15

Developing Friendship

“I swear; you two have 20 seconds to explain why on Earth you’re here before I decide to rip your balls off and feed it to raccoons.”

Baro and Jaehyun stared at me for a few seconds, glared over at each other, and then looked right back at me. “Surprise?” They both said while pulling the most innocent look they could form.

Oh god, why me?

-

“Three students.” I stared at Mr. Chae for what seemed like forever as I tried to process what he just said in my head. I’m not going to show one new student around, I’ll be showing three. Three.

“You’re kidding, right?” I asked. But Mr. Chae just gave me a smile that obviously showed he wasn’t kidding nor that he found it odd that three different students are all transferring on the same day.

“I’m not doing it.” I stood up and was completely ready to go straight back to class because even class was better than being stuck here, but Mr. Chae grabbed me by the arm and pulled me back into my seat. I let out a groan and glared at him.

“Sandeul, don’t make me take out the folder.”

“You wouldn’t.”

Mr. Chae smirked and went over to sit behind his desk. He reached into his file cabinet and took at an all too familiar blue folder. The only folder one this planet that I have so much hatred for. The folder contained all my grades and attendance from when I started high school. I was a good student, I will admit, but my attendance could use a little help. Or a lot of help.

Whenever Mr. Chae wants me to do something for him, he’ll always threaten to show my mother the folder. I don’t think she’ll be too thrilled that her only son had attended Finical Class for only a week and then suddenly gave up going completely.

“It says in here, Sandeul, that you’re repeating Health Class again this year. Is that correct?” Mr. Chae asked as he began looking through the papers.

“Yes.”

“And the reason is?”

“I never attended class last year."

Mr. Chae chuckled at my straight forward answer. He placed the folder back on his desk and then grinned at me. “Then, I have a proposition for you. How about, you show the new kids around, and I’ll make it so that you won’t need to take Health Class anymore.”

I remained quiet for a minute, just staring at Mr. Chae before sinking deeper into my chair. “Continue,” I said, now completely interested in what he had to say.

“Do this for me and I’ll have it so that you’ll only need to take Health for the rest of the first semester, instead of taking it for the whole school year.”

“Can you really do that?”

“Of course! I’m Mr. Chae. I can do anything.” Mr. Chae grinned and rested his hand under his chin. “And since the semester is almost over, you only have to go for a couple of more weeks.”

I bit my bottom lip as I began thinking everything over. I admit, this doesn’t sound too bad of a deal. But the thought of having to show three people around a school I absolutely hate still made me a bit hesitate. But then again, not having to deal with Mr. Park so early in the morning anymore is starting to sound better and better each second.

And so before I knew it, I was being forced into the Principal’s office to meet the new students.

But it was just my damn luck that I recognized all three of them.

I’m not sure if I’m stuck in some kind of poorly written high school story or what, but this is just way too ridiculous and cliché. Seriously.

The moment I saw both Baro and Jaehyun sitting in the principal office, an obvious tense aura hanging between the two, I was completely ready to just run out the school and never look back. Hell, I was even considering changing my name and moving to the Philippines. And not only were the two of them there, but that kid that looked like he could be Gongchan’s twin was sitting right in between them.

Oh the ing irony.

 And due to the fact that I was still in shock at the whole situation, I didn’t hear a thing the principal was telling me while I was in his office. The only thing I can remember him saying is that I needed to show the new kids their classroom, show them the school, and that I’m going to be stuck with them for the whole school day.

Now that I think about it, having to take Health class for the whole year doesn’t sound too bad after all.

--

I glared over at Baro and Jaehyun, who were still flashing their innocent smiles at me, and all I wanted to do at that moment was slam their heads against the wall. “I’ll ask again,” I said slowly, “What the hell are you two doing here?”

Jaehyun sighed. “Look, Deul,” he began. He grabbed me by the wrist, not only earning a glare from me but one from Baro as well.

Because the Principal figured it was the best place to start, the four of us were walking towards the school’s cafeteria. I figured that I might as well also grab myself some breakfast seeing that it was still only first period and I haven’t had a decent meal since last Friday.

"I was going to surprise you about transferring here," Jaehyun tried to smile but the glare I was giving him caused his smile to quickly fall off his face.

Baro coughed on the sidelines before grabbed my other wrist and pulling me away from Jaehyun. "I, on the other hand, had no idea that Deullie came to this school. So if anything, you shouldn't get mad at me."

I raised an eyebrow at Baro, not sure if I should really believe his words or not. He was right when he said that he didn't know I came to this school, seeing that I never told him which school I exactly went to. But that didn't mean he could've gone around finding out on his own.

Jaehyun scoffed, grabbing me again and pulling me away from Baro this time. "Obviously you're a lousy friend of you don't even know what school Deul goes to."

Baro rolled his eyes and tried pulling me back to him, but Jaehyun kept a firm grip on my wrist. "I'm sorry I'm not a creepy stalker like you." By now the two of them were practically pulling my arms off and any second now my arms might pop off. I tried sending a look for help at Gongchan’s lookalike, but he just gave me a confused look in return.

"What did you call me?" Jaehyun snapped.

"You heard me." Baro snapped right back.

I rolled my eyes and quickly pulled my arms away from both their grips and took a huge step back. By now we were standing in the middle of the hallway and I had a feeling the school bell was going to ring any minute. The last thing I wanted was to get these kids lost from the stampede that happens between each period. And also, the students here always love messing around with the new kids.

"Both of you shut up," I said, giving them both a glare. "The last thing I want is for some teacher to come out here thinking that a fight is going on."

Baro and Jaehyun glared at each other before taking a step away.

Great, not only are they now attending the same school as me but I'll have to deal with the silent rivalry that have between each other. Somebody is going to have their head ripped off by the end of the school year and I can promise you that person won't be me.

"Um, excuse me. I'm completely confused."

All our eyes turned to the Gongchan look alike, who was rubbing the nape of his neck and had his eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he stared back.

I let out an annoyed sigh. "There's nothing for you to be confused about," I muttered. "Look, let's just get to the cafeteria before the second bell rings. It'll be easy to show you guys around once the hallways are empty."

I didn't bother to wait for their response before I quickly turned around and headed straight to the cafeteria.

The three willingly followed me and I was a little glad at the fact that none of them were annoying me at the moment. Well, if you excuse the fact that Jaehyun and Baro were practically pushing each other just so that they could walk besides me. At the end I had them both walk on either of my sides just to get them to stop.

We finally entered the cafeteria and I immediately told the three of them to sit down at a table (I made sure the Gongchan's lookalike was sitting in between the annoying brats) before I went to go get breakfast for myself. I offered the three if they wanted anything to eat but they all claimed that they had already ate. 

I stood on line with the other students who were waiting for breakfast. I strongly believe that the only good thing this school has to offer is the food. And it’s not even all that good.

Honestly, I’m surprised I still haven’t ripped out my hair yet due to all this frustration, confusion, and most of all; annoyance. I was practically begging to myself, hoping that this was some kind of sick prank that Baro and Jaehyun decided to pull on me and they just so happened to drag that Gongchan's lookalike along with them for whatever reason. I wanted to ram myself into the wall in hopes that I'll wake up from this terrible dream. But too bad this wasn’t a dream. It was pure reality.

The idea that both Baro and Jaehyun are now going to be attending this school just leaves me completely speechless. I'm not sure if it’s because of the idea that I now have to be in the same school with them or if it’s the fact that neither one of them bothered to tell me.

I let out a sigh as I paid for the school's breakfast, an egg-cheese sandwich, and went back to sit with the boys. I was considering just ditching them and leaving school so I didn't have to deal with all this, but if I left Baro and Jaehyun alone any longer I don't think I can imagine what they'd do to each other. They’d probably end up on the 6 o’clock news or something.

I sighed as I got closer to the table. The glares that Baro and Jaehyun were sending each other we're obviously beginning to scare the Gongchan lookalike and I almost felt bad for the kid. But hey, better him than me.

I sat down besides Jaehyun, ignoring the pout Baro sent me, and went straight to eat my breakfast. I hardly ever get to eat breakfast so I wasn't going to let this chance go to waste. But I soon felt three pairs of eyes staring at me and, as I mentioned many times before, I hate being stared at.

"Don't look at me," I muttered, taking another bite from the egg-cheese and sent a glare at the three boys. Only the Gongchan lookalike was smart enough to look away.

I let out a sigh before putting my food down and looked back at the three new kids. "I suppose we should get this stupid tour over with," I began, "Alright. So, obviously if you look around, this is the school’s cafeteria. From first to third period, the cafeteria serves breakfast. From fourth and onwards, they serve lunch. If you want any type of snack," I pointed to a square hole that was in the wall all the way on the other side of the room, "You'll have to go there. It’s called a snack shack or whatever. I’m not sure."

The three boys looked around the cafeteria. It was quite empty, seeing that hardly anybody had free first period and those who did were lucky bastards. I didn’t find the cafeteria anything special. Then again, I was used to it. Despite being middle class, I don't find the rich life-style all that amazing.

"And if you also haven't noticed," I said, "This is an all-boys school. So Baro," I especially glared at Baro a frowned, "There are no chicks for you to flirt with."

"I knew that already," Baro muttered under his breath, his cheeks blushing into a light pink color.

"So wait," the Gongchan lookalike spoke up, "You guys already know each other?" He blinked in confusion and frowned. 

I glanced at both Baro and Jaehyun before looking back at the lookalike. "I guess we should do an introduction or something,” I said awkwardly, “Though the principal should have done that himself." I sighed. "I'm Junghwan. But call him Sandeul, please."

Gongchan's lookalike nodded go head and flashed me a smile. "Oh yeah. I remember you. We bumped into each other the other day."

I nodded my head but didn't respond. Instead I just took another bite from my sandwich.

"This one," I said pointing at the one sitting beside me, "Is Jaehyun. He's Baro," I pointed at the other one. "We all sort of know each other. Except for you."

Gongchan's lookalike chuckled. "I see. Well, my name is Namsoo."

He held out his hand and I hesitantly took it. I don’t like touching new people. "How ironic that we meet each other again. Once again, sorry for bumping into you that time. I was sort of in a rush that day. It was the first day I moved here too."

I nodded my head, accepting his apology and took my hand away from his grip. I wasn't really sure whether I should mention the fact that he looked a lot like a friend of mine or just keep quiet until when they actually meet. But I assumed that there was no point because they were going to meet soon or later eventually.

"What period do you guys have lunch?" I asked. I was hoping that I'd just personally show them their classes individually and together show them the rest of the school. It'd be easier that way instead of getting their classes confused.

"8th," they all said at the same time.

Why was that not surprising?

If Mr. Chae was the one who set up their schedules, and knowing Mr. Chae, it wasn’t odd that he had us all have the same lunch period. Seriously, sometimes I wonder if destiny actually wants me to be around these idiots for a good reason or if it just likes to see me struggle in life.

"Fine," I muttered, "Then let me finish my breakfast and we'll officially start this tour."

I continued to eat my food before a sudden thought came to mind. "Wait." I glared over to Jaehyun and frowned. "I thought you already had a tour."

Jaehyun gave me a nervous chuckle and tuned the back of his nape. "I can explain,” He flashed me a nervous smile. “I lied."

"What?"

“You see, when-“

"What a nice friend," Baro muttered under his breath, "Lying is totally the best way to make up for stabbing somebody in the back two years ago."

"Like you didn't lie either," Jaehyun snapped, glaring at the other male, "What about when you were at that restaurant the other day? You told Deul you hated the food there yet you were still there with that chick."

"That's a completely different situation," Baro snapped back.

I was completely willing enough to let them continue arguing, seeing that I had an excuse to finish my meal and not have to talk. But the worried face Namsoo was sending them made me feel bad that he was stuck sitting right in between them.

"The both of you shut up," I said, glaring at the two of them. "I don't want the school security guards coming in because you two are making a ruckus.” I could already feel the other students around us starting to stare at us and it gave me nothing but chills.

The both of them immediately closed their mouths and brought their gaze to the table.

I rolled my eyes and stood up, grabbing the rest of my food. "Let's go. I lost my appetite."

After throwing out my food, I lead the three of them outside. The moment we stepped out to back of the school, the second period bell rang.

"There's the track," I said, pointing towards the left of the school where a large seating stand could be seen in the distance. "They play football there too. The soccer field is not that far from it as well. Are any if you interested in trying out for sports?"

Namsoo was the only who raised his hand, though he hesitated on putting it back down when no one else held up theirs.

"What sport?"

"Any of them, I guess."

"Sports freak, I see," I muttered, "Well soccer season is about to finish. So it's too late to try out. Basketball is up in a few weeks and then hockey so you can check those out."

Namsoo nodded his head and then raised his hand again.

"Yes?"

"How are the coaches? I heard at they're, erm, strict."

I bit my bottom lip and thought for a moment. "I can't say anything through personal experience. I don't take sports. So you'll probably have to ask someone else. Don't worry, I know somebody who's taking soccer so you can just ask him."

"I'm interested in the sports department too," Jaehyun said as he raised his hand too.

I shot him a glare. "I'm sure you don't need my help. You can figure it out on your own."

Jaehyun slowly put his arm down and Baro just snickered right next to him.

I began explaining more about the things you could do outside (which wasn't much except for eating lunch) and we headed back inside once the second period bell rang and I was sure everybody had gotten into their next class.

"I suppose I should start showing you your classes," I mumbled as I looked around the empty hallway. "Can I assume that we're all the same grade, or am I wrong?"

"I'm a junior," Namsoo said as he raised his hand again.

"I see. Since the junior classes are upstairs, you'll be last." I then turned to Baro and Jaehyun. "I know Jaehyun is a sophomore. And you are too. Right Baro?"

Baro bit his bottom lip and began nervously rubbing his arms. "Technically."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I have only two sophomore classes. I sort of got left back in middle school and so I'm taking most freshmen classes."

I wasn't really surprised to be quite honest. It wasn't that I thought Baro was stupid. But, like me, I figured he must have skipped some of his classes causing him to retake them again. But I never knew he actually got left back. I wonder why he never told me that. Not that I really cared whether he told me or not. It’s his choice if he wants to tell me.

I simply brushed that thought out of my mind as I tried to think of an easy way to show these kids around and make sure to finish as fast as I could at the same time.

I sighed as I realized that there wasn't much of a choice. "Alright, let's start with you, Baro."

Baro handed me his class schedule. I quickly scanned it and mentally groaned when I noticed that we both had the same gym period. Great, not only do I have to share a class with Baro but it's the class I hate the most.

It was easy showing Baro to his classes, seeing that I recognized most of the classes from last year.

It didn’t take as long as I expected. The only annoying part was that once again Baro and Jaehyun constantly fought trying to walk by my side. Namsoo stayed in the back of the group (lucky for him) and simply watched as Baro and Jaehyun kept glaring at each other. He must have noticed the rivalry between the two and decided not to get into it.

"And this is your biology class," I pointed into a large empty classroom, the last class on Baro’s list. The teacher was sitting at his desk and he smiled at us when he noticed that Baro and I were standing by his door. Jaehyun and Namsoo were a few feet away from us and it wasn't hard to miss the annoyed look on Jaehyun’s face when he saw how close Baro was standing next me. I must admit, it was a bit too close for my own comfort as well.

"Ah, Junghwan," the teacher said as he ushered for us to enter his room. I signaled for Jaehyun and Namsoo to stay outside while they wait for us to talk to Baro's new teacher.

"Hello, Mr. Jung." I grabbed Baro's wrist and led him closer to the teacher. "This is Sunwoo. He's going to be one of your new students."

"Ah, yes. I was notified about you."  He held out his hand and Baro hesitantly took it in his. "It's nice to meet you."

"You too," Baro mumbled.

"Sir," I said, looking up at Mr. Jung. "Do you mind updating Baro on what he missed in biology from the beginning of the school year? I still have two other kids to show around. And I know there are a lot of labs Baro probably missed."

"Oh, of course. Anything for an old student who hardly ever attended class." Mr. Jung laughed at the bitter look I gave him. "It's a joke. You're retaking the class again this year, aren't you?"

"Yes," I muttered.

After I let Baro know to meet me back at the cafeteria once he finished his meeting with the teacher, and also too him to check out any of his other teachers and catch up with his other classes as well, I went back to Jaehyun and Namsoo.

Jaehyun immediately smiled when he saw me come out of the classroom and the smile grew wider when he saw I wasn't being followed by Baro.

"Who's next?" I asked once I caught up to them.

Jaehyun quickly nudged Namsoo in the ribs and the boy slowly lifted his hand up. "Me, I guess."

I didn't question what had happened. I just went straight into showing his classes. It was a little more difficult than showing Baro, seeing that I wasn't all too familiar with any if the junior classes. It felt as though it was the first day of school all over again and I was trying to figure out where the hell I was supposed to go. It took the rest of the period and half of 3rd to finally finish and I couldn't have been any gladder.

"Oh." I was walking down the stairs with the boys to begin showing Jaehyun his classes when I saw Jinyoung at his locker.

"Jinyoung," I called out, walking up to him.

Jinyoung looked over at me and smiled when he saw who it was. "Oh hey," he said, not noticing the two boys behind me, "Shouldn't you be in class?"

"Yes. What about you?"

"I forgot my review boom in my locker."

"I see."

There was an awkward cough heard from behind me and I mentally rolled my eyes as I turned to look at Jaehyun and Namsoo.

"Who are they?" Jinyoung asked. He closed his locker and turned to them while holding into his book.

"The new kids. Remember the one Gongchan told us about?"

"But he said there was only going to be one."

I shrugged my shoulder and motioned for Jaehyun and Namsoo to come closer. "Guys, this is Jinyoung. He'll be sitting with us during our lunch period."

Jinyoung smiled at them and soon enough his smile deflated. I noticed his eyes were now locked on Namsoo and he stared at the boy for what seemed like forever. I could have sworn I saw some drooling come out from his mouth. "Hey," he whispered to me, slowly pointing at Namsoo, who was just giving him a confused look, "Doesn't he look like Gongchan?"

"I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought that," I whispered back.

Jinyoung continued to stare at him and even I was beginning to feel the awkward feeling that Namsoo must have felt.

"Anyways," I said, snapping Jinyoung out of his thoughts, "You're taking soccer this year, right?"

"You're talking to the co-caption right here." Jinyoung grinned at me and if you looked hard enough, you could see his pride practically radiating out from him. "How come?"

"Namsoo is considering to taking sports," I grabbed Namsoo's wrist and pulled him closer to the boy, "I was wondering if maybe you could talk to him about the sports department."

A light pink color invaded Jinyoung's cheeks. "Well, I'm not free until 8th. But if you want, I'm passing by my coach’s office on my way back to class. I could show you where it is. You could probably talk to him."

It didn't take a second before Namsoo agreed and the two of them soon began walking away. "Meet me back at the cafeteria once you're done," I called out. I wasn’t quite sure if Namsoo heard me, seeing that he and Jinyoung were practically already in their own little world.

I don't think Gongchan is going to be so pleased that his favorite person now has a new friend. And one that looks a lot like him.

I simply shrugged my shoulder before turning around back at Jaehyun. But the moment I did, I frown.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked, annoyed at the stupid grin that was formed on his face. "It’s really creepy."

Jaehyun chuckled as the two of us went back to walking down the empty hallways.

It was silent between us, which was quite rare for Jaehyun. Just like Baro, he was quite the chatter box. Except a little calmer. Well, only by a little.

"So," Jaehyun said after a while. I was in the middle of trying to find where his English class was. I wasn't familiar with the teacher's name and for a minute, I was pretty sure he didn't even exist.

"Mind telling me why you're here," I asked with a frown, taking a quick glare at Jaehyun before looking back at his class schedule.

Jaehyun's grin grew. "Aren't you happy? It's like old times again. Except with that annoying brat hanging around." Jaehyun muttered the last part and it was pretty obvious who he was talking about. "What are the odds that the two of us were transferring on the same day? And to the same school."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm still in mental shock at the fact that the two of you are here. Why didn't you tell me anything?"

"I wanted it to be a surprise."

"Well, you most certainly did surprise me." I muttered. "How did you even know I came to this school? I don't remember telling you."

"Your mom told my mom. When my mom told her that we were looking for schools, she told me to check this one out."

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. In all honestly, I wasn't all that shocked to find Jaehyun here. He was bound to find out about this school since this place was one of the only all boys schools that were nearby. But I never actually thought he'd agree to transfer here. I guess the fact that I was here helped with his decision.

And the fact that Baro was also here (remind me that I need to have a little talk about that with him later), I don't know how to feel. All I know is that Baro and Jaehyun will probably spend the rest of the school year at each other’s throats just to keep the other away from me. And if that happens, I don't think I would want to be near either of them. Well, at least not at the same time.

"I'm warning you now, if you and Baro start any problems with each other, I won’t hesitate to kick both your asses."

Jaehyun rolled his eyes and raised his hand in defense. "I won't start anything if he doesn't either. I still don't see why you still hang out with him."

"He's not that bad," I mumbled. I brought my gaze back to the paper in my hands and began walking towards the first class. "He's a bit annoying but I learned to tolerate him."

Jaehyun let out an annoyed huff and crossed his arms against his chest. "I feel bad for his girlfriend. She's probably miserable being with him."

I looked over at Jaehyun and blinked. "Girlfriend?"

"Wasn't that girl he was with last time his girlfriend?"

"I'm not sure. Baro never really said anything."

"Well, if she is then it must for her. I bet he's not even a good kisser."

"I don't know," I mumbled. And once again, I found the wrong words vomiting out from me; "When I kissed him, I admit; it wasn't that bad."

I didn't realize what I said until Jaehyun suddenly grabbed me by the arm and forced me to stop. He had a really serious look on his face as he stared at me for, god knows, how long. "You what?"

"Nothing," I quickly responded, "Now let go. You're grabbing onto me too tight."

Jaehyun, obviously, didn't let go but instead began gripping onto me even harder. I hissed a bit and tried pulled my arm back but failed.

"You guys kissed." It wasn't a question but more of a statement.

"It was a joke," I said, glaring at him, "Baro was just teasing me, that's all. Nothing serious. Now let go before you break my arm off."

Jaehyun continue to glare at me before finally letting go. I could already feel a slight bruise forming on my arm. Great, how the hell would I explain that to my mother if she ever sees it?

"What were you guys doing that made him kiss you?"

"Nothing," I muttered, an annoyed tone now growing in my voice, "We were watching a movie and this scene come up and it, I don’t know, just happened. Now let’s go. I told Baro and Namsoo to wait for me at the cafeteria and there's still more I need to show you three."

I turned and walked away. I didn’t want to look back. I could already feel the glares that Jaehyun was sending at me and the last thing I wanted was to look at him in the eyes.

There was complete silence for a while until I heard Jaehyun's footsteps following behind me.


I have no idea what this is orz