Chapter 10

In sickness and in health, until death do us part

Donghae's thought was in a whirl when he started to understand the condition of Jihye and what the future holds for her. Could she still be the cheerful girl with a smile that brings warmth to the people around if she ever found out about her condition? Without realizing, Donghae was at their usual hangout, a place filled with many fond memories; from loggerheads to friends and to best friends. At that point, he spotted a girl so much like Jihye at the swing staring into space. He finally understood that it wasn't a platonic friendship; it was love from the very beginning. How can he do without Jihye for even a split second, the thought of her not being there drives him crazy! Unknowingly, Donghae sprinted to Jihye and hugged her.

 

Shock registered on Jihye's face as she was abruptly pulled up from her thoughts from a guy who hugged her. She pushed the guy and was about to hurl nasty comments when she noticed that it was Donghae whom have hugged her. "What happen, Hae-ya? Did something happen?" Jihye was beyond worried when there were no response but the hug just got tighter. 

 

"Hae, are you okay? I can't breathe with you holding me so tight". Donghae was brought out from his reverie and it took a minute or two that he realized he was holding onto Jihye. He stepped away and tried to smile but it failed to reach his eyes. Being upset was not something that Jihye had seen ever since the time when his family dog passed away due to old age.

 

Hae……”

 

“JiHye-ya, something left me thinking today. It’s something that I just realized and I think I should be honest with you. We became friends and you became a significant part in my life. I can’t lose you and I can’t imagine you not being in my life now. It makes me ponder, what would I do if I’d not met you?”

 

Jihye took a deep breath and said “Hae, I’m sick”.

 

With a comforting smile, Donghae replied I know and I’ll be there for you, no matter what."

Upon seeing Jihye's stunned expression, Donghae grinned and said “now you can’t get rid of me ever."