There's No Way Out

Neverland~Angels Against the Fallen

I could tell when Eli dropped me off at Alexander's cottage that something was bugging him. Maybe something I said back at the waterfall struck a nerve.

On the bright side, I have healing powers!! This is the kind of stuff you only read about in teen fantasy novels. And it's actually happening to me!!

As I opened the door to the cottage, I heard the sound like something was knocked over. Quietly, I walked through the living room listening for the source of the noise. Everything was quiet for a while. I had just stopped in front of the bedroom door when I heard a creaking sound. It sounded like someone or something was trying to get out of the window.

Throwing caution to the wind, I threw open the bedroom door and came face to face with the culprit.

"Dongho? What are you doing in here?" He looked nervous. "No--nothing. I was just getting a few things for Alexander." I wasn't convinced. "Is there something wrong with the front door?" "Huh?" "Well most people would prefer exiting through a door, but I guess a window works too."

I could tell I was making him very uncomfortable. I also could tell that he was lying through his teeth. I took a small step towards him; he flinched.

"We both know you're not telling me the truth. So what's the real reason you're here?" I saw Dongho's expression tense up even more. "I don't know what you're talking about." "Oh I think you do. Tell me why you're here!!"

Just as he was about to open his mouth, I heard someone step behind me.

"Autumn you should learn to mind your own business." I turned around to face Alexander. He finished, "You coming here has been the worst thing that could have ever happened to Neverland. This is exactly why humans aren't allowed here."

"Uh earth to Alexander. I didn't come here on purpose, okay. I thought you were supposed to be trying to figure out a way to get me home?"

He held his hand up to silence me. "We've exhausted any of our options." I looked at him confused. "In other words, you're stuck here. There's no way for you to go home."

Tears threatened to spill from my eyes. I tried desperately to blink them back, but the thought of never seeing my family again pushed them out. "You're lying!!! There has to be some way to get me home!!" "There isn't", Alexander shot back. I clenched my fists. "Fine if you're not going to help me, I'll just have to figure this out for myself."

Then I stormed out of the cottage and into the forest. I knew going in there was dangerous, but nothing mattered anymore. The angels, the fallen angels, Hoon, Eli, my healing abilities; none of it mattered.

As I was running, I tripped over a tree root and fell hard onto the ground. I didn't even care that I had scraped my knee. I just leaned against the nearby tree, bringing my knees to my chest, and sat there and cried.