Chapter 02:

In sickness and in health, until death do us part

 

Flashback on 10 November 2009:

A day which JiHye took an extra effort to prepare for school. Cold sweats formed, giddy spells could be felt but Jihye disregard it thinking that it's just lethargy. The giddy spells went on and off; JiHye had a hard time concentrating in lessons.

Being at school with such symptoms, it was excruciating…

Finally, it was the last lesson for the day. JiHye took her time to leave the auditorium. However the giddy spells got worse, without knowing JiHye had fainted.


 

As DongHae was leaving the auditorium, he saw a girl walking with unsteady steps. Just when he was about to approach her to ask if she’s okay, she fell to the ground unconscious.
Panic overwhelmed DongHae as he checked for pulse. Oh boy was he glad that she
still had a pulse; he called for an ambulance.



As JiHye's parents were in Dr Lee's consultation room listening to the explanation of the diagnosis. DongHae was at JiHye’s bedside; though he doesn't know her personally, he felt that it was his responsibility to be there when she had come round.


In Dr Lee’s Consultation room:


Dr Lee: JiHye is diagnosed with chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome (CFIDS). She may experience exhaustion, extremely poor stamina or even problems with concentration and short-term memory....

In the midst of listening to the explanation of her daughter's diagnosis, JiHye’s mum can’t
help but to resent God. “Why are you so cruel? She’s only 17!! Why would you ruin her life like this?”

After listening to the explanation from Dr Lee, JiHye’s parents went to visit her in the ward.
There was a boy sitting beside their daughter's bedside.

Mr Park: You are?
DongHae: Hello, I’m DongHae, nice to meet you Mr Park. I’m the one who sent your daughter to the hospital
Mr Park: Oh, thanks for sending my daughter to the hospital
DongHae: You are most welcome. I hope she is okay?



As Mr Park was engaging in a conversation with a boy at her daughter’s bedside, tears welled up in Mrs Park’s eyes. Looking at the once radiant and joyful JiHye, how can such a lovable child be diagnosed with such a disease? Even Mr Park, a well-known Professor feels helpless over the plight of his child.

 

Resources :  http://www.cfids.org/about-cfids/symptoms.asp