18

Perfection in Pictures

 

What is this feeling!

Bang Yongguk groans as he rolls around on his bed, burying his face in his pillow which effectively muffles out any sound coming from his mouth.

He decides to stop the wrestle fight with his pillow and sits up on his bed determinedly, staring at the man with messed up hair, a somewhat permanent-looking scowl on his face, and dark eye circles hugging his tired eyes.

“You look horrible,” Yongguk tells his reflection.

Somehow, images of certain inked-in corners of Hyorin’s textbook appears in his sea of thoughts.

Does she like me?

A frown appears on his face again as he remembers how quickly Hyorin denies about being his girlfriend in front of a handsome guy.

He squints back at his own reflection, one hand clamping down on his head to flatten the horrible bed hair.

Am I really that bad compared to that Chinese dude?


 

__________________

 



“Ke ai.”

“Hmm?” Himchan turns to look at Luhan, who is currently staring at nothing with a small smile gracing his face. Luhan smiles again before dropping the random twig he has been fiddling with.

The two boys are lying down on a picnic mat laid across the grass under one of the biggest trees in the school. Luhan sits up, propping himself against the tree before picking up another random leaf.

“Kyumi’s friend. Ke ai. Cute.”

Cute...



“Let’s go and ride that!”

Himchan points at a seemingly safe and slow ride, one that’s suspended in mid-air and possibly the most boring ride out of the entire amusement park. He feels the grip on his hand tightening and looks down to face a somewhat frightened Jung Sohyun.

“What? You can’t possibly be scared of that too?” Himchan laughs. “Don’t make me waste my money on you!”

“I’m just scared of heights...”

“There’s nothing to be scared of! It’s slow and it probably won’t kill. And besides, I’m here.”

That seems to convince Sohyun as they both join the long queue. He ruffles her hair and hears her take a defeated sigh as she eyes the ride apprehensively.

“Don’t worry, nothing’s gonna happen,” Himchan tries to reassure her while resisting the urge to smile.


 

__________________

 



“Are you even sure this is safe?”

Sohyun’s question comes out in a mid-whisper, her voice trembling.

“Don’t be stupid,” Himchan grins at her, but he still feels Sohyun’s grip on his hand tighten. He puts his other hand on top of hers, trying to spread some warmth into her cold fingers.


 

__________________

 



“Yah...”

Sohyun squeaks as the ride tilts to one side, grabbing onto Himchan’s arm for dear life.

“Yah pabo... Are you crying?”

He feels what is a random movement on his shoulder and chuckles before pulling said girl into an embrace.

“You’re sooooo cute.”

“Shut up.”




“... you mean Jung Sohyun?” It’s a wonder how he can say her name so naturally but when someone else says it, it is almost as though an apocalypse is happening. For Himchan.

Luhan nods. “Sohyun have boyfriend?”

Himchan freezes. For some reason, his heartbeat rate increases. “I don’t know,” he replies, his voice breathy.

“I want to be her boyfriend,” Luhan laughs.

For a moment there, Himchan feels like doing anything, anything to stop Luhan from laughing. He feels something pressing into his palm. He feels himself clenching his fist. He feels—

“Too bad I don’t live here,” Luhan continues, smiling at him.

Himchan feels his own fist unclench.

What have I done?


 

__________________

 



Jongup stares at that same webpage for a few minutes, unable to come to a decision. It takes him hours, and probably up to a day to find out so much information...

But what for?

He doesn’t dare to go back to his past.

What for, when he already has what he probably can’t have if he goes back to that road of time?

To top all of that, what if the door to his past is locked?

He will not have the key, and he’ll be stuck in between.

Biting his bottom lip, Jongup holds his breath as he hovers the mouse over the ‘Delete History’ button.

One click.

And everything is gone.

A new beginning, Jongup thinks, maybe I should start to try treating everyone a little better.

Like Kyumi, his conscience pokes at him.

“I’m home!”

As he expects, the door to his room swings open. Jongup fakes a cough as a blunt attempt to hide the fact that he is hiding something, but out of the corner of his eye he spots Kyumi’s expression fall.

“You’re looking for your real parents, aren’t you?”

When Kyumi’s message sinks in, it is almost as though Jongup is swallowing something large and heavy; it doesn’t feel right and sinks all the way to the bottom of his stomach, pulling him downwards.

“You knew?” He whispers.

“I... I saw...”

Then something snaps.

“You looked into my laptop?”

“No! I didn’t, I didn’t mean to—”

“In other words you looked into my laptop. Why? You don’t trust me?”

“No! I just... just...” Kyumi falters.

“I hate the way you think you can control me all the time,” Jongup doesn’t yell, but his words pierce. “When I do find my real parents, the first thing I do is to get out of here.”

“I-I’m sorry...”

“I’m sick of the way you try to control my life all the time. I’m sick of you!”

I’m sick of you!

... sick of you!

... of you.


The door slams.

What have I done?


 

________________________________________________

 

( a/n )
WHAT HAVE I DONEEEE
otl. it seems that all i have done is make the story more confusing.
and to those of you who never expected a sohyun/himchan story... well, i kinda hint things in the foreword. /coughthearrangementofthecharactersintheforewordforeshadowsthecouplesthereisgoingtobeunlessitwasn'tclearenoughcough/

and um, ke ai means cute in chinese. 8D

by the way, if some of you are wondering;

age of characters ( from oldest to youngest )
( 19 ) bang yongguk, shin hyorin,
( 18 ) jung daehyun, kim soyeon,
( 17 ) yoo youngjae, moon jongup, kim himchan, jung sohyun, choi junhong, jang kyumi.

so kyumi is our maknae. LOL