17

Developing Friendship

I don't know what this is orz
Longer charpters will start coming soon!


I continued to sit on Baro’s bed while my mind tried to replay what just happened in the last 10 minutes. I subconsciously my lips and glanced at the door in hopes that Baro wasn’t going to come back anytime soon. I needed to clear my mind before I could even look at him again.

I have no idea what Baro meant when he said he was going to make me “fall in love” and a part of me really didn’t want to know. I wasn’t sure if he meant for me to fall for his kiss, or for him. But what was worst was that I couldn’t tell if he was kidding or not.

We were just playing at first, but the seriousness in his eyes made me feel completely skeptical about the whole thing and it made me wonder when the whole thing stopped becoming a joke.

I suddenly felt something vibrating beside me and when I looked down on the bed, I saw that it was a phone. It was Baro’s cellphone and I figured it must have fell out of his pocket when he jumped on top of me.

I picked up the phone to see why it was vibrating when I saw that he received a text from someone under the name ‘Princess.’’ I frowned at the name, wondering who the hell this Princess was. The context of the message was shown on the phone screen and, because of my curiosity, I couldn't help but wonder what Princess wanted.

Princess: are you busy, cutie? let’s go out :*

I stared at the message for a long time before turning the screen off.

I had completely forgotten all about Baro’s little girlfriend. What was her name again? Haejung, I believe. It’s been a while since Baro last mentioned her, but then again, it’s been a while since I’ve last had a one-on-one talk with Baro.

I wonder how she would feel if she suddenly found out Baro was seconds away from kissing another person, especially when that person was a guy. Then again, the two weren’t even dating yet, as far as I know, and Baro probably wasn’t even going to kiss me. He was probably just trying to tease me until I got really flustered so he could spend the rest of the day making fun of me. Let’s just say, his plan worked.

I took out my own phone and sent a quick message to Baro. I will admit, I was a bit curious. If he had Haejung under the name Princess, I wondered what he had me named as on his contacts list.

It wasn’t long until Baro’s phone vibrated again and when I read the name that popped up, my face completely heated up. I quickly turned the off the screen and threw the phone back on the bed when I saw the bedroom door opening and Baro walking back in.

“Sorry about that, Deullie,” he said. He closed the door behind him and began walking towards me. “My mom wanted to let me know that she won’t be coming home until tomorrow night.”

Baro tried sitting back on the bed beside me and I felt my face heat up again. I quickly jumped off the bed and stupidly moved as far as I could without making it look like I was obviously trying to get away from the kid. Which I kind of was, in a way.

“What are you-”

“I just got a message from my mom.” The lie left my lips without me even realizing it. “She wants me home.”

The disappointment on Baro’s face didn’t go unnoticed and I all I wanted to do was take my words back, but for some reason I couldn’t.

“Oh, okay. I’ll walk you to the front door-”

“No, it’s okay. I can do that myself.” Without looking at Baro, I grabbed my school bag from the floor and headed towards the bedroom door. “I’ll see you later, I guess.” I didn’t bother saying a proper goodbye when I left the room.

I walked down the stairs, letting out a tired sigh, and stopped when I reached the foot of the staircase. The maid was in the middle of mopping the living room floor and I wasn’t sure whether I should just continue walking or wait until she let me through. It’ll be rude to walk on something that she just finished cleaning and I already haven’t given her a good first impression, I didn’t want to make things worst.

But it didn’t take long until she noticed I was standing there. She leaned the mop against the closest wall before turning to face me. “Is there something you need, sir?”

I just realized how awkward it was being called sir, especially by someone who was older.

“I was just leaving,” I mumbled.

“Thank you for visiting,” Minjung said with a bow. “Please, come by whenever you like.”

I awkwardly bowed back. It was no wonder why I hated meeting new people; I was terrible at it. I walked past the maid and towards the front door, hoping that I could just get out and leave all this awkward feeling behind me.

“It would really mean a lot.”

I froze before I managed to reach the door and turned to look at Minjung, who was giving me a look I couldn't quite read. “Excuse me?” I asked.

“You see, I’ve been working for Sunwoo- I mean Baro’s and his family for quite some time and I grew quite fond of them. Especially Baro.”

I wasn’t sure how to react with that information. It wasn’t like I had asked her about her relationship with Baro or anything.

“It’s a shame that I can’t be here all the time. I know Sunwoo-” The maid paused for a minute and sighed before correcting herself, “Baro. I know Baro gets very lonely by himself here, especially since his parents are always working.”

“Why are you telling me this?” I didn’t mean to sound rude, I really didn’t. But I hated the pitiful look she was giving me and how affectionate she sounded when she started talking about Baro.

She seemed a bit taken back by my question and I’m sure the dull expression I was giving her wasn’t making me look any better. So much for making a good first impression. I think I should really work on showing more emotions on my face. “It’s just,” she said a little hesitantly, “Baro doesn’t bring many friends over and you’re the first I’ve seen a quite a long time. I’m just really happy.”

I wasn’t sure how to respond. This was the first time I’ve ever heard about Baro not having other friends. And now that I think about it, Baro never talked about any of his other friends to me either. I always just assumed he was Mr. Popular because of his personality and that he must have had tons of friends other than me.

“I’m terribly sorry!” The maid suddenly said as she bowed to me. “You seemed like you were in a hurry and I’m making you stay back. Please, go ahead, sir.” She bowed to me once more before turning back to the mop and completely ignoring me once again.

I stood there for a couple of more seconds before I turned around myself and left the house. I walked down a couple of blocks, my mind completely blank. I tried not think about what happened at Baro’s house. It seems like everytime I go there, it brings me nothing but trouble.

For now, It’s best to just push everything out of my mind and forget whatever happened today.

--

The next few days went by like hell. It was a non-stop struggle trying to get Jaehyun and Baro to stop fighting every 3 minutes.  The two couldn’t even stand near each other without spitting harsh words and sending dark glares to each other. I tried to hold in all my annoyance  and not lash out at the two idiots. Things will go bad the day I finally explode.

And it seemed that Namsoo not only stole Jinyoung’s heart, but he somehow managed to steal Gongchan’s as well. Along with half of the school body. He was quite a charmer, I’ll have to admit.

“Namsoo said he even went skydiving once. How cool is that!”

I slightly glared at Gongchan as he spent another class period rambling on about how cool Namsoo was. I still couldn’t believe Gongchan hasn’t noticed their physical similarities yet, and it makes me wonder if Gongchan is just that thick-headed or stupid.

“He told me he’s taking Jinyoung out to a baseball game this saturday night. I’m so jealous. I want to go see the game too.”

I rolled my eyes at Gongchan’s pout and leaned into my seat. I was already done with the class assignment and all I had left to do was wait for this brat to copy so that I could hand it in. “Don’t you think it’s a little weird,” I asked Gongchan while raising an eyebrow, “Jingyoung and Namsoo are getting really close.”

“It’s understandable. They’re the same age so they probably have the most in common.” Gongchan waved his hand at me, as if trying to brush off the topic.

“But it’s a little strange. A month ago, he was attached to you. Now he’s suddenly glued to the new kid.”

Gongchan frowned at me while lowering his hand. He thought for a moment before flashing me a bright smile. “Jinyoung still loves me,” he said with full confidence in his voice, “I’ll always be his favorite.”

“I don’t know,” I mumbled. “I haven’t seen you two hanging  out alone anymore.” I’ll admit, it was fun teasing Gongchan. The flustered face he was trying to hide was quite amusing and it wasn’t like I actually meant anything I said. Well, not completely. It’s true that Jinyoung and Namsoo have gotten close these past couple of days, but I doubt that Jinyoung was going to completely throw Gongchan out of his heart. He has too much of a soft-spot for the little brat.

But I probably went a little too far, because during our free period, Gongchan did  whatever he could to have Jinyoung’s full attention. Whenever Namsoo even tried saying a word, whether it was towards Jinyoung or not, Gongchan quickly jumped in and tried changing the topic. I felt a little sorry for Namsoo, but then again, it wasn’t my problem. I just pointed out the facts.

“I don’t get this one.” Baro pointed one of the questions on his math homework sheet. I glanced down at the question and frowned.

“It’s the same as the problem before. Just plug in the new numbers.”

Baro was spending the free period catching up on his classes, which caught me by surprise. I didn’t take Baro as someone who was serious in school. He seemed like he would’ve been one of those kind of guys who just slacked off and somehow managed to still pass.

“Wait, like this?” Baro leaned in close so that our shoulders were practically touching and barely left any space between us as he showed me his work on the sheet.

“Yeah,” I said after checking his work. “Except, you got the math wrong.” I reached for the pencil on the table when it was suddenly snatched away from me.

I looked over at Jaehyun, who was sitting on the other side of me, and was sending me and Baro a heavy glare.

“Do you guys really need to be that close?” He muttered, his fingers playing with the pencil in his hand.

I sighed and held my palm out. I had enough of these two arguing all the time, that I stopped responding to their useless blabbering. “Just give me the pencil.”

Jaehyun shot Baro another glare and received a glare back before placing the pencil in my hands. “Do you guys really need to be that close?” he repeated again. This time a pout was forming on his lips.

“As a matter of fact, yes.” Baro smirked at Jaehyun and grabbed pulled me closer, which I thought was impossible. “Deullie promised to help me with my work, so I need him beside me.”

Jaehyun rolled his eyes and leaned back into his chair, his arm crossed against his chest and a pout now fully formed on his lips. I let out another sigh before going back to Baro’s worksheet. I wasn’t even going to worry about Jaehyun.

It seemed that whenever I put more attention on one of the idiots, the other would getting into a grumpy mood and act like a five-year-old who just got scolded.

Baro and I continued to work on the sheet, while Jaehyun sat there in silence. You could feel the anger and jealousy flowing out from him.

Baro hasn’t brought up the whole “almost kiss” thing and I was completely glad that he didn’t. It was awkward seeing him the next day, but when I noticed Baro acting as though nothing had happened, everything went back to normal quite fast. It was is that whole day never happened. But a part of me was still a little annoyed. I wasn’t sure why, but I’m sure Baro is the reason for it.

Namsoo, Gongchan and Jinyoung were in their own little world across the library table and Jaehyun was too busy being moody that I hardly paid any attention to any of them. For once, I felt a little peace at school without having all these brats annoying the crap out of me.

“Deullie, can you explain this one again?” Baro pointed at the last question and spoke in such a low voice, I almost missed him.

“Which one?” I asked, missing where he pointed at.

He grabbed me by the left hand and guiding me to the question. “This one,” he mumbled, but even after he showed me the question, he still didn’t let go of my hand. It was a little weird, but I had gotten used to Baro being so touchy that I didn’t think much of it.

He continued to hold onto my hand as I re-explained the question to him. I could feel him slowly playing with my fingers, but I assumed that he was probably too distracted with my explanation that he was unaware he was doing it himself.

It wasn’t until I was pulled away that Baro stopped.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Jaehyun snapped. He was standing up now and holding onto me tightly as he was giving Baro a death glare. “Didn’t I tell you to keep your hands off of Deul?”

Baro stood up and glared back. “Since when do I have to listen to you?” he snapped back.

“I don’t want your dirty hands on my Deul, alright.”

“Deullie isn’t yours.”

“Stop calling him that, you creep.” Jaehyun’s voice was getting louder and Baro’s voice was going up as well.

“I can call him whatever I want. Deullie, Deullie, Deullie!”

“It’s Deul, not Deullie!”

By now the two idiots were practically shouting in each other faces and I was completely long forgotten. Gongchan and the others were staring at the fighting brats with a look  of confusion and I became worried because sooner or later the librarian was going to scold us for being too loud, but I could tell that Baro and Jaehyun weren’t going to stop anytime soon.

“You know, everything would have been so much better if you weren’t here,” Jaehyun snapped. “You’re just a big annoyance to everyone around you. Especially to Deul.”

“And you’re just a burden to him,” Baro snapped back.

“No I’m not. I’m his best friend!”

“No, I am!”

“Neither of you are!”

Everything became quiet as all eyes turned to look at me. My fist were clenched and I was shooting both the idiots a hard stare. “Neither of you are my best friend,” I said, my voice still harsh, “Both of you guys are annoying brats that I wished I never meet. I’m tired of having to hear you constant arguing and if you guys are just going to keep being like this, then don’t bother to even come near me.”

I didn’t bother to wait for a response or a reaction. I turned around and stormed out of the library. I wanted to get out of there as fast as I could and get away from all of them. Each one of them was annoying the hell out of me. I don’t think I can handle this anymore.

-

I was barely down the hall when I heard a pair of footsteps running after me.

“Sandeul, wait!”

I stopped and turned to look at the person. “What?”

Jinyoung managed to catch up with me and after catching his breath, flashed me a  bright smile. “Want to tell me what’s going on?”

I stared at Jinyoung for a few seconds. Out of everyone in the group, I suppose I could Jinyoung was the only slightly sane one. Although he acts like a schoolgirl whenever Namsoo is around, he’s still the same Jinyoung as before.

“Fine.”