10

Developing Friendship

It has been a couple of days since Jaehyun and I started fresh again. I still, of course, have my guard up with him. Who knows when that bastard will decide to backstab me once again? I must admit though, it felt a little nice catching up with him again. Although his looks has changed completely (he used to dress like a nerd, if you ask me) but his personality is still the same.

He was always this carefree kid, with no worries whatsoever. But he also had this demanding side to him that caused him to want everything to go his way. He’s not a spoiled kid; he just likes being in charge.

I guess that was one of the reasons why I was okay with always be around him. I’m the type who just goes with the flow and since Jaehyun always wanted to do with whatever he wanted, it was easier just to agree with him. I wasn’t necessarily being pushed around or anything. I just didn’t really care.

“So what do you want to do now?” Jaehyun asked as the two of us were sitting in my bedroom, staring at whatever could catch our interest. He randomly came over, since he already knew my address to begin with and I had no choice by to let him in. My mother was practically crying tears of joy when she saw that Jaehyun and I were friends again. She always had a liking for that kid. I’m exactly not sure why.

“Nothing.” It was a Saturday afternoon and I had already planned to spend the day doing nothing but sleep. But of course, Jaehyun just had to come and ruin the plan.

Jaehyun chuckled, probably because that was an expected answer. He sat up from lying on the bed, and looked over at me sitting in my desk chair. “Where’s your dad? I want to say hi to him.”

“I don’t know,” I mumbled, my gaze falling onto the desk, “He hasn’t been home for the past two days.”

“Really? Why?” Jaehyun looked genuinely surprised.

I shrugged my shoulders and tried to hide my frown that was starting to form. “My parents got into another fight and he stormed out of the house. He hasn’t come back yet. I think he’s staying with my uncle.”

“Oh, that’s .” Jaehyun mumbled, obviously feeling awkward. “You know, if you ever want, you can come to my house for whatever reason. Besides, my mom misses the hell out of you.”

I doubt it. I remember Jaehyun’s mother used to always treat me differently comparing to his other friends. She always gave me the cold shoulder, despite how polite I would try to be to her. I guess she just naturally never liked me. But she used to be such best friends with my mom before we moved to another apartment. I still don't understand it.

“Hey!” Jaehyun suddenly jumped off my bed, shooting me the brightest grin I’ve seen on him yet. “Let’s go get something to drink.”

Back in middle school, Jaehyun and I used to always go to this nearby convenience store by our apartment complex. We’d both buy a can of soda and we’d sit at an old staircase just a few buildings down. Normally, we wouldn’t talk while we sat at the staircase and drank our sodas, except for those rare occasions where all we did was talk, while we watched the cars drive by.

It seems like even after two years, that old habit of ours hasn’t changed. The only difference was that now, instead of soda, we were sipping on iced coffee.

“I didn’t know you were a coffee person,” I mumbled as I watched a black car speed right past a yellow light.

Jaehyun shrugged and took another sip of his drink, “I guess I got bored of soda.”

I slightly chuckled. Jaehyun used to always get bored of things easily, but I never expected him to get bored of soda. He always claimed that he was in love with soda.

“So tell me, how’s school for you?” Jaehyun, who was sitting a step higher than me, looked down and smile. “Is it boring without me?”

I scoffed and took another sip of my drink, “Not at all. It’s much more relaxing now that you’re not there to cause nonsense.”

Jaehyun let out a hearty laugh and grabbed me into a quick headlock, making sure not to spill our drinks. “Aw, come on, Deul. Admit it, you miss me. Remember how we’d both always end up in detention at least three times a week.”

“You mean, you’d always end up in detention and I had to show up to bail you out.” I tried to get myself out of the headlock, but gave up when Jaehyun didn’t show any signs of letting go.

Jaehyun laughed again and put his drink down to ruffle up my hair. “Just say it; you miss me.”

“Not even if my life depended on it.”

Jaehyun playfully scoffed and finally let go. “Whatever, man. You know you miss me.”

I chuckled and took another sip from my drink. We went back to silence as we watched the cars drive back and forth. It wasn’t an awkward silence, like I’d normally get with other people. It was pretty comfortable actually.

At that moment though, my ringtone suddenly started to play. I mentally groaned and stuffed my hand in my pocket, hoping I could make the phone shut up as soon as possible.

“Hello?” I said once I managed to fish the phone out.

“Hey, Deullie.”

I slightly frowned at the voice on the other line. I haven’t spoken to Baro since that time he ditched me for that Haejung girl, which was a couple of days ago.

“Oh, hi.” I honestly don’t know why it felt so awkward. It’s not like I’m mad at Baro for what happened that time. I got over it after a couple of minutes. Even though he promised we’d hang out the next day, we never really did. Baro didn’t bother to call or even text after that day, so I figured he was just busy or something. Not that I really care.

“Are you busy right now? I thought maybe we could hang out or something.” Baro’s voice was low, as if he still felt guilty for ditching me last time.

“I’m not mad at you.” I might as well clear it out now then have Baro’s guilt practically eating him alive.

“You’re not?” There was hope in Baro’s voice, and for some reason I was the one feeling guilty now. “Because I’m really sorry about that. I didn’t mean to ditch you at the last minute and I know I promised to hang out the next day and all but I dropped my phone in the toilet and then something happened with the cat and there wasn’t enough gravy and-“

“What the hell are you talking about?”

There was a sigh on the other line. “I’m just sorry, alright. I promise I’ll never do it again.”

“I told you, I’m not mad. So stop apologizing.”

“So, are you busy? Because if not, we should go out and eat.”

It was then that I realized I had forgotten all about Jaehyun, who was still sitting beside me and was giving me a curious look, probably wondering who was on the other line.

I was totally up with eating out with Baro, knowing that he was going to pay for everything. Come on, who’d reject free food? But I wasn’t going to just ditch Jaehyun. I might not like the kid all that much, but I don’t hate him. Besides, being around Baro can be such a hassle sometimes.

“I can’t.”

“Oh,” Even though it was only one word, you can easily tell the disappointment in Baro’s voice. “I’ll call you later then.”

“Sure.”

Without a goodbye, Baro hung up.

I must admit, even though Baro sounded upset, I didn’t feel bad for him. Judging on his personality, I can pretty much assume that Baro probably had hundreds of other friends he can be with. Unlike me, who hardly has any. But I’m okay with it though. Who need friends?

“So who called?” I slightly jumped at the sound of Jaehyun’s voice. Once again, I forgot he was sitting right beside me.

“Oh,” I mumbled, stuffing my phone right back into my pocket, “No one.”

“Don’t lie to me,” Jaehyun scoffed while slightly eyeing me, “Why did you look so guilty right now?”

“I’m not guilty.” I took a sip of my iced coffee, hoping he’ll just drop the subject. But Jaehyun was always such a persistent person, and my hopes came crashing down the moment he gave me a look that screamed ‘Tell me’.

“Who was it?” he asked again, more firmly this time.

Normally I would have just ignored a person if they tried talking to me like this, but I couldn’t ignore Jaehyun. “Baro.”

“Baro?” Jaehyun thought for a bit, and I was hoping he wouldn’t remember who Baro was. But once again, my hopes were horribly destroyed. “You mean that idiot that called me a e?

I rolled my eyes and sighed. “He’s not an idiot. He’s-” I paused for a split second and sighed again, “Yeah. He’s an idiot. But he said sorry.”

“I don’t like him,” Jaehyun slightly muttered. “What’s your relationship with that guy anyways? Why did he call you ‘his’ last time?”

“I don’t really have a relationship with him. We met at a party and he’s been sticking to me ever since.”

“You partying?” Jaehyun began laughing while shaking his head in disbelief, “I can’t imagine.”

“Shut up. I was forced there against my own will. Also, it was a kids party.”

“Whatever you say, you party animal,” Jaehyun smirked until I rolled my eyes and softly hit his knee.

“Shut up or I’m going home.”

“No wait. There’s still more we need to do.”

“Like what?” Seriously, what more is there we need to do? Isn’t sitting at an old staircase, sipping on coffee and talking like the old days enough?

--

I blinked, staring at the old school playground that brought me so many old memories. Jaehyun, who was standing right beside me, crossed his arm against his chest and smirked at the playground.

“It’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

I glanced over at Jaehyun before looking back at the playground. It has been a while. Years, actually.

I blinked again.

Jaehyun smirk grew into a smile as he suddenly ran up to the wooden playground, looking over it as though it was made of glass and could break in any second. “Man, remember we used to always come here after school?”

I nodded my head slowly, even though Jaehyun couldn’t see since his back was facing me. My eyes did not leave the play set for even a second.

“I miss this,” Jaehyun whispered as he started to slowly walk around it, looking at every inch with excited eyes. “This used to be my favorite place.”

“I hated it here.”

Jaehyun stopped, turning his head towards me and laughed. “I know. You always complained about wanting to go home whenever we came here.”

I frowned while I walked closer to the playground and softly touched one of the wooden legs that held the huge thing up. “This stupid thing used to always give me splinters.”

“You cried once here, remember?” Jaehyun was now back at my side, still smiling up at the playground. “When we tried playing hide and seek and you couldn’t find me because this thing was too big for you.”

“That was you.”

Jaehyun chuckled and waved a hand at me, “Whatever. But it’s funny thinking about it. Back then, this place was huge. Now, it’s pretty small.”

“It’s still big,” I mumbled, eying the long side that was at one of the ends, “Just not as big.”

The two of us continued to stand there, staring at the old playground that brought us so much memoires.

Jaehyun was right when he said he and I used to come here all the time. Not only was this the place where the two of us have met (our mother forced a play date here), it was (and probably still is) Jaehyun’s favorite place ever. He used to love coming here. Just the thought of coming to the playground made the kid excited. And of course, I was always dragged here as well.

The playground isn’t only a part of our childhood, but it’s always a well-loved place for the town in general. This playground has been a part of this town for over 60 years and, even though it’s old, it’s still strong as ever. Everybody who grew up in this town has come to this playground all the time as a child. It’s a part of everyone’s childhood.

But now looking around, it’s different. Back when I was a kid, this place used to be full of kids of all ages. Even teens would come every now and then just to hang out. Now, no one comes here. This place is as empty as an abandon parking lot.

“Hey!” Jaehyun grabbed my arm and began dragging me towards the old swing set that was right beside the wooden playground, “Let’s go on the swings.”

He let go and ran straight to one of the seats, smiling brightly at me, resembling much like a little kid. He acted the same back then as well. “Push me, Deul!”

I sighed and walked behind him. “Some things just never change,” I mumbled as I began pushing him on the swings.

“Wow, I miss this,” Jaehyun said as he started to swing higher and higher. I let out another sigh, but couldn’t help and softly smile afterwards. I sort of miss this too.

-

The rest of the day was, well, just like old times. We spent the whole time practically back as seven-year-olds, running around the playground and doing the things we used to always do.

In reality, it was really just Jaehyun running around while I was forced to join him, but I didn’t mind. It was nice seeing Jaehyun’s child-like side again. It’s been a while.

“Alright, I’m exhausted,” Jaehyun practically shouted as he threw himself on the grass.

I chuckled and sat down beside him, the both of us facing the old playground. “I’ve been exhausted a long time ago.”

“Yeah, but I never know if you’re actually exhausted or just too lazy,” Jaehyun stated as he sat up and laughed.

I rolled me eyes and glanced over at the playground. “Idiot,” I mumbled to myself, a small smile on my face.

“Hey.”

I glanced back over at Jaehyun, who was staring straight at me with a now serious face.

“I’m sorry.”

“Wha-“

“I’m sorry for what I did to you in middle school. I really am. I didn’t mean it when I said you were annoying and that I only used you and all. I didn’t mean any of. I just – I don’t know,” Jaehyun frowned as he nervously rubbed the back of his neck, “I just said it for some reason and when you confronted me about it, I didn’t know what to say. I’m sorry, it just slipped out and because of that, I lost my best friend for two years.” He sighed and brought his glaze to the ground, “Two whole years.”

I stared at Jaehyun, his eyes still glued to the ground as if he was ashamed to even look at me. “I told you. I’m not mad.”

Jaehyun looked back up at me and frowned. “But-“

“I’m not mad. So let’s forget about it, ok.”

“Deul-“

“Ok?”

Jaehyun frowned grew a bit more before he sighed and nodded his head. “Ok.”

I glanced up at the evening sky and softly smiled.

I was being honest when I said I wasn’t mad. Even though was Jaehyun did was a big stab in the back, I didn’t hate the guy. Jaehyun has been by my side ever since elementary school. Even when I tried to push him away, he always came back. And for that, I admire him.

Jaehyun was the only friend I had. And for that, I guess I can see past what happened and forgive him.

We continued to sit there for a couple of minutes. He and I began chatting about everything we could think of. It was literally like the old days, the days I honestly missed. But I’m never going to say that out loud.

“Have you decided on the school you're going to?”

Jaehyun frowned. “Not yet. We have a small list to choose from, but I don’t know yet.”

I nodded my head in understanding. I could offer him my school, but I wasn’t sure if I wanted Jaehyun to be in the same school as me. Knowing him, he’ll probably convince the school’s administrator to be in all the same classes as me. That will be horrible.

It was nice spending the day with him, but I don’t know if it’ll be the same if we started going to the same school together.  

“Imagine if I end up going to the same school as you?” Jaehyun said with a soft chuckle.

“I prefer not to.”

Jaehyun chuckled again, louder this time, and looked over at me. “Come on, it wouldn’t be that bad.”

I rolled my eyes. “You’re right. It’d be horrible.”

Jaehyun rolled his eyes as well and then suddenly stood up. “We should get going.”

After saying our goodbyes and such, we parted our ways and headed home. It was already past 9PM and I was worried I’d get in trouble for coming home late and not even calling. 

But what I was really worried was for Baro. He normally always calls around 7PM and he was already 2 hours late. He’s never late.

The moment I arrived home, I didn’t hesitate to  his number.

When he didn’t answer the first time, I grew even more worried. Baro always answers my calls. It wasn’t until the 4th try that he finally answered.

“H-Hey,” he mumbled into the phone. His voice was hoarse and it sounded kind of weird.

I blinked at the phone before putting it back near my ear. “Is everything alright?”

“Y-Yeah. Why are you asking?”

“Well first of all, you didn’t call like you always do. Second, you didn’t answer the first time I called. And third, you sound like you’re losing your voice. Are you sick?”

It was silent on the other end for a while until some loud fumbling noises were heard. “Sorry,” Baro stuttered through the background noise, “I’m not sick.”

“What’s going on?” I furrowed my eyebrows and frowned.

“Everything’s fine- Ow! Stop! Stop it!” Baro practically screamed in my ear that I actually had to pull the phone away for a moment.

“What’s going on?” I asked again in a more demanding tone.

“Oh my god!” Baro shouted, “Get off me!” It sounded like Baro was talking to someone else, which caused even more confusion from me. “No! Put that down! It’s my mom! Stop touching those things! Don’t ruin my house! Arg-“

Suddenly the line was cut off.

I pulled my phone away and frowned. What the hell just happened? Was Baro getting robbed or something?

It sounds reasonable. Baro is practically home alone all the time. Anybody can just go in and rob him. Not only rob him, but they could beat the crap out of him as well. He is weak after all. So for all we know, his life could be in danger right now.

So what the hell am I still doing here?

--

It took me a while to find Baro’s house, since I’ve only been there once. I was lucky my parents were in another argument that they didn’t notice I had left again. It was already about to hit midnight and I didn't really have much of an excuse to tell my parents if they saw me leaving.

The moment I reached Baro’s house, I didn’t hesitate to barge straight in. Which was stupid of me, now that I think about it. What I should have done was call the police beforehand, just in case. But at that moment, I was just thinking about what could be happening to Baro at the moment and that I had to stop it.

But the moment I stepped foot into the house, I regretted it immediately.


I apologize for the lack of Baro in the chapter. It was mainly a Jaehyun x Sandeul friendship chapter lol. And I apologize if some parts seemed a bit rushed. I had a lot of writers block in this chapter.