Chapter 43 - Approaching

The In Between

You stared at Sungyeol blankly as he walked towards you with no expression, going straight to sit on the seat in front of the mirror, waiting for you to do his hair. You sighed heavily before standing up and went to him. He hadn’t called or texted you since the last time you went out with him. He hadn’t even replied your text or even picked up your call. This just made you worried, but everytime you tried to approach him, he always walked away from you with no expression, clearly ignoring you.

 

You gulped first, before taking the appliances to do his hair. Sungyeol was staring blankly at the mirror, not wanting to meet your gaze. Correction, too afraid to meet your gaze. As you turned your back on him, he stole glances at you and tried to look at you as long as he could. But as you turned around again, Sungyeol would tear away his gaze on you and went back staring blankly at the mirror.

 

Both of you stayed in silence as you did his hair. You felt awkward, and worried inside. ‘Did I do something wrong?’

 

“Uhm, Sungyeol”, you called. He raised up his head and met the gaze of yours.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Why aren’t you replying my texts?”, you asked unsurely. You didn’t want to offend him. Sungyeol wasn’t offended either, he felt guilty. He was about to apologize but then he saw his manager glaring at him from the reflection in the mirror. He gulped nervously as he looked down to his feet.

 

“I’m busy”, he said shortly. You were a bit shocked to hear his short answer. Never once before he replied her this short. ‘What happened?’. You wanted to ask, but somehow you just couldn’t. You ended up shutting your mouth the whole way you did his hair. As you finished with him, he quickly stood up and left you standing there confusedly.

 

Sungyeol felt terribly guilty to act like that towards you. He had no other option than to do it. He was afraid if the manager found out he was nice to you, he would directly fired you and prohibit him from meeting you. It would just hurt him more to not able to meet you. He preferred to stay cold at you, while seeing you from afar than to completely lose you. Sungyeol stopped walking and turned around to see you were still standing there, unmoving with sad expression plastered on your face. ‘I’m sorry ___-ah’

 

***

 

Sungyeol couldn’t concentrate on his photoshoot. He kept catching your sad figure everytime he striked a pose. Thank goodness the theme was gloomy and dark, so it didn’t affect his pose that much. Sungyeol kept glancing on you sadly everytime you had your head down. ‘___-ah... I missed you’

 

You on the other hand, were playing with your phone as you tried not to look sad, but failed. You glanced on your phone, to find no messages nor calls. Hoya was so busy that he couldn’t even take his phone out from his pocket. Although you had made up with him, situation hadn’t changed into a better one lately. Dongwoo sometimes would text you, but being a busy manager of a restaurant, he couldn’t do it frequently. Only Sungyeol and Woohyun who were able to talk to you. Woohyun was now busy with his florist as his florist was now under reconstruction, making him busy like a bee going here and there and not able to call you. And the one left to talk to was Sungyeol, but being weird one, he suddenly acted cold towards you. To know that you had no one else to talk, you now planned to ask directly to Sungyeol what was wrong with him.

 

Sungyeol had just finished his session as he now walked out from the set. You quickly stood up and followed him from behind. Instead of slowing down his step, he quickened his pace, trying to leave you. You took a faster reaction, gripping him on his wrist and turning him to you.

 

“What happened Sungyeol?”, you asked as you tried to meet his eyes. His gaze was wandering around, and found the manager standing there, glaring at you.

 

“N-Nothing ___-sshi”, he said formally as he tried to slip away from your grip.

 

“___-sshi? Why formal Sungyeol?”, you asked again. Sungyeol bit his lower lip and looked down to his feet. ‘I’m sorry ___-ah, this is for you’

 

He looked up again with a different expression, a cold one to be exact. You were frozen to see him like this and unconsciously loosened your grip.

 

“I told you it’s nothing”, he said flatly as he finally released from your grip.

 

“You... hadn’t replied my texts... I don’t think it’s nothing...”, you muttered but loud enough for him to hear. He shrugged his shoulder and turned his back to her.

 

“It’s not that we are close”, he said, making you flinched in sadness. ‘Not close? I thought we were friends’

 

“Just act like we never know each other before. Act professionally, we are partners.”, he said again, before walking away from you. Your shoulders deflated as you could feel tears were dwelling up on your eyelids. Before you knew, you were now running to the different way Sungyeol walked to, and ended up stopping in the middle of an empty hallway.

 

‘I thought Sungyeol was my friend.... but why am I feeling like I lost another piece of my heart? Why is he acting like that? He was nice at the first place....’


Updated! Sorry it's short, writer's block... again...

Thank you for reading

Comments and subscribes are still loved :D