Unknown.

Crossed Paths

“Why are you so bloody annoying?! Didn’t I tell you to leave already? Why are you still circling around me like an irritating housefly?! Can’t you just leave me alone?!”

“So you are only interested in the IOU huh?”

“The IOU is gone and so is the contract. Now. You are free to go. Go on and leave me! I am telling you to leave too! Leave!”

Ren’s harsh words kept replaying in Min Ji’s mind and no matter how hard she tried to block them out they just managed to find their way to her. She wanted to stop the heart ache. She wanted to pull back all the feeling she had unknowingly put in. She wanted to forget everything.

“Shut up! I am asking you to shut up! Just shut up please…” She begged as she closed her eyes.

Tears began falling and she felt utterly pathetic. However, she didn’t stop them. She just let them flow all out hoping it would make her feel better that way.

“Everything is gone…” She mumbled between tears.

Without the IOU, they no longer needed to talk, communicate or interact. They were back to strangers just like before. The happiness which Min Ji was supposed to experience at the end of the contract vanished without a trace and was replaced with sadness. Closing her eyes, she wanted to sleep because she would then forget. Even if it was temporarily, she wanted to forget the incident and pretend nothing of such had happened. She hoped everything would somehow turn out fine tomorrow.

The next day at school…

Covering up her puffy eyes with her concealer, Min Ji left for school. As she walked through the school gates, she heard screams from behind. Without turning back, she knew who it was. It was definitely NU’EST.

“No, Park Min Ji. Don’t turn back. Walk on.” She told herself in her mind.

As the screams out louder and more deafening, Min Ji eventually found herself turning around. As she turned around, she saw how Ren walked past her as if she was invisible. He looked straight, made no eye contact and walked past expressionlessly. At that moment, she felt her heart drop.  

“Ren oppa, are you alright?”

“Ren oppa, fighting!”

“Everything will be fine!”

Min Ji thought she heard those fan girls scream out loud. Those tears subsided in time when Na Ra walked up to her. With a fake smile, Min Ji greeted Na Ra who looked weird too.

“Did you know…” she paused.

“What?” Min Ji asked.

“Ren oppa’s…” She paused again.

“Ren? What’s wrong?” She questioned.

“His father passed away the night before when he was in schedule… The news was officially released only last night. Oppa must have been really sad. My heart is aching along with his, you know? I-” Na Ra was going on and on that she didn’t realize Min Ji had run off.

She didn’t know where she was running to but Na Ra’s words replayed in her mind non-stop. That was the reason. He was upset and needed time alone yesterday and she annoyed him. He didn’t mean those words he said. He didn’t do those hurtful things on purpose.

“I am telling you to leave too! Leave!” She remembered his words.

“Pabo. Why didn’t I realize he said the word ‘too’? Damn.” Min Ji cursed.

She reached the classroom and found Ren’s seat empty. She was panting as sweat trickled down her forehead. She was disappointed and started evaluating where he could be. Turning behind, she found herself face to face with JR. Lady Luck was on her side then, she was certain.

“Where is Ren?” she asked.

“He needs some time alone so he went to the rooftop.” He informed.

“Thank you.” She thanked him quickly before running up the stairs.

Barging through the rooftop door, Min Ji saw Ren standing alone there. The wind blew and his hair flew a little. His lone figure looked extremely lonely and sad at that moment which made Min Ji feel like hugging him to give him some warmth. Walking up to him slowly, she stopped in her track.  

“Ren.” She called out.

“Leave me alone.” He said and looked away coldly.

“I heard about your appa already. I…I am sorry for yesterday and if you need someone to talk to, I can list-” She went on saying.

“You are seriously not going to leave?!” He questioned.

She nodded slightly with clenched fists.

“If you are not going to leave then just stay still.” He instructed.

She looked at him in confusion and the next moment, Min Ji found Ren hugging her tightly. He buried his face into her shoulders and she merely froze in position. She thought she heard him cry and her shoulders getting wet.

“I… I missed my appa… I don’t know why this has to happen? Why my father? Why him? I still have not support him… I just began earning money by myself and I even told him before I would earn a lot to provide for him. I promised him to live his legend.  I became a singer to fulfill his dreams but he’s no longer here to see me on stage. You know what?  I regretted. I regretted being an idol. It is because of that god damn stage that made me miss my umma’s call and lose my last chance to see him… I feel so sad and lost… I know I have to be strong for my umma but I just can’t. I am only 17 and I feel so useless when I see umma cry. I don’t know what to do. Tell me what I can do alone?” he mumbled under his breath.

 “Everything will be fine and you’re not alone. You have your friends, members and… me to stay by your side. We won’t leave you. We will get it through together. Your appa wouldn’t want to see you like this too so you have to stay strong.” Min Ji comforted as she wiped off those tears.

Ren felt his heart ease at Min Ji’s words which had a soothing effect on him. He felt like she could understand him. Then, he knew he was not alone like what he thought.

“Thank you. I feel so much better after pouring everything out to you.” He said with a smile which vanished since that day.

Min Ji blushed and looked down shyly. Ren sat down with his back against the wall and patted the spot beside him. Min Ji walked over and sat beside him too.

“Missing a day lesson should be fine, I guess.” She said and they both laughed.

Hours later…

They talked about many things which helped Ren slowly feel better.

“Are we still… friends?” Min Ji asked.

“Nope. Debtor and creditor relationship.” Ren answered jokingly.

“Yah. Today is the last day of our lame relationship. What relationship are we from tomorrow onwards if we are not friends? Don’t tell me we are back to enemies again?” she questioned with a frown.

“How about… Be my girlfriend?” he inquired.

“Bwoh?!” She exclaimed in shock.

“You… don’t like me?” he asked.

“Ani, I…I…” She stuttered, not knowing what to say.

“Then just be mine.” He commanded as he hugged her again.

“I…” Min Ji still didn’t know how to react.

“I need you.” He said sincerely.

Tears of joy spilled as she finally digested what was going on.

“I like you without myself knowing.” She confessed.

“I like you too.” Ren said as he tightened the hug.

This girl was someone he wouldn’t let go of for the rest of his life. Ren was certain about that.  

“Appa, didn’t you ask me to go after her? Can you see? I managed to get the girl I told you I liked that time… Are you proud of me up there? Min Ki promises you that I would make the people around me happy like how you did.” Ren thought in his mind.

Unknown to the couple, as the confession was going on, someone was behind the walls the whole time. She witnessed everything and was stifling her cries.

 

Author's Note:
Sorry for the slow update! :X
I hope this chapter didn't turn out too horrible.D:
At this note, I want to clarify that I am definitely not cursing Ren's father here and everthing is purely fictional.
The plot just struck me since a long time ago when I knew Ren decided to become an idol to fulfil his father's wish which was to become an idol too.
Hope you guys will comment and note that the next chapter would be the final chapter already!
Thank you for reading 'Crossed Paths' <3 !
I love gyuwifey, mikeandikelover and maiangel109 so much for commenting :DD!
Thank you ! (: You guys are my main motivation for this chapter update! ^^