The Great Wall

The River: Origin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was not a second to spare, to breathe or to think. One attack after another, the giantess still kept her ground. Her screams were now almost distorted, uncomfortable to the ear and frightening to pay attention to. She had her fingers wrapped around the crystal protectively, and as she slowly lowered herself to the ground until she was on her knees, she continued to stay put and shield the crystal like her life depended on it.

While the new lookalikes stood close to the black box, Other Jisung continued to inflict small yet sharp wounds over her body. Similarly, while some of the team members stood with their backs stuck against the large wall that they had previously crossed, those with the powers continued to launch their attacks.

The formations and plans that they had prioritised three years ago seemed long forgotten.

Beomgyu made sure he moved left and right, trying to aim for the crystal repeatedly. A series of curses left his lips as he felt his fingers tremble with every alternating ball of hot and cold water he threw at the giantess; he now knew it wasn’t exhaustion but rather the gradual loss of his powers. Realising that it would be meaningless to pause after every attack as it would only mean wasting time, he yelled at the top of his lungs as his legs carried him forward, his hands moving around to bring forth a wave that disrupted everyone’s balance – everyone but the target herself.

“For ’s sake, does she not have any weakness at all?!?”, asked Beomgyu as he watched the water roll off the edge.

“We don’t know yet!” Somehow, hearing an exact replica of his voice from his doppelganger was almost as disturbing as the entire situation itself. “Keep your distance, by the way! Don’t forget that!”

Just as the last drop of water disappeared from the surface, Yuqi deemed it to be a good opportunity to use her regained sense of balance to motion her hands carefully, her eyes focused on the small draft of wind forming in front of her. With her lips tight, she forced the air current to aim for the stubborn fingers around the crystal. She slowly walked to the side to get a better view, and once she found the right angle, she mimicked pulling away those large fingers, watching the wind try and pry the crystal free. Even as the seconds passed, the wind only grew weaker and weaker.

She couldn’t help but feel anxious about the chances of success. “This isn’t working!” She then looked at Beomgyu, realising that it was really just the two of them consecutively attacking the giantess. She noticed how the others seemed confused and nervous instead. “Don’t just stand there, Jisu! ing do something!”

Jisu flinched at that, the loud voice breaking her trance. She nodded, shutting her eyes for a moment, only to feel the weak presence of her temporary power. She then waited for a spear to form in the hold of her fingers, the weapon having a very pointed edge. A part of her was glad that the giantess was kneeling on the ground, giving her better access with her weapon. However, it was bizarre how out-of-reach and tall the creature appeared even without standing. Jisu shook her head to get rid of the sudden rush of nervousness; she then put one foot back, leaning back and then urging forward to target her ice spear at the giantess.

The distorted cry morphed into a desperate, painful cry. The giantess finally moved from her position, rising to her feet. Her eyes seemed blurry and void.

Other Jisung immediately jumped back, taken by surprise. “!”

The giantess momentarily removed the two fingers that were attacked by the spear, only for her to cover the crystal again. With one bold step, she moved across the tall wall, before sitting herself down again. Her body was covered by the wall, with only the tips of her horns visible over the top.

“I can feel the power weakening, we don’t have much time!” Jisu complained as she formed a series of steps that allowed her – and the others if they dared follow – to get to the top of the wall. Halfway through the steps, she turned around upon hearing, at last, a voice of control and assurance.

“We need a plan.” It was Taehyun. He remained close to Kai’s still lifeless body, fearful and worried despite the confidence visible in his eyes. He didn’t bother including Other Jisung in his plan, mainly concerned about how his friends could get this over with already. “The powers are weakening as they are being transferred, so you’ve got to put all your strength into one combined attack. Let Yeosang-hyung be the last one to attack. The rest of you can focus on distracting her and removing her fingers.”

“And if she attacks us?”, asked Beomgyu with an agitated expression. “She’ll be fully adjusted to the platform anytime now. What if sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter