Chapter 10

Fiction and Fact [Sequel to On Rainy Days]

 

You:

It was really late at night and she was just lying there on her bed, eyes wide open. She glued them to the clock hanging on the wall opposite her and watched the second hand of it moving slowly. In the eerie light of the night lamp, its movement seemed to be painfully slow; and though her head was aching continually and her eyelids were extremely heavy, the tickling sound the hand made kept her away from her sleep. She was glad that it did, because she herself didn’t want to fall asleep, since the prospect of her lengthy thought haunting her when she closed her eyes was too hard to endure.

She sat up. The sheets moved under her body, creating a worn out sound; together with the creeking sound of the door, they randomly made the hair behind her head stand up. She reached out for her phone next to her bed and ended up hitting her fingers everywhere. After a few tickling sounds of the clock, she managed to bring it up close to her face. As the screen lit up and threw a strong light on her face, she frowned and looked at the time. Four o’clock in the morning. Letting out a long sigh, she pressed the virtual keys on the screen and composed a message, to the only person she knew who was calm and understanding enough to not yell at her face when receiving a text in so early a morning like that:

 

To: Seungie Seung

Hey, are you still awake? Call me if you are, alright?

 

Throwing her phone aside tiredly, she gently placed her feet on the floor and shuddered a bit as the cold tiles sent a chill down her spine. She sat there on a side of her bed without any kind of expression and when her feet sent her a message that they were already used to the cold surface, she stood up and staggered ahead, her hands blindly searching for the lightswitch. As she reached that spot and turned the light off, more like punching the lightswitch, her phone slowly vibrated. Sighing reluctantly, she closed her eyes to get used to the darkness and made her way back to her bed. The name showing on the phone’s screen was nothing else but the name of the person she texted just a while ago. Hyunseung. She accepted the call but then threw the phone down and sat there glassily for a while, eyes fixed on an unknown spot on the wall dimly lit by the streetlight outside. Seconds later, her homephone rang. Same number.

Gradually, she compromised with her eerie self to stand up and walk slowly towards the phone’s stand. Pressing the speaker button, she winced a bit when Hyunseung’s voice reached her ears, a little louder than expected:

   “~~~~~~? What happened? Is there something wrong with you?”

   “Hyunseung…” She sighed, but soon after that her weak and hoarse voice died out in a sea of nagging and asking, produced by no one else but the motherly Jang Hyunseung:

   “Are you sick? I told you to wear your jackets, it’s freezing now and if there is one last thing I want you to get in, it would surely be getting sick right before Christmas! Or did you get not enough sleep? For crying out loud, it’s just paperwork ~~~~~~, they won’t kill you if you’re a few hours late! Did you get troubled by some jerk? Did you see his face or any identical features? Call the police, ~~~~~~ ah!”

   “Hyunseung!”

   “Aren’t you supposed to go to work at eight? Go to sleep and don’t be late for work!”

   “Yah, Hyunseung! Just freaking shut up!” She scoffed angrily, but still ended up letting Hyunseung continue his preaching for another five minutes. At the point of nearly nodding off, she was startled again by Hyunseung’s raising voice calling her name, this time gentler and less annoying.

   “Yeah, I’m still here, still here.” She whispered weakly as the door creeked open again, bringing a strong gust of wind in and making goosebumps pop up randomly on her barely exposed arm. Assuming that Hyunseung heard that sniffling noise she made, he instantly lowered his voice and whispered back:

   “Sorry, I’m nagging again. What were you saying?”

   She smiled. A ghost of a weakly warm smile glided across her pale lips, in that sick light of the new dawn. When she pulled her legs closer and rested her chin on her knees, time seemed to stop. Out of the blue just like that, she held her breath, not even making a little sound. If she could wish for one thing when Hyunseung continued calling her name once again, that would be to have the ability to turn the clock around, just for a few hours. She needed to get ready. She couldn’t just spit it out, right in his face. She couldn’t.

   “When are you coming home?” She asked him weakly, as if his real ‘home’ was there, in Seoul, next to Junhyung and her; as if the place where he was living with his parents was something temporary and completely unfamiliar. Chuckling at the thought, she turned her head around to face her reflection in the mirror, which was mimicking her every movement. She wasn’t sure if that was for the light or something like that, but she swore she saw a glimpse of tears in her eyes. After that it was just pure silence. Her slender fingers slowly found their way from her ankle to her knees, from which they slowly retreated back to her neck and finally crawling back to her cold left cheek. There was nothing but that cold feeling, making her body numb, as if she still wouldn’t feel anything else if a truck ran through her. She laughed at her face mentally for thinking about that stuff, just because there was no way she could find a truck in her quiet neighborhood like that, in that beautiful moment of dawn. She checked herself out in the mirror again, still finding her reflections with teary eyes, as if it had its own feelings.  Gaping at each other, the two versions of her sat there in what could be called infinite silence. Time stopped again, only for her.

   “After breakfast. Why?” Though when you watched it from somewhere in the room, Hyunseung’s reply was after just a blink of an eye, to her, it felt like going through a century, a millenium, even the length of time that human can’t even measure. Her fingers were still caressing her cheek gently, almost like hoping to comfort her, to do anything that would stop her from getting teary eyes as her reflection did. But still, when the wind rose again, she shuddered. That action was something like pulling a secret trigger inside her, and from that point her gun fired. Tears started rolling down her cheeks, just like that “Ren’s silent storm”. Without a sound, she sat there, tears streaming, and with her unpredictably calm voice she replied:

   “Nothing, I just wanted to see you real soon. We all miss you, Seung.”

   “I miss you guys too.” She could hear his warm, smiling voice echoed through the speaker and resounded in her own spacious room, like her own sun lighting up the entire universe. She smiled weakly, the corners of her lips trembled as tears continues to stain her face and her nightgown. “Get some more sleep, ~~~~~~. I’ll call you firstly when I arrive, okay?”

   “No Joker allowed. Tonight it’s just me and you.” She managed to choke out a fake laughter; and it was seemingly real enough to make Hyunseung laugh along.

   “You are not trying to flirt with me, are you?” He asked jokingly as she heard shuffling noise at the other end of the phone, maybe it was just Hyunseung going to get some water.

   “Absolutely, maybe.” She smirked, and that funny snorting sound indicated that Hyunseung got the joke, one way or another.

   “All right honey, see you later.”

   “See you, Googly Bear.” She giggled through that misty curtain of tears in front of her eyes, and Hyunseung laughed along before saying goodbye again. She waited patiently for him to hang up. The empty beeping sound resounded again, and she didn’t even bother to turn it off, as she was too busy hugging her own knees, sobbing like a little girl.

Please be back, Hyunseung, please be back. I need to tell you this. I have to tell you this. Please, don’t leave yet, just wait for a little bit longer. I beg you…

That way, her silent prayer was sent to the floating morning clouds far above her head, making its way to Hyunseung and someone else, someone who was really far away from her. But would they ever get that message? 

-----------------------------------------

Author's words: So here's another update guys, and I really have to say JUST BLAME ME FOR THE BAD QUALITY OF THIS ALREADY TT_TT I really wanted to write the chapter this way, I really did and I DID write it this way, but it turned out to be the LAMEST THING I HAVE EVER WRITTEN JUST PURE LAME LAME LAME and I've tried pretty everything to change it but it just still stayed this way. LAME. So just yell at me already if you were not satisfied with this, and if you really are just say it, I won't be mad. Just please tell me what you think about this. I BEG YOU TT_TT

I'm running out of creativity. One down, three to go (I've got ideas for two and for the last one there are only brick OTL my brain). So this is the end of my complaining and I'll give you guys a break, so UNTIL THE NEXT UPDATE! Peace out! (Oh God this note is even longer than the update why am I so good when it comes to complaining?)