1

Developing Friendship

I hate you.

And you.

Oh, and you.

You're just plain annoying.

And I wouldn't mind if something really bad happen to you.

I hate you all.


I glared around my health class, completely annoyed at the thought that I have to be stuck here for 45 minutes every single day.

I hate every single person in this room. And everybody else in the school, as a matter of fact. Being forced in an all-boy school has to be one of the most horrific thing to face in life. I can't wait until I get out. So many of the guys here are annoying and a great pain to be around. I don't even understand how I manage to come here everyday without ripping my own head off already.

The thing I have to say that I hate the most in this school, is the peppy teacher standing in front of the classroom. Oh gosh. How can anybody be so hyped up like he is at 7:25 in the morning? It's abnormal.

My annoyance kept raising as the minutes passed by.  And although I sat in the back, away from everybody else, it still pissed me off that I have to be in the same room with these people.

We were given half of the period to complete some stupid worksheet about stress and how to deal with it. I don't mind doing the work, but looking at that stupid cartoon dog that was printed on the worksheet really annoyed me. What are we? Five? We don't need to have stupid cartoons on our worksheets just to get us to do our work. We're in high school, I'm pretty sure we're mature enough to do it without having to look at a stupid dog in the process.

Besides, why do we need to do a worksheet about stress anyways? I don't have stress in my life. So why do I need to do it? And I'm quite sure none of the guys in here have stress either. They're all rich, for crying out loud. They can just buy their way out of any problems they have.

Seriously. I regret  never going to health class last year. Then I wouldn't be stuck having it this year first thing in the morning, repeating the whole class all over again. You see, this school has an absent limit. You're only allowed to be absent from class for a certain number of times and if you excel that amount, you have no choice but to repeat that class all over again. And since I never even bothered to go to Health Class last year, I'm stuck taking this class again this year.

And this class is full of idiots.

If you were to ask my parents why I think this class is full of idiots, they would claim it's because I'm antisocial. And they think I'm antisocial because I don't like communicating with the people around me. I'm not antisocial. I just choose not to talk to these people.

You see, I've only known the people in this school since last year, since last year was the first time I began going to an-all boys school. And I've grown to dislike about every single one of them. I try not to pay any attention to them, but they just piss me off so much.

Another reason my parents call me antisocial is because I never go out. Well, of course. Who on Earth would I hang out with? I don't have friends. I don't have a social life. I spend all my time at home eating or sleep. I don't have time to go out and do things.

People would tell me (well, those who actually try to make conversation with me) that I'm hard to approach. Apparently to them, I have this dark aura around me. It's as if I have this dark cloud hovering above my head and if anybody tries to go near me then a part of that dark cloud will rip off and go to them. It's stupid, but I guess I like it. That means people doesn't try to go near. And I like that.

So I purposely have this dark aura. I don't like people so I don't want them to come near me. It's not that hard to understand.

"Alright class," the teacher said, a bit too brightly for my liking. He clapped his hands together to grab the class's attention. "We'll go over the worksheet now."

Some of the students groaned, annoyed that they have to do more work. Some cheered, glad that their work wasn't going to be collected and graded. I could've cared less. I didn't even do my work in the first place.

The teacher began calling different students to answer a question each, so that gave me the opportunity to daydream. Since I'm hardly noticed in class, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be called. The teacher, like most, tend to forget I'm even there. So by the time the class was on the last two questions, I had forgotten where I was and was in lost in my thoughts. And because of that, I hadn't notice that my name was actually called.

"Junghwan?" Mr. Park said with that stupid annoying smile of his, "Please read number 13 and answer the question."

Junghwan. God, I hate that name.

I glanced over at the teacher, my face empty of emotions. I remained silent as I just stared straight at Mr. Park. I wasn't in any mood to answer a stupid question about dealing with stress. Especially when the question was on a worksheet with a stupid picture of a dog. I could feel the rest of the class turning their gaze to my direction as they waited for me to say something.

"Junghwan, please read the question and give us an answer."

I didn't even bother to look down at the worksheet. The whole time, me and Mr. Park was having some kind of staring contest and from the way he swallowed an invisible lump, I was pretty sure I was winning. Any second now, Mr. Park was going to let out a sigh and a then sk the next person to answer instead. Just to get the lesson going again.

And that's exactly what happened. He sighed and asked the person two seats away from me to answer instead.

On the outside, I might have been emotionless. But on the inside, I was smiling proudly to myself. Only someone with an innocent face like me can get out of answering a stupid question from a stupid worksheet. I hate my face though.

It's not that I'm unattractive. In fact, I'm quite good looking, if I must say so myself. The problem is that I'm cute. A little too cute. And because of this cute face, when I first meet a person, they tend to automatically assume I'm this sweet and kind kid. And that pisses me off a lot. But eventually, they're proven wrong.

But a good thing about this face is that teachers and adults leave me alone a lot. They never call on me to answer a question or to speak out loud in front of the class. That's great because I like to spend most of class time daydreaming.

The school bell rang, signalling that class was finally over. Everybody packed up and left as they headed to their next class. I was a bit glad because in my next class, which is Global, I sit all the way in the back and so my teacher never notices me, which gives me the opportunity to sleep the whole class period. I waited for the class to be a third empty before packing up myself. I didn't like being one of the first to leave because then you have to push people just to get out of the class. It's too much of a hassle. Also, the hallway is always full and there's always that one idiot who stands in the middle, blocking people from walking through.

"Junghwan, may I speak with you for a moment?"

I groaned loud enough for only myself to hear and glanced over at Mr. Park. His waved his hand for me to go over to his desk and by the time I reached him, he was looking through his grading book. "You do know that participation is 20% of your grade?"

I nodded my head. Please let me get out of here.

"And your grades are dropping because of it. When I ask you to answer a question, I expect you to answer it. Not just stare at me. Also, you hardly hand in any of your classwork and that's affecting your grades as well." I nodded my head again.

"Is there a reason why you're always so quiet?" I shook my head.

"Are you sure?" I nodded this time.

"Any problems outside of school?" I shook my head again.

May I leave? I don't like being around your presence.

Mr. Park sighed as he closed his grading book. "Alright, you can leave."

Without a word, I turned around and walked away. I didn't want to be in that class or near him for another minute.

I wasn't lying when I said there wasn't any problems outside of school. I have a good family. One that takes well care of me. I get fed 3 times a day. I have a well amount of clothes to keep me warm. I have something comfortable to sleep on, and I have a place to go to for shelter. Seriously, what more do I need?

The only reason I'm so distant from everyone is because... well, actually, there isn't a real reason. I was known to be a good boy growing up. Sure, I didn't play with the other kids as much as I should, but I don't blame that for me being to distant now. I liked playing alone. I was my own boss. I didn't have to share with the other kids or make sure they were having fun as well. I only had to worry about myself. I see no need for having to worry about another soul but my own. It was too much of a hassle.

The rest of the school passed regularly. I went to my classes, except for 4th Period.. I didn't like my 4th Period class the most. It was full of upperclassmen, and I felt so small being around them. That's what I get though for being put in an advance math class. I made an excuse to sit out of gym, like always, and I spent my only lunch period in the library and away from the annoying brats in the cafeteria. A usual day as always.

The down fall was that I happened to miss the bus after school and I was forced to walk home. I'm not one for any sort of physical activities and having to take a 30 minute walk just to get to my apartment was not fun at all.

But I finally made it home around 3. I opened the door to my apartment and kicked my shoes off by the door. "Mom, I'm still alive," I called out as I walked to the refrigerator in the kitchen and drank some milk straight out from the carton.

My mom walked in while finishing putting her ear ring. She was all dressed up in a fancy red dress as if she was going out soon. "What's with the getup?" I asked as I stared at her while she looked for something in the draws.

"Go put on your best clothes," she replied. "Did you see where I put my lipstick?"

"It's in the living room by the small piggy bank. Why do I need to put on my good clothes?" I drank some more milk from the carton, and got a glare from my mother that obviously read she wanted me to drink milk like a proper citizen.

"We're going to a party. Now go get dress," she grabbed my wrist and pushed me a little out of the kitchen.

"Party? On a Tuesday?" What kind of idiot throws a party on a Tuesday? And what idiot would invite my family?

"It's for Mrs. Yang's 5 year-old-son. He's turning 6 today. We were invited at the last minute. Now hurry up. We're leaving the moment your father comes home."

I glanced over at the clock and frowned. He was around the time for him to come home soon. "Wait, why do I have to go?" I hated parties. Especially kids parties. And especially when it's a family friend's party. I actually just don't like any sort of social gathering.

"Because, she invited the family. And you're part of the family. Now hurry and change!" She pushed me harder, but that didn't make me go to my room to change. Instead, it just pissed me off.

"Can't I stay home? Just tell her I'm sick or something."

"And get her worried? No thank you."

I rolled my eyes. She wouldn't worry for me. And if she did, it'll only be so she'll look like a good person. Those type of people annoy me.  "You know I don't like parties. So why force me to go to one? All I do is sit in the corner like a loner and wait until we go home."

"I'm sure they'll be at least one person you can talk to." This time my Mom grabbed me by my school uniform and dragged me to my small room at the end of the hall. "Sandeul, hurry and change!"

"Geez, I'm going," I mumbled under my breath.

Before you ask, Sandeul is my nickname. It was the nickname I was given by my uncle who doesn't live near us anymore. Since I hate the name Junghwan so much, I perfer it much better when I'm addressed as Sandeul instead. I know, the nickname is bad, but it's better than Junghwan.

And within an hour, I was sitting in the corner of an unfamiliar house while kids widely ran around and adults chattered loud enough for the next door neighbors to hear. I sighed in annoyance.

I want to go home.

I glared to my Mom, who was chatting with Mrs. Yang and then glare to my Dad who was joking around with the other dads who were probably forced here by their wives.

I hate parties. I hate being in a house full of people I don't know or want to know. It annoys me. Seeing a bunch of people dancing and talking so loudly. It's supposed to be a child's party, yet all the adults here are acting like it's a teen's party.

And I really have to pee too.

"Hey kiddo." I looked up to see an over weight man in his thirties standing in front of me smiling a bit too brightly for my liking. "Aren't you bored sitting here all by yourself?"

Why, yes Mister, who I'm amusing is Mr. Yang. I am quite bored. In fact, I'm close to the expression "bored to death". I clearly don't want to be here. I want to be home. Where there is a bathroom. So I can pee. Because I really need to pee. But I'm quite sure you could careless.

I shook my head though, so that this man can leave me alone and hopefully I could daydream until my family goes home.

"I'm pretty sure you are. If you're bored, why not go to the backyard? There's a few kids hanging out there. Why not join them?"

Sir, sadly you know nothing about me if you think I'd easily hang out with a bunch for kids that I don't know just because you told me to. What kind of idiot do you take me for? I don't want to go out to mingle. I want to go to the bathroom. 

I was about to shake my head again to let him know that I prefer sitting by myself than going out to the backyard. But before I could even move an inch, Mr. Yang grabbed my hand and dragged me towards the back. We entered the backyard where all the little kids were playing and running around. Mr. Yang then pointed all the way to the back, where 3 kids around my age were hanging out. One was a chubby cheeked girl, another was a big boned boy and the last was a lean short boy. What caught my attention was the lean boy. His hair was dyed blonde, almost white, and it made him stand out a little too much. It looked really stupid in my opinion.

"Hey kiddos!" Mr. Yang shouted to them as he continued to drag my wrist, "I got a new friend for you guys."

When we reached the three kids, Mr. Yang patted my back and then walked away to the other dads.

The three kids looked at me and I simply glared back. I wanted to leave. Preferably where there is a bathroom. The big boned boy smiled and waved at me first, "Hey! I'm Daehyun. This is Heeyoung and this is Sunwoo."

I blinked. These people have weird names. And that's coming from a kid named Sandeul.

I just nodded my head but didn't introduced myself.

"And your name is?"

I blinked at the blond headed boy as he asked the question, once again my face expressionless. I have a question for you. Where's the bathroom around here?

The big boned nervously chuckled after realizing I wasn't going to answer the question any time soon. "That's alright. If you're shy, you don't need to tell us." I'm not shy. I just don't want to talk to you people. You're lucky I'm even standing near you guys.

The three of them realized I wasn't the talkative type, so after a while, they began conversing without me. I still stood next to them, just in case Mr. Yang decided to come back and check on us. I didn't want him to bother me more than he already did.

It was getting dark so I new that the party was going to start being held inside. The parents brought the kids in, but a few adults stayed outside. The three kids we talking about whether to go in or not.

"Let's go, Heeyoung," Daehyun said as he pulled on her shirt, "It's getting chilly out here." Heeyoung agreed and soon the two of them headed inside where it was warm.

Sunwoo started to follow them when he suddenly stopped and turned to me, "Aren't you coming?"

Huh, that's a bit surprising. Usually people forget about my presence.

But I shook my head. I wanted to stay outside where I was away from everyone.

Sunwoo glanced back at the house and then sat back down besides me at the table the three of us were sitting at. "Then I'll stay out here too."

Why? Was what I wanted to ask.

"You look like you need company," he said as if he read my mind. That scared me a bit. What if he's a mind reader? No, then he would have been scared of me by now. You can't imagine the thoughts that run through my head when I'm annoying. And trust me, I'm really annoyed right now.

I looked away when suddenly my Mom came from inside the house. "Sandeul, honey! The cake is being cut! Do you want any?"

I heard the kid beside me snicker, probably at my nickname. "No, Mom," I mumbled but it was loud enough for her to hear.

"You sure honey? It's ice cream cake!"

"No thanks."

"Well, okay then. But I'll save you a piece just in case!"

I sighed as she went back inside, all giddy at the thought that there was cake.

"Sandeul. That's your name?" He was obviously amused by it.

I looked over at Sunwoo and glared. "It's a nickname. My real name is Junghwan." Atleast it's better than Sunwoo. Only by a little though, because Junghwan will always be a dumb name.

Sunwoo chuckled again and waved his hand at me, "I have a nickname too. Mine is a bit more embarrassing. It's Baro."

I had to hold in a snicker. Baro? That's a stupid name.

"Don't laugh," he said, though he was smiling himself, "My grandma gave me that name when I was born. She thought Sunwoo was a weird name so she gave me her own personal nickname."

"But why Baro?" I asked, a bit too amused at his name.

"I don''t know. She passed away a few weeks after my birth. So the name kind of stuck to me."

I remained silent as I looked away. "What about you? Why is your name Sandeul?" Sunwoo chuckled again. I wanted to punch him.

I looked back at him as I thought for a moment. "I don't know," I honestly answered, "My Uncle likes to give his nephew and nieces weird nicknames. Since I was the last nephew he had, he gave me the weirdest one he could think of. My Mom liked it though. A bit too much," I mumbled the last part to myself as I glared towards the house, where my Mom was in. Probably stuffing her face with cake.

"Aren't you going to get cake?" I randomly asked. I wondered why he was wasting his time out here with me when there's cake inside.

"I'm not allowed to eat ice cream. My parents are health freaks. It's weird, but that's why I have such a great body"

I nodded my head as if I understood what he meant. In reality, I didn't. What kind of person does not eat junk food, even once in a while?

Without realizing it, me and Sunwoo began having a conversation that lasted for about two hours. We ended up being the only two outside after it got completely dark, that even the adults headed inside. He was the one talking the most though, and I only jumped in every now and then so things wouldn't get too awkward. He talked about the co-ed school he went to while I let him in on how an all-boy school was.

"Man, I can't imagine going to a school without any girls," Sunwoo said as he shook his head in disbelief. "Is it true that about half of the guys in an all-boy school are gay?"

I blinked at him, and if I could, I would have glared at him. Clearly he seems like the type of person that'll believe in anything he hears. "I don't mind having no girls. High school girls are annoying and only cause drama. And about the gay thing, I don't know. I don't pay attention to people's uality."

Sunwoo nodded his head, "So that means you don't have a girlfriend?"

"I'm not planning on one."

Sunwoo laughed, I don't know why since I didn't say anything that sounded funny. "I like you Sandeul. Your straight up attitude amuse me."

"It's not an attitude," I mumbled. "I just think in a harsh way, is all."

Sunwoo chuckled again and soon we fell into a silence. That's when I remembered, I have to still pee. I began shaking my leg, hoping it'd calm my bladder down.

"Are you okay?" Sunwoo asked, when he noticed my shaking leg.

"I have to pee."

Sunwoo burst out into a laughter, which really confused me. Did he find my bladder that funny? He continued to laugh until he had to hold onto his stomach. I don't know why, but watching him laugh made me want to go pee even more. Which didn't help my case at all.

After Sunwoo calmed down a little, he looked at me with a big smile on his face, "You're so odd."

I'm the odd one? Am I the one who laughs when people say they need to pee? I think not.

I was about to defend myself when somebody suddenly called out to us. "Baro dear, we're going home!"

Baro frowned. "Alright Mom! I'll see you at the car!"

I watched as Baro stood up and stretched his arms out. "It was nice meeting you," he said with a smile.

"Likewise," I mumbled back. What a lie.

He walked away, but after a few steps turned back around and walked back to me. "Hey, do you mind if we exchange numbers? You know, in case we want to hang out again?" I was about to reject his offer, but then I thought 'What the heck?' I see nothing wrong with exchanging numbers. Besides, I was pretty sure after a few weeks, he'll forget he even had my number. Everyone always seems to forget about me.

I ended up giving him my number, in which he said he'll call later so I'd get his. With that, Sunwoo said he last goodbye before jogging inside the house, leaving me alone outside. And still full of pee.

My family then left the party about 30 minutes after Sunwoo. The first thing I did when I got home was pee, of course. I could have peed at the party, but peeing in other people's houses is just too awkward. While peeing, I heard my phone beep from my bedroom. I got confused because I nobody ever messges me, but I figured it was just a spam text from some company or something.

After I was done peeing, I opened the text message and read the 6 words that appeared from the unknown number. Automatically, I knew who it was.

From: (xxx)xxx-xxxx
Did you get to pee yet?