The Open Door

The River: Origin
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai opened his eyes to find himself looking at a carpeted floor he recognised instantly. Groaning at the discomfort in his body and the surging pain in his head, he looked up to see a plain door in front of him, a plaque built onto the centre. Slowly, he pushed himself off his feet, supporting his back against the wall behind him.

He detached himself from the wall, wincing slightly at the way his limbs were aching. He then turned around to see a familiar number plastered on the door.

“Ah, right…” He realised that he stood outside Jisung, Seungmin and Minho’s shared dormitory room, exactly where he was before the whole ordeal that occurred upon being teleported.

Just as he was about to knock on the door, he felt a sharp light hit his face along with a small gust of cool air. The creaking of the door forced him to take a step back, his ears still a little sensitive from all the noise that he had just heard moments ago.

“Kai?”

He smiled softly, slouching over slightly. “Hello.”

He let himself be guided inside by Jisung, until he was seated on the couch. He busied himself with tying his shoelaces, thanking the other for the glass of water and the plate of snacks on the coffee table. He then watched as Jisung took a seat next to him, clearly as confused and exhausted as he was.

“I feel like I might throw up. Are you feeling okay, Kai?”

“I’m just a little shaken up… Where are the others?”

“Hmm, I don’t know. I just came back.” Jisung got off the couch, walking over to a corner where he left his bag, the fabric now dirty and soaked. He fished out his phone, pressing down on the sides until the screen lit up. He began to furiously scroll through, explaining, “I’ll message the group chat. Hopefully, the others will be here.”

“Okay, yeah. I think everyone’s back to where they originally were at before we arrived on the platform. Uh, it seems like it’s been three nights already.” Kai looked to his side to see the moonlight that peeked through the curtains and the windows. He wished it was morning, tired of the darkness that kept following him around.

“Alright, sent it.”, said Jisung as he continued tapping away on his phone. “Let me call- Wait… Where was Minho-hyung last seen?”

At that, Kai perked up. “Uh, in his room, right? There was no report of him ever leaving the dorms, so he must be-”

“!”

Kai got off the couch, watching the other run across the living room and head into one of the three bedrooms. He walked after him, feeling his heartbeat quicken, wondering what he would have to see. He hoped that Minho was safe and sound, and he hoped that the others would be here soon.

However, a sudden knock at the door, although quiet and weak, was enough to distract him from his path.

He tore his gaze away from the open door, only to return his attention back to the bedroom upon hearing a series of muttered curses from Jisung. He immediately rushed into the bedroom, slowing down as he noticed the big change.

A black box.

The one that they had pushed across the platform and forced through the platform.

There it was, sitting in the centre of the room, with no signs of severe damage except for a few scratches and scrapings.

He felt his stomach sink.

“What do we do?”

Jisung shook his head, taking a step back. “We’re supposed to wait until all of us feel adjusted. That’s the safe amount of time for Minho-hyung to be adjusted as well.”

“And then what?”

“Well, I suppose we can break the box and get him out.” Jisung looked a little brighter than before, the relief vivid on his face. “I’m just glad we weren’t tricked. I’m glad he’s here.”

Kai nodded, parting his lips to say something hopeful, only to hear that distant knock again. He shared a curious look with Jisung, before he followed the latter out of the room and headed towards the front door.

As he watched Jisung push down on the handle and swing the door open, Kai felt his stomach sink for the second time

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter