6

Developing Friendship

My phone vibrated for the hundreth time today. I glanced at it and sighed.

For the past teo hours Baro has been non-stop sending me texts rambling about this girl he’s beginning to have interest in. It was the same girl that he took out when we went on that stupid double date that one time. Apparently, the two of them are starting to hang out more and, as Baro claims, things are starting to "heat up" between the two of them.

But whatever. I’m perfectly fine with the two of them dating. Or, as Baro says, “Just getting to know each other more”. But hell, maybe now he can finally have a distraction and leave me alone for a bit.

Two weeks have past by and the little “argument” going on between my parents is still going on. The tension between the two of them hasn’t faded an inch yet and it’s actually becoming more awkward to be in the same room with them. So I try to avoid them at all cost. Not really something a son should be doing, but it's not as if I really have any other choice.

“Junghwan, are you even listening to me?”

I blinked, taking myself away from my thoughts and looked up at the puppy eyes looking straight at me. Man, did they remind me a lot like Baro's

“Don’t call me that.”

Gongchan rolled his eyes and crossed his arms, sinking into his seat. “So you weren’t listening, were you?”

“Of course not,” I mumbled before putting my attention back to the class assignment we were doing.

“I asked if you wanted to hang out next period,” Gongchan said as he sat back up straight and smiled at me. “Want to?”

“Not really.”

Gongchan frowned and sank back into his seat. “You’re such a bummer.”

I sighed as I finished up the last question in the packet and handed it to Gongchan to copy off of. “I’m sorry,” I mumbled when he took it out of my hand, “I have things on my mind.”

“Like what?”

“Just stuff.” Like my stupid parents with their stupid fighting. It’s been getting on my nerves and if they continue with it, I’m going to explode.

“Well it’s obvious you need to get those thoughts out for a little while. Since next period is the last period of the day, why not you and I leave the school’s ground and hang out?”

“I thought only legible seniors are allowed to leave school’s ground.”

Gongchan looked around; making sure nobody was listening before leaning in close to my ear. “Which is why we sneak out,” he whispered.

“No.” I pushed Gongchan’s face away from mine. “No.” I repeated.

“Why not?” Gongchan asked with a pout.

“Because, I can’t afford it if we get caught.”

“We’re not going to get caught.”

“Yes we are. So, no.”

Gongchan frowned but decided not to push any further about this stupid topic. Only an idiot like him would want to sneak out of school. Even if it’s just the last period of the day and neither one of us has a class to attend, it’s still against the school’s rule to just leave without a parent’s permission. Trust me; I think it’s a stupid rule too, but whatever.

My phone vibrated again and I suddenly remembered that I forgot to text Baro back. Then again, I wasn’t so thrilled with the conversation we were having. I could care less about the girl he’s having interest with.

From: she thinks im funny too!

To: Well, that’s odd.

From: y is that odd

To: Because your jokes aren’t really that funny. They’re kind of lame actually.

From: ur just jealous that a cute girl like Haejung isnt laughing at ur jokes

To: Well, she’s too tall for my liking anyways. So either way, I’m ok with it.

From: shes not that tall. only by a little nd she told me she stopped growing so i might pass her soon

 To Baro: Might.

 From Baro: shut up -_-

I chuckled at his response and began writing him a text back.

“Talking to your girlfriend again?”

I frowned and looked up at Gongchan, who was leaning forward as he was trying to take a peek at my phone.

“No,” I mumbled as I quickly covered my phone. “And it’s a guy for your information.”

“Oh, so your boyfriend?” Gongchan gave me cheeky smile.

“No.”

Gongchan chuckled and at that moment the bell rang. Finally, class is over and I can now get away from this annoying brat. I still don’t understand how I always end up agreeing to do classwork with him.

I walked out of the classroom and was getting ready to head towards the library, when a hand suddenly grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

“Alright, if you won’t sneak out with me, at least let’s just hang out this period then. Since we don’t have class.” Gongchan tried giving me an innocent look. But it just annoyed me.

I looked over at Gongchan and frowned. “Fine,” I said, “But I’m going to the library. If you want to "hang out" then you can come along. If not, then it’s your lost.” I pulled my arm away from Gongchan’s grip and went ahead without him. I wasn’t expecting him to actually tag along, since Gongchan doesn’t seem like the kind of person who likes quiet places.

I know I said before that I hated libraries, but the school’s library is an exception. The only reason I actually like this library is because no one is hardly ever in it and the librarians always leave you alone.

I entered the library, with Gongchan following right behind. I went to sit all the way in the back, where I normally always sat. It was the furthest table away from everybody else and away from the librarians eyes.

The moment I sat down, I immediately took out my phone and continued texting Baro, hoping Gongchan would get bored and leave. The only time Baro is ever useful to me is when I need a distraction from something else.

But of course, Gongchan wasn’t going to go away any time soon.

“So this is what you do during your free time?” Gongchan asked as he looked around at all the books on the shelves, “Pretty boring.”

“You can always leave, you know,” I said as I put my phone on the table, “The doors right over there.” I pointed towards where the exit was, but Gongchan eyes landed on something else. Well, someone else.

Gongchan grabbed me by the collar and pulled me so that our faces were close. A little too close for my comfort. “W-what are you doing?” I asked as I tried pushing him back.

“You didn’t tell me Jinyoung was going to be here,” Gongchan snapped at me in a whisper.

“Who?”

“Jinyoung.” He pointed to this really pretty boy who was on one of the school’s computer.

“Oh, him.” I’ve seen him a lot at the library. Just like me, he sends his free period here. But he actually does his homework and stuff while he’s here. I just text Baro the whole time. “What about him?”

“What about him?” Gongchan repeated as if it was the stupidest question he’s ever heard, “He’s perfect!”

“W-What?”

“Look at him,” Gongchan said as he forced my head to turn and look at the kid, “Look at that pretty face. And that clear skin and that soft looking hair. That’s completely inhuman.”

“What are you talking about?” I said as I waved his hands away from me. “Don’t touch me.”

“I have this theory, Sandeul,” well, that’s the first time he ever called me Sandeul without any hesitation, “It’s impossible for someone to be so perfect looking like him and still be single.”

“Yeah. So?”

“So? I think he’s a robot. Or a spy. So something that can explain his existence.”

“You’re crazy.”

“No I’m not!” Gongchan snapped, “You explain to me how someone like him can exist?”

“Ok,” I mumbled as I glanced over to where Jinyoung was sitting, completely unaware of our conversation about him, “Well, maybe he’s single because he doesn’t want to date? And maybe he looks pretty because of genetics? You know, that thing you get from your parents.”

“I know what genetics are. I’m not stupid.”

“Your grades prove otherwise.”

Gongchan rolled his eyes and sat up, “Either way, I’m going to prove to you that something is up with- Look! He’s moving!”

Jinyoung stood up and began walking towards the other side of the library room.

“Look at him;” Gongchan whispered loudly, “He even walks like an angel.”

All Jinyoung did was go to the printer and retrieve a couple of papers before going back to his computer.

Wow. So angelic.

I rolled my eyes and went back to paying my attention to Baro and his texts. He was still rambling about that Haejung girl, but it was better than having to listen to Gongchan rambling about Jinyoung. Then again, I'd rather not listen to either of them.

“Sandeul.”

I sighed and looked up at Gongchan. “What?”

“I’m going to spy on him for a bit, ok?” Before I could even respond, Gongchan stood up and quiet walked over to where Gongchan was. He sat down in the computer next to him, and pretended to do something on it, taking obvious glances at Jinyoung every now and then.

I sighed.

Why do I always get myself stuck with the weird people?

--

“Crap.”

I watched as the last bus left the school’s ground.

Stupid Gongchan. If I didn’t have to spend a lot of time trying to get him off my back then I would have made it to the school’s busses before they left. But of course, I just had to miss it. Just my luck.

I glanced up at the sky and frowned. It looks as though it’s going to rain soon and I didn't even have an umbrella. Having to walk in this weather is not good at all.

I sighed as I put my hoodie on and frowned at the sky. Hopefully I could make it home before it starts to rain hard.

I don’t mind walking in the rain actually. In fact, it’s quite relaxing for me. But it’s too much of a hassle to change out of the wet clothes. And I couldn’t afford getting sick.

I began walking home, and it soon began to drizzle. It wasn’t that bad. I could still walk without having to worry. And texting Baro was able to keep myself distracted from the raindrops. But on my way home, my stupid phone died.

But it wasn’t until it began showering that I had to run inside the closest building I could find. Which just so happened to be a small family deli. It was small and nobody was in it except for two other customers.

I walked up to the counter and looked around, hoping there was somebody I could talk to. I needed to fine a phone and call my mom to let her know I was coming home late due to the rain. I didn't want her to worry.

“Excuse me?” I called out as I nervously tapped on the bell that they had on the counter. This was way too much work just so I could find a stupid phone.

“Hello?” I tapped it one more time and frowned. Where the hell are these people?

Finally, the back door opened and somebody holding onto a large box came out. The box covered their face, but it was obvious that the person was a male and around my age.

“Can you hold on for a minute? I just need to put this box away.”

That voice sounded way too familiar.

The person put the box down at one of the corners and then stood up and looked over at me.

The moment we made eye contact, my eyes widen.