and leaned over the window to kiss him on there forehead before getting a comfortable spot next to the older. She breathed against the window and drew hearts on the misty glass playfully when Hyunseung just leaned against the window and watched her with a peaceful smile on his lips. After she showed him her work, the car arrived at the hospital.

Hyunseung:

 The driver bowed at us again and walked back into the heavy snow. ~~~~~~ took my hand and led me to the reception desk. We took the examining papers and went around the hospital to take all of the checkups. She was always there with me, patiently waiting. I heard the nurses whispering to each other about so cute a couple we were, and couldn't ignore the smirk ~~~~~~ gave them. Strangers don't know anything.

   As we got out of the X-ray room, I led her to the final test of the checkup. She wanted to go with me but the doctor insist that I must take the blood test alone, so she reluctantly let me go and sat down on a chair outside the hall, busily texting her colleague. I just chuckled and stepped inside.

  "Good afternoon, Dr.Hwang." I bowed at him respectfully and he stood up to shake my hand with a gentle smile on his lips.

   "Good day to you, Hyunseung." He said. "Are you feeling okay nowadays?"

  "Yeah, things are fine." I looked at the ground and started to play with my bracelet. I didn't even get it why I was so nervous to do that final test. Maybe I was just scared when things happened smoothly and all of a sudden something minor went wrong. It would be ironic.

  "Ready for the blood test?" He raised his eyebrows at me and I nodded while holding my arm out. The doctor took it gently and put it on the table. After all the sterilizing, he took out a band and wrapped it around my upper arm. The needle on his hand suddenly sent a chill down my spine, but it seemed like he didn't notice.

  The doctor took a huge amount of blood and I felt dizzy afterwards. He helped me to stand still and said:

 "The result will be sent to your house in another three days. I hope that things will be fine."

   "Ah, thank you, Dr.Hwang." I bowed at him again and walked out. ~~~~~~ and the driver were waiting outside already. The latter went to get the car, as ~~~~~~ noticed the pale colors on my face and grabbed my arm protectively. 

   "Hyunseung ah, are you okay?" She asked worriedly and I nodded. "Just a little dizzy. Maybe some double-crust pineapple pizza will make me feel better."

   She giggled happily and pecked my cheek. Then she held my hand and swung hers cheerfully as we got out of the hospital.

  

"Ah..." I opened my mouth, and she put a huge piece of pizza inside my mouth while sipping her drink. I began to chew it slowly, feeling that the lost amount of blood and strength are coming back to me. She began to stare at me while biting her pizza dreamily with her chin rested on her hand. I her hair away from her bright face and patted her head:

 

"You seem to act differently from the last time I saw you. My Little Miss Sunshine is back, huh?"

   "The gloomy side of her needed to enjoy the outside world for a little while. Now that it got enough of the things it wanted, it went back to its sleep." She hummed softly like singing a song, looking completely normal and somewhat nonchalant. I persuaded myself to accept her answer and fed her another piece of pizza. When she finished chewing, both of our phone rang. We mouthed sorry to each other before taking our own call. 

  "Babe, where are you?" As Junhyung's voice reached my ears, the world turned so bright. It is amazing how love could change the world.

 "I'm with ~~~~~~. We are having some pizza. Wanna join us?"

   "Sure, I'll be there." His voice sounded uncaring, but I was pretty sure that his face brightened when I mentioned seeing him. We said goodbye lovingly and hung up. As I looked at the other side of the table, she left already. I couldn't even imagine how she could vanish in just a few seconds like that. Just then, I realized that we took some time to ask the other to hang up first. I blushed unwillingly and picked the hot-pink note on the table up. It was her typical handwriting, beautiful and neat:

There is some problem at work, I gotta go before Boss noticed that I skipped work this afternoon. Enjoy your smoochy-doochy lunch with Junhyung! I'm sending you two my kisses <3<3<3

   I folded the note and put it into my pocket, thinking about my sweet, shy little sister who turned into a caring and sometimes daring friend these days. Many things changed, but I was the only one who seemed to stay the same.

-----------------------------------------

Author's words: Double update, woohoo! NU'EST lovers, noticed anything? >:)