Chapter 10

Beyon The Surface

What you allow is what will continue

 

"Long time no see brother. I taught you were already six feet under." Jongup said and smirked tilting his head to the side. However contrary to his words he seemed not surprised at all to see his old friend in front of him - and alive.

 

„I was dead, mentally and emotionally. I was in the depths of hell rotting away. But I came back, so that I can take you to where I've been, for eternity" Youngkuk voiced trough gritted teeth. Seeing this very men stand in front of him and smile like that made him angrier then he thought he would get.

 

Youngkuk as a leader knew the tendencies of all of s and he knew that Moon Jongup was a straight up a sadist. He enjoyed brutal torture he pulled on people. Be it mental or physical. So asking him why he had betrayed them seemed like a wasteful thing to to. Youngkuk could guess the reason. He loved the members like brothers but that didn’t give him the guarantee that they did the same.

 

Youngkuk let a heavy breath out of his nose as he eyed the men in front of him.

 

„You are awfully quiet.“ Jongup spoke up. „I thought we had a lot to catch on.“ he smirked devilishly.

 

„There is only one thing that I had to catch up on with you“ and in an instant Youngkuk let his action speak for themselves as he moved the gun he hid behind his back to the front pointing its nose at Jongup.

 

Still Jongup was fast and used his leg to kick the arm that held the gun making it fly out of Youngkuks hand in the process.

 

Youngkuk grunted at the pain. But couldn’t catch a break as Jongup threw a punch at him which Youngkuk skillfully dodged. But jongup was thinking to fast and had his gun already pulled out. Youngkuk grabbed the fist holding the gun and moved it away from his face just when Jongup pulled the trigger. The shot went to waste.

 

Youngkuk being the taller and stronger one used this advantage to push Jongup back to a corner to get the upper hand. While doing so Jongup fired more and more shots in desperation of hitting him but it was all in vain as his arm was held above his head by the stronger male.

 

It was then when Youngkuk thought he had him where he wanted to when Jongup fired another shot which hit a fatal target.

 

It was a can that stood on the far corner of the room. It wasn’t empty though. The can reacted the moment it got hit by the bullet and exploded with a deafening sound and aggressive yellow and reddish flames. The liquid mixed with the heat and the friction caused a humongous fire cloud to spread out from the can.

 

The light it send out was blinding and the two where flung back by the strong wave of fire and air.

 

Youngkuk's vision blurred as he heard a beeping sound in his ears preventing him from balancing his body. He shielded his eyes while simultaneously trying to keep his posture.

 

The room they where in caught more fire with each passing second and Youngkuk's rationale side told him that it was the best if he got the hell out of there especially since this room on the basement had no windows and just two doors, one of them letting to the starts to go up again. But it was getting closed by the flames each second as the can just had to happen be beside it.  And the other one let to a little storage room, which also was falling victim to the burn.

 

Youngkuk clicked his tongue in annoyance.

 

Yeah, it was best to get the hell out of here if he wanted to stay alive.

 

He had lost sight of Jongup the moment they where shaken by the explosion and was looking around frantically.

 

Just than he caught Jongup’s back limping to the storage room. He was desperately trying to walk past the dancing flames. His trousers dangerously close to them.

 

Youngkuk's nose burned from the burnt air that had enveloped the room and he had to cough a few times before he found his voice.

 

"You idiot, if you walk in you are dead!" He screamed at Jongup.

 

"Would be in your best interest, no?" He heard Jongup's amused voice and almost lost it again.

 

"You jerk, I know what you are trying. The money inside probably has caught flames already we need to get out of here if we want to stay alive. The door up there is our only escape!” He said instead.

 

Youngkuk didn’t know what feelings lied inside him for saying that, he was here to kill him. And not save him.

 

But it was like his mouth worked on its own.

„Screw the damn cash and let's get out!"

Youngkuk walked to him grabbing his wrist before Jongup could jump in to the flames.

 

Why did he even do that? Why was he trying to get out together? Damn why? Didn’t he owe his comrades the satisfactory to rest in peace by bringing an end to Jungup?

 

Jongup turned to him with such hatred reflected in his eyes and didn't waste another second to point his gun at Youngkuk's forehead.

 

Youngkuk's pushed his hand up as the gun was fired again but Jongup used this to kick him in his stomach.

 

Youngkuk fell back with a stinging pain on his elbow and looked up immediately to find his old mate and the men he loathed threw himself into the flames.

 

The flames him in like he was made out of paper. For whatever reason Jongup jumped in the flames was not worth it because he won't be coming back out again. Neither with the Money nor without.

 

Just like the gates of hell the flames closed themselves in front of the door.

 

Jongup was so blinded by his greed that he lost his sanity as he saw the money in flames.

He was ready to exchange his body and soul for some bills.

 

Youngkuks face moved up to the ceiling. Tears pricking his eyes. He was trying so hard to avoid getting blood on his hands. He was wishing, praying. And here he witnessed that he was granted his wishes as the angel of death gave him a special favor by not making him dirty his hands.

 

"That's how this world works. You die they way you lived your life..." he spat to the floor.

 

* * * * *

 

"How can you guys be feared by the whole country? You aren't even strong enough to defend yourselves." Himchan stood in front of Zico who by now was lying on the ground bruised and wounded.

 

He aimed at Zico with his gun ready to take out his soul with it when-

"Stop." It was probably the only voice that could actually make Himchan lower his gun in front of the enemy because Himchan always ended what he started.

 

He turned around to see his leader stand at the door frame one hand covering his arm which dripped with a thin line of blood. His clothes partly burned, ripped and with his appearance a smell of something burning caught his nose.

 

“What-“ Himchan couldn’t finish his thoughts as he noticed another thing.

 

Youngkuk was alone.

 

"Where is that son of a ?" He asked ignoring Zico’s motionless body on the floor as he walked to Youngkuk.

 

"He hasn't changed at all." Youngkuk said "we are done here" and glanced at Zico who was fighting hard to stay conscious. "Sorry for the trouble."

 

With that, both men left in the most calm and nonchalant way as if they hadn't come here with the solemn purpose of wrecking havoc.

 

Zico didn't relax until they where out of sight before he let out a long exhausted breath.

 

I should go back to underground rapping...he thought to himself still lying where he was.

 

* * * * *

 

"Hyung I can't reach Jongkook and V" Baekhyun appeared next to Youngkuk as he looked back to the base. "You don't think they got caught?" He voiced his worries.

 

"Nah, we would've came across it if they where." Himchan spoke instead.

 

"You don't think they ran away, they are both still young and haven’t been to such a mission before.” Sehun said.

 

"I'm," Youngkuk spoke with all the might he had left "not sure."

 

Himchan held him tighter so he did not fall. "As long as they are not in hands of the ghosts we don't have to worry. They probably hid themselves somewhere. The important thing is to get the hell out of here."

 

* * * * * *

 

Sunggyu knew that the mission would take long but for it to be this long gave him an uneasy feeling. Especially since he couldn't reach any of the members for the past hour. And having to sit in the van desperately waiting for them started to get on his nerve.

 

It was then when he saw a couple of black vans circle the base from afar that he straightened up in his seat.

 

He immediately recognized what they where, the SWAT team.

 

"" he cursed under his breath and spit the tooth pick out while trying to call any of the members again.

 

Who the hell called them here?

 

He just saw from afar how the members of the SWAT team exited from the van looking like ants filling the base on by one.

 

He couldn't reach anyone and gave up getting all sweaty just in seconds from all the stress he was put into.

 

The base was in a deserted area and the only possibility for the government having heard anything meant there was a snitch. But he didn't knew from who's side and what the motive would be.

 

The base was still quite but that didn't help him calm down and Sunggy had no other choice than to be nailed to his seat. Him jumping in would not benefit the team at all and running away was not something he ever considered.

 

He tapped his fingers anxiously on the steering wheel while repeating “get out” like a mantra.

 

Suddenly at the far end of the road on the hill he was he saw a little figure approach him. His heart felt to his stomach. Reflexively he duck down so that he couldn't be seen.

 

The figure neared in a steady speed and the closer he got the more visible his features got. And they weren't just visible but familiar as well.

 

Upon seeing him relief washed over Sunggy and he got off the van quickly. He closed the door and was about to take a step towards the member when a thought hit him.

 

"Why are you the only one returning?" He asked and knew that his tone sounded all taunting. His breathing got uneven as his eyes pierced the other parties face.

 

The male looked up at him with a little smile on his face. “What do you mean, that was the plan all along." He voiced and all the alarms chimes in Sunggyu's head as he pulled the gun out of his belt aiming it at him.

 

However the other side didn’t seem surprised or fazed at all and Sunngyu wondered if the person in front of him was who he knew.

 

„Lower your gun. If they hear a gun shot from here they come for you like a bunch of hunters." the men said and took a step forward.

 

„Don't come closer you rat!" Sunggy yelled half quiet not intending to lower his gun. He was surprised and disappointed of what he was confronted with. „Since when have you switched sides you little ? Or was it an act from the beginning? So we took you in as a friend and you betrayed us like that?!". Questions over questions overlapped.

 

„Betraying doesn't make sense here since I was never on your side to begin with." he said and stood right in front of Sunggyu. „And yes it was an act, from the beginning. I think I did a pretty good job didn't I?" he said chuckling to himself.

 

„I can't believe it we trusted you, Jungkook even saw you as his friend. I can't believe you V!" the hand Sunggyu held the gun with was starting to tremble.

 

„Yeah, hope that does teach him to not befriend people when you are part of a gang." V spoken in a nonchalant tone angering Sunggyu even more.

 

„You pice of !" He said trough gritted teeth.

 

"Me? Why? I didn't ruin the life of families, torture people to get my hands on their money and delude young teens to make them to vicious tools ruining their futures." V countered and motioned with his head to the base.

 

By now the SAWT Team had captured members from both gangs and where dragging them to the vans.

 

He looked back at Sunggyu. “You know one thing I learned from being a spy for a few years now ist that we can't trust anything we see with our own eyes, or hear with our own ears because not everything we see is the truth, not everyone who smiles at us is a friend.

The saying has a reason, Live with your eyes wide open. Don't forget that, my friend. Beyond the surface everything looks nice and fun. We are masters at pretending to not notice warning since. So we shouldn’t act surprise when once those ignored signs come to hunt us.” V spoke with a vice that was so unfamiliar to him that it literally send shivers down his spine. His persona had completely changed.

 

“So, what will you do now? If you run away they won't know you where part of this." V said and walked closer. "You can use this opportunity to change the course of your life. Don’t be trapped in deceptive loyalties.“ he whispered.

 

Sunggyus mind went on over drive. He felt the gun in his hand become heavier and heavier, daring to fall out of his grip.

 

Was a change possible?

Was a change for me possible?

Am I not already in to deep?

But then, why am I given the chance to chose now?

 

The End

 

Author's Note: This is the last chapter. The next chapter will conclude with an Epilogue.