The Urgent Favour

The River: Origin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yeonjun stood in front of the large doors, breathing softly. He reached up to fix the collar of his shirt, parting his hair to the side and taking a bold step forward. He walked through the gates and waved at the guards he recognised. He followed them into the house, a place he would once consider his home, a place that held precious memories with his family and friends.

He looked at the interior of the house, the long hallways and the perfectly tidied living room, and he smiled, seeing that nothing seemed to have changed. The grand chandelier was still intact, and the old carpet was most likely replaced with a lookalike. He slowly made his way towards the couch, letting his hand gently touch the armrest.

“It’s been a while.”, he said to himself as he took a seat. With his eyes fixed on the carpet, he recollected all the memories he built with his dear friends.

He then imagined his beloved butler, rushing about the house with stern eyes, always attentive and observant of his surroundings. He could see his butler tending to everyone’s needs with that gleeful smile, constantly throwing out ridiculous jokes around his group of friends, especially in the kitchen.

Yeonjun didn’t know whether to smile or cry; he realised how much he lost, how many he lost, and how dearly he missed life before the disaster. It was pitiful, heart-breaking, and he feared the outcome of a similar incident taking place again.

Suddenly, a series of hurried footsteps caused him to turn towards the stairs. He widened his smile, tears forming at his eyes at the sight of his mother rushing down the steps to approach him.

It had been a few busy months.

He rose to his feet, making his way towards the smaller woman, wrapping the latter in a warm hug. “I’m home, mom, I’m home. I’m sorry, I’m so sorry for not seeing you earlier.”

“Oh, Yeonjun, my dear. Don’t be sorry, don’t be. I missed you so much. How are you doing? How is work? How is everything going?” The woman led him back towards the couch. She kept her son’s hands within her own as she spoke, “I’ve been so busy travelling and attending online meetings, and I know I should’ve called, but I didn’t, and I feel terrible. I’m so sorry, darling.”

“It’s okay, mom. I’m fine. Everything’s fine. Work is fine, everyone is fine.” He could feel the nervousness building up in his guts. “Don’t feel that way. It’s my fault too. I didn’t contact you.”

He truly wanted to have a relaxed conversation with his mother, but how could he when he was here for a clear reason? How could he when a friend was missing, and another was dead?

“How’s dad?” He tried not to sound too bitter at the mention of his father. “Is he home?”

“Actually, he is. He’s up in his study right now.” The woman got back on her feet. She lifted her son up along with her, only to tilt her head and smile wholeheartedly. “Oh, my son has grown so much. Look at you!”

Yeonjun wished he didn’t have to brush off his mother’s comforting touch, but he had other things to tend to. He turned his head to look at the stairs, before returning his attention back to the lady in front of him. He whispered, “Mom, I can’t explain right now, but I must talk to father about something. It’s urgent.”

“Oh. Umm, okay, dear… Is everything okay?”

Yeonjun didn’t have it in himself to look his mother in the eye and tell her the truth. Instead, he lifted her hands again and pressed a kiss to her knuckles. A sad smile was all that he could show to the confused lady.

With that, he stormed up the stairs, and with each step, a painful lump built up in his throat. Just three years ago, he walked up these same steps with bruises and rashes, injured friends and a heavy heart of fear and sorrow; so much had changed since then, but it killed him inside to realise that he might have to face all the terror again.

“May I enter?” Yeonjun would’ve never knocked, would’ve never been so polite around the man, but he knew he had to be convincing enough for the sake of his friends. He waited for a response, and just as he heard a muffled ‘come in’, he pushed the door open and walked in; the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter