26

Developing Friendship

I can't remember the last time I had a fever.

It was probably back in elementary school when Jaehyun and I were still friends, before the whole back stabbing incident. The reason for that is because I can clearly remember Jaehyun giving me more of a headache then the actual fever did. He wouldn't leave me alone for three whole days and despite the dozen attempts to kick him out at that time so I could get some damn sleep.

This time, Baro was being the annoying one.

Once we returned home from the fair (and had Jinyoung nag me for 10 minutes about keeping myself healthy during the winter), Baro offered to sleep on the couch that was in our shared guest room, and even though I told him it really wasn't necessary since the fever wasn't too bad, he still slept on it anyways.

At least I had the huge bed to myself, so for the night I felt like a king.

The next morning, though, I felt like .

I could feel my head pounding the moment I woke up. Despite the warm blanket wrapped around me, my body felt like I was standing shirtless outside in the cold and I couldn't stop the shivering even after I threw on another blanket in an attempt to myself feel warmer. I couldn't feel my muscles, let alone the rest of my body, and I had the need to sleep for the whole day. Which I really wanted to do, but Baro wouldn't let me.

"Are you hungry?" "Do you want breakfast?" "Do you need another blanket?" "I can go get you some pain revelers." "Do you want a glass of water?" "You look even worst than you did 5 minutes ago."

Of course I looked worked. How was I going to get any better with Baro yapping his off and not giving me any chance to actually get any better.

And it's not even noon yet.

I've been in bed since the moment I woke up, with Baro buzzing around every second he could get. I still don't understand how I managed to get sick when I was the only one out of the whole guys to actually dress in warm clothing yesterday, while everybody else dressed like it was just another causal day despite the freezing temperature. It just doesn't make sense.

At this moment, Baro was getting me another blanket from the hallways closet and I wanted to bitterly laugh at the fact that I was sweating so much from all the blankets I had on, but yet I was still shivering nonstop.

I heard a gentle knock from the guest room door, but I didn't react to it. I couldn't tell if I was too weak to lift my head, or just too lazy. Probably the latter.

"Sandeul?"

I felt myself cringe when I heard Jinyoung's voice and I knew he probably had already opened the door  for himself and was already walking in to check on me. "Are you awake?"

My back was facing him and so I tried to stay as still as I could, hoping he would leave if he thought I really was still asleep. Baro had already given me enough headaches this morning, I didn't need anyone else to give me anymore.

"Look at him trying to trick us," came Gongchan's voice. I can only figure that the other guys were here as well.

"You really think we'd fall for your fake sleeping?" Namsoo added with a slight snicker. Gongchan giggled along with him. I will never understand their relationship. One minute their fighting for Jinyoung's attention, the next they're cracking jokes with each other as if they both don't have a stupid crush on the same guy. And they still haven't figured out how much they look alike.

"Junghwan, we know you're not sleeping."

"All these months and you still call me by my name," I weakly muttered to myself as I tried to sit up and glare at Gongchan. But my body felt too weak and I fell back onto the bed without a second thought. The bed felt like heaven.

"I can't believe you got this sick in one night," Jinyoung said in a worried voice. He had a look on his face that resembled any other mother who was watching their child be sick and couldn't do anything to help them. "You should have been more careful."

"Yes," I tried to snap, but it just sounded like I was forcing myself to talk and it wasn't threatening at all, "Because wearing a coat, earmuffs, and a scarf wasn't being careful."

I tried sitting up again and this time I finally managed to get my back to rest on the headboard. I was still slouching a little, but at least I was able to look at the guys properly. But I noticed Jaehyun wasn't around, again.

"Maybe it happened because you gave your scarf to Baro. You're probably sensitive around your neck and mouth or something."

That was a stupid logic. But then again, Gongchan wasn't the smartest in the group. So I forgive him.

"What are we going to do?" Jinyoung asked. He reached up to feel my forehead but immediately pulled back. "He's seriously burning up."

At this time, Baro came back with another blanket. He was a bit taken back when he saw all the guys in the room, surrounding me as if I was in my death bed or something. "Guys, don't get too close," he said as he made his way towards me and placed the blanket over me. "You're going to make his fever worst."

"This is just great," Gongchan muttered bitterly as he took a step back, "He just had to get sick during our school break."

Nice to know he had more concern over this stupid trip than he did about my actual heath. I didn't even want to be on this trip.

"Don't be like that," Jinyoung said as he took noticed of the way Gongchan was pouting and had his arms crossed, like a little kid who had their toy taken away. "Right now we should be concerned about Sandeul's health before anything else."

"You don't have to do anything," I mumbled. I lifted the blankets higher towards my chin and snuggled deeper into the bed. "I just need to stay in bed for the day and I'll be okay."

"What?" Gongchan said in disbelief, "You can't stay in bed all day! We have to go back to the street fair tonight. We barely got anything done because you and Baro wanted to have some couple alone time and didn't bother telling us."

Baro suddenly became flustered and waved his arms in an attempt to clear the misunderstanding. "It's not like that," he said, but the redness to his face said otherwise, "We seriously did get lost."

At that moment, Jaehyun walked in. There was no emotion on his face and he looked even more stoic than I ever do. None of the other guys noticed him yet, and so he lingered by the door instead of making his way closer to the bed. I pretended that I didn't notice him either.

"Can I just get some more sleep?" I asked in a tired voice. "I'm not going to get any better with you guys swarming around me."

"But what about the fair?" Gongchan whined, "I made plans for the time while we stay here. We only have two more days and we can't waste anymore time!"

Jinyoung smacked Gongchan on the back of his head and shot him an annoyed look that clearly said "shut up." Thank god at least someone had some sense.

"Sandeul," Jinyoung said as he looked back at me, "You are going to stay in bed and get better. We won't go anywhere so just call us if you need anything."

"What?" Gongchan shouted, "But my plans!"

Jinyoung shot him another look and I actually sort of felt bad for the kid. They didn't need to cancel their whole day just because of me.

"You guys can go. I don't mind being alone. Besides, I think it'll be better with all you guys off my back. It will make my life a whole lot easier."

"It's not like we can leave you alone though. What if you fall and you can't get up?" I heard the teasing in Namsoo's voice and the snickering from Gongchan. Only these idiots would make my fever into a joke.

"I think I can handle being alone for a while."

Jinyoung looked completely unconvinced but he let out a sigh and nodded his head. "You're right. You're a big boy. You don't need us to help." He sighed again and then gave me a small smile. "Just get better quickly, okay?"

"I think I'll get healthier faster if you guys weren't here," I muttered.

At that note, Baro began pushing the guys out of the room. "He said he'll get better if you guys aren't around. So leave." He kept pushing until they were all out the door, but Jinyoung struggled to get back inside.

"I'll tell the butler to leave you some soup in case you get hungry. If anything happens, you can call us on our cells. We won't be out for long so just stay in bed and don't push yourself."

I'm sure Jinyoung had more to say but Baro roughly pushed him out and slammed the door shut, locking it to make sure nobody could come in again.

I watched as Baro leaned against the door and let out a long sigh as if pushing those guys out was the hardest thing he had ever done. He then looked over at me and grinned.

I felt my eye twitched as Baro made is way over and sat down next to me on the bed.

"Anything else you need? More water? Another blanket? Oh! A hat!"

I groaned and slid back down into the bed while Baro ran around the room searching for a hat. "When I said that It'd be better without you guys, I meant all you guys." I mumbled the words so softly, I was positive Baro didn't hear.

But he froze in the middle of going through my bag for the hat and I knew I was wrong.

Slowly, he turned around with a hurt expression. "You want me to leave too?"

"I just think it'd be better if I was alone. You can go out with the guys."

"And leave you alone? What kind of boyfriend would-" Baro suddenly stopped in the middle of his sentence and the two of us stared at each other with wide eyes.

"Did you just say-"

"No."

"But-"

"No."

If my face wasn't already heating up because of the fever, I was practically on fire at this moment. Baro was no better. His face was completely red and he even had to cover his face from the embarrassment.

Did he really just say boyfriend? I don't remember ever saying I was his boyfriend.

He turned away from and slowly headed towards the door. "I think I should go," he mumbled.

"Yeah," I mumbled back.

He glanced at me as he unlocked the door and began to leave, but the moment our eyes made contact, we both looked away with tinted cheeks.

Once the door was finally shut and I was completely alone in the room, I let out the longest sigh I ever had. I don't think the heat on my face with go down anytime soon, now thanks to Baro.

--

A couple of hours later, I woke up from a nap I didn't realize I took. The headache was now gone by the weakness in my body was still there and I could barely lift myself up.

With a groan, I reached over to my phone on the bedside table to check the time. It was already a little past 2.

The guys must have left by now. They probably didn't want to wake me up and left without saying anything. Better for me.

I heard my stomach grumble and I groaned again. The nap made me hungry, but my body didn't have the strength to get up and go into the kitchen to get something to eat.

Maybe one of the guys should have stayed home with me. Maybe I should have made Baro stay.

I felt my face heating up again as the incident that happened earlier today came rushing back into my memory.

I wasn't sure if what he said was a good thing or not. For him to accidentally call me his boyfriend is basically saying that he already sees us being in a relationship before anything even became official. In other words, he has high hopes that I like him too.

But since I still haven't sorted out my own feelings, those hopes of his aren't a good sign at all.

But, well, it wasn't like I minded him calling me that. It was an accident anyways. As long as he doesn't do it again, it should be fine, right?

I grabbed the pillow beside me and slammed it on my face, letting out another groan, this time out of frustration.

Although a part of me is glad Baro confessed to me, seeing that we're no longer ignoring each other because of any misunderstandings, another part of me sort of wished he kept it to himself. It might be selfish of me to wish this, since Baro spent months trying to understand his feelings and is still struggling because of it now. And confessing to me took a huge weight of his shoulders. But I feel like that weight suddenly went on me.

Now I'm here struggling with my own feelings and trying not to mess up this friendship with any false hopes at the same time, and it's really difficult to do. It would have been so much easier if I he never said anything at all.

"I'm terrible," I muttered into the pillow.

"Yeah, you are."

I jumped at the sudden voice and quickly pulled the pillow off my face to look up. Standing at the door, Jaehyun was hoping onto a bowl, which I assumed was the bowl of soup Jinyoung mentioned about earlier.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, a little surprised to see him here. I thought the guys all left.

"Jinyoung was worried about leaving you alone so we agreed to have one of us stay." Jaehyun walked over towards me and placed the bowl onto the bedside table. "Wait for a bit. It's still hot."

I stared at Jaehyun's face as he reached over to check my temperature.

He wasn't being the same Jaehyun as before. He wasn't smile or being his annoying self. It was weird to see him so serious. Was this all just because I cut him off. It's barely been a day. Why was he so affected by it.

"Why were you the one to stay?"

"Baro offered by Jinyoung refused to leave him here with you. Namsoo didn't know how to take care of a sick person and Gongchan wasn't going to let Jinyoung stay or have himself stay. I was the only option left."

"In other words, you were forced to be here." Why would Jinyoung make him stay if he know I was ignoring Jaehyun? And also, why didn't Jaehyun put more of a fight to not stay either? It wouldn't have been hard to convince Jinyoung to choose someone else.

Jaehyun didn't say anything. Instead, he pressed is palm against the side of the bowl to see if it was still hot. "Another minute and it should be good."

I turned to my side so that my back was facing him and pulled the covers up to my shoulders. "Thanks. You can leave now."

The didn't hear the sounds of Jaehyun's feet walking away so I was pretty sure he didn't leave. But I wasn't going to turn around and check either, so I kept my back facing him and waited.

I wasn't sure what I was waiting for, but I just kept waiting.

"Are you seriously not talking to me?"

I let out a sigh as I sat up and looked back at Jaehyun. "I told you to leave."

"Is this still about Baro."

"No one mentioned Baro."

"I just did."

"This isn't about Baro."

"So why are you cutting me off? What, is Baro forbidding you from talking to me? He can't share his best friend or something? Or whatever you guys are, I don't even know anymore."

"This isn't about Baro," I repeated.

"Then stop ignoring me."

"First stop acting like an annoying brat."

I didn't realized I had snapped until Jaehyun took a step back with an offended look on his face.

"I'm not having this argument," I muttered. I tried laying back down on the bed but Jaehyun grabbed my arm and prevented me from doing so.

"At least eat your damn soup. Jinyoung will kill me if you don't." Nice to know he's more worried about getting introuble then me getting better.

I glared at him before reaching over and grabbing the bowl. I winched a bit at the heat but placed in on my lap either way, just to get Jaehyun off my back.

I took a couple of spoonfuls and silently praised the butler for making this. It was delicious.

Jaehyun just stood there and watched me eat. I felt a bit uncomfortable but tried to act like I was unfazed by his presence.

I don't think it really worked.

Finally after a long moment of silence, Jaehyun spoke.

"I saw you and Baro yesterday."

I paused my hand in midair as I was about to take another spoonful. Slowly I put the spoon down and glanced up at Jaehyun. "What do you mean?"

"Yesterday. When you and Baro got lost. I saw you guys."

I swallowed a lump that suddenly appeared in my throat. "I don't-"

"I saw everything. You guys sharing mittens. You guys holding hands. You feeding him food. I saw it all."

I didn't know what to say. What the hell was he doing? Spying on me? He was supposed to be lost with the other guys. So how the hell did he know what happened? If he knew where we were this whole time, why didn't he come up to us?

"Something's going on between you two. And I want you to tell me what it is."

I felt the headache coming back to my head, but I tried ignoring it.

"Say something," Jaehyun demanded.

"There's nothing going on between us. You misunderstood everything you saw yesterday."

"Don't give me that bull," he snapped.

I felt my eye twitch out of annoyance. I placed the bowl back onto the bedside table so I wouldn't spill it and glared at Jaehyun. "Why are you so angry about everything. I told you, nothing is going on and even if something was, why does it matter to you? You're not involved in my personal life anymore. We're not as close as we used to be, you know."

This completely shut Jaehyun up. He stared at me with wide eyes as if he couldn't believe what I just said.

"I don't want to have this argument," I continued, "I'm too sick to be dealing with this." I went back to laying down, with my back facing him again, in hopes that he will finally leave.

"I know we're not as close," he started of slowly, "I know it's because I ed our friendship up two years ago. What I did was messed up, but you said you forgave me. You said that everything was okay now."

"I said I forgave you," I mumbled, "But I didn't say I wasn't going to keep my walls up."

I heard a sigh come from Jaehyun lips. "I hope you realize Baro and I aren't all that different. He's going to screw you over too."

I felt a pang of annoyance hit me.

"Can you just leave?"

"Fine." There was shuffling sounds that lead to the door. "Call me if you need anything. Don't forget to eat."

At that, the door was shut and I let out a sigh.

I turned to my back and rub my face with both hands out of annoyance and frustration.

Great. Now I have Jaehyun up my about Baro, and it's no longer just for being his friend. He saw everything. That means we have to be even more careful now.

And what the hell did he mean that Baro and him were the same? The only thing they have in common is their freaky obsession with me. At least Baro has a good excuse for always being glued to my side. Jaehyun still hasn't given me a proper reason why he's so overprotective of me.

--

Night eventually came and I was still stuck in bed.

Jaehyun hasn't came back to the room since he left and I was a bit glad. I spent the whole time in bed and watched some movies from that huge T.V that covered almost all of the wall. Rich people are really lucky.

I could feel my fever going down and my body was no longer as weak as it was before. The soup did good for my stomach and my headache was completely gone. The only thing left was that I was still feeling cold despite all the blankets I had on.

I knew eventually I was going to have to talk to Jaehyun about what happened. I was going to have to clear the situation up or at least convince him that whatever he saw was a complete misunderstanding.

But how to do that, I have no idea.

There was a knock on the door and Jinyoung popped his head in before I had a chance to respond.

"We're back," he said. He took a step inside and lifted up a plastic bag that was in his hand. "We brought you some food from the fair. I'm not sure if it's olay for you to eat this kind of stuff while you're sick though."

I thanked him anyways as he made his way over and placed the platic bag on the bedside table. He checked my tempterature and the content look on his face must have meant he was satisfied with the decrease in my body heat.

"Did you eat?"

"Yeah. The soup was good. Thanks."

Jinyoung nodded his head to himself and flashed me a tired smile. "Sorry about leaving you alone. I would have tried convincing Gongchan to have us stay, but he worked so hard to make this break fun, I didn't have the heart to cancel his plans. He had us running around all day. I can barely feel my legs."

"It's okay," I said with a yawn, "It's better that you guys weren't here anyways. It made everything a lot easier on me." It would have been completely better if Jaehyun didn't stay either. Even though Jinyoung knew I wasn't talking to him anymore, it made me wonder why he made Jaehyun stay in the first place.

"Do you think you'll be better for tomorrow? Gongchan wants us to go to this amusement park."

An amusement park in the middle of winter? Was this kid crazy? And what kind of amusement park is opened during the cold season. Aren't they normally meant for the summer?

"I don't think so," I lied. Although I knew I'd probably be a lot better by tomorrow, using my fever as an excuse to skip out on this trip seemed like a great idea. At least now I have a proper excuse.

"That's too bad," Jinyoung sighed. He sat down at the end of the bed and patted me on the knee. "It was a bit weird without you. Baro was patically a walking zombie. He was completely soulless without you leading him everywhere."

I was a bit amused at the imagine of Baro pratically crying due to my absence. But at the same time, it made me a bit worried.

"Excatly how long are you going to keep him waiting?"

I stared at Jinyoung while it took me a minute to figure out what he was asking about.

Not this again. Can't I go a simple day without being hassled about this stupid stuff.

"You can't rush feelings," I muttered, "It took him months to figure out his own. Obviously it's going to take a while for me too."

Jinyoung sighed and I knew that he knew I was right. It wasn't like I was just going to wake up one morning and think, "Oh! So that's how I feel about Baro." That's not how the universe works. It would be a lot easier if it did though.

Maybe it was dumb of me to tell Jinyoung about everything. Although it did take a huge weight off my shoulders after talking to someone about the whole thing between me and Baro, but now I feel even more pressured about it all as well.

"It's funny, Sandeul," Jinyoung said. He tilte his head to take a good look at me and I shifted a bit due to the uncomfortability. "You're taking all this really seriously."

"What is that supposed to mean."

"Look at you," Jinyoung said with a chuckle, "You're heartless. You don't care about anything or anyone and you always keep everything to yourself. Normally, I would have thought you'd just brush this whole thing aside and tell Baro to stop being a little prick or something. But you're actually taking his feelings into consideration. And the fact that you're taking your time to actually figure out your own feelings, well that says a lot."

I kept my face stone as I thought about what Jinyoung just said. Excatly, why was I being nice about this? Why was I overthinking about this all? I mean, it's just feelings. Feelings never last. Having feelings for others is completely pointless. There was no reason for be me to be like this at all.

"Jinyoung," I said in my always monotone voice, "Can you do me a favor?"

"Sure. What favor?"

"I'll go with you guys to the amusement park tomorrow. But can you give me and Baro some alone time? I need to talk to him."

Jinyoung must have understood my intentions because he stood up and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Sure. Just don't hurt him."

"I can't make any promises," I muttered.

Jinyoung nodded his head in understanding and then sighed. "I guess I'll tell Baro to sleep on the couch in my room. That way you can get a good sleep."

"Thanks."

"Make sure you eat something from the bag. I'll get the butler to send you up another bowl of soup. I told the guys not to come in here and bother you so you don't have to worry about any of them."

"You sound like a mother."

"Somebody has to take care of you idiots."

I sent Jinyoung a small smile and was returned with a larger and brighter one. He patted me on the head, gave me some more instructions so I could get better faster, and left the room.

I moved from my sitting position to laying on my side and pulled the blanket over my head before letting out a tired sigh. The heachade was back and probably won't be going away anytime soon.

I might as well get everything over with tomorrow.


I don't know what this is and what's going on omg orz
4626 words of pure mess
But good news!(??) Okay, so basically I have the complete outline of how this fic is going to progress and how it will end and all that stuff. So instead of winging everything like I was basically doing before, I now actually have a soild plan so that means there's less chances of any writers block and even a less chance of me giving up on this fic like I did in the past, twice. (again, sorry for that.) The only thing is that I have two alternative endings and, depending on the ending I choose, there's a chance for a squeal! But like I said, it depends on the ending I choose, and choosing the ending depends on a lot of things so I guess we'll just see what happens.
Also, sorry for the lack of badeul and also sorry for breaking jaedeul orz