Chapter 21

Childhood love

 The final exams are around the corner; every student are busy preparing for it trying to score the highest mark possible. This marks will be use to apply for prospective university and universities may also offer scholarship to some students. Jaejoong kept himself busy with exams preparation and avoided thinking about Yunho. He made sure he arrived in class earlier than Yunho and be among the first few students to leave class. He would, however, hear Yunho name pop up every few time as Yunho as a brilliant student and so classmates would ask for his help regarding homework.

Jaejoong turn to his left and see Hyunjoong paying much attention in class and taking down notes trying not to miss anything. He knew he could not burden Hyunjoong with his problems and his parents especially his mother. He turned to look straight at the board and did his best to understand the lesson being taught. He could not afford disappoint his surrounding again and… himself again. He felt disgusted with himself. He was the third wheel in Yunho and Jessica relationship, the one responsible to destroy whatever beautiful relationship they shared.   

The sound of the bell marked the end of classes for that day. Jaejoong quickly collected all his school materials to leave when Hyunjoong reach out to hold his wrist stopping his from leaving. He turned around and waited for hyunjoong to say something as Hyunoong withdraw his hands. “Jae, would you like to campany me to the library I need to buy some practice textbook?”

“of course” answered Jaejoong as he turns around and advance forward knowing that Hyunjoong world follow him. He knew that was yet another attempt of Hyunjoong trying to cheer him up. But he did not need that… he was fine in his own weird way. He needs to put aside his problems and focus on exams right now and he knew that was what Hyunjoong was also trying to tell him without hurting him. And he respected Hyunjoong greatly for that.

As they are leaving the school grounds and now walking side by side Jaejoong said “I’m sorry for worrying you”

“That okay, that’s what friends are for”

“I really need to start focusing more revising”

“That you need to that I don’t feel like I’m the only one being punished between us two”

“What”

“What what… you are in your own world half of the time and I’m the only one complaining between us that unfair” Hyunjoong said jokingly.

“Then you need not worry… I will help you from now on”

“That better… I miss mine friend who is always smiling even when things get tough… but I am happy that you cry when you are sad that you having a fake smile”

“Hyunjoong I…”

“I know you are hurt and feeling betrayed that okay you are human after all… oh we are already here let go” said Hyunjoong as he reached for the door of the library.

“Wait for me” replied Jaejoong as Hyunjoong enter the library without waiting for him.

“I’ll also buy some practice textbook so that we can practice together”

“ohh that’s cute are you worried about me”

“Yah I’m being serious right now” said jaejoong faking being angry.

“Ohh you are so cute Jae… okay on a serious note Iet’s choose which book to we’ll buy”

“Yes let’s do that” reply Jaejoong.

Both Hyunjoong and Jaejoong was completedly unaware that they had someone undivided attention. Yunho missed Jaejoong but he did not dare to approach the two friends who was bickering. It’s been one month since he said those harsh words to jaejoong since then this is the first time he saw jaejoong have any expression beside being sad. He followed Jaejoong with his eyes and watch them walk around the different aisle choosing which book they will buy. After looking around for several minutes, he saw they finally choosing some books and went to the counter to pay.

Jaejoong could feel that they are being watched and look around and saw some students but he could not find any classmate or someone that he knew in particular.

“Jae… let’s go” said hyunjoong as he saw jaejoong stop walking.

“Yes Let’s go… I think we are being watched” whispered Jaejoong to Hyunjoong.

“Stop being silly and paranoid… we are not some celebrity to be followed by the paparazzi” said Hyunjoong was he started laughing.

“Hey I’m saying the truth”

“let’s pass the exams with flying colours and then become some celebrity in the future to fulfil this wish of yours” answered Hyunjoong as he continued laughing.

“This kid” said Jaejoong pouting and following Hyunjoong as they leave the library.

Hyunjoong did his best to laugh it out as a joke but he had really seen Yunho in the library the moment he had enter, that why he did his best to keep jaejoong engage in a conversation. Jaejoong had just decided to move on. Is it really move on?... he does not know. But just when Jaejoong finally decide to get out of whatever depressive/sad emotional state he was… he did not want him to be sad again. He himself knows how hard it is to be away from the person who owns his heart.

“So when do we start practice” asked Jaejoong.

“For today, let go home and rest as from tomorrow we can stay for after school revision in the school library. It will be open till late until exams are over”

“That’s a cool plan… see you tomorrow”

“I’ll walk you home” offered Hyunjoong.

“No I’ll be fine my home is not that far” answered Jaejoong.

“I thought you are celebrity having paparazzi following around and need a knight in shining armour to protect you” replied Hyunjoong as he laughed.

“Even the knight need to rest at times and besides tell the knight that he is protecting a king in the making so I’ll be fine” answered jaejoong laughing along Hyunjoong.

“Aye Aye See you tomorrow”

“See you tomorrow” Said Jaejoong as he turns around and walk home.

Hyunjoong also started walking home when he felt his phone ringing. He looked at the caller ID and could not stop him from smiling. He picked up the call as he went home.

“Hi… I miss you” said the person on the other end.

“I miss too Kyujongie” answered Hyunjoong happily.

Once Jaejoong reached home, Mrs kim was very happy to find that his son smiling.

“Jae, Welcome home”

“Umma”

“You must be hungry… let’s can eat together”

“Sure”

“Jae, is everything going well at school?”

 “Yes, Umma, we are preparing for exams and as from tomorrow Hyunjoong and I will stay late for revision at school”

“Do your best son, Umma knows you can do well”

“Umma, Jaejoong is sorry to have made you worry and being a bad son” said Jaejoong as he looked at his mother.

“Jae it’s okay… as your parents will always be worried about you, you need not to worry just focus on your studies… everything will be fine” said Mrs Kim with a calm tone. “But don’t you dare to bad mouth my son… he is the best son a mother could ask for” said Mrs Kim proudly.

The room become engulf with silence for some seconds before both Jaejoong and his mother started laughing in a fit of laughter. Tears lingering in the corners of their eyes as they continue laughing for several minutes before they calm down and continue eating while having joyful conversations.