Suprise Visit and Secrets

It Started With a Dance Battle

DING DONG!

-Did I fall asleep?-

I sit up, and the cucumber slices falls in my knee.

-Was that the doorbell?-

I hear the door opening and when I hear the voice of the visitor my eyes widen.

-why on earth is Mimi here?-

More people starts talking and I realize that basically everyone from school is here.

Okay not everyone. But the ones I hang out with. It would’ve been weird if the whole school showed up.

“Amy! Come downstairs!” Kevin happily calls for me.

I get up and walk downstairs, praying that the cucumber has worked it’s magic while I was asleep.

-at least my eyes feel a lot better, so it should be okay-

“OMG Amy your eyes are all red! What happened to you? Kevin just said we should come over since you needed cheering up!” Yun looks all sympathetic.

-I guess it didn’t work then..-

“Nothing too dramatic, I just had the first real fight ever with my parents last night, dad grounded me for a month.” I try to keep my voice light, like it’s no big deal, but I still feel unfairly treated, angry and sad.

-Guess it’s something all teenagers go through-

Dongho starts talking “What the?! That’s freaking harsh, what did you even do-“

“Wasn’t your dad supposed to be in Taiwan?” Mimi interrupts him and he shoots her a dirty look.

“Let’s just get inside, this hallway is too cramped for all of us.” Kevin says and everyone agrees so we sit down in the living room instead.

There’re six of us, Yunnie, Mimi, Kevin, Dongho, Kiseop and me.

“Soo..” Kiseop starts talking, “what really happened yesterday..?” he asks carefully, like he’s afraid I’m going to start crying.

-I already cried a year’s worth of tears last night, over something that wasn’t really worth it. I will never cry again!.. Or maybe if it’s tears of joy-

I notice that the others are watching me, my little trail of thoughts might’ve given them the wrong idea.. so I better start explaining, but I’m a bit unsure on how to start.

“Well.. I-”

“Got caught smoking!” Dongho interrupts me.

”No! I’d never smoke, that’s disgusting! The thing that happened was that he found out that I-”

“Didn’t get an A on your Chinese essay?” Mimi randomly suggests.

“What the..? No! How can I NOT get an A when I can speak it fluently?”

“I was just kidding, chill.“

“ANYWAY”, Yunnie starts talking, “can we just let Amy talk, and if we keep interrupting we might die before she explains.”

No one says a word.

“Thank you, Yunnie. Soo.. As I was trying to say before, dad got home earlier than planned and freaked out because he found out I haven’t taken the limo everywhere I go. First he yelled at me, saying I could’ve gotten killed by a psycho, then he yelled at mom for not noticing, and then he decided that I’m grounded for a month and left for work.”

After my much shortened story about what happened at home they all stare at me in disbelief.

“Oh FUDGE!” I shriek.

-AAAAAAH SISHUS!-

”What!? What is it?” Kiseop asks.

-I can’t function right now. I can’t believe I forgot!-

”What if mom realizes that I’m not home? OMG I have to call home like right now!”

I get up and run into the kitchen but when I get to the phone recharger, where Kevin’s phone’s ALWAYS located, it’s gone. I look all over the counter, but no phone.

-the fact that my cellphone is out of battery is making it even worse. What if she’s called me and couldn’t contact me and now thinks I’m dead or something?-

I turn around, seriously freaked out.

Kevin’s standing in front of me holding out the phone to me.

“Here.”

I immediately take it and press the buttons at the speed of light-or at least that’s what it feels like.

When the first signal comes I realize something.

“What do I do if mom answers!?” I ask Kevin.

“Eh, I don’t know, I suggest you hang up?”

“Oh, right..”

“Hello, this is the Wong residence, may I ask who’s calling?” Ling-Ling(she’s Chinese), one of our maids answers.

I let out a sigh of relief.

“It’s me.” I say, in Chinese.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Kevin, looking confused. He doesn’t understand Chinese and hates it when I speak Chinese, that’s why I tend to insult him in Chinese whenever I’m angry with him, which is not very often.

“Amy? Where are you calling from? Aren’t you supposed to be grounded!? I thought you were in your room?” She asks worriedly.

“Don’t worry about it, I’m at Kevin’s and I’m coming home soon but the thing is..” I don’t know how to explain.. I look over at Kevin, who raises his eyebrows.

“You don’t want your mother to find out, right?” She understood me anyway.

“No.. she’s home right? I remember that she said she had an appointment, but I don’t know when and I really need get back without being caught. Ehe.” My voice goes lighter, as if the cuteness of my tone can somehow affect mom’s schedule.

I turn and look at Kevin who rolls his eyes, showing me that he found the tone I just used annoying. I stick my tongue out.

“Actually.. She’s not home. She went to see your dad.”

-Huh…!?-

“What? She’s on her way to Shanghai!?”

-I can’t believe it! Dad was mad at her too, why would she go and see him?-

“Yes and she told us to make sure you got home right after school while she’s gone.”

I bite my lip.

“So you could get in trouble if she found out you didn’t follow her instructions?”

“Well.. She said she’ll call when she arrives, which should be in two hours, so there’s no need to rush home, as long as you’re here when she calls.”

I immediately start smiling.

“Thank you, Ling-Ling! Can you please tell Mr. Kim to pick me up at Kevin’s as soon as possible?”

“Of course, Amy.”

After I hang up I turn around and face Kevin.

“Well..?” He asks.

”Mom’s on her way to see dad in Shanghai and she doesn’t know I snuck out last night.” I smile, and he looks really relieved. “But she’s going to call home and I need to be there then.”

Mimi’s POV:

Amy runs out of the room and Kevin follows her.

-what was that about?-

 Yun looks worried. “I hope everything’s okay.”

“Well if her mom hasn’t called her dad yet she might be able to convince her not to?” Dongho suggest.

“Yeah, I mean it’s not like she’ll call him and say ‘oh honey, right after you left she snuck out since I couldn’t keep an eye on her´” Kiseop makes a perfect imitation of a female voice and bats his eyelashes.

I chuckle.

“You’re right Kiseop, she won’t tell him. But, now to more important matters,” I lean back into the sofa and put my fingertips together. I fight the urge to say ‘I will give you an offer you can’t refuse’ when the others are looking at me and get straight to business, “what should we do to cheer Amy up?”

Dongho’s POV:

-Wow, after three minutes this is all they can come up with? Geez…-

“Guys she’ll be back anytime now and honestly, karaoke? It’s Saturday; It’s gonna be crowded with middle aged men drinking soju and besides, Amy sings everyday so what’s fun about that...? The cinema’s too expensive and that’s not really hanging out. The water park? She’s got her own pool in her basement! And no offence Kiseop… but we really can’t go skydiving.”

“And what do you suggest we do? Form a knitting club? Yeah, reaaaally exciting.” Mimi rolls her eyes.

“Just because I enjoy knitting from time to time it doesn’t mean my life revolves around it. I happen to know about an event that won’t be too crowded nor too expensive and it’s something you’ve never seen before.”

”Something we’ve never seen before? In Kiseop’s case, I’d say a book.” Yun smirked.

”Haha, really funny, Yun. But seriously Dongho, what did you have in mind?”

Kevin’s POV

When we get back to the living room everyone’s dead silent.

“Situation’s cleared- no need to worry.” I smile.

”Yeah, mom’s on her way to Shanghai as we speak. She didn’t even notice I was gone.”

“So she’ll be in Shanghai? That’ll make it easier.” Kiseop says cheerfully.

”Make what easier?” I ask.

”Yeah Kiseop, make WHAT easier?” Mimi glares at Kiseop.

”Eh.. Um, yeah, you know..? With you being grounded and all.” Dongho nervously adds.

Amy looks at the three of them for a few seconds.

-It’s so obvious that they’re up to something, even Amy can tell…-

”Oh right, I didn’t think of that!” Amy happily exclaims, ”I only need to get home and answer a call and then mom will think I’m staying at home!”

-…Or maybe she couldn’t tell.. She’s Amy after all-

I sigh.

Amy’s POV

-I KNOW they’re up to something, but since they wanna keep it a secret, sure, why not? I’ll find out in time, I’m THE Amy afterall-

After fooling around with everyone for a while I see the limo stop outside.

I say goodbye to everyone and as soon as the door closes, cutting off their voice, I feel a wave of loneliness.


______________________

I know that I'm a horrible author for not updating! But I really couldn't find any insperation. I promise I'll try to update more but I'm on a vacation right now and the only reason why I could sit down and write this was because of bad weather.. I'll do my best from now on since I really want to write this story until the end.